Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ush1 wrote: »
    This reads like a Ross O Carroll Kelly piece.

And I thought it was was just me. :D We don't drive nissan qashqai, husband is overweight and has plenty of tattoos. I wear a bikini sometimes. I'm starting to think think we might be turned away at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

G Shock wrote: »
    Type in Crete to booking.com for july 10th for a week. Lots of nice places for even less than 700.

I don't need 5 star, just somewhere clean, modern and close to the beach. Job done.

Some people are obsessed with the beach. Some people couldn't give a fúck about a beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

meeeeh wrote: »
    And I thought it was was just me. :D We don't drive nissan qashqai, husband is overweight and has plenty of tattoos and none of the holiday type ones either. I wear a bikini sometimes. I'm starting to think think we might be turned away at the door.

That very, very long piece had vicious judgment simmering under a placid, smiling surface. More in the tone than the actual words.
    I had no idea that people observed and judged other people to that degree and depth.
    Kinda strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

meeeeh wrote: »
    And I thought it was was just me. :D We don't drive nissan qashqai, husband is overweight and has plenty of tattoos. I wear a bikini sometimes. I'm starting to think think we might be turned away at the door.

I have tattoos as well and god forbid, a six pack! Plus my wife likes Love Island. Not a chance we will get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I find that a bit odd

As a parent I don't think I have ever been "bored out of my head" while on holidays with the kids while the kids are having a great time.

What exactly were they expecting ?

You’d have to ask them

They are around 40. Live in a nice area of Dublin

I’d say just general boredom with what the offer is there.

He said the food was average and bland. And that the place itself seemed half finished as I said in the original post. The wife was harsher in her comments.

The call was literally about 4-5 mins so didn’t go into deep details.

Don’t shoot the messenger !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

dw2016 wrote: »
    Irishder wrote: »
    Up here now. Loving it. I have 2 kids 5 and 12 and they love the place. Swimming pool is fantastic, loads to do During the day. Rented bikes and we are all wore out from cycling.

We had 10 days in cambrills in Spain this year and the 12 year old says he prefers centre Parcs.

It is pricey and the activities can certainly add up. We have done all our own cooking so kept cost down there.

Place is spotless, accomadation top class and the staff are very friendly.

It's a great option to have in Ireland

that's good to hear! just a quick question, do you need to book the activities in advance? would the evening before do as the Irish weather isn't the most reliable for the outdoor ones. thanks in advance

We booked some activities 10 mins before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Not everyone likes the beach or sun holidays , especially with kids. Its a pain the arse making sure they don't drown or burn all day and there is very little to do.

Not everyone likes the beach or sun holidays , especially with kids. Its a pain the arse making sure they don't drown or burn all day and there is very little to do.

I agree we usually do some sightseeing. I don't buy that for kids to be entertained need to have a beach, swimming pool and organized activities. I'm already thinking how to sell kids inter railing around central Europe but I think that might be a bit ambitious at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Exactly, some people's idea of heaven is a beach for 2 weeks. Personally I couldn't care less if I never set foot on a beach again.
    Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭AuldDaysul

touts wrote: »
    We are in Center Parcs at the moment. Paid just over 1100 for a 4 bed lodge that sleeps 8 for 4 nights. Around what we paid for other 7 day holidays to sun destinations in the past where we spend one day travelling there and one day travelling back so basically end up with 5 actual day there much the same as CenterParcs.

Now as to the people here.. Are they (we) snobs? Well I would think they are ordinary hard working middle class people. Most of the cars in the carpark seem to be 3-4 year old family cars and basic SUVs. Nothing flashy and nothing trashy. More 152 Nissan Quasquai that 192 BMW 7 series or battered 09 Ford Transporter.

I'd say the vast majority of people here are Irish. There are quite a few from the North. There are also a few from England. I've also heard the same East European accents and languages you hear anywhere in modern Ireland. There are a few of Asian and African heritage but I would say not as many "new Irish as in modern Irish life. It does seem to be predominantly white Irish/English.

There is a distinct lack of people in the 20-30 age bracket. Most are children under 15 and parents in their 30s/40s

Most of the people are dressed casually but smartly. Shorts and tee-shirts are the norm when the sun is out. Trespass/Regatta type raincoats when needed. Haven't seen any adults wearing soccer/GAA shirts. Lots of kids wearing them though. Interestingly a few rugby raincoats so no doubt that will be all the evidence some people need to call for the place to be shut down.

Haven't seen men walking around in a string vest or topless except in the pool (and even then no string vests). Haven't seen women walking around the park in bikini tops and even in the pool area modest one pieces seem to be the norm. Lots of pale skinned people who will burn in the slightest sun and the few I've been talking to are all quite relieved to be on a holiday that it isn't 30+ degrees in baking sun.

There are not many tattoos and the few I've seen are the sort of "I'm on Holiday with the girls/boys let's be a little daring" ones lots of people get in their 20s but would never add to them now they are in their 30s/40s.

I have spoken to a teacher, one manager in a multinational company and one who does something in IT. But you don't tend to ask people what they do for a living when you are both standing on a platform trying to work out the best way across 20 ft of almost open space 50ft in the air.

There is a distinct lack of six packs and implants, fake tans and highlights. There are no contestants for Love Island around here. But that's not to say it's all slobs with bellies. There are quite a few who look like they may have played sport in the past and still keep reasonably in shape but now have better things to do than spend hours in the gym or maybe run once a week rather than once a day. The road around the lake has quite a few joggers early in the morning who look like they are collecting their thoughts and having some "me time" before a long day of activities with the kids.

There is a sports plaza that has a bar but it is the most sedate sports bar I have ever seen (even though it seems to have a TV for every table and the biggest giant screen I've seen outside of an actual stadium). I have yet to see anyone drunk in public.

People chat and laugh with each other on the activities. Everyone is extremely polite as they cycle and walk around. I haven't heard any shouting and roaring except from places like the zipwires and the laser combat area where it is fun shouting rather than, shall we say, know no better shouting. At night, after dark, you could be in a cabin in a wood by yourself.

Are they snobs for paying for a holiday in Longford. Well no. This place is worth every cent to be honest. You can see that almost quarter of a billion has been spent on it. The facilities, lodges and activities are all great. The weather was bad yesterday but all the activities were still able to go ahead so weather isn't really an issue.

The people here aren't conservative snobs. Haven spoken to a few at activities and around the park most say that they did the sun holiday and find this much more enjoyable at this stage in life. I suspect most people here have done the beach holiday in their 20s with as much sun, parties, drink, parties, nightclubs, parties, sex, parties, etc as anyone else from any other "class". But not everyone enjoys those sorts of breaks. We all did them in our 20s. I know myself and my wife both did a few sun holidays in our youth that we would now have no interest in. I see the same look in lots of faces around the park. Been there, done that, this is far more my type of holiday now.

And do you know what? That's not to tar all middle class parents with the same brush. There are probably plenty of people around the park tonight who would still prefer a sun holiday but marriage and a few kids kind of limit the enjoyment from a holiday full of drink, sun stroke, nightclubs and casual sex. Life moves you on wether you like it or not. You would prefer to be in sunny Ibitza but you settle for cloudy Longford because the activities and climate may not be what you long for but they are far more suitable to your 9 year old.

You don't have to be a snob to holiday in CenterParcs. It is hugely enjoyable if that is what you want and is the stage of life you are at. If you don't want to go to the sun but are afraid the begrudgers will say you are some sort of middle class snob well I'd say feck the begrudgers. As word gets out about this place people will realise it is a good place for families and is actually every bit as good value as a sun holiday. It just depends what you enjoy.

Just wow, and all written while on location in Centre Parcs. Judging everything from what they are driving to what they are wearing to the colour of their skin... Enjoy your holiday ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

AuldDaysul wrote: »
    Just wow, and all written while on location in Centre Parcs. Judging everything from what they are driving to what they are wearing to the colour of their skin... Enjoy your holiday ffs

Quality indicator of the place: people have no tattoos. Guess I'll take my trashy back to the canaries next week where my folks live, just to make sure I'm in the right company.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

J Judging everything from what they are driving to what they are wearing to the colour of their skin... Enjoy your holiday ffs

judgement or observing?

also if you have tattoos some people will judge you for it, i presume anyone who chooses to permanently mark themselves has considered this and has thick enough skin not to care.

Cyrus wrote: »
    judgement or observing?

also if you have tattoos some people will judge you for it, i presume anyone who chooses to permanently mark themselves has considered this and has thick enough skin not to care.

Ah come on it's not just about tattoos. I run and I never assessed my own running in as much deatail as other people's running was assessed in that post. Even daily running was almost frowned upon because that implies you are not 'our kind of person'. Hyacinth Bucket came to mind when I was reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭riddles

It probably comes down to experience as in what you would like to get from it. First rule of holiday planning is to try and map out what experience you would like as a group and then match the location.

Given that we live on a small island - I like the idea of getting on a plane and arriving in another country. Ireland can get a bit claustrophobic. Others don't like the hassle of air travel. I tried the ferry once and found it a chore and ate a lot into the time. Others again seem to like the experience of it.

I personally could not see Centre Parcs giving a holiday experience for me but I can also see the benefits if none of the above is a big deal for you. I also don't miss the airport/plane experience with young children.

given my very recent experience of taking a 9 month old on a transatlantic flight and still dealing with her jet lag its starting to look very appealing to me for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭batman_oh

We are in Center Parcs at the moment. Paid just over 1100 for a 4 bed lodge that sleeps 8 for 4 nights. Around what we paid for other 7 day holidays to sun destinations in the past where we spend one day travelling there and one day travelling back so basically end up with 5 actual day there much the same as CenterParcs.

Now as to the people here.. Are they (we) snobs? Well I would think they are ordinary hard working middle class people. Most of the cars in the carpark seem to be 3-4 year old family cars and basic SUVs. Nothing flashy and nothing trashy. More 152 Nissan Quasquai that 192 BMW 7 series or battered 09 Ford Transporter.

I'd say the vast majority of people here are Irish. There are quite a few from the North. There are also a few from England. I've also heard the same East European accents and languages you hear anywhere in modern Ireland. There are a few of Asian and African heritage but I would say not as many "new Irish as in modern Irish life. It does seem to be predominantly white Irish/English.

There is a distinct lack of people in the 20-30 age bracket. Most are children under 15 and parents in their 30s/40s

Most of the people are dressed casually but smartly. Shorts and tee-shirts are the norm when the sun is out. Trespass/Regatta type raincoats when needed. Haven't seen any adults wearing soccer/GAA shirts. Lots of kids wearing them though. Interestingly a few rugby raincoats so no doubt that will be all the evidence some people need to call for the place to be shut down.

Haven't seen men walking around in a string vest or topless except in the pool (and even then no string vests). Haven't seen women walking around the park in bikini tops and even in the pool area modest one pieces seem to be the norm. Lots of pale skinned people who will burn in the slightest sun and the few I've been talking to are all quite relieved to be on a holiday that it isn't 30+ degrees in baking sun.

There are not many tattoos and the few I've seen are the sort of "I'm on Holiday with the girls/boys let's be a little daring" ones lots of people get in their 20s but would never add to them now they are in their 30s/40s.

I have spoken to a teacher, one manager in a multinational company and one who does something in IT. But you don't tend to ask people what they do for a living when you are both standing on a platform trying to work out the best way across 20 ft of almost open space 50ft in the air.

There is a distinct lack of six packs and implants, fake tans and highlights. There are no contestants for Love Island around here. But that's not to say it's all slobs with bellies. There are quite a few who look like they may have played sport in the past and still keep reasonably in shape but now have better things to do than spend hours in the gym or maybe run once a week rather than once a day. The road around the lake has quite a few joggers early in the morning who look like they are collecting their thoughts and having some "me time" before a long day of activities with the kids.

There is a sports plaza that has a bar but it is the most sedate sports bar I have ever seen (even though it seems to have a TV for every table and the biggest giant screen I've seen outside of an actual stadium). I have yet to see anyone drunk in public.

People chat and laugh with each other on the activities. Everyone is extremely polite as they cycle and walk around. I haven't heard any shouting and roaring except from places like the zipwires and the laser combat area where it is fun shouting rather than, shall we say, know no better shouting. At night, after dark, you could be in a cabin in a wood by yourself.

Are they snobs for paying for a holiday in Longford. Well no. This place is worth every cent to be honest. You can see that almost quarter of a billion has been spent on it. The facilities, lodges and activities are all great. The weather was bad yesterday but all the activities were still able to go ahead so weather isn't really an issue.

The people here aren't conservative snobs. Haven spoken to a few at activities and around the park most say that they did the sun holiday and find this much more enjoyable at this stage in life. I suspect most people here have done the beach holiday in their 20s with as much sun, parties, drink, parties, nightclubs, parties, sex, parties, etc as anyone else from any other "class". But not everyone enjoys those sorts of breaks. We all did them in our 20s. I know myself and my wife both did a few sun holidays in our youth that we would now have no interest in. I see the same look in lots of faces around the park. Been there, done that, this is far more my type of holiday now.

And do you know what? That's not to tar all middle class parents with the same brush. There are probably plenty of people around the park tonight who would still prefer a sun holiday but marriage and a few kids kind of limit the enjoyment from a holiday full of drink, sun stroke, nightclubs and casual sex. Life moves you on wether you like it or not. You would prefer to be in sunny Ibitza but you settle for cloudy Longford because the activities and climate may not be what you long for but they are far more suitable to your 9 year old.

You don't have to be a snob to holiday in CenterParcs. It is hugely enjoyable if that is what you want and is the stage of life you are at. If you don't want to go to the sun but are afraid the begrudgers will say you are some sort of middle class snob well I'd say feck the begrudgers. As word gets out about this place people will realise it is a good place for families and is actually every bit as good value as a sun holiday. It just depends what you enjoy.

This reads like a chapter from American Psycho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

It’s a parody with a good sprinkling of pomposity nonetheless. Innuendo also.
    The bit about the flashy and trashy cars....etc etc
    Well I’m walking on by. Life is too short...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭circadian

Having done a sun holiday last year with a toddler and baby, then this year with a toddler and a destroyer of worlds this is the kind of holiday that works for our family. We've done a few long weekends around Ireland since the sun holidays and it's much much easier at this stage in our lives.

We've booked Centre Parcs for next year and hoping it works out well.

Things to factor in, we can leave the house pretty much whenever we want instead of rushing to make a flight at some inhumane hour. I can bring literally anything I want or need in the car, which includes our food shop for the holiday in a cooler box, scooters/bikes for the kids etc etc etc.

Going abroad with two kids this age is hard work, and we're pretty well organised and regimented at it. Lugging two kids, a double buggy, two car seats to and from the airport is simply put, a pain in the arse. Getting them out the door on time. Pain in the arse. Getting them to settle down for takeoff and landing. Sometimes grand, sometimes pain in the arse. Waiting to get your rental at the other side while they run around a busy airport like maniacs, stressful. Getting to your accommodation without any food or having to shop on the way with everyone banjaxed from the flight, pain in the arse.

In a few years, aye heading away with the kids will be good craic and much easier, but for now. I'll give it a miss.

In terms of costs, I'd imagine at the end of it all this holiday would cost similar to one abroad albeit, less stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

We are in Center Parcs at the moment..........

Sounds like a fair enough assessment to me and what you might encounter at any family orientated holiday venue either here or abroad.

Families are one of the great cash cows of the economy. Reliable and predictable source of income both for businesses and tax to the Revenue.

Whether there will be enough Irish families of these means to keep Center Parcs going here at sufficient occupancy levels will be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭AuldDaysul

Cyrus wrote: »
    judgement or observing?

Clearly judging and described perfectly by another poster as vicious but hidden... At pains to tell us how it's very middle class with none of the stereotypical skanger types around. Old car trashy, new car flashy, branded jackets and string vests etc etc. Classic superiority complex on display there, can't even enjoy their holiday without letting us know how superior their life and opinions are.

• Advertisement

Agree with the above, travelling with kids in that toddler to school starting age is tough because you can't reason with them in why everything takes so long, you have to care about their bulky car seats, they either don't like the food abroad or don't take it too well.

Of course this is exaggerated but I totally understand parents that would rather not fly because they know their kids and they know how this would end.
    At least there is an alternative to Trabolgan now.

Honestly I'm surprised the question didn't pop up why there aren't more resort options in Ireland targeting families. The all-inclusive market is ever popular with families, Ireland is not excluded there as population and destination.

We fly a lot with kids. Even if we don't fly away for proper holiday we would fly to visit my family at least once per year and that means two flights to get there or a flight and a long drive. Kids are well used of flying and no hassle on the flight but it's still a pain and I hate it. (It's completely due to me, husband sits with the kids and they leave me alone to growl into the seat. Apparently I'm a complete ass whdn flying.) Unfortunately I also miss sun a lot. I love Ireland but by March every year I'm ready to move to another country. I see all the advantages of holidaying in Ireland but for me every so often I need sun.

You're in a similar situation as I am where the family lives back home in another country and when that's the case travelling by plane is a very regular part of family life.
    My son travels a few times a year alone with flight escort service since he's 5. He's more routined with travelling than many adults and his school holidays are vastly different compared to the other kids in school.
    The point is though that many other families have two Irish parents with Irish families, settling down in Ireland and don't see this as a necessity. A family member in England is maybe as far as it goes. While you and me are super routined in travelling with kids, others aren't and are downright dreading a flight with a child and honestly I understand that because some kids are more difficult to handle when the surrounding changes so much all of a sudden.
    My sister is an anxious traveller and at the moment has no need to get on a plane with her 2y/o because she's easily nervous and inexperienced. She takes the kid to one of those awful tourist fortresses in Northern Italy instead because it's 4 hours of driving and she feels safe doing this and is more comfortable. She would probably love a Centre Parcs set-up.

And I agree with you on the sun thing. I'm ready to end my bloodline come February because the wind and rain and the dark days grind me down.
    Ultimate lifehack is having some bananas hippy parents that live on the canaries. Always a place to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For those whove been is the pool purely a play pool for kids or is there somewhere for adults to do laps? Is there any diving boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

fits wrote: »
    We just booked a weekend there next September. Was 530 for three nights. I don’t think that’s too bad. I have twin toddlers so a place that’s set up for children appeals for now. No cars and woodland setting sounds nice too. We have just built a house so we don’t plan on taking any foreign holidays until they are a bit older. Flights and ferries are expensive.

Ryanair flights are cheap though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

Muahahaha wrote: »
    For those whove been is the pool purely a play pool for kids or is there somewhere for adults to do laps? Is there any diving boards?

Heres a pool map for you

https://www.centerparcs.co.uk/content/dam/centerparcs/maps/subtropical-swimming-paradise/longford-forest-stsp-map.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

branie2 wrote: »
    Ryanair flights are cheap though

Meh. too much hassle for a long weekend. The early start and the check in and security and the other end, luggage, car hire, car seats. finding hotel...

Not worth it.

circadian wrote: »
    Having done a sun holiday last year with a toddler and baby, then this year with a toddler and a destroyer of worlds this is the kind of holiday that works for our family. We've done a few long weekends around Ireland since the sun holidays and it's much much easier at this stage in our lives.

We've booked Centre Parcs for next year and hoping it works out well.

Things to factor in, we can leave the house pretty much whenever we want instead of rushing to make a flight at some inhumane hour. I can bring literally anything I want or need in the car, which includes our food shop for the holiday in a cooler box, scooters/bikes for the kids etc etc etc.

Going abroad with two kids this age is hard work, and we're pretty well organised and regimented at it. Lugging two kids, a double buggy, two car seats to and from the airport is simply put, a pain in the arse. Getting them out the door on time. Pain in the arse. Getting them to settle down for takeoff and landing. Sometimes grand, sometimes pain in the arse. Waiting to get your rental at the other side while they run around a busy airport like maniacs, stressful. Getting to your accommodation without any food or having to shop on the way with everyone banjaxed from the flight, pain in the arse.

In a few years, aye heading away with the kids will be good craic and much easier, but for now. I'll give it a miss.

In terms of costs, I'd imagine at the end of it all this holiday would cost similar to one abroad albeit, less stressful.

all of this

good post!

At pains to tell us how it's very middle class with none of the stereotypical skanger types around. Old car trashy, new car flashy, branded jackets and string vests etc etc. Classic superiority complex on display there, can't even enjoy their holiday without letting us know how superior their life and opinions are.

loads of people made the point that thats the reason for the price point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭monseiur

fits wrote: »
    How is it cheaper to fly to Greece? Genuine question - Im baffled. Anything I look at is at least 1000 for flights alone for the four of us.

A weeks holiday, self catering, for 2 adults & 2 children in the Greek Islands from 25th. August to 1st September is €1,955.00 this includes return flights from Dublin, transfer to accommodation etc. - now that's a bargain sun holiday:)

Hope CP do well, Longford and surrounding areas deserve a lift up, should be popular with foreign visitors as well as local but as others have said it's not cheap. I guess it's aimed at a particular niche market. The more variety we have to offer in our little rain washed island the better.

Advertisement