Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know what yesterday was?

Options
  • 18-06-2019 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

Of course you don't, because why would you? You just wheel the bin out and wheel it back into your driveway a lot easier about nine hours later. Why is it a lot easier to wheel back in? Because it's been emptied, it's lighter. Your pizza boxes, empty cans of 7up and old tampons have vanished, as if by magic, but it's not magic.

It's because in most countries there's these people called BIN MEN and these BIN MEN empty it for you, once a week. We treat them like they're invisible, but where would we be without them? They are the unsung heroes of every society, and yet we couldn't even remember their day, could we? There's one day a year dedicated to these soldiers - and it was yesterday. Yep. June 17 is National Garbage Man day. Where's their thread? Oh that's right, they aren't nurses, so they don't get a thread. In fact let's cut their wages. Why not? They're not even people. They're lads who cut class to smoke reefer. Now look at them.

Here is their thread. Here is their moment.

https://www.garbagemanday.org/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

I was tempted to say Monday!

There used to be this guy in my class in school and he would have this tradition of being the bin man lol

Every day at 11 am when we had our fifteen minute break he would bring up the black bin from beside the toilets to where we were sitting

Oh innocent days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It was my wedding anniversary.

I'm in enough trouble. Don't you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wish they wouldn't make such a racket at 7.30 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

https://youtu.be/YihiSqO4jnA

The Gabage Man Can!

whens white garbage woman day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Obviously it's the day that St. Emily de Vialar is celebrated by the Sisters of St. Joseph of the apparition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

You're a dirty lying whore Hammer89. Thursday is bin day & I NEVER forget.

Go back to your home on whore island

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Of course you don't, because why would you? You just wheel the bin out and wheel it back into your driveway a lot easier about nine hours later. Why is it a lot easier to wheel back in? Because it's been emptied, it's lighter. Your pizza boxes, empty cans of 7up and old tampons have vanished, as if by magic, but it's not magic.

It's because in most countries there's these people called BIN MEN and these BIN MEN empty it for you, once a week. We treat them like they're invisible, but where would we be without them? They are the unsung heroes of every society, and yet we couldn't even remember their day, could we? There's one day a year dedicated to these soldiers - and it was yesterday. Yep. June 17 is National Garbage Man day. Where's their thread? Oh that's right, they aren't nurses, so they don't get a thread. In fact let's cut their wages. Why not? They're not even people. They're lads who cut class to smoke reefer. Now look at them.

They're American?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I sort my rubbish and wheel it out to the curb.

The binmen move it 30cm to the truck which tips in the rubbish.

I pay for this service.

Fair play to them for working and all buts its hardly heroic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Bin men? You sexest asshole. It's Bin Person. It's 2019 ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

kneemos wrote: »
    Wish they wouldn't make such a racket at 7.30 in the morning.

7.30....you lucky devil. theres one crowd that reverse through my road at 6am every 2 weeks just to wake us all up to their reversing sound. they dont need to do it.. just do it because they can. #assholes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Do you know why it's called Panda? Because they're a rare breed these days, bin men. Good ones anyway. We lash €20 into an envelope and tip our fellas every year at Christmas. There's an old saying and it goes, 'Look after your bin man and your bin man will look after you'. That's as true today as it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Garbage FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

TheShow wrote: »
    The Gabage Man Can!
    Who can take your trash out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

In my day they were bin men and the bins were filled with rubbish....just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I just place mine at the side of the road, at dusk. I then let nature take its course.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It was also the 25th anniversary of OJ Simpson leading the LAPD on a chase in LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It was also the 25th anniversary of OJ Simpson leading the LAPD on a chase in LA.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Like Patrick Quirke another innocent man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Bin men? You sexest asshole. It's Bin Person. It's 2019 ffs.

Who's pushing for 50/50 equality? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Edgware wrote: »

Like Patrick Quirke another innocent man
    Who's Patrick quirke ? Anyway OJ was found not guilty but feck it did he look guilty and the evidence did point to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You realise we pay quarterly fees for their service

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Isn't celebrating American National Garbage Man Day cultural appropriation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Three days before the day after tomorrow?

_Brian wrote: »
    You realise we pay quarterly fees for their service

We'd pay them every month if I had my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Odhinn wrote: »
    They're American?
    Ah, so that's why we ignore them? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

My neighbour’s black bin has a gollywog face on it. You know the eyes lips and dickybow even I think that it’s pretty racist and its perma out for collection too; stop cars from parking apparently but has anybody seen these for sale? Seems pretty surreal to have this face peering back every time I look out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I like that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

And no i did not know so thanks for telling me :)

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Isn't celebrating American National Garbage Man Day cultural appropriation?

National Garbage Man day is as big as Paddy's Day. We don't celebrate it much here, because we don't care about the environment evidently, but Stockholm do a parade full of bin lorries. One Dennis truck after the other. It's stunning. Madrid puts on a puppet show where two puppets in high-vis coats beat the nasty Andres Asbestos with little clubs and all the kids cheer when they defeat him. Some adults cheer too in fact. I was in Tokyo for the parade last year and I'm not sure my words will do it justice. No words can, which is why nobody bothers to write about it, but it happens.

Advertisement