Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why aren't you donating blood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

My mother was one of the women who got the infected anti-d years ago, thankfully she is relatively healthy now but will have ongoing issues.
    So I made a point of always donating blood when I can. I used to go to D'Olier street when I lived in town but now I can only do it when it's in my town and they don't come around as much. I feel that for a service that requires constant donations, they don't make it easy to donate. I guess they're underfunded like the rest of the health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Because I received many a blood transfusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I got transfusions here as a child in the "bad years" (1986). I was allowed donate at one stage but then they obviously updated their policy and sent me a letter saying I am no longer eligible. Am O+ so super common anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

over 60 donations given - there's something in my blood that makes it particularly good for premature babies so always make a point of finding a clinic somewhere relatively closeby. To those giving out about the length of time it takes, seriously - you are literally saving lives, and each donation can save up to 3 lives. check the website for when clinics are in your area and you schedule yourself for a donation. I really don't understand people who say the couldn't be arsed to donate or can't find the time. If it was you or a loved one who needed the life saving blood - I bet you would be grateful.

Canada, New Zealand, Australia also bans UK residents during the BSE time frame from donating - its not just Ireland.

This is frankly, unfair. Most of the people who have commented on it merely stated that they feel more people would donate if it didn't take several hours and that they are missing out on prospective donors because of it. They aren't "giving out"....just pointing something out. Do you work fulltime?

The relatively short timeframe of usability means we need regular donations. A lot of places aren't available on the weekend so its weekdays only. People have jobs and it's an ask to take time off work to be altruistic. Is it a big ask? No. But it's inconvenient and likely why more people don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Used to donate regularly but have since received a transfusion plus off limits for preexisting medical condition as well. But I'm grateful for those who donate. The weird gay policy is bat****, there's no risk difference based on orientation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Got a text saying I can donate on a Sunday in my locality, so that's two hours of a lazy Sunday dealt with.

Kirby wrote: »
    This is frankly, unfair. Most of the people who have commented on it merely stated that they feel more people would donate if it didn't take several hours and that they are missing out on prospective donors because of it. They aren't "giving out"....just pointing something out. Do you work fulltime?

The relatively short timeframe of usability means we need regular donations. A lot of places aren't available on the weekend so its weekdays only. People have jobs and it's an ask to take time off work to be altruistic, quite at odds to the United States where your blood can earn you a daily meal.

Is blood donation a big ask? No. But it's inconvenient and likely why more people don't do it.
    There are some questions that seem to bring out the worst in people. In European countries, blood donation is usually marketed as a great altruism.

This makes for an interesting contrast to the United States, where a blood donation can pay for your dinner. Here, our culture of donation is infused with a sense of moral imperative.

Personally, I only donated out of a morbid curiosity that ended with the removal of the needle and a blush of red blood on my arm, with no real interest in what happened to my blood thereafter.

Instead of quietly getting on with their lives, and donating when they can, many donors seem to wear some mantle of moral evangelism.

As you quite correctly point out, we should examine without any moral judgement why some people who wish to donate blood find it impossible to donate, and remedy that, if it is practical to do so.

But when it comes to emotive topics -- and what could be more emotive than volunteering one's blood to save a life? -- many people seem to have no interest in cold-blooded (pardon the pun) practical solutions, but would rather engage in an almost religious proselytising, and a condemnation of those who do not fulfil their duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The relatively short timeframe of usability means we need regular donations. A lot of places aren't available on the weekend so its weekdays only. People have jobs and it's an ask to take time off work to be altruistic. Is it a big ask? No. But it's inconvenient and likely why more people don't do it.
    If you're a large employer, they'll come into you and set up a clinic if you have a big meeting meeting room. Or they'll send taxis to bring a bunch of you to/from the clinic. Talk to your HR dept about setting this up.

I have given blood hundreds of times, but my age now bars me. I am a long time advocate of blood donations and have encouraged many to start donating. But naming and shaming, or offering tax incentives, is a step rather too far.
    I didn't realise there was an age limit. There was an older lady in the clinic last time I was there who looked to be in her 70s. Here's the rules - requiring GP approval for over 70s

https://www.giveblood.ie/Can-I-Give-Blood/FAQs/Health-FAQs/Health-Questions/Age.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I gave blood regularly until last year, after discussing it with a colleague who is gay.

Try taking sex out of it, and imagining it was a black person being refused, on the same scientific evidence -- or lack of -- and tell me you wouldn't have a hard time justifying, to your black friends, your participation.

If it wouldn't bother you, that's fine. I hope you regularly donate, but it isn't for me.

The needs of the recipients outweigh all else. By not donating you’re not punishing anyone except those in need. I’ve heard a lot of weak excuses why people don’t donate, this one is one of the weaker ones.

If donating isn’t for you then fine, but don’t try to make up some flimsy excuse. There are probably 10s of excuses I could come up with not to donate, but my platelets go to paeds to help kids with Leukemia. Imagine telling someone who needs a donation, ‘soz kids, I’m protesting so you’ll have to do without’. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Why draw a distinction between blood and money? They're both necessary resources, without which the service will struggle.

If more people stopped donating blood (or money, although I'm not sure it accepts financial donations) in protest, the IBTS would be forced to review its policies. I think most most people who donate are unlikely to change their views, and the small number of us who object in principle are unlikely to have made any impact. But our consciences are clear, at least, as I'm sure yours is.

I'm not suggesting that anyone else donates or does not, I'm just saying we all should reflect, and make up our own minds.

Views will differ, but one thing that is unambiguous is the unscientific nature of certain policies.
    Ok I won't distinguish between blood and money in the contexts where money is a life saving service. I meant more in cases where people prevent commercial gain as a protest, which makes perfect sense. This does not however.

Why does not donating blood to help save lives make your conscience clear? That's even more bizarre. You're protesting against their policies, yes - but availability of blood to help save lives obviously trumps that. One of the issues with the policy is that it reduces blood availability, and you're helping to reduce it even further with this bizarre protest. You're eating yourself!

I think the policy of refusing to allow the groups in question donate is totally nonsense and ludicrous btw - but blood donations to help save lives obviously supersede that. If it would upset your gay friends, then just don't tell them. I doubt it would upset any with a bit of sense. They'd know you're just doing a necessary thing for ill people, not supporting the refusal to let them donate.

With regard to your other post about most people shouting to all and sundry that they donate blood, I rarely hear people doing such a thing. Most people just get on with it and say nothing (as they should - it's not a big deal).

Nobody should be forced to donate blood - nor is a person who doesn't donate automatically selfish etc - but stupid reasons for not donating blood (and I don't mean fear of needles - that's actually a legit reason imo) or blase attitudes of "why should I? Someone else can" will be responded to of course.

And if someone has these stupid reasons for not donating or has such a blase attitude, hopefully supplies will be sufficient should they or a loved one need a blood transfusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

It's mine. Pay before tapping, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Yes I work fulltime and have 3 kids who have activities in evenings and a partner who does shift work but IBTS publishes its schedule months in advance so I plan my donations around that.

Our definitions of "giving out" might differ but I certainly know people who give out imo about the timings.

Edit to add - many of the people I regularly meet there are all workers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The needs of the recipients outweigh all else. By not donating you’re not punishing anyone except those in need. I’ve heard a lot of weak excuses why people don’t donate, this one is one of the weaker ones.

If donating isn’t for you then fine, but don’t try to make up some flimsy excuse. There are probably 10s of excuses I could come up with not to donate, but my platelets go to paeds to help kids with Leukemia. Imagine telling someone who needs a donation, ‘soz kids, I’m protesting so you’ll have to do without’. Ridiculous.

If the needs of the recipients outweighed all else then the restrictions around donating wouldn't be so ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If the needs of the recipients outweighed all else then the restrictions around donating wouldn't be so ridiculous.

The restrictions are mainly there to protect the recipients (with the exception of minimum weight etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The restrictions are mainly there to protect the recipients (with the exception of minimum weight etc)

If it's in that sort a supply then is it not a miniscule risk vs none at all? I know I'd want them to take the chance if I was the one in need of it. Surely in this day and age there are screening procedures that could be done rather than being so militant and showing people the door instantly. For a body that say they need people's help, they've an awful reputation for manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If it's in that sort a supply then is it not a miniscule risk vs none at all? I know I'd want them to take the chance if I was the one in need of it. Surely in this day and age there are screening procedures that could be done rather than being so militant and showing people the door instantly. For a body that say they need people's help, they've an awful reputation for manner.

Maybe you should research the science around blood screening rather than criticising an organisation based on 'what should surely be'.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

To be fair, I have never seen any poor manner from the staff in Stillorgan any time I have been there. I am not saying it does not happen, but I cannot say I have witnessed it personally

So you are advocating the IBTS take unnecessary risk with the blood supply. I use the word 'unnecessary' as they manage to maintain the necessary supply of blood currently with the donor levels they have. You seem to have forgotten about the Hepatitis C scandal where up to 260 peoples lives were lost due to contaminated blood products.
    Screening is not error free. There is no such thing as a 100% reliable test - there are always margins of errors, whether they be false positives or false negatives. You only have to listen to the scientific community on the media yesterday after the cervical cancer check with the proposal that unless they are 100% sure, they cannot give it the all clear. This will result in 100% of tests not been given the all clear and huge huge numbers of false positives.

There are a number of categories of people excluded for different reasons, ranging from where you travel (irrespective or whether you have been vaccinated) to sexual orientation. Rightly or wrongly these have been deemed a slightly higher risk. This is a risk the IBTS is not willing to take currently. I don't personally believe the state should force this risk on them without fully indemnifying them against any potential future claims

I believe in this case the rights of the patient far outweigh the rights of the donor. The patient is likely to be exceptionally sick and needs blood to save their lives. Any contamination whatsoever in it could kill the person. This includes a common cold virus. Donors have a responsibility to only donate when they are in tip/top health and inform the IBTS if they get sick in the days after the donation.
    Yes, the donor can feel hurt that their blood is not accepted, but it is exceptionally unlikely to kill them. The other way around is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

I have a rare blood type which I used to donate regularly..But now I am excluded from donating because I lived in the UK for a few months in the 80s.. I can still donate in the UK and Northern Ireland but not here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I used to give blood as often as possible. I'm type B- so pretty rare.

However, I now have to take meds for my MS which bars me from donating. My OH had numerous transfusions when he was 19, so he can't either.

Makes me sad, it was such a simple thing to do but so vitally important.

If you're able to, please consider doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I'd love to but my desire to be charitable and giving is overpowered by my desire for sweaty, sweaty, man-on-man, backdoor action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Feb 14th 2018 my daughter took ill and was brought to Beaumont Hospital with internal bleeding, an artery had ruptured. The blood loss resulted in a cardiac arrest.

Blood donations saved her life.

She received so much type O Negative that the hospital sent out a text alert for O Neg people to donate.. To those people and the doctors & nurses of Beaumont Hospita I'm eternally grateful.

As a diabetic I can't donate, but to anyone here who can ~ thank you, you really do give the gift of life.

Even typing this now and remembering the day chokes me up.

I dont know why people dont give blood, but this is why I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I passed out giving blood a few years back, got a letter saying I was disqualified for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Often see the is a clinic in the local GAA club. It's in the middle of nowhere. Always say i'll go, but it is generally on a Monday and i'm hungover and wrecked from work. I probably would if it was €20 a pop or something, but so far apathy has gotten the better of me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 The Rapture

I used give but if you leave it too long you have to do the Q&A on the night all over again.

Last time it took over 2 hours so I cant be arsed going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'm in a monogamous, long term homosexual relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I don't donate due to an intense fear of needles and blood.

Was in hospital get bloods taken for tests. My heart rate was so high, and my legs and arms were sharing so bad. The Dr was going to admit me until I explained that this is how I physically react to getting blood taken.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've just looked up clinics and found ones near my work next week. So I'll be able hopefully to donate. I'm one of the rare type so might as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Giving tomorrow, and again in 2 months. 4-6 times a year, gave once up in Norway when I couldn't get home (bloody Icelandic volcano) they were happy to take it, after contacting Irish crowd for details!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

A false positive for Hep C about 10 years ago(had a cold sore that hadn't erupted on the night). Am forbidden forever from giving again even though I got the all clear twice from their own lab and from my doctor. Annoys me so it does cause I have an overwhelming fear of needles but still gave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I haven't done it yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

I used to donate platelets until I wasn't deemed suitable anymore (taking too long so requiring additional anti clotting agent) so went back to normal donations in Stillorgan. I stopped when I moved to the UK for work a few years ago but have just registered to donate here on reading this thread.

Should come in handy when the Brexpocalypse happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Miike wrote: »
    I'm in a monogamous, long term homosexual relationship.

I know it seems harsh but anyone - straight, gay or bi - can be unaware that their partner is cheating. If you are a gay man and your partner is cheating, your partner and you are catapulted back into the high risk group.

They probably don’t want to get into in-depth questioning about people’s sex lives. It’s done elsewhere but problems have emerged with people not realising that their behaviour was high risk and therefore not reporting it.

I have in the past got regular blood transfusions and will again in the future and every time, I look at that bag of blood and hope it’s okay. I’m glad risk is mitigated as much as possible. It can never be risk-free but I glad that it has been mitigated as much as possible.

I hope more sensitive testing is developed so that more gay men can donate. I’m sure it will happen. Donated blood is precious, boosting the amounts would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Stopped after receiving blood when I was heading towards the checkout till of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I know it seems harsh but anyone - straight, gay or bi - can be unaware that their partner is cheating. If you are a gay man and your partner is cheating, your partner and you are catapulted back into the high risk group.

They probably don’t want to get into in-depth questioning about people’s sex lives. It’s done elsewhere but problems have emerged with people not realising that their behaviour was high risk and therefore not reporting it.

I have in the past got regular blood transfusions and will again in the future and every time, I look at that bag of blood and hope it’s okay. I’m glad risk is mitigated as much as possible. It can never be risk-free but I glad that it has been mitigated as much as possible.

I hope more sensitive testing is developed so that more gay men can donate. I’m sure it will happen. Donated blood is precious, boosting the amounts would be great.

Don't get me wrong - I support the current approach to blood donation exclusion in the large. It can never be a hard and fast rule when it comes to things like blood and the risk it carries. The transfusion service has no reason to consider my relationship as safe, honest or anything else and I appreciate that.

As far as sensitivity of testing the HIV RNA PCR is stupidly accurate but even then unless there is a monumental shortage of blood I don't think it's worth taking the risk. I know people will probably want to jump down my throat for saying I think the current system is okay but that's just how I feel. I've had blood products in the past and while I was too young to really be aware of the risks, I would certainly be apprehensive or at the very least anxious in receiving them now.

Miike wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong - I support the current approach to blood donation exclusion in the large. It can never be a hard and fast rule when it comes to things like blood and the risk it carries. The transfusion service has no reason to consider my relationship as safe, honest or anything else and I appreciate that.

As far as sensitivity of testing the HIV RNA PCR is stupidly accurate but even then unless there is a monumental shortage of blood I don't think it's worth taking the risk. I know people will probably want to jump down my throat for saying I think the current system is okay but that's just how I feel. I've had blood products in the past and while I was too young to really be aware of the risks, I would certainly be apprehensive or at the very least anxious in receiving them now.

I honestly think they just don’t want to get bogged down in questioning and want to just eliminate human error as much as possible.

I also am happy with the current system but I’m afraid to voice that view because I’m afraid I’ll be called a homophobe. I’m dismayed to hear that some gay men are flouting the rules. It seems like they are putting their feelings over the health of others. This is no joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Back a short while from one of those countries that the IBTS have the jitters about. Have to wait 12 months before I go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Nosnon wrote: »
    A false positive for Hep C about 10 years ago(had a cold sore that hadn't erupted on the night). Am forbidden forever from giving again even though I got the all clear twice from their own lab and from my doctor. Annoys me so it does cause I have an overwhelming fear of needles but still gave.

Im O negative, so I used to donate a good bit in my early 20s until I got a false positive for Hepatitis too.
    Turns out I had undiagnosed spondylitis arthritis that was starting up at the time that was likely triggering the result.
    Now with the diagnosis I cant donate anymore unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

i have donated over 40 times but last couple of times they couldn't get a vein. I have deep veins and it was always hard to get a vein but there was a doctor in d'olier street who could always get a vein no problem, haven't seen him in a while. some times i would see a doctor coming an d i would just know there was no chance of them getting blood from me. they told me to take a break for a while so must try it again some time soon...........

duffysfarm wrote: »
    i have donated over 40 times but last couple of times they couldn't get a vein. I have deep veins and it was always hard to get a vein but there was a doctor in d'olier street who could always get a vein no problem, haven't seen him in a while. some times i would see a doctor coming an d i would just know there was no chance of them getting blood from me. they told me to take a break for a while so must try it again some time soon...........

Some nurses and doctors are magicians when it comes to drawing blood. They have the touch. And some of them make it painless too. Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I can't as I lived in Scotchland for 10 years in the mid 80's to mid 90's.

• Advertisement

As a one time recipient of 8 units of blood during time of having my colon removed to cure years of Colitis, I offer my gratitude to all donors out there. Years before I developed the condition I used to donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

I live in New Zealand and they won't take anyone from Ireland or the UKs blood because of the BSE crisis in the 90s. Seems a bit mad really when a huge portion of people who live there are from either Ireland or the UK.

As a one time recipient of 8 units of blood during time of having my colon removed to cure years of Colitis, I offer my gratitude to all donors out there. Years before I developed the condition I used to donate.

I’ll second that. I would not have survived the downturn in my health last year without blood transfusions. And currently I’m doing well.

Thanks, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

I can't anymore as I have had cancer. Its a bit annoying as I'm 4 years clear and it was testicular cancer. I could understand if it was leukemia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sorry to hear that! :(

mark_jmc wrote: »
    I can't anymore as I have had cancer. Its a bit annoying as I'm 4 years clear and it was testicular cancer. I could understand if it was leukemia.

It’s understandable for any cancer. I’m sure you are absolutely fine but there is a chance of stray cancer cells being in the body. It doesn’t just have to be blood cancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I wonder do they stop accepting your blood if it is high in inflammation like CRP etc.
    Or maybe it might be possible to clean out the antibodies from the blood either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I used to give blood before until I failed the iron level test two or three times. After that I never got any reminders to give.

I wonder do they stop accepting your blood if it is high in inflammation like CRP etc.
    Or maybe it might be possible to clean out the antibodies from the blood either.

I asked on this thread and someone said they do check for inflammation. If there were only low levels of cancer, I’m not sure it would register though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I can't as I lived in Scotchland for 10 years in the mid 80's to mid 90's.

A bit like my own story, but I wonder why our blood can be given to people in the UK and not here? I believe it has something to do with human form of mad cow disease in the UK but we have had 4 cases of the human form here, maybe I am wrong!

Advertisement