Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

903 new safety camera zones

Options
  • 10-02-2020 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

Don't see a thread on them yet. Apologies if its a duplicate.

903 new safety camera zones from 6am on 17 February 2020.- Gosafe Map - link Basically the entire county :pac:

Source: Garda on facebook and their website

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Pure greed.

No more, no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How many more cameras though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Exactly, if there's no additional camera vans then the odds are actually lessened?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Exactly, if there's no additional camera vans then the odds are actually lessened?

Are these new camera zones bring introduced to facilitate the use of the new camera speed guns that AGS got recently ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mikeecho wrote: »
    Are these new camera zones bring introduced to facilitate the use of the new camera speed guns that AGS got recently ?

AGS can set up anywhere, this is for Go Safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Saw a speed van parked outside St James hospital this morning at 6.45, up the hill from Mount Brown service station on the same side. A line of traffic doing around 40 kmh, assume thats a 50 zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,276 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

You literally cannot get in or out of Navan without the odds of a speed van being there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

With the removal of 500ish previous zones, does this mean that people who acquired points at these areas would be able to appeal, given the gardai have determined these areas are not suitable for a speed safety measure.

Ps. I have zero points currently and hope to keep it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Xwebstar

Can't see the point of all this handing out maps

Drivers speeding then where there's no vans

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

With the removal of 500ish previous zones, does this mean that people who acquired points at these areas would be able to appeal, given the gardai have determined these areas are not suitable for a speed safety measure.
    Of course there would be absolutely no grounds for an appeal on this basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

For a moment, to play devils advocate but make two serious points...

The road outside my estate which my house if very very close to is a 50 zone. Cars often do 60+ there. At night you can hear cars do significantly more and I have seen cars do what looks like close to 100.
    For cars pulling out of my estate, the visibility is poor due to a high wall with small gap. Kids play football on the estate side of the wall.
    This is my neighbourhood and I hate that people put my friends and family in danger by going over the speed limits and risking accidents.

Other point - I see this all the time - on the N7, but could be anywhere. Cars race up doing 120 in 100 zone. Traffic moving along nicely at the marked 100. The faster cars reach traffic, break, and bunch everything together. Cars doing 100 in the inside or middle lane can't get space to move out and overtake cars doing 80-100 due to the traffic congestion, making the situation worse.
    If those cars stuck to 100, more people would have a chance of overtaking and relieving the pinch points around junctions and slower moving vehicles.

The system clearly isn't working as evidenced by speeding drivers everywhere

The vans need to be in random locations

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't forget Gardai roads policing are been kitted out with new tech too.

They will no longer need to pull you over and you may well receive the fine in the post as the equipment records the speed and registration.

They will no longer need to pull you over and you may well receive the fine in the post as the equipment records the speed and registration.

Can they check tax and NCT with the new kit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Xwebstar wrote: »

With the new phone units they can.

With the Lazer I don't believe so.

They already can with ANPR. We just need an insurance database to get the uninsured next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Ps. I have zero points currently and hope to keep it that way.

Doubt it.

By the same logic, couldn't the state lower speed limits on certain roads and retrospectively charge you for speeding despite the fact you were obeying the then speed limit?

MaceFace wrote: »
    For a moment, to play devils advocate but make two serious points...

The road outside my estate which my house if very very close to is a 50 zone. Cars often do 60+ there. At night you can hear cars do significantly more and I have seen cars do what looks like close to 100.
    For cars pulling out of my estate, the visibility is poor due to a high wall with small gap. Kids play football on the estate side of the wall.
    This is my neighbourhood and I hate that people put my friends and family in danger by going over the speed limits and risking accidents.

Other point - I see this all the time - on the N7, but could be anywhere. Cars race up doing 120 in 100 zone. Traffic moving along nicely at the marked 100. The faster cars reach traffic, break, and bunch everything together. Cars doing 100 in the inside or middle lane can't get space to move out and overtake cars doing 80-100 due to the traffic congestion, making the situation worse.
    If those cars stuck to 100, more people would have a chance of overtaking and relieving the pinch points around junctions and slower moving vehicles.

You rarely see speed checks in estates and IMO they would be better there than on an N road or motorway. People rarely stick to the 50 limits and never the 30 limit. The ironic thing is that a lot of motorists are doing 80km/h on 100 limit roads and give you dirty looks if you overtake them, the same vehicle will be up your arse when you slow down to 50. Prime example is the N4 between the M50 and M4 which has regular speed checks there so most people stick with the limit, turn up the R136 and they ignore the limit.

If people stuck in the left lane unless overtaking it would reduce congestion. I've often driven past lines of cars in the outer lanes while doing the speed limit in the empty inside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

How does the new kit work, can they detect you head on say you were doing 81 in a 80 and met a cop car on the road coming toward you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Micky 32 wrote: »
    How does the new kit work, can they detect you head on say you were doing 81 in a 80 and met a cop car on the road coming toward you?

I believe it's just new handheld speed guns which can take photos and capture reg similar to the GoSafe vans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

The system clearly isn't working as evidenced by speeding drivers everywhere

The vans need to be in random locations

A much better system for large road/motorways would be average speed cameras. Throw a few of them along all the major national roads and motorways and watch the (at least Irish reg) Audis and BMWs slow down.

I see they will be on the M4 going into Dublin, all the way on the M50 to the airport and N4 going up to the M50 roundabout. Nice little cash earner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've been looking at the list of old and new camera zones a bit more closely, paying attention to roads near me, and it all looks a bit odd to me.

They claim, for example for the R755, a road I'm very familiar with and know all their hiding spots by now, that there are 2 "new" zones which have been there for years, and none at all in the existing list. Plus there's a spot where they can almost always be found, just as you enter Roundwood which isn't mentioned at all.

Alun wrote: »
    I've been looking at the list of old and new camera zones a bit more closely, paying attention to roads near me, and it all looks a bit odd to me.

They claim, for example for the R755, a road I'm very familiar with and know all their hiding spots by now, that there are 2 "new" zones which have been there for years, and none at all in the existing list. Plus there's a spot where they can almost always be found, just as you enter Roundwood which isn't mentioned at all.

575 zones removed, probably not making enough cash.

Maybe, but that doesn't explain the two zones that are being shown as "new" having been there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

But isn't that the point ?

Not making cash means they successfully reduced the number of speeders.

dmc17 wrote: »
    I believe it's just new handheld speed guns which can take photos and capture reg similar to the GoSafe vans

Ah so that means cars without tax or insurance, disqualified drivers, cars with your loot in the boot , defective vehicles are more likely not to be stopped because of this new tech?

You then have the so called Gardai urging people not to flash other drivers for this apparent reason LOL

Or that there wasn't a significant number of speeders on that section in the first place and any accidents there had other causes.

But isn't that the point ?

Well if you want to think you’re in a perfect world, ok then lets go with that theory ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I see they will be on the M4 going into Dublin, all the way on the M50 to the airport and N4 going up to the M50 roundabout. Nice little cash earner there.

Pity they are unlikely to also target the bus lane drivers during morning traffic, I counted 15 vehicles this morning between celbridge and Lucan exits (some with indicator on for left, some with hazard lights on and some just driving in bus lane) ... All driving in bus lane while I plodded along in slow moving traffic.

I don't have a problem with gardai enforcing the law (even if it is seen as a cash generator) but don't just pick one offence and concentrate on that, full enforcement and zero tolerance policy when policing a zone, encourage a change in driver behaviour.
    Blitz drivers ...catch as many as possible and encourage no excuses, one of my headlights went last night on my commute home, I haven't changed it yet but if I'm caught ... I know it's my fault for not fixing it, I have zero ability when it comes to this sort of thing,so I will try to book the car with the mechanic asap, it is in need of a service soon enough too.

It always surprises me that the gardai don't blitz areas .... IE.have a speed camera set up, and 5mins further down the road have a checkpoint for tax/insurance, NCT etc

Advertisement