Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Options

Comments

Fairly painful..to so quickly go from "people giving out about me on the internet are awful" to "the commentary about WAG gate would be so funny"..
    I wonder what Germaine Greer makes of the Rooney-Whats-her-face affair..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I have never seen an image of this Louise, never heard her speak and never read a single word she has written. Way-hay! :pac: Does that mean I live in a parallel universe?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Zorya wrote: »
    I have never seen an image of this Louise, never heard her speak and never read a single word she has written. Way-hay! :pac: Does that mean I live in a parallel universe?

You're in the same universe as myself. I only hear about her in this thread. I wouldn't know she exists If not for all the people who keep up to date with her work.

The thread's been quiet lately. Has she taken time off work recently or have her fans lost interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

You're in the same universe as myself. I only hear about her in this thread. I wouldn't know she exists If not for all the people who keep up to date with her work.

The thread's been quiet lately. Has she taken time off work recently or have her fans lost interest?

I find that hard to believe given the nature of your other posts on boards.
    you posting that is like a good catholic claiming they never heard of the pope:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Zorya wrote: »
    No you live on the same planet as the rest of us Zorya. Really it just means you don't go out of your way to find follow her on social media or go out of your way to find out anythng about her. I'm the same, I have only heard of her by seeing this thread pop up here and occasionally clicking into it. There is another forum I am on with a long running thread about how awful a lot of people think Ricky Gervais is, most of the posters admit to "hate watching" him, they will watch his stand up, tv shows, movies and follow his social media all just so they can go into that thread and pick apart everything about him and use it to say how awful they think he is, how much a hypocrite they think he is, how annoying they think he is etc...
    This thread is similar only most of the regular posters on it won't admit to "hate following" her. Like all celebrities you don't like she is easily avoidable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

She's been getting the ride, that appears to have quietened her down

paw patrol wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe given the nature of your other posts on boards.
    you posting that is like a good catholic claiming they never heard of the pope:rolleyes:

We'll, there you have it. I've never read her books, never watched her plays, never read an article that wasn't topic of discussion on one of these threads. I did hear an Interview with her on a podcast I listen to. That's it.

If not for this thread and the posters who follow her and publicise her work I wouldn't know who she is.

retalivity wrote: »
    She's been getting the ride, that appears to have quietened her down

Has the ride stopped her working or stopped her saying things that upset the regular readers and posters?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i think shes great

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Has the ride stopped her working or stopped her saying things that upset the regular readers and posters?

It seems to have stopped her absurd ramblings in the examiner anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

“I wouldn’t know her if it wasn’t for this thread” So what?
    There’s plenty of people I had never heard of before stumbling across a thread, tweet or post about them.
    I would know sweet fa about Gemma O’Doherty if it wasn’t for the boards thread about her but I don’t hang around the thread proclaiming it at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

i think shes great

So does she.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

In fairness if there was a thread on the Internet devoted mostly to slagging you, or worse, inventing all sorts of nonsense, I'm sure you'd find that fairly maddening too.

It's entirely her choice to be a sexist bigot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Typical entitled, "I label myself a feminist, therefore I can say whatever claptrap I want about men and I will not be held accountable" sh1te.

You can't spew nonsense in the media and expect those of (reasonably) sound mind to put up and shut up and not react.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

What did she say about boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

First time posting on this thread. I always find myself surprised at how this thread continues to pop up on the front page. Almost 600 pages long(on the app), mostly pointing out how silly the things that LON says are.

As someone said a page or so back, she is deliberately inflammatory, herself and Katie Hopkins are two sides of the same coin. You are being played by rising to the bait. If she annoys you or you find yourself irritated reading about something that she said, just ignore her. Move on with your day, you'll be happier for it and it's a really easy thing to do.

Threads like this provide her with ample victim points to put in the bank, by continously posting on this thread you are exacerbating her exposure (which I have no issue with).

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

First time posting on this thread. I always find myself surprised at how this thread continues to pop up on the front page. Almost 600 pages long(on the app), mostly pointing out how silly the things that LON says are.

As someone said a page or so back, she is deliberately inflammatory, herself and Katie Hopkins are two sides of the same coin. You are being played by rising to the bait. If she annoys you or you find yourself irritated reading about something that she said, just ignore her. Move on with your day, you'll be happier for it and it's a really easy thing to do.

Threads like this provide her with ample victim points to put in the bank, by continously posting on this thread you are exacerbating her exposure (which I have no issue with).

I'm largely unbothered by her ramblings, but I think the complaints are justified and she shouldn't be ignored. If any male journalist wrote about women they way she does about men they'd be out of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think she may still have a weekly column but the Examiner doesn't seem to promote her as much online and I say her articles don't really pop up as much as they used to for people.

What did she say about boards?

She mentioned message boards/forums but this isn't the only place there is a thread on her.
    This was is kind tough from what I remember.

She mentioned message boards/forums but this isn't the only place there is a thread on her.
    This was is kind tough from what I remember.
    This is at least the second time you've said this now, what forum ? It's very easy be in that position and declare that this thread is "kind" in comparison, when we (or a family member, for example) are not the object of pillory and sexual jokes, and à fairly disproportionate level of hostile attention.

I'm not sure what other forum you're talking about that makes this thread "kind" in comparison. Stormfront has worse, more hateful content than boards, but that doesn't make some of the more hateful things posted here "kind" even by comparison.

In Louise O' Neil's case, I don't think her or her family are likely to be finding kindness here. What it is, is just adding another pile to the dungheap of this toxic, cumulative, unreasonable anger that people (old enough to know better) seem to think is socially acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This is at least the second time you've said this now, what forum ? It's very easy be in that position and declare that this thread is "kind" in comparison, when we (or a family member, for example) are not the object of pillory and sexual jokes, and à fairly disproportionate level of hostile attention.

I'm not sure what other forum you're talking about that makes this thread "kind" in comparison. Stormfront has worse, more hateful content than boards, but that doesn't make some of the more hateful things posted here "kind" even by comparison.

In Louise O' Neil's case, I don't think her or her family are likely to be finding kindness here. What it is, is just adding another pile to the dungheap of this toxic, cumulative, unreasonable anger that people (old enough to know better) seem to think is socially acceptable.

I know there's a long running thread about her on the People's Republic of Cork forum, not sure about elsewhere.

It's the Cork forming thread thing from what I remeber. I believe I answered it the second time because somebody asked a question.
    I stand by what I said this thread is a lot kinder than the other stuff out there and she will get stick for what she writes and she deserves some of it.
    Just an edit: She doesn't deserve to be called names/etc but just called on some of the stuff she says but she doesn't like this from I know of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yet you’re attracted to the thread like a fly to ****e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

“I wouldn’t know her if it wasn’t for this thread” So what?
    There’s plenty of people I had never heard of before stumbling across a thread, tweet or post about them.
    I would know sweet fa about Gemma O’Doherty if it wasn’t for the boards thread about her but I don’t hang around the thread proclaiming it at every opportunity.

And so what if people mention it whenever threads on her pop up? It’s mentioned probably because people are taken aback at the ire she draws for such an easily avoidable individual. They’re not saying it for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

What it is, is just adding another pile to the dungheap of this toxic, cumulative, unreasonable anger that people (old enough to know better) seem to think is socially acceptable.

LONs articles in a nutshell...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No amount of money alcohol or coercion would make a shedemon appealing.

fullstop wrote: »
    Yet you’re attracted to the thread like a fly to ****e?

Oh yeah. It's interesting to see the quantity and quality of criticism. Looking through the last few, the actual criticism is very low quality, mostly just insults as opposed to anything substantive or gases on anything specific. That's interesting, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What it is, is just adding another pile to the dungheap of this toxic, cumulative, unreasonable anger that people (old enough to know better) seem to think is socially acceptable.

So demographic groups who are the target of unchecked bigotry and hate speech aren’t justified in being angry about it? We’re being “unreasonable” to condemn the double standard which underpins it?

I believe in absolute freedom of speech and always have, so I fully support her right to say whatever sh!te she wants and for the paper to carry it. What I object to is the double standard in which reversing the demographics would make it socially unacceptable. That is fundamentally wrong and unfair, and it needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

And so what if people mention it whenever threads on her pop up? It’s mentioned probably because people are taken aback at the ire she draws for such an easily avoidable individual. They’re not saying it for no reason.

And so what if you’re saying so what if people mention it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So demographic groups who are the target of unchecked bigotry and hate speech aren’t justified in being angry about it? We’re being “unreasonable” to condemn the double standard which underpins it?
    Who's "we"? Why do you think the majority of men in Ireland either have no clue who this woman is, or even if we do, don't care?

And whilst it can be perfectly reasonable to be angered by another person's opinion, the most effective response is usually to be reasonable. I'm talking instead about grown adults going spare when LON talks about the importance of consent, and then when they don't have enough grist for the outrage-mill, they'll come here and muse that she must have gone quiet because she's "getting the pipe" from some guy.

Don't try and suggest this kind of stuff is reasonable criticism. Or that LON is peddling hate speech. She seems like an ordinary person who occasionally makes some interesting points, and occasionally puts her foot in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement