Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When They See Us (Netflix)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'd be more inclined to believe this if it didn't paint the teens as being so pure and naive.

There's really no explanation for why they were there at that time of night. Surely they knew the park had a reputation? I find it hard to believe that the cops picked five random teenagers that didn't know each other, and these just happened to be the only ones out of the dozens of teens there that weren't causing any kind of trouble.

They may not have raped the woman but I doubt they were in the park to just innocently frolic around among the flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great show, quality TV.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Superb TV series, 10/10 and one of the best things on netflix. its terrible that more people arent watching this. Regardless of how its portrayed in the series what the cops did at the time was disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The actor who played Korey Wise was brilliant i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Probably the best Netflix Original series I've seen in a long time, if ever.

They were vulnerable disadvantaged children who didn't know their rights, some were questioned without their parents and iirc none even had legal representation.
    The well educated "professional" adults in charge of their fate took full advantage of this and exploited it to assert their guilt. They were duped into believing that if they were agreeable with what the police wanted them to say, they'd be allowed go home.
    Poor Korey couldn't even read the sworn written confession he had allegedly written, ffs.

It was so hard to watch. I've since watched interviews and
    you can tell poor Korey is still so messed up from what happened to him. Its not something you recover from I imagine, just something you learn to live with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    The actor who played Korey Wise was brilliant i thought.
    He was f*cking amazing, best/freshest bit of acting I've seen in a long long time.

The follow up interview with Oprah is now on Netflix which should be worth watching.

I've known of this case for years now and watched whatever documentaries I could find on it. The way the TV show has brought it to life and added nuances that are not covered in documentaries is astounding. Excellent cast as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Great show but it did seem too biased towards that the kids were complete angels. I was trying to look for some more balanced info but it was hard to find. The only articles i could find were too biased in the opposite direction. Basically all the articles were right wing nuts only calling the kids guilty so they could defend Trump's actions during the time :rolleyes:.

I did find an interesting reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/WhenTheySeeUs/comments/bwsbjf/how_biased_was_the_show_lets_look_at_the_real/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Shelga wrote: »
    Agreed, I don’t know how the jury found them guilty based on what we saw? There wasn’t a shred of evidence apart from coerced confessions.

According to Wiki:

Jurors who were interviewed after the trials said that they were not convinced by the youths' confessions, but were impressed by the physical evidence introduced by the prosecutors: semen (although none of the defendants' DNA matched the two samples in the evidence, both noted as belonging to another, unidentified man), grass, dirt, and two hairs described as "consistent with" the victim's hair[4]:6 that were recovered from Richardson's underpants.[53] (Note: More advanced DNA testing in 2002 established that, in fact, these hairs in Richardson's clothes did not come from the victim.)[54]

But with DNA evidence still comprising a new kind of testimony at most trials, the jurors did not seem to understand the most important evidence: the fact that each of the five defendants' DNA was conclusively excluded from matching that found in two samples, both of which belonged to another, unidentified male. The FBI witness testified that in fact, the DNA of a total of 14 men was tested, including Meili's former boyfriend, and in each case was excluded as not matching those samples collected from the victim and a sock at the scene
    The whole thing seems like propaganda. Another example is the way they tried to make the female cyclist look a whiny crybaby. Stupid woman with your white privilege. Just take your beating and stop complaining.

I didn't receive it that way at all, I thought they portrayed her as very dignified and literally just laying out the facts of what she could remember and how she had been physically affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭letowski

Finished watching the episodes, very surprised this hasn't been getting more attention in Ireland, its an excellent series.

I haven't followed the case in detail, so I'm not sure how biased it is, but its still riveting tv. I thought the way they protray the struggles of the boys after prison was really eye opening and moving. It reminded me, just a little, of Shawshank Redemption, how hard it is for former prisoners to re integrate into society.

I must admit, I found episide 4 very heavy viewing emotionally. The actor who played Korey Wise did an outstanding job and the musical score in the background further added to the episode.

Overall it was excellent tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, I remember putting the last episode on pause momentarily a few times to check how long was left Thinking how much more could he take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

This is an incredible series. Such raw emotion, from anger to sadness.

I think the people questioning the squeaky clean portrayal of the 5 lads need to give their head a shake. This is a heartbreaking case of injustice. I don't see how anyone could have anything but the deepst sympathy for them.

American police are terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I watched this and really enjoyed it and had always an eye on the story in the past so I knew it quite well,

One thing that I found odd the guy who played Korey Wise seemed to play him as a normal kid at the beginning and only really got across that Korey was a slow learner from when it went to court onwards ,

That actor is in the Oscar winning movie Moonlight and also Mr Mercedes , he is a great young actor,

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You should watch the Oprah interview thing after finishing the series.

There's some heartbreaking stuff in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Hazys wrote: »
    Great show but it did seem too biased towards that the kids were complete angels. I was trying to look for some more balanced info but it was hard to find. The only articles i could find were too biased in the opposite direction. Basically all the articles were right wing nuts only calling the kids guilty so they could defend Trump's actions during the time :rolleyes:.

I did find an interesting reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/WhenTheySeeUs/comments/bwsbjf/how_biased_was_the_show_lets_look_at_the_real/

I think the reason this story will seem biased is because the reporting of the facts will make it seem biased. If you want facts you can watch the documentary, The Central Park 5, by Ken Burns. If you watch that you will, in hindsight, be baffled how anyone could have thought these kids were involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GNptTI9Gmc

Here is a NY Times story about it as well, The True Story of How a City in Fear Brutalized the Central Park Five, and here is a few quotes that I find just as disturbing about what we know now.
    After months of investigation, Manhattan district attorney Robert M. Morgenthau concluded Mr. Reyes knew what he was talking about, and that the five boys had not. Their confessions were a mash of error. Mr. Morgenthau moved to vacate the verdicts his office had won. The original story dissolved in a meticulous 58-page report, written by two senior assistants, Nancy Ryan and Peter Casolaro.

It documented how Mr. Reyes hunted and hurt women on his own. Investigators found no connections between him and the five, or to other teens in the park that night. Two days before the attack on Ms. Meili, he had raped another woman in the park. In the three months after, he raped four others, murdering one. He always acted alone. His admissions in 2002 about the 1989 park rapes came while he was serving time for the other crimes.

So we know the group the kids was with that day was causing trouble, nobody has denied this. But seeing that it was nothing to get worked up about in a city that had 5 murders a day and almost 9 rape incidents in 1989, you have to wonder why people keep bringing this up. I am fairly certain why.

What we do have is the police botching the case and ruining the lives of 5 innocent kids and another 4 lives, one of whom was murdered. And still today those responsible for this will not take responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Amazing, just amazing. Especial ep 4 and the guy who played Korey. I never have an interest in award shows but looked up the emmys and saw this has a rake of em but is going up against Chernobyl in its category so should be an interesting one.

Completely lost interest in the middle of episode 3. Need to give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Completely lost interest in the middle of episode 3. Need to give it another go.

3 did dip a bit but 4 is some of the best telly in a long time, well worth your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

ok so I've been recommended this and I've a general gist of the story - but can anyone advise as to whether the rape scene is actually shown (I'd rather not watch that particular scene)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I honestly can't remember. I don't think they show it directly. I remember the show being focused around the investigation and there are flashbacks to the night but I can't remember a specific scene for it.

Just checked commonsensemedia:
    https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-reviews/when-they-see-us
    Common Sense says age 15+
    Parents say age 14+ Based on 6 reviews
    Kids say age 14+ Based on 6 reviews

What parents need to know
    but the central crime isn't shown on-screen

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pat_bottom

cjmcork wrote: »
    ok so I've been recommended this and I've a general gist of the story - but can anyone advise as to whether the rape scene is actually shown (I'd rather not watch that particular scene)

No its not your safe enough. Its an excellent watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

folks - thanks so much, I'll give it a go so - have heard good reviews and need a new show!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,326 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Slydice wrote: »
    2: Damn that got heavy at the end.

Korey
    in that scene where he was being questioned.. looked like maybe he couldn't read. Maybe that will come back later.
    . Just noticed the actor is yer man from the film Moonlight:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7851611/

An amazing actor

Advertisement