Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Moan Again, Naturally: Liveline 18/07/2019 to date

Options

Comments

“Like the angelus and spice bags, I’ve given up trying to comprehend Liveline
    Joe Duffy's RTÉ Radio 1 show scratches an itch listeners barely even knew they had

Tanya Sweeney
    Follow
    Fri, Aug 16, 2019, 05:00

Joe Duffy: for better or worse, Liveline has been triple-stitched into the fabric of Irish society
    Joe Duffy: for better or worse, Liveline has been triple-stitched into the fabric of Irish society
    While Today FM has just come through their latest deck reshuffle (more of this below), it’s fair to say that Joe Duffy’s Liveline (RTÉ Radio 1, weekdays, 1.45-3pm) is probably going nowhere.

After a shuddering global apocalypse, you could easily put your house on the fact that Duffy will be there for the aftermath, ‘hmmming’ at Bridie from Roscommon with the minimum amount of effort that can feasibly pass as politeness as she moans about having no roof anymore.

Sometimes, Liveline is an indispensable slot that thrums with anger, urgency and the rhythms of a nation; April’s item on birthing stories was one of the most seismic of the year. But let’s be fair, Liveline offers the listener the chance to hit a G spot (that’s G for “gripe”) that other shows simply can’t reach.

Could Joe Duffy sound any less engaged or enthused? Only if he were dialling the show in from Barbados during happy hour
    Tuesday’s show offered Paul the chance to express his shock and disquiet at seeing a Scientology van parked up at the Tinahely Show, while another listener was getting a makeover in Arnotts, when her handbag was swiped from under her nose (Duffy: “Frances, what happened? Arnotts!”). Monday, meanwhile, saw travel agent Linda express her vexation at the Aer Lingus website, which doesn’t provide a “Ms” option in the salutation box (just “Miss” or “Mrs”), while Anne’s house is under attack from vicious seagulls, effectively nullifying any grand day for the drying.

Along with the angelus and spice bags, I’ve long given up trying to comprehend the evergreen, idiosyncratic appeal of Liveline. For better or worse, it has been triple-stitched into the fabric of Irish society.

And really, could Duffy sound any less engaged or enthused? Only if he were dialling the show in from Barbados during happy hour. This week, however, I came close to comprehending.

Liveline is a triumph for the little men (or women), who collide into hundreds of microaggressions as they go about their everyday lives. There’s likely not another country in the world that devotes time to these quirks and complaints, and this “only in Ireland” marker turns out to be the show’s greatest strength. Duffy rarely offers a resolution or catharsis, wisely turning the centre of the stage, and therefore much of the spadework, over to Anne or Frances or Paul.

And when Liveline’s listeners articulate their discontent about traffic cones or post office queues or young people on their phones, the listener is likely to agree. We are united in our displeasure. These gripes scratch an itch the listener barely even knew they had. And when it comes to radio, who can say better than that?”

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He probably thinks he would be snapped up by Sea En En.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

He probably thinks he would be snapped up by Sea En En.

A hungry crocodile wouldn't snap him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Must say I’m amazed he’s 63

He comes across as a petulant sulky 8 year old

bosco1002 wrote: »
    You all must have sad lives!!
    I am the woman who was on the show in relation to the tickets....yes I was stupid, I made a mistake but your nasty comments have been seen by the child involved on this !! You've no idea of the trauma that kid has experienced.

Ive told the truth although some pieces of information have not been disclosed as advised by Gardai. This scum was selling me 2 tickets - I was never going to the match myself as I'm neither Dublin nor Kerry and I believe only true fans should be there. I was buying the tickets for my daughter and my friend (both Dubs) and during later exchanges he offered 3 more on the condition I promised they'd only go to true fans!

I'm not going to justify my actions but as a result of the show this scumbags face is plastered everywhere. Many, many women have been scammed by him but wouldn't speak up due to embarrassment and who would blame them if this is the reaction they would get. I regret going public because people like you have caused an already troubled girl more distress I hope you are all willing to stand by your statements and accusations. Maybe I should have just let other women be scammed.

And as for David Halls gesture - he is nothing only a gentleman and deserves to be praised for his actions. Some of you are sad, sad people

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I am the woman who was on the show in relation to the tickets....yes I was stupid, I made a mistake but your nasty comments have been seen by the child involved on this !! You've no idea of the trauma that kid has experienced.

Ive told the truth although some pieces of information have not been disclosed as advised by Gardai. This scum was selling me 2 tickets - I was never going to the match myself as I'm neither Dublin nor Kerry and I believe only true fans should be there. I was buying the tickets for my daughter and my friend (both Dubs) and during later exchanges he offered 3 more on the condition I promised they'd only go to true fans!

I'm not going to justify my actions but as a result of the show this scumbags face is plastered everywhere. Many, many women have been scammed by him but wouldn't speak up due to embarrassment and who would blame them if this is the reaction they would get. I regret going public because people like you have caused an already troubled girl more distress I hope you are all willing to stand by your statements and accusations. Maybe I should have just let other women be scammed.

And as for David Halls gesture - he is nothing only a gentleman and deserves to be praised for his actions. Some of you are sad, sad people

How many leather jackets or laptops have you purchased in a shopping centre car park ?
    Asking for a very gullible friend

Madam, I have no way of knowing whether or not you are the individual who made the call. Please familiarise yourself with the rules of this Forum. Nobody is entitled cast epithets at other users of the Forum. This is not an "uncensored", " unfiltered" megaphone for all-comers' opinions. We are not Liveline. Users are expected to meet a minimum standard of criticism or debate.

If you are the person who made the call, then my sympathies are with your daughter and her friends for having been so disappointed -- genuinely. Nevertheless, this is a civilised forum and not a rabble. Please do not abuse the members, and neither will they be allowed to abuse you as you are a member. --Mod

@MOD and your minimum standards allow users to mock and defame people!!

Sorry, how have posters defamed you, mocked yes, but defamed, NO

@MOD and your minimum standards allow users to mock and defame people!!
    People who go on the national airwaves to air a grievance must assume some level of risk that their views may or may not win public sympathy.

This Forum is for civilised debate and the critique of radio programmes. It is unreasonable to expect any criticism of radio content to be silenced, we are equally as welcoming of positive as well as negative opinion.

As you are a user of this Forum now, whether you are the original caller or not, the same rules of civility now apply towards you. That's the end of the discussion on moderation. Any question, PM one of the moderators. -- Mod

M

What colour were the tickets?

• Advertisement
    M

Ask yourselves why this scum has been doing this for 18 months....he preyed on women who he thought were vulnerable and no one spoke out....just hope it doesn't happen to your sisters or daughters.
    Women don't report cause they are too embarrassed of the backlash from people like you --and as a result it continues

Sometimes your mistakes in life are your best lessons.

Mod : One post has been deleted, apologies to the user. There is no merit in getting into the ins and outs of defamation law. Please uphold civility. But that applies to everyone.

Ask yourselves why this scum has been doing this for 18 months....he preyed on women who he thought were vulnerable and no one spoke out....just hope it doesn't happen to your sisters or daughters.
    Women don't report cause they are too embarrassed of the backlash from people like you --and as a result it continues

Im a man who thought I was getting a round the world trip in 80 days, I gave a guy called Phileas Fogg $8,000 in the Square car park, I never seen him again. Should I ring into the national radio station to show how stupid I was. Text Y for yes or X for moronic.

Why was my reply deleted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,764 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Well, that certainly woke the pigeons up.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Bosco petal, are you cast down?

I wasn’t here myself on the day you called in sadly, otherwise you’d have had my full attention. Take care petal, and enjoy the match.

I am currently in the Aer Lingus lounge in Dublin airport for the 2nd last time before my membership expires so to speak next November (I don’t do be do be do be flying like I used to so to speak). I took a taxi to the airport and de driver did regale me with a story I can’t repeat here about The Great One. If I were to tell it A Tyrant and Cat would explode with Expunges so to speak......

“I love my work”

I love it so much I do 5 hours a week 40 weeks a year for a mere €400K+, plus all de free advertising I can get for me vanity projects and dat.

He’ll never leave, unless someone pays him more.

I am currently in the Aer Lingus lounge in Dublin airport for the 2nd last time before my membership expires so to speak next November (I don’t do be do be do be flying like I used to so to speak). I took a taxi to the airport and de driver did regale me with a story I can’t repeat here about The Great One. If I were to tell it A Tyrant and Cat would explode with Expunges so to speak......

Did the story uplift your inner self BS.?. Aer you cast down in the knowledge that your mr. Fancy pants membership is coming to an end. ?. Call this help line before you do anything silly.1850 715 8....oh wait they have you blocked:):).
    Safe flight petal.

Did the story uplift your inner self BS.?. Aer you cast down in the knowledge that your mr. Fancy pants membership is coming to an end. ?. Call this help line before you do anything silly.1850 715 8....oh wait they have you blocked:):).
    Safe flight petal.

Tanks petal.

The story was both amusing and revelatory but truth be told nothing surprises me anymore with The Great One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

*Waits patiently by the inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

hastagme2

In all your visits to de nice bright airy Aer Fungus lounge have you not sat in close proximity to de Great One on occasion?

Personally I find de seats in Business Class do be a little hard on de Aer Fungus, Dey kept me wakeful all de way to SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

2smiggy wrote: »
    better off back in the good old days drinking bottles of whiskey in the house and bating the wife

don't forget going blind from dodgy poteen. Or the bad old days of drinking ether https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/the-compass-pleasure/201106/the-irish-ether-drinking-craze-0

It would be a great visitor attraction to see our Ethnic Minority. After all other countries have Ethnic Villages an dat where you can interact with the local minorities and buy their crafts an dat.

dont-laugh-at-natives.jpg

Oops69 wrote: »
    Sheep are grand , they don’t fart as much as cows and what would the greens do for coarse wolly jumpers ?

Make them out of hemp, caller

In all your visits to de nice bright airy Aer Fungus lounge have you not sat in close proximity to de Great One on occasion?

Personally I find de seats in Business Class do be a little hard on de Aer Fungus, Dey kept me wakeful all de way to SF.

Not De Great One, but many others. For a while it seemed like I was meeting Dara O’Briain in particular once a week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was out of the pub this evening answering a phonecall. I got a slap into the eye from a total stranger. Cops were on the case in minutes. He'd left a trail o destruction before he got to me. My glasses and phone are in sh1t.
    I'd ring Joe of the phone was still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭Jeff2

sligojoek wrote: »
    I was out of the pub this evening answering a phonecall. I got a slap into the eye from a total stranger. Cops were on the case in minutes. He'd left a trail o destruction before he got to me. My glasses and phone are in sh1t.
    :D
    So not Dublin the kip or was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

sligojoek wrote: »
    What colour is your eye now caller?

Sorry for your troubles btw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement