Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Is it just me or does the material on those seats and on the dashboard just look very cheap?

That's because it is :)

I know it's a painfully reoccurring topic here but I cannot understand how Opels efforts are so bad and why some people still buy them.

I was at Windsor the other day and seen a "new" Corsa, you'd feel bad for the lads trying to sell them and worse for the people who buy them. The are the new Daewoo/ Chevrolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’d rarely see a newish Corsa that isn’t a rental car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You’d rarely see a newish Corsa that isn’t a rental car.

Neighbor has a 191 corsa and loves it, it’s his 3rd one to buy.

He needs to get out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

bazz26 wrote: »

Seems like BMW may be moving from rear wheel drive to front wheel drive? If this new 1 series is anything to go by. Never thought the 1 series was a looker and this model keeps the trend going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Fitted the refurbed Bose amp and speaker over the weekend in the Mazda, ended up breaking or mutilating a few of the trim clips. They're near impossible to remove without damage if they don't come off with the door card.

On the plus side, sound is back to normal and I can resume playing music at a level that's probably not good for my hearing.

Wailin wrote: »
    Seems like BMW may be moving from rear wheel drive to front wheel drive? If this new 1 series is anything to go by. Never thought the 1 series was a looker and this model keeps the trend going.

Going fwd with the option of xdrive was always the plan for the new 1 Series plus they had the MINI platform available already so it made sense. The 2 Series coupe is suppose to remain rwd and will use a shortened 3 Series platform. Looks wise it seems very similar to the Merc A Class from the side profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Tazzimus wrote: »
    On the plus side, sound is back to normal and I can resume playing music at a level that's probably not good for my hearing.

Depends on the type of music :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Wailin wrote: »
    New 1 Series:

yuck!

3 series upwards will continue to be correct (rear) wheel drive. The 2 series Coupé will also retain correct wheel drive and will be the only model below the 3 series to do so. There was a rumour on Autocar that the 2 Gran Coupé would use the correct wheel drive platform but sadly that's not to be, it will be wrong wheel drive, a real missed opportunity from BMW in my view as I'd love to see them do a rear wheel drive four door car the size of say the E46 3 series; the latest 3 series is almost the size of the E39 5 series so it's rather large.

On a more positive note, the 3 series GT will not be replaced, and even better news is the first BMWs to be wrong wheel drive, the 2 series Active and Gran Tourers, will also not be replaced. They've quite rightly deduced that the 2AT and GT are fishing in the same pool as the X1 and the 3GT overlaps with the 4GC to a certain extent (which will be replaced and of course will continue to be fitted with RWD as standard).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Thinking of buying a Pro Ceed. Anybody have any experience or tales of reliability?

.........correct (rear) wheel drive.......... correct wheel drive......... the correct wheel drive platform......... it will be wrong wheel drive............

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Changing a dipped headlight bulb (H7) yesterday on our Zafira and the bulb itself was really stuck in there. After a lot a wiggling and pulling, the connector for the bulb came apart. Is that a scrappy job, or are there generic connector you can buy and wire up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Looking around online at cars

Criteria being auto and diesel and newer than 2008

Thought of a citreon c5 but honestly can't believe they haven't lost more value. Quite expensive for what they are.

Not in the mood of pulling from the UK either since the vrt price can go from 900 Euro to 2200 Euro ! Ugh

I said Volvo originally but looking over here there's feck all. Another UK job again if I want one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Looking around online at cars

Criteria being auto and diesel and newer than 2008

Thought of a citreon c5 but honestly can't believe they haven't lost more value. Quite expensive for what they are.

Not in the mood of pulling from the UK either since the vrt price can go from 900 Euro to 2200 Euro ! Ugh

I said Volvo originally but looking over here there's feck all. Another UK job again if I want one of them

The last of the Saab 9-5's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The last of the Saab 9-5's?

I was thinking about them, I like the look of them a lot styling wise inside and out, but after that it's an insignia.... And I don't like insignias at all tbh.

But also insurance is consideribly more for a 9-5 than others, no entirely sure why !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

What about a Mondeo, Passat or Superb?

What about a Mondeo, Passat or Superb?

Was considering plenty of them but trying to find one not rode as a taxi , high mileage etc is hard going.

That Alfa is lovely. Will check the insurance on her. Is 4,800 not a bit much for her ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I have always been curious about a Joe Power remap given how mentioned he is everywhere so I brought one of my daily drivers to him (Cupra R) to see whats what a few months ago. I posted the tune file for peer review on ecuedit and its not looking good so far for the quality of the work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

rex-x wrote: »
    I have always been curious about a Joe Power remap given how mentioned he is everywhere so I brought one of my daily drivers to him (Cupra R) to see whats what a few months ago. I posted the tune file for peer review on ecuedit and its not looking good so far for the quality of the work

Interested to hear this... doing big work to one of my own cars (hybrid turbo, bigger injectors etc) and joe was probably at the top of the list for when the time comes to map it. Anybody have any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

joe has mapped a few cars for me (one of which was a similar 1.8T as the cuppa R ) and would have no hesitation returning to him.

The post above is very vague and open ended. More info is needed. - are these peers reputable tuners or the types who meet lads in car parks to map diesels for more power and more economy for 200e and what are they saying exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

tossy wrote: »
    joe has mapped a few cars for me (one of which was a similar 1.8T as the cuppa R ) and would have no hesitation returning to him.

The post above is very vague and open ended. More info is needed. - are these peers reputable tuners or the types who meet lads in car parks to map diesels for more power and more economy for 200e and what are they saying exactly.
    ECUedit is the forum where tuners go to share files, damos etc it's owned by the renowned carpro company who help develop tools like winols and kess.

Example, in my file the timing is bone stock....no ignition advance added whatsoever. There are also oddities with areas incorrectly calibrated, the car always felt flat after mapping and now we know why. Also the ecu has a map table called KFLBTS to protect the engine. When the egt's reach a certain point (950c) the car richens the mixture to cool the egt down. In my map from Joe it leans the mixture making it hotter :eek:......not good

I have been playing with mapping for about a decade now, not a pro by any means it's just a hobby, posted it up for interest after I looked at the file.

Sure why did you go to joe at all then ?

Would it also not be a good idea to talk to Joe about this and give him the right of reply. He’s not going to see it here the result is we only get one side of the story, your posts get thanked and a mans rep is potentially damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Probably because he's usually the first name mentioned on here when someone talks about a remap? After reading this I'd have reservations myself to be honest. Most people getting a remap don't have a clue about whats actually involved and only care about the end result of more power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Damn, this thing is fine!!! Aged so damn well for 10 year old car.
    Imagine this with 3.2 engine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Sure why did you go to joe at all then ?

Would it also not be a good idea to talk to Joe about this and give him the right of reply. He’s not going to see it here the result is we only get one side of the story, your posts get thanked and a mans rep is potentially damaged.

The fact there is no mention at all of talking to Joe puts doubts in my mind of the whole story tbh.

Normally someone would mention going back to Joe even if it was to say he was horrible about it when the poster went back.

I'm NOT saying anyone is lying here - but it's a gap in the story that doesnt need to be there.

In addition a flat performance would show up at the normal rolling road the poster uses with graphs

Sure why did you go to joe at all then ?..........

He probably expected a decent job to be done. Same reason you go to any service provider.

Augeo wrote: »
    He probably expected a decent job to be done. Same reason you go to any service provider.

So wouldn't you go back to the service provider if you felt the job wasn't decent ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Augeo wrote: »
    Sure why did you go to joe at all then ?..........

The poster implies he has an interest in tuning to a degree that he can tune the car himself almost.

Meaning what was the point of going to Joe just to check him.

Another gap in the story that doesn't quite add up.

And then rather then go back to Joe he uploads the file to a tuner forum.

It could be all 100 percent.

Joe could very well have messed up this job.

But rather then sending the file off to random tuners on a website the better course of action is......

1) verify the flat performance on a rolling road. If the guy is into tuning in the way he implies then he likely has a place he goes to already for rolling road checks.

2) if the person operating the rolling road is a tuning expert they can give advice on what might be wrong.

3) you then go back to Joe with the evidence of a problem. Even if you no longer trust Joe to fix the problem - you can still argue the case for a refund. Problem is - by not going back immediately it makes your case a bit harder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement