Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just One - New Game Sign Up Thread

Options
  • 12-03-2020 6:37pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

This game is brought to you by well... me - and shamelessly stolen from another site (thanks for the PM Deja Boo ;) )

Just One is a puzzle game - with some simple rules, outlined below:
    To play the game, everyone on each team but one person is given a list of secret words for that round. Then everyone submits a 1-word clue to those secret words. The game mod removes any duplicate words and posts the unique clues and the one person from each team then guesses the secret words.

For each word the guesser gets correct, their team gets a point; if wrong, they lose a point. They can also pass on guessing a word, and the team's score is unchanged.

Example:
    Secret Word: Michael Jackson

Clues submitted:
    Thriller
    Moonwalk
    Superstar
    Dance
    Moonwalk
    Thriller

Thriller and Moonwalk were duplicated so would be thrown out and the guesser would be given the clues:

Superstar, Dance

They would then either guess Michael Jackson (1 point) or Taylor Swift (-1 point) or pass (0 points).

I will go with 4 teams of 5 for the first game, to be reviewed depending on interest.

Further rules to follow in the next post, but honestly - it isn't complicated.

1. Clarabel
    2. Kolido
    3. BuileBeag
    4. sKeith
    5. Electric Nitwit
    6. kitten_k
    7. Trigger
    8. Reberetta
    9. Deja Boo
    10. Also Starring Levar Burton
    11. tusk
    12. duffman13
    13. lassykk
    14. Mollyb60
    15. Green&Red
    16. Barney92
    17. Homer J. Fong
    18. mustang shelly
    19. MicksJaguar
    20. LadySkunk

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Here are some additional rules:

What clues are allowable

The clue must be composed of a single word.

Note: a digit, a number, an acronym, an onomatopoeia, or a special character are all considered to be words.

Example: 007 is allowed to help someone guess Bond, just like Riiiiiinnng or SMS are allowed to help someone guess Telephone, and $ is allowed to help someone guess America.

If an acronym is used, the secret word may not be part of it. For example, AT&T would not be a valid clue if the secret word was telephone.

Also, hyphenated words are totally fine, as long as their existence predates this thread (see more below). "yellow-haired" and "tow-headed" would be valid clues for blonde. "not-brunette" would not be a valid clue for blonde.

What clues are not allowable

A clue may not be identical or similar to any of the other secret words. For example, if "fox" and "fire" are two of the secret words, then fire is not an allowable clue for fox, and fox is not an allowable clue for fire.

In addition:

1) The clue may not be the secret word written in a different language. Calamari is not a valid clue for "squid."

2) The clue may not be from the same family as, or have the same root as, the secret word. Prince is not a valid clue for "princess." Washroom is not a valid clue for "bathroom."

3) The clue must be a pre-existing word. That is, you cannot make up words for the sake of the clue, but words that are not in the dictionary but exist independently of this thread are valid clues. Example - yumyumjuice would not be a valid clue for "alcohol."

4) The clue may not contain a significant component of the secret word, even if the root is different. Grass is not a valid clue for "grasshopper," and grasshopper is not a valid clue for "grass."

5) The clue must refer to the word itself, and not a homonym of the word or a similar-looking word. If the word is "sun," then daughter is not a valid clue. If the word is "mind," then Kaling is not a valid clue.

6) The clue must relate to the meaning of the word rather than, for example, how the word sounds or how many letters it has. Leather is not a valid clue for "weather," and three is not a valid clue for "egg."

When will clues be duplicated:

Clues that are too similar to other clues will be duped at the moderator's discretion. I will try to be consistent and apply the duplication rules in good faith. I may solicit advice on what I perceive to be close calls. I may make mistakes, but I will try not to, and I ask for your forgiveness if I do.

Fundamentally, when words appear similar, I am looking to see whether cluegivers have distinct concepts in mind that do not share the same root. For example, if the secret word is "lawn," then grass and grasshopper would be valid clues that are not duplicates, because their root is different (grass and hopper, respectively) and they are conveying different things. Likewise, Superman and Supergirl would not be duped, because the roots are different (man and girl) and they are referring to different things. However, bite and bitten as clues for "eat" would be considered duplicates of each other, as would highway and freeway as clues for "road." Again, there will be judgment calls, but I will do my best to be consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

yes please

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I'm not out

Count me in please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

In

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Couple of things I forgot to mention:

I will randomise the teams from the sign up list.

Teams can then discuss amongst themselves and decide their guesser.

I'll mention the time limits for the clues to go up once the game thread is posted - most likely 24 hrs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

In

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Beam me up Nec... I mean I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I've no clue...

...so I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Do we submit the clues by PM yeah? It's probably clear in the OP's but I'm having a brainfart :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sign Me Up!

Trigger wrote:
    Do we submit the clues by PM yeah? It's probably clear in the OP's but I'm having a brainfart

That's correct yes.

I'll supply the words to the teams and you each send me back a clue for the guesser.

I'll then post the non-duplicated clues on the game thread for the guessers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

gwan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Sure why not, might have extra free time in the coming weeks

Up to 12 now, nice number where we could go with three teams of 4 players if needs be.

I'll leave sign ups open across the weekend anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'd give this a go too if it doesn't throw numbers out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Yeah count me in. Could need the entertainment over the next week.

Obviously teammates can't confer on their clues? Hence the duplicates.

Mollyb60 wrote:
    Obviously teammates can't confer on their clues? Hence the duplicates.

Yeah no conferring. I'll just have to trust ye ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Yes please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

In too please, if there's still room.

Up to 16 now, again a nice round number if we can't get a full 20 :)

Sure count me in, I've no qualm with messing up your nice round total. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,370 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Sure I'll throw my hat into the ring if there's still room

Up to 18 now. I can do three teams of 6 if needs be...

*Waits for someone to sign up and wreck my perfect number planning again*

(Jokes, 2 more sign ups and I can start to kick this thing off :D )

And we have 20 players :)

I will now randomise the teams... be back shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

In

Ok folks, my randomiser has produced the following 4 teams:

Team 1:
    LadySkunk
    Electric Nitwit
    duffman13
    Deja Boo
    mustang shelly

Team 2:
    Homer J. Fong
    Trigger
    Also Starring Levar Burton
    Mollyb60
    Reberetta

Team 3:
    Barney92
    Kolido
    MicksJaguar
    sKeith
    BuileBeag

Team 4:
    tusk
    Clarabel
    Green&Red
    lassykk
    kitten_k

You can give yourselves a name if ye like :)

Teams now have until Monday evening at 6pm to decide on their guessers, I can randomise the guesser if teams wish also.

After that I will PM the other 4 members of the team the keywords and they can PM me back their clues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Necro wrote: »

Team 4:
    tusk
    Clarabel

Green&Red
    lassykk
    kitten_k

This does not bode well...

Sorry in advance team

Advertisement