Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bishop says Yoga is not suitable for a parish school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Your Face wrote: »
    Thread full of vomit.

Too many big words and history?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

And of course science evolved in Europe and nowhere else, it’s hardly out there to suggest that there’s something in the culture of Europe - in which Christianity plays a large part - that allowed it to develop there and not elsewhere.

Is that sarcasm? I really hope it is.

Science was well established by the Greeks long before Jesus. There are dozens of promient Greek philosophers, mathmeticians and logisticians.
    There's also innumerable inventions and discovieries made in the Muslim world too.
    Science has developed before, during, after, in the absense of and in spite of Christianity. To say it's in any way dependent on it is woefully untrue.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Is that sarcasm? I really hope it is.

Science was well established by the Greeks long before Jesus. There are dozens of promient Greek philosophers, mathmeticians and logisticians.
    There's also innumerable inventions and discovieries made in the Muslim world too.
    Science has developed before, during, after, in the absense of and in spite of Christianity. To say it's in any way dependent on it is woefully untrue.

You may want to edit this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Revolution

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Wasn't Galileo ordered to turn himself in for trial by the Christians ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I was talking about an long era prior to Galileo which is over emphasised anyway. Evolution isn’t seen as blasphemous in Catholicism btw. Contraception isn’t science.

It was essential to end the dark ages that Christianity spread, as it spread literacy across the continent. Catholic Christians founded the university systems across Europe.

Why not watch Ken Clarke’s civilisation.

The supposed hostility between science and Christianity is over emphasised as well, of course. The west had a scientific and industrial revolution long before it became majority atheist. And the scientific revolution started, by most accounts, in the 16C, (per wiki) the publication in 1543 of Nicolaus Copernicus's De revolutionibus orbium coelestium (On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres) is often cited as marking the beginning of the Scientific Revolution. It’s clear then that science originated in a Christian Europe.

He was a canon or priest in the church. Many if not all of the scientists of the “enlightenment” (a bullsh1t term in my view) were Christian, as late as the 19C, Maxwell - the most important 19C physicist - was an elder in the scottish church.

Arguing that science originated in spite of Christianity would mean that Christianity wasnt all that powerful, which isn’t true.

And of course science evolved in Europe and nowhere else, it’s hardly out there to suggest that there’s something in the culture of Europe - in which Christianity plays a large part - that allowed it to develop there and not elsewhere.

Are you honestly saying that science only existed in Europe? Did Egypt not have science?

Did Incas and Aztecs not have it?

Can you define your interpretation of science?

• Advertisement

Christianity largely regressed after the fall of Rome. For instance the Anglo Saxons weren’t originally Christian which means that Britain de- Christianised for a while. The vikings weren’t Christian and were major impediments to civilisational growth given how destructive the raids were. The franks were pagan invaders of Christian Gaul. If these pagan tribes hadn’t Christianised it’s hard to see how Europe would have recovered, unless some kind of Roman Empire re-asserted.

300 years is plenty long and the Carolingian Renaissance was a Christian Renaissance. I would end the dark ages about there, although there was a regression for a century.

Most of the agricultural improvements were in the later Middle Ages. Clearly agricultural and industrial growth depend on stability not continuous raids.

This is totally confused. I didn’t say that the rest of the world wasn’t doing well in Europe’s dark ages since I was talking about Europe only and the supposed advances in matematics that came to Europe later on (your timeline is totally confused)
    were adopted and improved upon in Christian Europe.

I'm not sure of your argument.

Religion is the main factor during this time that united Western Europe and pushed us in the same direction. Not saying it was a good direction, but it was A direction.
    But that's not unique to Christianity. Any widespread religion could have done this. Islam was doing the same in Middle East and North Africa from 500AD to 1000AD as Muslims pushed into N. Africa and Spain.

Who knows how different the world could have been if the Mongols never existed. Quite likely Asia or Middle East would be the most developed regions in the world.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Are you honestly saying that science only existed in Europe? Did Egypt not have science?

Yes I am saying that.

My interpretation is the standard one. The scientific revolution started in Europe.

In any case you seem to have abandoned your original argument about the church being anti science to now wondering what science exactly is.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Wasn't Galileo ordered to turn himself in for trial by the Christians ?

Yawn. Seriously. Read a bloody book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I was talking about an long era prior to Galileo which is over emphasised anyway.

Over emphasised ?

It took the filthy Christians 300 years to apologise

“We order that by a public edict the book of Dialogues of Galileo Galilei be prohibited, and We condemn thee to the prison of this Holy Office during Our will and pleasure; and as a salutary penance We enjoin on thee that for the space of three years thou shalt recite once a week the Seven Penitential Psalms.”

Galileo agreed not to teach the heresy anymore and spent the rest of his life under house arrest. It took more than 300 years for the Church to admit that Galileo was right and to clear his name of heresy."

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/galileo-is-convicted-of-heresy

Now who's getting their timelines confused.

One moment we're talking about the Dark Ages which you've defined as Fall of Roman Empire to Carolingian Renaissance (late 400'sAD to 800'sAD), the next you're talking about the Scientific Revolution nearly 1000 years later.

EDIT: You have to remember the state of the rest of the "developed" world at this time. Most of Asia and Middle East were dealing with the aftermath of the Mongol's, the largest empire that has ever existed, who had killed 10% of the world's population and had no interest in science or learning. Europe was the only place on earth where science could actually develop.

I would highly recommend the book Guns, Germs and Steel, which explains why science, art and literature developed where they did. It has very little to do with Christianity.

Anyways, we're WAAAY off topic here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Yes I am saying that.

My interpretation is the standard one. The scientific revolution started in Europe.

In any case you seem to have abandoned your original argument about the church being anti science to now wondering what science exactly is.

No I'm not. You said there was no science outside Europe and used it to argue that Catholicism was the reason. Catholicism is essentially anti science and was definitely way more so in the past. Scientists were excommunicated

Also you never defined science. I define it to include chemistry and physics. To say that the pyramids weren't built without physics is wrong. Egypt had embalming techniques which were way before anyone in Europe had.

Just because some scientists were religious doesn't mean that Catholicism was the reason for their discoveries. Also you use Christianity and Catholicism interchangeably.

But the point of the thread and my argument was that the bishop is wrong to say exercise and mediation is anti church.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Now who's getting their timelines confused.

One moment we're talking about the Dark Ages which you've defined as Fall of Roman Empire to Carolingian Renaissance (late 400'sAD to 800'sAD), the next you're talking about the Scientific Revolution nearly 1000 years later.

EDIT: You have to remember the state of the rest of the "developed" world at this time. Most of Asia and Middle East was ruled by the Mongol's, the largest empire that has ever existed. Europe was the only place on earth where science could actually develop.

I would highly recommend the book Guns, Germs and Steel, which explains why science, art and literature developed where they did. It has very little to do with Christianity.

Anyways, we're WAAAY off topic here.

I’m off topic? It’s a response to

So when I do that my timeline is off. So you’ve gone from science existing prior to Christianity and outside Europe to an excuse as to why it only happened in Europe. These are exact opposite arguments.

I’ve read guns germs and steel. It’s not that useful.

I’m off topic? It’s a response to

So when I do that my timeline is off.

I’ve read guns germs and steel. It’s not that useful.

They're not exact opposites.

Your arguement is the Chritianity = Science. I'm saying that whether Europe was Christian or not has no bearing on scientific developement. If Europe was entirely Muslim, would we be stuck with 5th century technology?
    What your saying still doesn't make sense. Never in the history of the world has scientific advancement been a results of solely Christian influences.

When world events allowed, science was developed everywhere it could. When world events stopped scientific developement in one region, it continued in the other. If the Mongols had trashed Europe in the 14th century, we'd be nowhere near where we are now, regardless of Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There is enough anxiety amongst young children already
    and why is that? its certainly nothing to do with a lack of yoga.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

But is that part of his role or not ? cause I would have thought it is.
    So we can debate as long as we want - but impacted are catholic schools and families from those parishes imo.

Otherwise this is not as bad or diverse as ... hearing about the German story where Muslim parents were trying to influence kindergartens not to serve gummy bears and pork based meals... Now that caused some outrage ...

I note the photo of the bishop used in The Irish Times article. Is everybody sure that somebody with a face like this is *not* taking the piss?

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

Actually this smug git correctly calculated that if he says some controversial/verifiably ignorant or stupid thing then he'll get lots of publicity /reactionary comments. It's standard pr practice in right-wing/conservative circles. Truth is that this guy is just some guy in a suit who gets his "authority" from a supernatural being living in the sky and he has no qualifications in education, childcare or yoga. So just let him off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Unreal, just unreal

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Catholic church. Finger on the pulse as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

i imagine the type of school that has yoga teachers also has children with the names Sebastian, Tarquin, Sloan, Jasper, India, Kingsley,Margaux, Brinsley, Orson, Quentin,Francesca and so on, you know the type.

1993 is looking for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

My mother in law is an absolute holy roller, goes to mass every day, handed out save the 8th leaflets etc and as far as she is concerned yoga, reiki and the like are the work of satan himself. She read something in one of those religious magazines a number of years ago by a priest in Poland who said it and since then she is not for turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My mother in law is an absolute holy roller, goes to mass every day, handed out save the 8th leaflets etc and as far as she is concerned yoga, reiki and the like are the work of satan himself. She read something in one of those religious magazines a number of years ago by a priest in Poland who said it and since then she is not for turning.

Be happy for her, she ll get a good spot in heaven, and if you look after her, she might even save a spot for yourself, so embrace misery and ditch that mindfulness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

spurious wrote: »
    The Catholic church. Finger on the pulse as usual.

At least its not kids.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So,

Church is not anti - science.

Yoga is grand for schools.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Technically the Bishop is correct.

It is nothing new. I have been teaching Yoga for 30 years - long ago the Parish Priests would regulrly preach about the local yoga class from the pulpit, but so what, that is their right. It has never bothered me even a tiny bit. I feel respectful of their religion. The nuns have always graciously rented convent spaces. Some priests likewise rent community spaces over which they have control.

It is kind of a pity that the Bishop does not use his objection as an opportunity to hone his metaphysical argumentation, instead of some infantile dismissal. It would be more honest if the clergy appreciated the intellectual capacity of their flock, rather than shepherding them as a helpless flock, but then I think this intellectual contempt for their congregation is more behind the decline in Catholicism than any abuses. Bishops could draw on fascinating theologians such as Thomas Aquinas or Johannes Scotus to make arguments for the raison d'etre of their positions, but instead they choose to finger wag as the all-knowing paternalists.

Anyway Yoga, in spite of the bastardisation of it by almost all western practitioners, whereby the metaphysical element has been reduced to a feel good, Im all right Jack, New Age NLP-style delusion, is in fact deeply roted in Vedic metaphysics. I don't teach that aspect though I have never tried to pretend that Yoga is simply a stretching routine. It is not. There are many ultra physical types of yoga out there but they simply trade under the name yoga - they are (often extreme) aerobics under a presumptive name. Nothing wrong with them - they are what they are.

Thing about Vedic metaphysics and its later interrogations is that it runs the gamut from full on atheism to full on union with God. And owing to the very open nature of the Hindu psyche people from opposite ends of this spectrum can be happily married to each other and understand and accept the others point of view. Our western psyches with their emphasis on individualism are far more polarised.

But essentially Yoga is a metaphysical practice with a deeply religious background. The physical elements especially were codified in the late middle ages in books like Hatha Yoga Pradipika and the Samhitas. Its philosophical elements were codified much earlier by great thinkers like Patanjali and Shankaracharya - people often claim these philosophers were atheist but they were not (it could be argued that Shankaracharya was responding to the atheistic terms of the growing popularity of Buddhism of his times, and thus arguing on that level...but then again I think there is even an argument to be made that the atheism of Buddhism has been over-stated) . These philosophers were deeply rooted in the religious persuasions of their times. Elements of Yoga can be traced back to the Rig Veda, but it goes back even further and one could say that there are elements from the early shamanic cultures that are the beginnings of all religion planet wide. It is a highly elemental metaphysics.

The traditional metaphor of uniting Shiva and Shakti through the practises of yoga, refer on one level to those deities, and in India that would be a common understanding, not even as an allegory but as pure reality for the devotee, and on other levels to the potential inner union of the forces of nature or matter (Prakriti - Shakti) and pure consciousness (Purusha - Shiva). Yoga on all levels of manifestation is de facto full of gods, goddesses, metaphysics, religion. The Bishop is correct to know that in many ways, as a system which anticipates the human potential of self reliance when it comes to the experience of the numinous, yoga is antithetical to any Abrahamic religion that relies - in its exoteric manifestation, at least, which is what most know - on a priestly caste to intercede with the Divine on behalf of its adherents. Although there are interesting people like Bede Griffiths who made great inroads into bridging any divide.

Anyway. Fair cop, Bishop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TL:DR

Who cares?

Just another diktat from an increasingly irrelevant church that deserves all the ridicule it's getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Religion: Has say on the way it’s adherents should express their faith.

Nobody:

Boards.ie: :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Considering how the Church bastardised and adopted so many other pagan traditions and customs in its history you'd think they'd have their own version of yoga

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Mindfulness changed my life, its great and should be practiced in all schools for the sake of mental hygiene.
    Ignore the stupid catholics they are irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Catholicism if you like it or not is the reason the West is more advanced/civilized than the rest of the world.

I wouldnt call the old theocratic Ireland civilized or advanced given its repressiveness

Lets be honest though it was Catholicism that held a theocratic moral stranglehold on our polity for about 50/60 years. It was Catholicism that held back womens rights and lgbt rights for decades in this country. It was Catholicism responsible for a huge swathe of Irish institutional abuse of women and children.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement