Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we tax overweight/obese people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sunshine2018

Then should we also tax people who drink too much - what about those who smoke or take drugs - or people who don’t use sun cream
    All the above put a strain on the health service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Bob Harris wrote:
    Take-aways should have a right to refuse to serve the fatties like publicans do for underagers and drunks. 'Sorry Sir you're too overweight, go on now, waddle off you've had enough'.

...and turn away most of their customers? Do you think obese people got that way by eating salads?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Take-aways should have a right to refuse to serve the fatties like publicans do for underagers and drunks. 'Sorry Sir you're too overweight, go on now, waddle off you've had enough'.

Bartenders are supposed to refuse drunk people, why shouldn't takeaways refuse fat people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Would there be tax breaks for underweight people? Would that lead to the return of the heroin chic look?

All important questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Easier and more socially acceptable to tax unhealthy foods and use the money for educational/ diet programs.

Just turns them into revenue raisers so the government has even less reason to tackle the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Would there be tax breaks for underweight people? Would that lead to the return of the heroin chic look?

All important questions.

I was going to suggest that, but then there’d probably be none because I’d have eaten them all and used their bones to pick my teeth.

14dMoney wrote:
    There wouldn't be an increase in taxation for adults to get a weigh in. The same way there wasn't an increase in taxation for our free scale and polish. Secondly, health is more important than money in my eyes.

So who will provide this weigh in service for free? your 'free scale and polish' is provided through the PRSI system which is a social tax and btw alot of dental surgeries charge a fee of 15 euro for this 'free service'.
    I realise everyone starts off with a new account but seriously if you are attempting to troll will you at least make some effort. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

14dMoney wrote: »
    There wouldn't be an increase in taxation for adults to get a weigh in. The same way there wasn't an increase in taxation for our free scale and polish. Secondly, health is more important than money in my eyes.

But you said in the OP it was an excellent way to raise money for our underfunded health service; now you don’t care if it actually costs the state money? What about the adverse affects to health if money has to come out of the health budget to pay for your fat tax?

If I have to attend the gp during work hours, do I get a tax credit to claim back the lost income, or does my employer bear the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bartenders are supposed to refuse drunk people, why shouldn't takeaways refuse fat people?

Bartenders refuse not for health reasons, but for fears that the drunk will start a fight and do damage. People tend not to get aggressive after three take-aways.

The main problem with the idea though, is the fallacy that all overweight people got that way because of poor diet.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

We can have a nanny state or some overweight people enjoying themselves, pick one.

I could enjoy myself with an overweight nanny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Bartenders refuse not for health reasons, but for fears that the drunk will start a fight and do damage. People tend not to get aggressive after three take-aways.

The main problem with the idea though, is the fallacy that all overweight people got that way because of poor diet.

Well they didn't lick it off the stones. Or did they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Seriously, just tax unhealthy food. If you only indulge occasionally, it's not going to hurt the pocket badly but it'll make more and more of a dent the more of an unhealthy prick you are.

I was going to suggest that, but then there’d probably be none because I’d have eaten them all and used their bones to pick my teeth.

Maybe we could just tax underweight people too then, that would cut down on their numbers and undoubtedly cure anorexia in 1 tax year.

But you said in the OP it was an excellent way to raise money for our underfunded health service; now you don’t care if it actually costs the state money? What about the adverse affects to health if money has to come out of the health budget to pay for your fat tax?

If I have to attend the gp during work hours, do I get a tax credit to claim back the lost income, or does my employer bear the cost?

Perhaps it would cost money under the initial implementation, however after 5-10 years, money saved from treating obesity related illnesses would more than cancel that out. And like I said before, I'd gladly pay more tax to rid Ireland of fat people, and have a healthier populous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The vast majority of them are that way because of poor diet and the ones that are obese due to health reasons and not poor diet won't be affected if you just tax unhealthy foods.

Eugenics, OP, its your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Absolutely - it's no different to people committing insurance fraud and putting up everyone's else premium. Fatties stuffing their faces with crap and leading sedentary lifestyles shouldn't have their healthcare subidised by the rest who make some effort to lead a healthy life.

Can we apply the same to maternity/paternity? Like, I'm male and never want kids, but I have to have the minimum cover for pregnancy and baby/child cover on my policy as standard. I'd prefer to use it on dental. Why am I paying for everyone else to have kids? Lifestyles shouldn't be subsidised by the rest who make some effort to not have children and want to lead a child-free life.
    maxsmum wrote: »
    Anyway coke is already taxed. Although in Lidl today they had six packs of real coke for 4.59 and coke zero 5.50!

Keep an eye on Tesco & Dunnes, can usually get 24 cans of Diet/Zero from €8-12, 20 regular for €10 sometimes too.

Perhaps it would cost money under the initial implementation, however after 5-10 years, money saved from treating obesity related illnesses would more than cancel that out. And like I said before, I'd gladly pay more tax to rid Ireland of fat people, and have a healthier populous.

Ok, so then we don’t need the fat tax, we just need to tax the people who’d gladly pay extra tax to rid Ireland of obesity. Now, the most effective way of tackling obesity is to prevent people becoming obese in the first place. Let’s not throw good money after bad here; the already obese are a bit of a write off. How about you, and anyone else who volunteers, pay a special tax, the proceeds of which will be ringfenced and spent on obesity prevention? With your generous gesture, we should be free of obesity within a generation!

Ok, so then we don’t need the fat tax, we just need to tax the people who’d gladly pay extra tax to rid Ireland of obesity. Now, the most effective way of tackling obesity is to prevent people becoming obese in the first place. Let’s not throw good money after bad here; the already obese are a bit of a write off. How about you, and anyone else who volunteers, pay a special tax, the proceeds of which will be ringfenced and spent on obesity prevention? With your generous gesture, we should be free of obesity within a generation!

If nobody is fat, we wouldn't need to pay for health-care for obesity related illnesses now would we?

If nobody is fat, we wouldn't need to pay for health-care for obesity related illnesses now would we?

Exactly, which is why you should pay the fat prevention tax.

• Advertisement

Exactly, which is why you should pay the fat prevention tax.

No because fat prevention doesn't work. Tackle at its source. Obesity rates are skyrocketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

And a stupid person tax while yer at it. Unfortunately a lot of ye lads are in the high tax bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The vast majority of them are that way because of poor diet and the ones that are obese due to health reasons and not poor diet won't be affected if you just tax unhealthy foods.

Taxing unhealthy foods is something I'd have no problem with, but that wasn't OP's idea:
    So for example if you are more than 2 stone overweight, for each additional stone you pay €100 per year.

Well they didn't lick it off the stones. Or did they?

Not sure what you mean here...? Or you disagreeing with the science of genetics or being smart?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I had the misfortune of sitting next to an extremely over weight man on the plane going on a holiday to france. He lifted up the arm rest so his body could flow into me :(. I pushed it back down again and he tried to lift it back up. "I have no room he said", I replied "I don't want to be touching against someone for the duration of my flight" He complained to the flight attendant that he wanted to move seats because I wouldn't allow him to lift the arm rest. I told my the attendant exactly what I told him. She offered me another seat which I took at the front of the plane.

He should pay for two seats if he needs two, but of course that would be discriminating against someone so that would never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Speaking as a skinny bitch who enjoyed a family pack of crisps, a 2l bottle of Rock Shandy and a take away yesterday I'm fully in favour of this.

Fair chance I'll be treated for some lifestyle related conditions in later life, but I'm not fat so people have a mysterious lack of "concern about my health"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It would be an excellent way to raise funds for our badly inept health service. Plus, seeing as how we're getting fatter and unhealthier, seems like a fantastic way to motivate fat/overweight people to lose a few pounds.

So for example if you are more than 2 stone overweight, for each additional stone you pay €100 per year.

The potential health benefits due to reduction in obesity related illnesses, and an overall healthier and happier, and more productive society are well worth looking at!

WTF is a stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No because fat prevention doesn't work. Tackle at its source. Obesity rates are skyrocketing.

It’s being tackled at source though with the sugar tax that I didn’t want either, because it’s increased the cost of fizzy drinks and donuts which I’m a glutton for!

I’d march in protest but I’d be out of breath after the first 10 metres and have to stop for a smoke and refreshments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Tax the air. Its frickin everywhere
    Stupid air.

McGaggs wrote:
    WTF is a stone?

Roughly 6kg, or a small rock. OP needs to be more specific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Advertisement