Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cillian not togged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

km79 wrote: »
    Cillian not togged

Iam starting to believe the rumor that went around awhile back that he did his hamstring in a tubber game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Mayo are on telly tonight!.... Well, featuring in the RTE build up to the Munster final. Telly on mute, Mid West up full belt. Like old times!

Shambolic start
    And the inexplicable omission of a few forward options going to hurt now with Coen gone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Three up at the break.

Aidan has been outstanding,Fionn is the pick of the forwards.

Very soft down the middle.Down are very pacey and our lads at times seem a bit leggy.

No idea what the Darren Coen's black card was for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Cillian not togged

Did he stsrt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Cillian not togged

Did he stsrt?

Ya he played in jeans and runners

David Clarke to the rescue

SOooooooo slow to make changes again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

How are they still playing? Munster final is over and they played 5 minutes injury time...

• Advertisement

A win is a win but we'll have to improve beyond all recognition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

seligehgit wrote: »
    A win is a win but we'll have to improve beyond all recognition.

I'd say we'd take any of the Leinster teams or Clare or Sligo even a bit off our best. But then I probably said similar before the Kildare game last year...

Overall
    Worried

And what’s worse is there is nobody else out there resembling any sort of threat to Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Poor from us. 6 point win in the end was generous to Mayo. Down could have had a couple of goals if not for David Clarke and poor shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Job done but glaring deficiencies at the back. We were wide open there at times, a good team would have taken us to the cleaners. Not sure what Horan was at with the lack of changes either. Andy left on far too long as well. Don't want to be too critical but serious improvement needed.

Aidan O'Shea, Boyler and Clarke probably our best three.

Serious Mayo support despite the throw-in time, best fans in Ireland.

Also, Down supporters are the soundest bunch you'll come across.

Job done but glaring deficiencies at the back. We were wide open there at times, a good team would have taken us to the cleaners. Not sure what Horan was at with the lack of changes either. Andy left on far too long as well. Don't want to be too critical but serious improvement needed.

Aidan O'Shea, Boyler and Clarke probably our best three.

Serious Mayo support despite the throw-in time, best fans in Ireland.

Very harsh re Andy,he was excellent tonight.Linked up play very well,primary score creator.

Aidan is doing so much heavy carrying for the team ATM.David Clarke made a couple of great saves,justified his status as our best goalkeeper.

Conor Loftus contributed little outside a rather shaky performance on the frees.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Very harsh re Andy,he was excellent tonight.Linked up play very well,primary score creator.

Aidan is doing so much heavy carrying for the team ATM.David Clarke made a couple of great saves,justified his status as our best goalkeeper.

Conor Loftus contributed little outside a rather shaky performance on the frees.

I'm not having a go at Andy, Seligehgit. I thought he played well but you've to be thinking of next week, fresh legs would have been no harm.

Agreed on Loftus. Surprised he stayed on. I thought Regan showed well, got in front of a lot of ball, won his frees and worked hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Agreed on Loftus. Surprised he stayed on.

Loftus got at least 1-1 from play and if he had been played in by others would have got more. In contrast Doherty and McLoughlin butchered numerous chances and I don't think either of them scored from play..

Panrich wrote: »
    Loftus got at least 1-1 from play and if he had been played in by others would have got more. In contrast Doherty and McLoughlin butchered numerous chances and I don't think either of them scored from play..

Which is a huge worry tbh

• Advertisement

Which is a huge worry tbh

I have looked at RTE and McLoughlin did get a point but Keegan got three from play and Barrett also got one so we need more return from our experienced players up front before criticising the likes of Loftus who also was on free taking duties.

That said, our main problem this evening was in defence and our vulnerability to direct running and pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

3 substitutions after the 69th minute. Far far too late. Boland was ready for at least 10 minutes before he actually came on. Bib was off and on twice. Was like the management weren't sure.

Wide open down the centre despite playing Boyler as a sweeper. No tracking of runners.

Doc and Kev were pretty anonymous this evening. Think keV in particular is playing his way off the team. Too jittery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

I am hoping there’s a lot of heavy training going on back line again cut to pieces like the rossie game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

naughto wrote: »
    I am hoping there’s a lot of heavy training going on back line again cut to pieces like the rossie game

Why would there be heavy training in the middle of championship!? Its not even a player issue, its the defensive system that's seriously flawed.

spakman wrote: »
    Why would there be heavy training in the middle of championship!? Its not even a player issue, its the defensive system that's seriously flawed.

Exactly. James Horan has never deployed a sweeper system. In his final two games in his last tenure against Kerry, he failed to give Cafferkey any support at fullback in dealing with Donaghy. I can't remember how many points we were up with 14 men in the drawn game but all we had to do was shut up shop but we stayed man to man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

spakman wrote: »

Yeah, the days of heavy training are well done at this stage

Only home games possible are Tyrone,Kildare and Clare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Did not get a chance to follow the game on the radio so it sounds like it from here and elsewhere that they were unimpressive in the win

And I had this thought
    Looking back on it with a few championship weeks played the League is beginning to have the following, less optimistic, narrative than it has before the Roscommon game

My thinking was that this team were back because they won the league with fresh blood and no Cillian

But look at it this way
    They beat Roscommon on a terrible night but gave up a late goal, Roscommon whet on to to win Connacht, a better night and they may have won in Castlebar in January
    They beat Tyrone when Tyrone were slow out of the starting blocks after an all Ireland final appearance the year before, something we in Mayo know a lot about. Had they meet Tyrone in the second last rather than the second league game then Mayo may not have won
    They beat Cavan unimpressively
    They got hammered by Dublin
    They preformed poorly v Galway
    They beat a Kerry team that are are showing to be less likely contenders with every passing game
    They beat a Monaghan team that are now out of the Championship
    They beat a Kerry team that are are showing to be less likely contenders with every passing game

So overall maybe Mayo's league win was less impressive than I initially thought
    They honestly could struggle to get to the last 8, let alone get out of a group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Did not get a chance to follow the game on the radio so it sounds like it from here and elsewhere that they were unimpressive in the win

And I had this thought
    Looking back on it with a few championship weeks played the League is beginning to have the following, less optimistic, narrative than it has before the Roscommon game

My thinking was that this team were back because they won the league with fresh blood and no Cillian

But look at it this way
    They beat Roscommon on a terrible night but gave up a late goal, Roscommon whet on to to win Connacht, a better night and they may have won in Castlebar in January
    They beat Tyrone when Tyrone were slow out of the starting blocks after an all Ireland final appearance the year before, something we in Mayo know a lot about. Had they meet Tyrone in the second last rather than the second league game then Mayo may not have won
    They beat Cavan unimpressively
    They got hammered by Dublin
    They preformed poorly v Galway
    They beat a Monaghan team that are now out of the Championship

So overall maybe Mayo's league win was less impressive than I initially thought
    They honestly could struggle to get to the last 8, let alone get out of a group

I dont really buy this tbh. If you want to judge in this manner then you can say dublin lost to the now eliminated monaghan team...

I think we just need to calm down a little and look at the facts. The first one being we are on the backfoot with a lot of injuries. The second one being confidence was undoubtedly well down after the roscommon game.
    We need a bit of luck in the next draw and if we get it we might have some breathing room to build momentum.
    We won the game and that was all we needed to do. Now onto game 4

• Advertisement

Delighted to have another game to go to
    Not like last year !
    Easiest draw possible please
    Try and get through next 2 rounds and get lads match fit

I seriously think something is up with Cillian though and that’s why Loftus was put in today . Not just for today.......
    If so we are in trouble

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement