Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

site_owner wrote: »
    I'm not thrilled about the change to the bike lane either but that's a terrible attitude.

My point is that the changes to the bike lane will make absolutely no difference to the existing state.

People will certainly continue to use it as they always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'm not thrilled about the change to the bike lane either but that's a terrible attitude.

Agreed.

Most folks on here (me included) would expect drivers to put our safety as first priority regardless of the rights and wrongs of a given situation. People on bikes need to pay the same respect and courtesy onward to people on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

mrcheez wrote: »
    My point is that the changes to the bike lane will make absolutely no difference to the existing state.

People will certainly continue to use it as they always have.

Then maybe that's the point.

It's not a segregated bike lane but some people think it can be treated as such, and that a little line of paint absolves them of responsibility to other park users

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Morning commute through the park past 2 days had the same number of cyclists / pedestrians. No change, nor will this change.

Those that walk their dogs on the cycle-side will continue to do so as they always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Duckjob wrote: »
    Agreed.

Most folks on here (me included) would expect drivers to put our safety as first priority regardless of the rights and wrongs of a given situation. People on bikes need to pay the same respect and courtesy onward to people on foot.

No problem in Holland.

"Legal requirements for your bicycle
    Is a bicycle bell compulsory?
    Yes, a bicycle bell is compulsory on every bike. Other traffic users have to be able to hear it at a distance of 25 metres. You’re not likely to be fined if your bicycle bell does not meet the requirements, but a good bell does make it easier to pass other traffic on narrow and busy roads."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so the baldoyle-portmarnock footpath/cycle way is open?

https://twitter.com/ireland_active/status/1183039555500433410

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Pretty sure that's the path at the top of Paddy's hill. Not the cycleway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Nice bit of rain recently... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Is that the approach to the Portmarnock roundabout?

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Is that the approach to the Portmarnock roundabout?
    Yes it's the northern end facing away from the roundabout.

Not my photos btw, taken from Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Any way to report the poor condition of the cycle path at Fairview park?

It's covered in fallen leaves and with all the rain they are sticking to the path and turning into slippy mush, very dangerous if you go for your brakes or turn in too quick...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

Tenzor07 wrote: »

It's covered in fallen leaves and with all the rain they are sticking to the path and turning into slippy mush, very dangerous if you go for your brakes or turn in too quick...

Yeah its brutal, I had the back wheel slip out on me there this morning, just a little scary!!

I guess contact dublin city council?

the council say they are doing leaves as a priority

MQ0B7rB.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Nice bit of rain recently... :o
    passed by today - looked like they might have had a pump running, but possibly was just a generator. i joined the road from moyne road, so would have been just north of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Had accident on that stretch due to leaves. Once bitten twice shy. I now go through the park as they seem to pay more attention to clearing that than the cycle lane or along the road if it's quiet.

Coastal greenway delayed as contractor hits drains and causes flooding

https://www.thejournal.ie/greenway-delayed-flooding-4911281-Dec2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

https://www.thejournal.ie/greenway-delayed-flooding-4911281-Dec2019/

Passed it today it looks nearly ready too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What's concerning about this issue is that the council commissioned a construction company to build this path in a flood plain area without drainage being fully considered...
    Now they can't start work again until April? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Is it still possible to walk along where the track is going to be or is it an inactive construction site?

It's fenced off as a construction site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Cycled the once flooded section a few weeks ago as the barrier was open at the Portmarnock end. It's great but, after meeting a few guys working, I decided it's not really fair on them if they get a rollicking from the Health & Safety supervisor. Skipped the longer southern section though it looked very inviting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

The contractor was working this morning on the Baldoyle-Portmarnock cycleway at the Moyne road crossing. Are they working around the restricted areas or maybe the restrictions are not in place yet???

I'm presuming the restrictions apply to the green areas but not to road junctions.

Nice to see the pretty severe ramp on the road at the Portmarnock end. That should make rejoining the road somewhat easier.

The track lights are going in, the crossings are being prepared for the traffic lights to go in.

Its expected that the track will be ready to go very soon and the flood works will happen later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The track lights are going in, the crossings are being prepared for the traffic lights to go in.

Its expected that the track will be ready to go very soon and the flood works will happen later in the year

How much later in the year?

How much later in the year?

As far as I know they can't start digging out the drains until April due to wildlife

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

i did cycle parts of it during the holidays, and love it. Cant wait to see it open for all public!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Sometimes I think I'm past being amazed ...
    At the entrance to fairview park 'care and share' path some genius has decided to plonk a great big planting box. So you swing through the antique gate (if they bothered to open it that morning) negotiating the usual layer of slick leaves that they leave there and within five or six feet there's a huge wooden box taking up about half the shared path which you have to swing around again. If this morning was frosty I think I'd definitely have come off.
    I wonder is it deliberate in order to slow down cyclists?

Advertisement