Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we tax overweight/obese people?

Options
  • 28-06-2019 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

It would be an excellent way to raise funds for our badly inept health service. Plus, seeing as how we're getting fatter and unhealthier, seems like a fantastic way to motivate fat/overweight people to lose a few pounds.

So for example if you are more than 2 stone overweight, for each additional stone you pay €100 per year.

The potential health benefits due to reduction in obesity related illnesses, and an overall healthier and happier, and more productive society are well worth looking at!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No.

It’s a stupid idea.

You’re in good company though, stick around and familiarise yourself with threads even more stupid than yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Easier and more socially acceptable to tax unhealthy foods and use the money for educational/ diet programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

No.

It’s a stupid idea.

You’re in good company though, stick around and familiarise yourself with threads even more stupid than yours.

Why not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Yes but then women would start lying about their weight.

It could get technical.

A great idea by the way. Do you own a gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Tax the food that causes the issue heavily. Same with cigarettes, alcohol. Can't tax the person.

We should tax more than ten accounts from the same IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

We can have a nanny state or some overweight people enjoying themselves, pick one.

14dMoney wrote:
    So for example if you are more than 2 stone overweight, for each additional stone you pay €100 per year.

What would the administration cost of weighing everyone be?would those that lost weight during the year get a refund on the weight differential? More admin costs.

maxsmum wrote: »
    Tax the food that causes the issue heavily. Same with cigarettes, alcohol. Can't tax the person.

Well it's unfair to tax someone who lets say is very healthy, but every once in a while gets a can of coke, just because some people lack self control. A direct tax would be fairer and maybe teach some responsibility.

• Advertisement

14dMoney wrote: »
    Why not?

Because I’m an unhealthy fat bastard and your idea would mean I’d have to pay more tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Absolutely - it's no different to people committing insurance fraud and putting up everyone's else premium. Fatties stuffing their faces with crap and leading sedentary lifestyles shouldn't have their healthcare subidised by the rest who make some effort to lead a healthy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Fcuk off

We can have a nanny state or some overweight people enjoying themselves, pick one.

We already have a nanny state where everything unhealthy is taxed. So why not tax the culprits who do things in excess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

There is already vat on takeaways, confectionary etc. So if you eat more of these on average you pay more vat.
    So no.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-food-and-drink.pdf

Because I’m an unhealthy fat bastard and your idea would mean I’d have to pay more tax!

That's your problem. Why should I have to pay tax a sugar tax because you have no self-control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I think it's a good idea a Fat Tax. Some of the fatties that drag themselves around these days are a disgrace to humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Well it's unfair to tax someone who lets say is very healthy, but every once in a while gets a can of coke, just because some people lack self control. A direct tax would be fairer and maybe teach some responsibility.

But you're taxing the coke. So that person would only buy it occasionally, as is intended.

Anyway coke is already taxed. Although in Lidl today they had six packs of real coke for 4.59 and coke zero 5.50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

It would be an excellent way to raise funds for our badly inept health service. Plus, seeing as how we're getting fatter and unhealthier, seems like a fantastic way to motivate fat/overweight people to lose a few pounds.

The potential health benefits due to reduction in obesity related illnesses, and an overall healthier and happier, and more productive society are well worth looking at!

How do you propose to collect this tax? Do we all have to go to weigh-ins to check our weight? And how will we determine what counts as overweight and by how much? You’ll need trained medical professionals to do that bit. Where are you going to get them from? How will you pay for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I perform my ablutions with a segment of fabric attached to a narrow length of carved wood.

• Advertisement

That's your problem. Why should I have to pay tax a sugar tax because you have no self-control?

It’s not my problem because I’m not paying more tax now. I would be if I agreed that me paying more tax would address your problem. Turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind.

Mmmm... turkey :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

no, tax the skinny ****ers for not buying enough food and contributing to the state coffers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Should tax air op or even better the small men that suffer from small man syndrome as they always hating and wanting a fight...

How do you propose to collect this tax? Do we all have to go to weigh-ins to check our weight? And how will we determine what counts as overweight and by how much? You’ll need trained medical professionals to do that bit. Where are you going to get them from? How will you pay for them?

The same way you pay other taxes. Government pay for a standard checkup from your GP who fills out a fat-report, and sends it off via registered post. Then in 6 months, your tax-bill, if any, will be sent to your address by revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

Make them walk to the revenue office to pay the tax.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

There a lot of obese angry people in this thread clearly.

14dMoney wrote:
    The same way you pay other taxes. Government pay for a standard checkup from your GP who fills out a fat-report, and sends it off via registered post. Then in 6 months, your tax-bill, if any, will be sent to your address by revenue.

But government would have to increase general taxation to cover the cost of assessing and collecting this new fat tax, so you are in effect seeking to increase your own tax liability either through direct or indirect taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

The same way? What tax are you paying that involves a gp appointment?

GPs are private practitioners. They won’t agree to become an arm of the government’s revenue collecting apparatus. You’ll need dedicated medical professionals hired by government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Take-aways should have a right to refuse to serve the fatties like publicans do for underagers and drunks. 'Sorry Sir you're too overweight, go on now, waddle off you've had enough'.

• Advertisement

But government would have to increase general taxation to cover the cost of assessing and collecting this new fat tax, so you are in effect seeking to increase your own tax liability either through direct or indirect taxation.

There wouldn't be an increase in taxation for adults to get a weigh in. The same way there wasn't an increase in taxation for our free scale and polish. Secondly, health is more important than money in my eyes.

Advertisement