Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't you donating blood?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Feb 14th 2018 my daughter took ill and was brought to Beaumont Hospital with internal bleeding, an artery had ruptured. The blood loss resulted in a cardiac arrest.

Blood donations saved her life.

She received so much type O Negative that the hospital sent out a text alert for O Neg people to donate.. To those people and the doctors & nurses of Beaumont Hospita I'm eternally grateful.

As a diabetic I can't donate, but to anyone here who can ~ thank you, you really do give the gift of life.

Even typing this now and remembering the day chokes me up.

I dont know why people dont give blood, but this is why I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I passed out giving blood a few years back, got a letter saying I was disqualified for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Often see the is a clinic in the local GAA club. It's in the middle of nowhere. Always say i'll go, but it is generally on a Monday and i'm hungover and wrecked from work. I probably would if it was €20 a pop or something, but so far apathy has gotten the better of me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 The Rapture

I used give but if you leave it too long you have to do the Q&A on the night all over again.

Last time it took over 2 hours so I cant be arsed going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'm in a monogamous, long term homosexual relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I don't donate due to an intense fear of needles and blood.

Was in hospital get bloods taken for tests. My heart rate was so high, and my legs and arms were sharing so bad. The Dr was going to admit me until I explained that this is how I physically react to getting blood taken.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've just looked up clinics and found ones near my work next week. So I'll be able hopefully to donate. I'm one of the rare type so might as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Giving tomorrow, and again in 2 months. 4-6 times a year, gave once up in Norway when I couldn't get home (bloody Icelandic volcano) they were happy to take it, after contacting Irish crowd for details!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

A false positive for Hep C about 10 years ago(had a cold sore that hadn't erupted on the night). Am forbidden forever from giving again even though I got the all clear twice from their own lab and from my doctor. Annoys me so it does cause I have an overwhelming fear of needles but still gave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I haven't done it yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

I used to donate platelets until I wasn't deemed suitable anymore (taking too long so requiring additional anti clotting agent) so went back to normal donations in Stillorgan. I stopped when I moved to the UK for work a few years ago but have just registered to donate here on reading this thread.

Should come in handy when the Brexpocalypse happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Miike wrote: »
    I'm in a monogamous, long term homosexual relationship.

I know it seems harsh but anyone - straight, gay or bi - can be unaware that their partner is cheating. If you are a gay man and your partner is cheating, your partner and you are catapulted back into the high risk group.

They probably don’t want to get into in-depth questioning about people’s sex lives. It’s done elsewhere but problems have emerged with people not realising that their behaviour was high risk and therefore not reporting it.

I have in the past got regular blood transfusions and will again in the future and every time, I look at that bag of blood and hope it’s okay. I’m glad risk is mitigated as much as possible. It can never be risk-free but I glad that it has been mitigated as much as possible.

I hope more sensitive testing is developed so that more gay men can donate. I’m sure it will happen. Donated blood is precious, boosting the amounts would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Stopped after receiving blood when I was heading towards the checkout till of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I know it seems harsh but anyone - straight, gay or bi - can be unaware that their partner is cheating. If you are a gay man and your partner is cheating, your partner and you are catapulted back into the high risk group.

They probably don’t want to get into in-depth questioning about people’s sex lives. It’s done elsewhere but problems have emerged with people not realising that their behaviour was high risk and therefore not reporting it.

I have in the past got regular blood transfusions and will again in the future and every time, I look at that bag of blood and hope it’s okay. I’m glad risk is mitigated as much as possible. It can never be risk-free but I glad that it has been mitigated as much as possible.

I hope more sensitive testing is developed so that more gay men can donate. I’m sure it will happen. Donated blood is precious, boosting the amounts would be great.

Don't get me wrong - I support the current approach to blood donation exclusion in the large. It can never be a hard and fast rule when it comes to things like blood and the risk it carries. The transfusion service has no reason to consider my relationship as safe, honest or anything else and I appreciate that.

As far as sensitivity of testing the HIV RNA PCR is stupidly accurate but even then unless there is a monumental shortage of blood I don't think it's worth taking the risk. I know people will probably want to jump down my throat for saying I think the current system is okay but that's just how I feel. I've had blood products in the past and while I was too young to really be aware of the risks, I would certainly be apprehensive or at the very least anxious in receiving them now.

Miike wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong - I support the current approach to blood donation exclusion in the large. It can never be a hard and fast rule when it comes to things like blood and the risk it carries. The transfusion service has no reason to consider my relationship as safe, honest or anything else and I appreciate that.

As far as sensitivity of testing the HIV RNA PCR is stupidly accurate but even then unless there is a monumental shortage of blood I don't think it's worth taking the risk. I know people will probably want to jump down my throat for saying I think the current system is okay but that's just how I feel. I've had blood products in the past and while I was too young to really be aware of the risks, I would certainly be apprehensive or at the very least anxious in receiving them now.

I honestly think they just don’t want to get bogged down in questioning and want to just eliminate human error as much as possible.

I also am happy with the current system but I’m afraid to voice that view because I’m afraid I’ll be called a homophobe. I’m dismayed to hear that some gay men are flouting the rules. It seems like they are putting their feelings over the health of others. This is no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,797 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Back a short while from one of those countries that the IBTS have the jitters about. Have to wait 12 months before I go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Nosnon wrote: »
    A false positive for Hep C about 10 years ago(had a cold sore that hadn't erupted on the night). Am forbidden forever from giving again even though I got the all clear twice from their own lab and from my doctor. Annoys me so it does cause I have an overwhelming fear of needles but still gave.

Im O negative, so I used to donate a good bit in my early 20s until I got a false positive for Hepatitis too.
    Turns out I had undiagnosed spondylitis arthritis that was starting up at the time that was likely triggering the result.
    Now with the diagnosis I cant donate anymore unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

i have donated over 40 times but last couple of times they couldn't get a vein. I have deep veins and it was always hard to get a vein but there was a doctor in d'olier street who could always get a vein no problem, haven't seen him in a while. some times i would see a doctor coming an d i would just know there was no chance of them getting blood from me. they told me to take a break for a while so must try it again some time soon...........

duffysfarm wrote: »
    i have donated over 40 times but last couple of times they couldn't get a vein. I have deep veins and it was always hard to get a vein but there was a doctor in d'olier street who could always get a vein no problem, haven't seen him in a while. some times i would see a doctor coming an d i would just know there was no chance of them getting blood from me. they told me to take a break for a while so must try it again some time soon...........

Some nurses and doctors are magicians when it comes to drawing blood. They have the touch. And some of them make it painless too. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I can't as I lived in Scotchland for 10 years in the mid 80's to mid 90's.

• Advertisement

As a one time recipient of 8 units of blood during time of having my colon removed to cure years of Colitis, I offer my gratitude to all donors out there. Years before I developed the condition I used to donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

I live in New Zealand and they won't take anyone from Ireland or the UKs blood because of the BSE crisis in the 90s. Seems a bit mad really when a huge portion of people who live there are from either Ireland or the UK.

As a one time recipient of 8 units of blood during time of having my colon removed to cure years of Colitis, I offer my gratitude to all donors out there. Years before I developed the condition I used to donate.

I’ll second that. I would not have survived the downturn in my health last year without blood transfusions. And currently I’m doing well.

Thanks, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

I can't anymore as I have had cancer. Its a bit annoying as I'm 4 years clear and it was testicular cancer. I could understand if it was leukemia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sorry to hear that! :(

mark_jmc wrote: »
    I can't anymore as I have had cancer. Its a bit annoying as I'm 4 years clear and it was testicular cancer. I could understand if it was leukemia.

It’s understandable for any cancer. I’m sure you are absolutely fine but there is a chance of stray cancer cells being in the body. It doesn’t just have to be blood cancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I wonder do they stop accepting your blood if it is high in inflammation like CRP etc.
    Or maybe it might be possible to clean out the antibodies from the blood either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I used to give blood before until I failed the iron level test two or three times. After that I never got any reminders to give.

I wonder do they stop accepting your blood if it is high in inflammation like CRP etc.
    Or maybe it might be possible to clean out the antibodies from the blood either.

I asked on this thread and someone said they do check for inflammation. If there were only low levels of cancer, I’m not sure it would register though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I can't as I lived in Scotchland for 10 years in the mid 80's to mid 90's.

A bit like my own story, but I wonder why our blood can be given to people in the UK and not here? I believe it has something to do with human form of mad cow disease in the UK but we have had 4 cases of the human form here, maybe I am wrong!

Advertisement