Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-02-2020, 14:14   #1
blue note

Corona Virus

What are people thinking about this? Supposed to be flying to Italy tomorrow! Concerned about the airport and gondolas and the like.
Advertisement
24-02-2020, 15:53   #2
Rew

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue note View Post
What are people thinking about this? Supposed to be flying to Italy tomorrow! Concerned about the airport and gondolas and the like.
where are you going geographically in relation to the outbreak? Have you travel insurance, is it invalidated if you go against the warning?
24-02-2020, 15:58   #3
blue note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
where are you going geographically in relation to the outbreak? Have you travel insurance, is it invalidated if you go against the warning?
Cervinia. Dept of foreign affairs advise against travelling to the regions affected, which includes where we fly into and up to about 20km east of our resort.

I'm wondering even if we go could we just end up quarantined anyway. Might not even get to go skiing.

Not certain on the insurance. Pretty sure we won't get anything back if we don't go because flights aren't cancelled. And I'd be surprised if we'd get anything back if we went because we'd be going against advice from the department of foreign affairs.
24-02-2020, 16:12   #4
Rew

Just saw this haven't had time to fully read:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...ncel-1.4183267
24-02-2020, 22:24   #5
a148pro

You'd better get the international pass now blue note! Ski down into neutral zermatt!

Rew makes a good point re travel insurance, you'd best check the small print as I'd be very surprised if they don't have a clause withdrawing cover if you travel against advice of embassy

I don't know how tied in to cervinia you are, you can just continue up the road and through mont blanc tunnel and be in chamonix in maybe another half hour? Nicer town to walk around and very dramatic mountain scenery for romantic buzzard side
Advertisement
25-02-2020, 16:11   #6
a148pro

Lengthy discussion here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151841

Older demographic on snowheads. Many snow granddad keyboard warriors. Very much at risk, hence lengthy thread

There is a post towards the end where the Aosta valley resorts confirm that they are all fully open for business (Cervinia is in the Aosta valley)

I think this is really God testing your marriage by throwing the two of you into a cubicle in a latex suit for 14 days

On a serious note, I think this could in effect be the end of the European ski season this year, assuming the spread continues and that the authorities approach will be lock down when it lands
25-02-2020, 16:29   #7
blue note

We're still in Dublin. Decided not to go. I think the holiday would be fine, but the chances of being forced to voluntarily quarantine ourselves would be too high when we get home. People are nuts about this thing and we had to factor that into our decision. I started a new job a month ago and am on site with a client on Monday. My office couldn't realistically let me go and there's a decent chance people would be in to hr in my office demanding i be sent home for a fortnight.

My wifes (sounds odd saying that!) Office building had people in China for the Chinese new years. They weren't allowed back into the building for 2 weeks even though they were nowhere near any of the dangerous areas.

I think the likely scenario in cervinia would be that we'd have a great holiday, I reckon Italy will contain the cases now listening to all they're doing and then we would get home and work would be very unimpressed that we knowingly went there considering the risks.

So.... we've booked Andorra for 3 days, flying to Toulouse tomorrow! Not the end of the world. An expensive change, but we'll live. And I don't care what's in the air in Andorra, I'm going. If there's a strain or coronavirus zipping around on segways targeting blond men from Waterford with above average schlongs I'm still going!
Thanks from:
25-02-2020, 16:37   #8
a148pro

Brilliant, fair play!

I think you made the right call for sure. I was going to suggest Scotland as a novelty but Andorra better idea!

Enjoy it now the doubt is behind you (fecking lifts in Cervinia would have been closed anyway )
25-02-2020, 17:14   #9
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue note View Post
We're still in Dublin. Decided not to go. I think the holiday would be fine, but the chances of being forced to voluntarily quarantine ourselves would be too high when we get home. People are nuts about this thing and we had to factor that into our decision. I started a new job a month ago and am on site with a client on Monday. My office couldn't realistically let me go and there's a decent chance people would be in to hr in my office demanding i be sent home for a fortnight.

My wifes (sounds odd saying that!) Office building had people in China for the Chinese new years. They weren't allowed back into the building for 2 weeks even though they were nowhere near any of the dangerous areas.

I think the likely scenario in cervinia would be that we'd have a great holiday, I reckon Italy will contain the cases now listening to all they're doing and then we would get home and work would be very unimpressed that we knowingly went there considering the risks.

So.... we've booked Andorra for 3 days, flying to Toulouse tomorrow! Not the end of the world. An expensive change, but we'll live. And I don't care what's in the air in Andorra, I'm going. If there's a strain or coronavirus zipping around on segways targeting blond men from Waterford with above average schlongs I'm still going!

People aren't 'nuts' about this thing it's now spread west towards France and into south Italy , croatia and Austria.

Contain the cases is it.... It's ramped up

Anyone that wants to go on a holiday to an infected area needs their head examined and could and would be responsible for spreading it home.

They'd be selfish nut bags for the sake of a snow holiday getting ill staying in your room for the duration or worse death.

Nuts indeed....
Advertisement
25-02-2020, 17:38   #10
Rew

Quote:
Schools in Wicklow and Dublin taking precautions after return of students from Italy ski trips
http://jrnl.ie/5021512f
25-02-2020, 17:56   #11
listermint

Three more deaths in northern Italy .
25-02-2020, 19:10   #12
Rew

6 Nations match cancelled

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020...e-coronavirus/
26-02-2020, 22:21   #13
trashcan

Heading for Austria on Saturday. Bit concerning with two cases in Innsbruck now.
26-02-2020, 23:29   #14
Rew

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcan View Post
Heading for Austria on Saturday. Bit concerning with two cases in Innsbruck now.
From what I have read they are 2 Italians who traveled from an affected area in Italy to Innsbruck where they work. The Austrians have isolated them and 12 people they came in contact with so at this point it has broken out. 1 of them works in a hotel so thats been locked down for cleaning.
Thanks from:
26-02-2020, 23:32   #15
trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
From what I have read they are 2 Italians who traveled from an affected area in Italy to Innsbruck where they work. The Austrians have isolated them and 12 people they came in contact with so at this point it has broken out. 1 of them works in a hotel so thats been locked down for cleaning.
Yep, saw that. Rationally I think it should be ok. Also saw this afternoon that the hotel lockdown has been lifted, so that's a good sign.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion