Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus and the markets

• 15-03-2020 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

I have a KBC SIVEK account. I’m wondering should I close it or sit tight? Markers are going into meltdown tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

If you can afford to ride the storm out do so. If not then close it. Buying blue chip shares at the moment cheaply is going to offer some serious rewards down the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s not a substantial amount of money so I might just stop further lodgements if that is possible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Gael23 wrote: »
    It’s not a substantial amount of money so I might just stop further lodgements if that is possible.

What age are you and how is your health? These are the things that should determine your approach.

If you are older, heading for retirement and in need of the cash within the next five years, then an exit might be a consideration.

On the other had if not, then you continue doing exactly as you are doing, change nothing. The dollar cost averaging strategy works because you get to buy more for the same money. Fail to buy more in a down market and your strategy is dead.

If you have a 20 year horizon then the last thing you want is rising prices! You want to be able to buy as much as you can as cheap as you can. Your ideal situation is for prices to stay depressed for the next 15 years and only start rising then.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    What age are you and how is your health? These are the things that should determine your approach.

If you are older, heading for retirement and in need of the cash within the next five years, then an exit might be a consideration.

On the other had if not, then you continue doing exactly as you are doing, change nothing. The dollar cost averaging strategy works because you get to buy more for the same money. Fail to buy more in a down market and your strategy is dead.

If you have a 20 year horizon then the last thing you want is rising prices! You want to be able to buy as much as you can as cheap as you can. Your ideal situation is for prices to stay depressed for the next 15 years and only start rising then.
    I’m 29 and the money is potentially a house deposit or a portion of it within the next 5 years. There’s €6000 there currently and I add €300 a month. I could reduce that and have it as longer term saving.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I’m 29 and the money is potentially a house deposit or a portion of it within the next 5 years. There’s €6000 there currently and I add €300 a month. I could reduce that and have it as longer term saving.

So you don’t have a 20 year horizon and the money is needed in the short term... well it’s a bit late now, this is not something you should have been doing from the start.

If you need cash in the short term, say five years then equities are never the best choice. I’d definitely stop all further contributions and the 6k already in the market - nobody can say what will happen in a short period.

• Advertisement

It’s lost 5% so far this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It’s lost 5% so far this morning

You probably gained that between 7-8pm Friday. It was fake money

Advertisement