Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next GLAS scheme ?

Options
  • 07-10-2019 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Any news on the proposed sucesser to the current GLAS which expires next year ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is it Sept 2020 that Glas1 runs out?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thought I heard it wouldn't be repeated, certainly not in its current form.
    I would expect something more comprehensive around wildlife and also minimising carbon. Might take the form of a more individual plan for each farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Water John wrote: »
    Thought I heard it wouldn't be repeated, certainly not in its current form.
    I would expect something more comprehensive around wildlife and also minimising carbon. Might take the form of a more individual plan for each farm.

They'll be a new scheme alright, legally required now.

You can see here, a lot of environmental standards may be tied to BPS.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/recognising-the-importance-of-hedgerows-and-woodland-habitats/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Local farmer told me that to qualify for Glas he planted blackcurrant bushes in his hedgerow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Local farmer told me that to qualify for Glas he planted blackcurrant bushes in his hedgerow.

I planted blackberry bushes in mine.
    They are very successful so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Nekarsulm wrote: »

I planted blackberry bushes in mine.
    They are very successful so far!
    Fecking briars are very successful alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How do I register my 4.5 acres as a farm? I've loads of blackcurrant bushes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

How do I register my 4.5 acres as a farm? I've loads of blackcurrant bushes :D

Notice the East Europeans back home very keen on gathering wild fruit like this - and mushrooms;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Notice the East Europeans back home very keen on gathering wild fruit like this - and mushrooms;)
    I brought our Latvian friends daughters blackberry picking on the farm a few weeks ago. I haven't seen any local children/farming children picking blackberries in years - TBH I think they would starve quicker :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Like other years, I brought our Latvian friends daughters blackberry picking on the farm a few weeks ago. I haven't seen any local children/farming children picking blackberries in years - TBH I think they would starve quicker :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭Grueller

Base price wrote: »
    Like other years, I brought our Latvian friends daughters blackberry picking on the farm a few weeks ago. I haven't seen any local children/farming children picking blackberries in years - TBH I think they would starve quicker :o

My two pick them every year. They got 16 lbs this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There was an article in the financial times phrased from Poles living in the UK.
    It basically went on about how the Poles will be fine and know how to live after brexit. They grew up in communist times when food was short and what to stockpile and what vegetables to eat.
    Seems all the brits could die from scurvy and the Poles will be living on cabbage and preserved cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »

Did it ourselves as kids,
    Say a parent scolding a child for doing it as there is poison on them
    It’s sad how trying to protect our kids means they miss out on life’s pleasures

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

3million allocated in budget for piloting new agri environmental schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

sonnybill wrote: »
    3million allocated in budget for piloting new agri environmental schemes

How far would 3M go if every farmer joined

Good grief, they've enough piloting. Last time the the Glas designers never consulted the Organic section in the Dept.
    €5M that was left over elsewhere was what reopened Organic Scheme. Might cover 200 farmers. What do they expect €3M to do?

Hard Knocks, it would buy a few pints of an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

How far would 3M go if every farmer joined

3 million - only Researching into what would work best

200 -250 million - Current glas annual cost at say

50,000 farmers at E5000

So, looks like next Glas will be delayed for years so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Last I heard, which was ages ago, was GLAS to be rolled over for another year. That may be out of date now.

• Advertisement

It's a 5 year contract, so each farmer would have to, opt in for the extra year.
    If I get into Organic Scheme I might stay out of Glas. Free up WBC and meadow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

It's a 5 year contract, so each farmer would have to, opt in for the extra year.
    If I get into Organic Scheme I might stay out of Glas. Free up WBC and meadow.

Funny but I've been thinking about organic here too, is it that you can't be in both?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭endainoz

Funny but I've been thinking about organic here too, is it that you can't be in both?

You can do both for sure, but you can't claim organic premiums on the glas portions of your land. The glas land would still be considered organic, but you won't be able to claim on them untill your glas contract is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

endainoz wrote: »
    You can do both for sure, but you can't claim organic premiums on the glas portions of your land. The glas land would still be considered organic, but you won't be able to claim on them untill your glas contract is over.
    Yip, can't claim two different agri-environmental scheme payments for the same land parcel.

The problem with the Glas, from a farming POV is that, it locks each parcel into what it's classified for, WBC would be very handy to rotate and improve different plots. I'm also stuck with the meadow and want to graze it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

Not wishing to hijack this tread, but can I ask a quick question of behalf of elderly lad from the village . He is in this Glass scheme for 4 years and was claiming on 5 horses. Just lately he sold 2 of his horses, so his question is - because he has reduced the number or horses during the course of the scheme, will he have to pay back the grant he has been paid on all 5 of his horse or just the 2 he sold. For health and other reasons his does not intend to buy replacements for the ones sold. ( I understood from him that the particular scheme he's in lasts a total or 5 years)
    Hope his question makes some sense to those of you who are knowledgeable about these schemes.
    He had an advisor/ planner but he says he's unable to contact him, he heard a rumour in his local that he's no longer in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

sonnybill wrote: »
    3 million - only Researching into what would work best

200 -250 million - Current glas annual cost at say

50,000 farmers at E5000

It should be more than €5000.

It isn't the number of animals, in this case horses that he declared at the start. It's about a minimum stocking rate each year.
    I think its set at 0.15/Ha.
    For example if I have 5 cows, that allows me to claim on 33 Ha.
    So if a horse is the same as a cow, and you need to check, then he now has 3 horses and if he is claiming on more than 20Ha, he needs to buy an animal or two.

As you can see the stocking needed is very low. I could be wrong on this, hopefully others would be along to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It isn't the number of animals, in this case horses that he declared at the start. It's about a minimum stocking rate each year.
    I think its set at 0.15/Ha.
    For example if I have 5 cows, that allows me to claim on 33 Ha.
    So if a horse is the same as a cow, and you need to check, then he now has 3 horses and if he is claiming on more than 20Ha, he needs to buy an animal or two.

As you can see the stocking needed is very low. I could be wrong on this, hopefully others would be along to clarify.

Is there not a change now that horses/donkeys can only make up a % of the stocking rate ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I think the first thing to ask is if they're being used (or were being used) as part of the Rare Breeds section of GLAS instead of just for Livestock Units.
    Because it states that with Rare breeds-
    Payment will be made in arrears based on the monthly average livestock units of owned registered animals over the previous recording year.

So if it's just because they're in it for Rare breeds, selling them shouldn't be an issue.
    Page 47 here-
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glastranche1/GLASTranche1Spec161015.pdf

Advertisement