Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next GLAS scheme ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think it's 50% donkeys. Don't know if that applies to horses?
    We could be mixing up different schemes here also, might be BPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Water John wrote: »

ANC you mean?

Yeah, you're head would get confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yes - and I should know;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭monseiur

I think the first thing to ask is if they're being used (or were being used) as part of the Rare Breeds section of GLAS instead of just for Livestock Units.
    Because it states that with Rare breeds-

So if it's just because they're in it for Rare breeds, selling them shouldn't be an issue.
    Page 47 here-
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glastranche1/GLASTranche1Spec161015.pdf

Apologies all, I should have explained that he had his 5 horses in for the Rare Breed section, this is specifically for Glass Scheme.
    It seems he was told by either someone form the Department of Agriculture or his planner that he would have to have 5 horses for the full duration of the scheme (which I think he said is 5 years) or otherwise the Department would claw back all grants paid from day one. He is not sure if that means all grant paid under the scheme would have to be paid back or just the grant paid on the 2 horses he sold before the 5 years was up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

monseiur wrote: »
    Apologies all, I should have explained that he had his 5 horses in for the Rare Breed section, this is specifically for Glass Scheme.
    It seems he was told by either someone form the Department of Agriculture or his planner that he would have to have 5 horses for the full duration of the scheme (which I think he said is 5 years) or otherwise the Department would claw back all grants paid from day one. He is not sure if that means all grant paid under the scheme would have to be paid back or just the grant paid on the 2 horses he sold before the 5 years was up

Clawing it back doesn't really make sense though....what if two horses happened to die? Would have been a natural occurrence & yet would leave him short.
    Now i've no rare breeds in GLAS so only going by what I read online & FAQ's but it only specifies a full clawback if a female of breeding age hasn't produced offspring in the 5 years.
    So my take on it, if they're females & have bred foals while included in the scheme in the years prior to this, they'll just be dropped the 200 per year.
    If they have not bred anything, then a full payback will be needed.

I'm open to correction on this though!!

493010.jpg

Clawing it back doesn't really make sense though....what if two horses happened to die? Would have been a natural occurrence & yet would leave him short.
    Now i've no rare breeds in GLAS so only going by what I read online & FAQ's but it only specifies a full clawback if a female of breeding age hasn't produced offspring in the 5 years.
    So my take on it, if they're females & have bred foals while included in the scheme in the years prior to this, they'll just be dropped the 200 per year.
    If they have not bred anything, then a full payback will be needed.

I'm open to correction on this though!!

493010.jpg

Thanks Lady Haywire, it all makes a lot of sense to me now. So any claw back will be deducted from any future payments coming to him.
    Will pop around to the old lad this evening to give him the good news.
    Thanks all for your advise.

M.

Thanks Lady Haywire, it all makes a lot of sense to me now. So any claw back will be deducted from any future payments coming to him.
    Will pop around to the old lad this evening to give him the good news.
    Thanks all for your advise.

M.

Not sure about that but the breeding of females & payments based on numbers after documents submitted for the animals each year hopefully is the way I've tried to explain it!

Not sure about that but the breeding of females & payments based on numbers after documents submitted for the animals each year hopefully is the way I've tried to explain it!

Lady Haywire, you explained it very well indeed and greatly appreciated.
    I guess what I was trying to say is that if any of the female horses that he recently sold did not produce a foal since he joined the scheme, all grants paid on these horses to date will be clawed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I guess what I was trying to say is that if any of the female horses that he recently sold did not produce a foal since he joined the scheme, all grants paid on these horses to date will be clawed back.

See why she gets the big bucks writing for the Farmers Journal. 😉

• Advertisement

Yes, that's my take on it!
    _Brian wrote: »
    See why she gets the big bucks writing for the Farmers Journal. ��

:pac: First I've heard of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

hiya, ive a river running through part of my fields , ive fenced it off myself (but over time the posts keep breaking with bullocks scraching etc). i only deal with store/finshing cattle.
    Id be interested in maybe gettng into this GLAS thingy if it reopened just to get €1.5 per meter to get a contractor to properly fewnce off both sides of the river(using google ruler im talking about 0.85km total length of fencing)..but honesly not aware of any of the other stuff thats part of the scheme...
    whats the generae feel of those who get into it back in 2015 ?? good and bad comments welcome ;-) many thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

hiya, ive a river running through part of my fields , ive fenced it off myself (but over time the posts keep breaking with bullocks scraching etc). i only deal with store/finshing cattle.
    Id be interested in maybe gettng into this GLAS thingy if it reopened just to get €1.5 per meter to get a contractor to properly fewnce off both sides of the river(using google ruler im talking about 0.85km total length of fencing)..but honesly not aware of any of the other stuff thats part of the scheme...
    whats the generae feel of those who get into it back in 2015 ?? good and bad comments welcome ;-) many thanks...

I am in GLAS the last 5 years and protection of watercourses from Bovines is one of the things I get paid for, I had a single row of electric wire along 981m of river and it covered me even though I don't keep Cattle on that side of the farm. Well worth getting into, but I dont know if it'll be one of the required measures in the next version of GLAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

I am in GLAS the last 5 years and protection of watercourses from Bovines is one of the things I get paid for, I had a single row of electric wire along 981m of river and it covered me even though I don't keep Cattle on that side of the farm. Well worth getting into, but I dont know if it'll be one of the required measures in the next version of GLAS.

I'm not sure all watercourses are allowed, tried to get a stream that runs through my farm fenced but my glas planner advised that it wasn't an approved water course so you might want to check it out first

jfh wrote: »
    I'm not sure all watercourses are allowed, tried to get a stream that runs through my farm fenced but my glas planner advised that it wasn't an approved water course so you might want to check it out first

Its a Stream about 8 foot wide we are getting paid on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

jfh wrote: »
    Apparently there are anomalies. We have a stream that borders part of the farm but we could not apply for fencing under GLAS yet our neighbour on the other side could. Apparently it was because we had a bank along our side but our neighbour's land ran directly to it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭morphy87

I am in GLAS and I am receiving my final payment at Christmas, I am just wondering what is the story about next year? I have heard off people that they are going to extend it for one year till a new scheme is in place, has anyone any information on this

Yes, one year ext TMK as new REPS scheme won't be ready. I'd presume whilst it's an add on, it can't simply be a rollover, as the GLAS is a fixed term legal agreement between the farmer and the Dept. I presume we all will be asked to sign some bit of paper.

morphy87 wrote: »
    I am in GLAS and I am receiving my final payment at Christmas, I am just wondering what is the story about next year? I have heard off people that they are going to extend it for one year till a new scheme is in place, has anyone any information on this

I heard that too, but I hope its not extended. Have ground in LIPP and was hoping to carry out some reclamation and re-seeding on some of it. Like said above, there'll probably be an option if you want to continue or not.

Yes, one year ext TMK as new REPS scheme won't be ready. I'd presume whilst it's an add on, it can't simply be a rollover, as the GLAS is a fixed term legal agreement between the farmer and the Dept. I presume we all will be asked to sign some bit of paper.

How much an acre do they reckon the new reps will be? Out of curiosity how much an acre was the old reps scheme worth?

• Advertisement

Think you got around €5/6K/yr and investment costs were reasonable.

Think you got around €5/6K/yr and investment costs were reasonable.

Yeah I think it was around 80 an acre not sure though

I know it's the Glas thread but the option of Social Farming might be one that would suit some.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/department-announces-over-e700000-in-support-of-social-farming/

I know it's the Glas thread but the option of Social Farming might be one that would suit some.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/department-announces-over-e700000-in-support-of-social-farming/

Just before lockdown I was to go to one of these meetings, is there anyone I can get in touch with John? You seem to know a bit more about it than me!

Don't actually but, Leitrim Partnership is the lead on this. You could contact NOTS in Drumshambo they would have info.

Advertisement