Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It'll all be ok lads, Todd Philips has already said he will reveal all in time. A long time maybe but he will reveal all.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Ugh, this is going to inspire a million Fight Club-esque "how character x, scene y was ALSO in his head" video essays, isn't it? Can I downvote all of them now?

Don't worry. If you don't like thought provoking films that inspire analysis, you can always buy Ant-Man & The Wasp on DVD :D

Like McDermot X says above, the key thing here is there is no right or wrong.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Well, I loved it. Everything down to the
    Wayne's inclusion

Just a fantastic movie imo with Phoenix absolutely brilliant. The descent into madness was fantastically captured and portrayed. There's always going to be people who have to nitpick at bits and pieces and they're quite welcome to do that, but I loved the movie, by far the best one I've seen this year.

One hope is that it stays as standalone because it's that good it deserves to be left by itself and doesn't need any follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's possible that they might be happy to let the character be for a couple of years.

Rumours in regards to Reeves' Batman is that they're introducing
    a litany of villains, with The Joker no where in sight.

They got away with Leto's interpretation in that Phoenix's came along so quickly to wipe the memory clean. No harm in leaving the character alone for 5/6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

They got away with Leto's interpretation in that Phoenix's came along so quickly to wipe the memory clean

Nothing can erase that travesty.

Batman has more than enough enemies to keep him occupied, without it having to be the Joker constantly.

That and I don't really want this Joker to be anywhere near the current ****house DC Universe as it'll end up ruining the character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It'll all be ok lads, Todd Philips has already said he will reveal all in time. A long time maybe but he will reveal all.

Likely a cop out to cover himself if the studio can twist their arms for a sequel.

I'm sure they'll pick and choose what was real and fantasy to fit the story they'd want to tell for a sequel.

They wouldn't want to tie themselves to something now that they'd have to back out of later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

El Duda wrote: »
    Don't worry. If you don't like thought provoking films that inspire analysis, you can always buy Ant-Man & The Wasp on DVD :D

Like McDermot X says above, the key thing here is there is no right or wrong.

"What if everything was in his head?" is a poor excuse for analysis. The film is thought provoking enough without silly twists, especially ones that aren't supported by the film. It's like the American Psycho debate where for a lot of viewers the theory that it was all in his head seems to be a way of avoiding dealing with what the film is actually about. "Oh he's just crazy and dreamt everything" is the ultimate cop out. Films can be dreamlike or fantastical without literally being dreams/fantasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 the sword

From viewing this one time just, the thing that annoyed me the most was the lack of ideology behind the character and what was driving him towards his fate. I get the point that his was tipped over the edge by the constant personal issues that arose within the film, but they seemed to be addressed by his actions in the second half of the film,
    killing those that have wronged him etc.

Hypothetically, if the character is to be portrayed in future films, what would his motivations be?

With TDK, their version of Joker had an issue with society and their perceived “goodness”, where his motivations and actions were to show that deep down, everyone has it within them to become like himself if put to the test.

Also as mentioned above, I thought it was a good idea for the city to revolt, but that could have been fleshed out more,
    a triple murder
    would hardly inspire the masses to rise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Watched this tonight will be going again

This film will be up there with the best for years to come

Restores your faith in cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Went to see it tonight, thought it was brilliant. Hope Pheonix gets the Oscar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just back from it this evening. Absolutely brilliant was genuinely enthralled the whole way through. GF thought it was incredible too.

Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I’mjust back from this... Dare I say it is one of the best movies I think I have ever seen in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Slydice wrote: »
    Is that
    Bruce Wayne, Martha Wayne and Thomas Wayne leaving a theatre
    at the short moment scene at 2:11?

Are they gonna do
    the Wayne murders
    in this?

I have watched the trailers back and in no way can I figure out how you saw this - for anyone wondering this quote is from september!

Fair play to you detective!

After being enthralled by Joker, I've taken on to watch the few movies of Joaquin Pheonix's that I still haven't seen yet.

Well, after watching Joker and You Were Never Really Here in the past few nights, I think I'm going to put on Martyrs or Schindler's List now to cheer myself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

After being enthralled by Joker, I've taken on to watch the few movies of Joaquin Pheonix's that I still haven't seen yet.

Well, after watching Joker and You Were Never Really Here in the past few nights, I think I'm going to put on Martyrs or Schindler's List now to cheer myself up.

“Don’t worry you won’t get far” isn’t exactly an easy watch either. Phoenix does not choose easy roles.

I don’t get some of the snobbery thrown at Phillips. I’ve noticed one or two specifically reference his earlier stuff as if he’s not entitled to try something completely different. Almost like giving out for Adam sandler for doing punch drunk love because he is normally just a waky comedian.

There also seems to be an almost over reaching effort to distance this from the movies Phillips has said inspired it. This is exactly what fanboys do when prequels “we didn’t need” are made and they spend all their time moaning about it. In this case it’s a “this isn’t comparable with taxi driver” sort of snobbery. Ok, well don’t compare it with it then, that was made 40 years ago. Maybe judge it as a remarkable achievement for a comic book movie in this day and age. More so for Warner brothers who are the glazers of comic book movies, don’t seem to have a clue what to do.

I feel The only fair way to judge a movie is basing it on how it worked on its own. It might of drawn inspiration from elsewhere but it’s got its own unique take. I’ve been trying to understand why people could actually make “it’s hard to work out what they are trying to say” an issue. They said it themselves , the movie is whatever you make of it. If that doesn’t suit how you like movies to be made then maybe it’s just a case that this movie isn’t for you. Why does everything have to make sense and be easily explainable? Why can’t the entire movie be ambiguous for us to enjoy it?

There is a social commentary on our society but at its core there is a lonely person who is left to fend to themselves and suffer a horrible life. I think this sort of story makes some people uncomfortable, partially because of their own ignorance and incapacity to comprehend the kind of suffering Arthur endures.

Maybe I’m taking the message I want to take from it but I do think there is so much depth to this movie, I can’t understand peoples feelings that suggest the opposite is true. Brexit and Trump have shown how self destructive society can get and how they will turn to things they don’t really understand when they feel the elite are not listening to them. I’m fairly sure there examples of events lighting the touch paper of revolution in the pas, we don’t need any back story to tell us that because this is jokers story. We just have to go along with it and fil it the pieces which is quite easy.

In many regards, most people in society delude themselves every day so even if Arthur’s story is in his head he’s not alone. Everybody tells themselves a story about who they are and they manipulate events in their lives that is an untruthful reflection of their lives. Look at how people can different events on the same crime, or how people’s flawed minds can remember things badly. Or politics or sport, how people can view the exact same events in a completely different way.

I don’t see why “the audience can make up its own reality/mind on the movie” is not a legitimate way of making a movie. In many regards it’s a movie about one of the craziest characters ever created so it not being clear or making sense is quite appropriate. I also think for those who didn’t want an origin story, they can just presume it was all in his head and just not over think it. I think the Wayne’s inclusion doesn’t matter, except to people looking for issues.

I hope it’s standalone unless they have a savage script that doesn’t involve batman. I can’t see how this fits into a Batman story unless it’s a Nolan type universe. But I trust Phoenix won’t let the quality deminish so if there is another one it’s got a solid base if he’s agreed to do it.

My initial feeling after it was not to watch it again, but I keep going back to it and thinking about it. I can’t say that about many movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭fluke

I agree with Drumpot, in that it's a bit disheartening to here some people get digs in at Phillips. I've often seen movies where they are all imitation but lack heart, but Joker can't be accused of lacking heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Saw it on Saturday night at the IFI and my instant reaction was a need to see it again. And I still feel the same way, possibly more so. I loved every minute of it. How many big studio films do we get to see these days that come anywhere near Joker? Very few.

Joaquin Phoenix delivers one of the great performances in cinema history. Beforehand I felt there was a danger that if the character was to totally dominate the screen in the way we were led to believe, it might take something away from the film. I had concerns that Joker might end up admiring itself too much in the mirror but Phoenix's performance is so mesmerising and honest that those concerns were never realised.

I can't and don't want to go near the whole 'was it in his head did he really do this or that?' idea. It's tiresome and you could analysis every feckin scene to the nth degree and still be none the wiser.

I will never forget
    Murray Franklin's murder scene
    as long as I live, it was brutal and brilliant. Like many others I felt the
    Waynes scene was pointless and felt like it was shoehorned in.

A modern masterpiece. Bravo, bravo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The highlight for me was the subway carriage scene. I have never felt more unnerved in a cinema.

Overall it was a good film, with an incredible performance from Phoenix. I probably won't watch it again though as it was a bit too dark and bleak for my liking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Philips has started to reveal his view of the film. Major spoilers within.
    Without saying it outright in an interview he has alluded to the story being in Arthur’s head. His only real laugh in the film is in the final scene suggesting the joke is on the audience.

He also said a sequel will never involve Batman as this is Arthur’s story (note he said Arthur and not Joker)

He also alludes to the possibility of Fleck being the inspiration for the real Joker who is lingering behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Thought it was an incredible movie, despite one or two continuity issues, which again could be possibly explained through the protagonists psychosis. I will 100% go and view it again, and the earlier reference to memento is definitely warranted.

The scene
    where Murray Franklin's gets murdered
    was brutal and brilliant. Didn't like the revelation
    with regards to the girlfriend being in his head. The fact that he was sitting there in the apartment, and her reaction was enough.
    I also thought the scene where he
    smothered his mother
    was brutal and so well done.

Overall, JP was absolutely superb. For me, a shoe in for a nomination, and 100% deserves it. This movie has convinced me to stop watching trailers, when I have the choice, as a lot was given out in the trailers, and while it did not spoil the movie for me, I would have preferred to have not seen them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

faceman wrote: »
    Philips has started to reveal his view of the film. Major spoilers within.
    Without saying it outright in an interview he has alluded to the story being in Arthur’s head. His only real laugh in the film is in the final scene suggesting the joke is on the audience.

He also said a sequel will never involve Batman as this is Arthur’s story (note he said Arthur and not Joker)

He also alludes to the possibility of Fleck being the inspiration for the real Joker who is lingering behind the scenes.

Meh...

Kinda ruins it on me.
    Would have personally prefered if
    it was The Joker

Still a top movie though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'd take any "reviews" like that
    with a pinch of salt. Anything involving Joaquin Phoenix is going to involve ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This Joker wouldn't be a good arch nemesis for Batman, the guy is too dumb.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

silverharp wrote: »

He's too weak and pitiful as well.

Glad to see Phillips comments chime in with my exact reading of the film. Makes me rate it a lot more.

Can't see a sequel working. And Shoehorning this Joker into another DC film would be awful. Imagine him appearing in Justice League?! **shudder**

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The Red Letter Media folks give a good analysis on the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

Yea but did you not think by the end he was alot more dangerous?
    Throughout the movie he was on a sh*t load medication which was obviously going to make him slow and weak.

I thought once he came off them and he got the taste for murder he was a much stronger character.

Monkey2019 wrote: »
    Yea but did you not think by the end he was alot more dangerous?
    Throughout the movie he was on a sh*t load medication which was obviously going to make him slow and weak.

I thought once he came off them and he got the taste for murder he was a much stronger character.

He was still way off posing any threat to Batman though. He lacked any sign of intelligence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭fluke

faceman wrote: »
    He was still way off posing any threat to Batman though. He lacked any sign of intelligence

Yeah but in this movie's world Bruce is a kid. Both would have a long way to go before becoming filling out their characters as we know them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

did you not think that the further he came off his meds, the sharper he got ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭techdiver

sydthebeat wrote: »
    did you not think that the further he came off his meds, the sharper he got ??

Thankfully I'm not the only one who thought that. Was it not obvious?? Also talk about him being too weak to take on batman is ridiculous! The Joker is never meant to be a physical match for Batman, very few non "enhanced" humans are.

Advertisement