Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Outsider - HBO *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I don't know anything about this story but that scene
    where the girl said 'No!'
    made me jump!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

It's an interesting one. The first half of the book is excellent but the second half is truly appalling so if they take it in a different approach it could be good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, what IS with all the King adaptations at the moment, they truly are everywhere. Presumably the author himself is getting a tidy line of cheques in the post over the last couple of years.

This looks interesting, suitably creepy, and another case of Bateman stretching his dramatic acting chops, though his range isn't exactly wide & varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Why oh why change one of the main characters (who's established in another TB & Book series) to a completely different person? I really dont understand why that had to be done.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

The book was OK, nothing special so I don't think I'd bother with this. I didn't watch Pet Semetary, the old one was creepy enough and this one looked too real, especially since we lost 2 pets this year. Since the release of IT there's been a rush to cash in on remakes of his back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It starts on Sky Atlantic 13th of January 2020 at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Really enjoyed the opening double episode.

I hadn't read the book so didn't know what I was heading into and I don't know what the King ending is.

Great performances so far from Bateman & Mendelsohn.

Just hope like all King adaptations the show runners can actually pull an ending out of it that King usually gives.

1 and 2: Oh jeez.. this show can be damn creepy in places!

Every freakin time it
    goes to yer mans wife and daugthers house and they are alone/in the dark it feels like there's gonna be a jump scare!

The victim
    and his family :( The kid murdered, mother heart attack, brother dead and father.. braindead? F**k!

WTF
    did yer man do to the kid? Sodomised and... Eat through his backbones? It looked like he'd been hollowed out.. but I didn't really stick around long enough to get a good look.
    WTF
    happened to that pig/boar/warthog thing? Are they implying there's a connection?

Because of Mindhunter, I'm checking crowds in the background to see if there might be any hints.

Then there's this
    guy in the hoodie.. I'm not sure he's the culprit here.. but there's definitely something up. It looks like he's been burned alive in a fire but survived? He might be a red herring.

One possibility is
    this other detective .. who obviously know detective stuff.. and hunts and maybe did that to the pig/boar/warthog thing,

Will have to see what's up with
    this nurse.
    The other clues I'm seeing are the cut with this nurse. So then that's blood that could have been used in the van. Fingerprints are probably easy to copy.
    Then it would seem that the family has a stalker.

Before that was all coming together, I was thinking..
    supernaturl: doppelganger or non-supernatural: twin

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Butson

Haven't read the books.
    First two episodes brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I read the book when it first came out and enjoyed and this is a faithful adaptation so far, has a bit of a True Detective Season 1 vibe about it and there is some supernatural elements to it. Really enjoying it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭This is it

Brilliant so far, really enjoyed the two episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Echo the above, I know nothing about the book and went into this with a completely clean slate. First two episodes extremely promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brevity

Just watched the first two episodes and I’m really enjoying it. Getting a True Detective vibe from it as well. Maybe a little Bosch?

I’m looking forward to the next one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Really reminds me of True Detective also. The same atmosphere of foreboding and gloom, the same beautifully shot panoramic camera-work. The autumnal, dusky kinda look.

:eek: :(

3:
    The scene in the barn
    creeped me out
    The scene with the shadow passing the little girl
    creeped me out

WTF was
    that about in the prison!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brevity

Ooooo boy this show is creepy.

Slydice wrote: »

WTF was
    that about in the prison!
    :eek:
    What happened Terry Maitland has happened before, unfortunately not everyone has an alibi as strong as his though, hence being in prison
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

DvB wrote: »
    What happened Terry Maitland has happened before, unfortunately not everyone has an alibi as strong as his though, hence being in prison
    so who was the guy coming to kill him? a relative of the victims maybe?

sweetie wrote: »
    so who was the guy coming to kill him? a relative of the victims maybe?
    Could have been anyone, assume child killers are considered the lowest of the low in the criminal community with no shortage of people willing to inflict violence on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thatsmighty

Enjoying this show greatly

I half had that much. I was wondering
    what made the guy kill himself instead of trying to live/fight

Slydice wrote: »
    I half had that much. I was wondering
    what made the guy kill himself instead of trying to live/fight
    IIRC in the book it was explained as the injustice of it all that made him commit suicide rather than allow someone do him harm on the basis he was a child killer when he knew he wasn't & had been wrongfully imprisoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

First two episodes were brilliant.

Bit of an "under the dome vibe" off the third, which isn't a good thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Watched all 3 episodes now. Loving it. Acting is fantastic. Great sense of dread and a True Detective vibe to it. Easily the best thing on TV at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

watched the first 3 last night. excellent start. see the true detective similarities. score really adds to the sense of dread and creepiness

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Holly gibney name seemed familiar and then it clicked with me, mr Mercedes.
    Episode 3 has me wanting more

Thats the one thing so far thats disappointing me. In the book its the same Holly Gibney as in Mr Mercedes and it even references events in that trilogy, but they've gone in a completely different direction here which is a shame as the outsider is listed as the first in the Holly Gibney series of books King is meant to be working on.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I prefer this character version

We'll agree to disagree so.

I prefer the way Justine Lupe plays the part as to me its incredibly like the character as I had pictured her when reading the books.

To be fair though i've only seen her in 1 episode so far, happy to see how the series (& her character) develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

We'll agree to disagree so.

I prefer the way Justine Lupe plays the part as to me its incredibly like the character as I had pictured her when reading the books.

To be fair though i've only seen her in 1 episode so far, happy to see how the series (& her character) develops.

I agree, silly decision by the producers of this show. It would be different if Mr Mercedes was off the air but the actress on that show nails the Holly from the books. It's a shame HBO didn't do a deal with AT&T Audience to use the same actress in both series.

• Advertisement

I agree, silly decision by the producers of this show. It would be different if Mr Mercedes was off the air but the actress on that show nails the Holly from the books. It's a shame HBO didn't do a deal with AT&T Audience to use the same actress in both series.

Glad its not just me that thinks Justine Lupe nails it. I thought she was superb in Mr Mercedes & actually pictured her in the part when reading the outsider.

Advertisement