Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I think Éir not maintaining poles is s myth
    They replaced 2 on my lane going only to me about a year before I left them,that's 3 years ago

I'll take a few photos of poles around here so and post them tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sdanseo wrote: »
    Rural Ireland needs broadband, no one questions that.

But for not only the Sec Gen of the department but his entire senior staff to recommend against something, and then it to be done anyway, absolutely stinks.

Civil servants aren't infallible though. In fact they've been behind litany of awful decisions and remain untouched. Simple because executive officers are untouchable. They live through consecutive governments and allow ministers to take the falls

I'd be less cynical if they had explicit reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I'm not sure why providers are being brought into it. Yes it is likely there will be the same ISPs on both networks.

What I am talking about is the wastage of time and money if NBI cannot use the existing open eir cabling to reach premises left by open eir. It also has the effect that if you are at the end of an open eir line you may be waiting longer for service as NBI might target "greenfield" areas where there are more premises per metre of cable.

Where or who is suggesting they won't use existing poles,we know they will be,isn't it part of the 1 billion open Éir rental fee
    New build to new premises only
    New cabling everywhere obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Where or who is suggesting they won't use existing poles,we know they will be,isn't it part of the 1 billion open Éir rental fee
    New build to new premises only
    New cabling everywhere obviously

I'll give you an example. There is a house 5.5km from an exchange Both routes to the exchange are currently covered by open eir FTTH yet this one house was left out.

So for NBI to service this home they can run 5.5km of cable over however many poles at not inconsiderable cost and time or they can run 500m of cable from the last distribution point to the home. Which is preferential in your opinion?

Multiply this scenario countless times nationwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Of course there is. NBI cannot sell products in an existing open eir FTTH area.

They still have to connect the left out premises en route. Lots of single ones of those. Especially all the ones 150m or more from the road.
    What I am talking about is the wastage of time and money if NBI cannot use the existing open eir cabling to reach premises left by open eir. It also has the effect that if you are at the end of an open eir line you may be waiting longer for service as NBI might target "greenfield" areas where there are more premises per metre of cable.

Look at the calculation I did a few posts back. Even if dark fibre from OpenEIR was available, it would cost them more to use it than just paying for the poles and running their own fibre.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Marlow wrote: »
    OpenEIR .. not Eir ..

And also, OpenEIR will incur the cost to replace these poles plus the license fees to councils + labour. Yes.

While NBI in that case pays an annual fee for renting these poles, which is a fixed, calculated cost. It can go both ways. Nobody says they have to use OpenEIRs poles. They can always do their own, but that will probably work out even more costly.

And for the capacity they need, renting dark fibre from OpenEIR at regulated wholesale price will work out even more pricy ... due to the volume they need.

/M

Well I'd be thinking in that case that there'll need to be widespread cutting of roadside trees and ditches where these lines run. Which will draw it's own set of critics from environmental POVs. And will need regular maintenance, otherwise in a few years the normal storms will cause widespread outages. As it is Eir or OpenEir have cut back their field staff, in fact I think they may have outsourced fault fixing. All I know as a customer is that times to fix landline faults have increased substantially. The local TE or Eircom lad you'd see driving around has disappeared.

They still have to connect the left out premises en route. Lots of single ones of those. Especially all the ones 150m or more from the road.

Look at the calculation I did a few posts back. Even if dark fibre from OpenEIR was available, it would cost them more to use it than just paying for the poles and running their own fibre.

/M

Your calculation is way off for one off houses. Why would they need to lease 32 fibres to serve one or two homes.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    As it is Eir or OpenEir have cut back their field staff, in fact I think they may have outsourced fault fixing. All I know as a customer is that times to fix landline faults have increased substantially. The local TE or Eircom lad you'd see driving around has disappeared.

It is already mainly outsourced. Especially the fibre works.

And fixing FTTH issues at the moment is same or next day in general for end user problems. Bigger problems like after the last storm a week ago take longer, but generally affect multiple end-users.

/M

Your calculation is way off for one off houses. Why would they need to lease 32 fibres to serve one or two homes.

For one off houses where you only need to reach that one house .. yes .. the calculation doesn't work there. And they may not even be serviced by fibre in the end, because even using a dark fibre strand may become too expensive.

For the bigger clusters and one off premises passed to get to these clusters, buying dark fibre strands is not economical.

Also ... the one house you are referring to .. is that maybe en route from an exchange to another cluster ?? There's always a bigger picture.

/M

I'll give you an example. There is a house 5.5km from an exchange Both routes to the exchange are currently covered by open eir FTTH yet this one house was left out.

So for NBI to service this home they can run 5.5km of cable over however many poles at not inconsiderable cost and time or they can run 500m of cable from the last distribution point to the home. Which is preferential in your opinion?

Multiply this scenario countless times nationwide.
    I'd say that house will get a €5000 bill :O

• Advertisement

I'll take a few photos of poles around here so and post them tomorrow :)

Do and I'll put up one of my new pole..
    Not much point in that

For one off houses where you only need to reach that one house .. yes .. the calculation doesn't work there. And they may not even be serviced by fibre in the end, because even using a dark fibre strand may become too expensive.

For the bigger clusters and one off premises passed to get to these clusters, buying dark fibre strands is not economical.

Also ... the one house you are referring to .. is that maybe en route from an exchange to another cluster ?? There's always a bigger picture.

/M

It's pretty much equidistant from the exchange in both directions. FTTH DPs within ~ 500m each side.

It must be an absolute nightmare trying to design this network to get economical use of resources. Especially in the areas covered by open eir.

I'd say that house will get a €5000 bill :O

There will be a lot of people getting bills then because there are plenty of homes in similar situations.

It's pretty much equidistant from the exchange in both directions. FTTH DPs within ~ 500m each side.

It must be an absolute nightmare trying to design this network to get economical use of resources. Especially in the areas covered by open eir.

I have always maintained, that the 300k rollout (while very good for those who were covered) was total sabotage of the NBP. It drove cost vs benefit into nonsense figures. Especially how they let OpenEIR skip houses en route.

I know of a house, that's 80m of the fibre path (on a side road), has a duct to a pole on the fibre path (with copper in it) where there actually is a DP and OpenEIR won't connect them because they are earmarked NBP. Go figure.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I have always maintained, that the 300k rollout (while very good for those who were covered) was total sabotage of the NBP. It drove cost vs benefit into nonsense figures. Especially how they let OpenEIR skip houses en route.

I know of a house, that's 80m of the fibre path (on a side road), has a duct to a pole on the fibre path (with copper in it) where there actually is a DP and OpenEIR won't connect them because they are earmarked NBP. Go figure.

/M

I've seen plenty such scenarios around myself also. Surely, it's going to be more economical for NBI to subcontract OpenEir to connect them (to OE own fibre) even at an inflated cost for such anomolies.

One would guess some deal has been done between the two. At a certain price it would be in both parties interest. Another stroke by OE nonetheless.

Jim

There will be a lot of people getting bills then because there are plenty of homes in similar situations.

Ah we can't possibly know how many of those there are,1% or 3% or less
    We also don't know what NBI's proposals are in network build to deal with those or if they will have arrangements with Éir for anomalies
    Let's be positive
    95 to 99% are going to have something not dreamed of not so long ago and the envy of economies multiples of the size of ours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Weckler has done a podcast with Peter Hendrick
    https://pca.st/22d5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

This is false. There are no economic benefits to bringing fibre to one-off houses. The €3 billion spent on this will never be recouped and seen again.

People said the same on free edumacation and how's we doing on that now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

So is the potential cost to the state €2 bn should things go according to plan?

If that is the case then it is difficult to know why ministers do not refer to it in place of the €3 bn figure.

The maths of it are below, in the case of vat, it still has to be budgeted for in the Dept estimates and paid out as part of the overall subsidy payment, even if recouped later. The contingency might never be required, unlikely though over a 25 year period.

We can all say the cost to the taxpayer will be actually closer to €2bn but the Dept's annual budget estimates must take the full figure into account.

€2,970,000,000 – Total Subsidy over 25 years
    €545,000,000 - Contingency or slush fund (e.g. bad weather repairs)
    €355,000,000 - VAT
    €2,070,000,000‬ - Cost minus contingency and VAT

• Advertisement

As I've pointed out above, the elephant in the room is that a good proportion of the existing telephone pole network owned by Eir is unfit for purpose. Anyone who travels the rural roads of Ireland and looks about them will see that. Only politicians and officials who sit in office in Dublin would think otherwise. I'd reckon that much of it was installed by Telecom Eireann or the old Dept of Posts & Telegraphs back in the day. Timber poles only last so long..

So renting poles off Eir means in effect in many places, that Eir will be paid to replace these poles or put in ducting. Telephone lines were generally installed along the county roads, I suppose for ease of access. These roadside ditches are often full of bushes and trees now which have implications for the lines. Whereas ESB lines are more likely to run cross country and have been well maintained on the whole. Just logically if you had to carry cable by poles, the ESB pole network is much more suitable on the whole I'd have thought.

They don't have the same wayleave rights as the ESB to access land to install poles, so they have to locate them along the roadside.

In my area FTTH went live in Nov 2017, about 15 months before an open-eir man had the job of checking all the poles in the exchange area for defects, proper depth etc., marking defective poles and scanning the barcode tag on each pole which stored its GPS location on the open-eir database. Over the next 6-8 months all defective marked poles were replaced, including those on the 300k rollout and those on the NBP routes. This also happened in the neighbouring exchange area. So all poles are ready to take fibre.

When it came to hedge cutting only the 300k route was done, so NBI will have to do this when they start their rollout here.

On the issue of what fibre they'll use, their own or open-eir's, I assume this will now be part of their low-level detailed design for each of the 110 areas/zones?

The Cush wrote: »
    On the issue of what fibre they'll use, their own or open-eir's, I assume this will now be part of their low-level detailed design for each of the 110 areas/zones?

Yeah, though I assume they know by now whether they can use open eir fibre or not. Low level will be where splitters, DPs etc are located.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

/M

For everyone's sake these need to be serviced by eirs network and taken out of the NBP. Not sure how you make them do that but anything else is a waste of money and also time and just in in-practical. It would also be in the winning bidders interest as well.

You could also look at the cost of starting your gpon network where eirs existing ftth network ends and rent a dark fibre and just use it as back haul only. There are a number of vendors who will supply a mini OLT which is hardened and waterproof and just needs power and backhaul. Needs a cost benefit analysis but could work too

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I'm in that exact situation, feeds from nearest exchanges terminate 5-600m either side of us. No existing telco poles so would need 5 or 6 poles installed to run aerial fibre to us. Will be interesting to see if the cost will exceed the €5000 free installation allowance....

100412.2526@compuserve.com

I'm in that exact situation, feeds from nearest exchanges terminate 5-600m either side of us. No existing telco poles so would need 5 or 6 poles installed to run aerial fibre to us. Will be interesting to see if the cost will exceed the €5000 free installation allowance....

Hopefully not for your sake!

• Advertisement

digiman wrote: »
    For everyone's sake these need to be serviced by eirs network and taken out of the NBP. Not sure how you make them do that but anything else is a waste of money and also time and just in in-practical. It would also be in the winning bidders interest as well.

You could also look at the cost of starting your gpon network where eirs existing ftth network ends and rent a dark fibre and just use it as back haul only. There are a number of vendors who will supply a mini OLT which is hardened and waterproof and just needs power and backhaul. Needs a cost benefit analysis but could work too

I think open eir doing these one offs makes the most sense alright but will they want to play ball? I don't think they can be compelled to do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,635 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Maybe i'm in the minority here but fair play to the Government and just going for it with the NBP.

I hate seeing Politicians playing politics with broadband as no party has a better alternative and they are just going to delay it by doing so.

My house is not part of the NBP as i'm on the Eir fibre list but i'm a firm believer that every house deserves the best possible broadband that is fibre optic. Wireless and mobile broadband is not good enough

There was never going to be a perfect plan and every plan was going to cost a bomb shell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭HoggyRS

Well I'd be thinking in that case that there'll need to be widespread cutting of roadside trees and ditches where these lines run. Which will draw it's own set of critics from environmental POVs. And will need regular maintenance, otherwise in a few years the normal storms will cause widespread outages. As it is Eir or OpenEir have cut back their field staff, in fact I think they may have outsourced fault fixing. All I know as a customer is that times to fix landline faults have increased substantially. The local TE or Eircom lad you'd see driving around has disappeared.

Fault repair is still in house at Open Eir. Installs are outsourced as is the majority of fibre work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

The maths of it are below, in the case of vat, it still has to be budgeted for in the Dept estimates and paid out as part of the overall subsidy payment, even if recouped later. The contingency might never be required, unlikely though over a 25 year period.

We can all say the cost to the taxpayer will be actually closer to €2bn but the Dept's annual budget estimates must take the full figure into account.

€355,000,000 - VAT

It was broken down by someone on Reddit earlier in a response to this:

https://cdn-03.independent.ie/incoming/article38090830.ece/AUTOCROP/w620/NEWS-rural-broadband-cost.png

With this

https://imgur.com/a/jc1fcWo

and figures taken from https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/county-maps-and-statistics/Pages/County-and-Townland-Maps.aspx

Thread (nauseus as it is) is here https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/bm47c3/a_national_broadband_ireland_nbi_plan_is_set_to/

There's a few on there who sound a lot like a few on here, tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

sdanseo wrote:
    But for not only the Sec Gen of the department but his entire senior staff to recommend against something, and then it to be done anyway, absolutely stinks.

the entire civil service was vehemently against rural electrification on the same grounds back in the day and I think the same thing happened with free third level education

so I'm sorry just because a civil servant says no does not mean that we cannot go ahead with it for the greater good of the country

having proper rural broadband will change this country for the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Wireless is unsuitable for NBP purposes, it is time to accept that.

####

On the matter of what this NBP contract is likely to cost ..... €2.9 bn over 25 years.
    Yet that figure includes two amounts which could easily be considered in a different light.
    1. Contingency ... ~€550 ml allocated, but IF the gov have done as careful job as they would have us believe, this will not be needed to be spent.
    2. VAT .... ~€350 ml ..... this does not seem to be a pay out from gov coffers but rather an amount that will not be collected, most/all of which would not be generated at all in the absence of the NBP.

So is the potential cost to the state €2 bn should things go according to plan?

If that is the case then it is difficult to know why ministers do not refer to it in place of the €3 bn figure.

€355,000,000 - VAT

Yes, I was close enough with my approximations.

Also it was noticeable that during Wreckler's podcast
    the same figure was used for the gov contribution.

Which leaves me still wondering why gov ministers go along with the €3 bn figure instead of calling it €2 bn.
    Will they announce at some future time that they 'saved' nearly €1 bn so as to look good? :D

€2Bn, with, what, €1Bn going to Eir for pole rental? That makes this a very cheap €6Bn deal.

ED E wrote: »
    Weckler has done a podcast with Peter Hendrick

Very good 45min interview, couldn't imagine this being done on radio with someone like Ivan Yates.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very good 45min interview, couldn't imagine this being done on radio with someone like Ivan Yates.
    Ivan was comparing the NBP to cable TV in the 80s being replaced with Saorview today. I think you are fairly correct there, even if Ivan is fairly well able to address most issues and take people to task over them.

Pique wrote: »
    €2Bn, with, what, €1Bn going to Eir for pole rental? That makes this a very cheap €6Bn deal.

The €2bn is minus VAT, so €900m or a bit less for pole and duct rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

But but but, yadda yadda yadda free houses for useless people, HSE moneypit, money for the White Elephant Children's Hospital etc. I'm ok Jack and to hell with country people.

I personally think the NBP is the best thing we have seen out of any Govt since we saw the construction of the inter-urban Motorways.

marno21 wrote: »
    Ivan was comparing the NBP to cable TV in the 80s being replaced with Saorview today. I think you are fairly correct there, even if Ivan is fairly well able to address most issues and take people to task over them.

Yea, I heard his rant at the beginning of his radio show on playback earlier.

Denis Naughten did a good interview with him the evening of the announcement - https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-hard-shoulder/just-roads-came-electricity-broadband-will-now-delivered-every-townland-ireland-will-leave-lasting-legacy-throughout-country

The €2bn is minus VAT, so €900m or a bit less for pole and duct rental.

Ok, then 20% of 1Bn makes it 800m.

Still, out of potentially 2.6Bn, (if contingency is completely used up), spending 1.2Bn on a 6Bn project isn't bad going.

Does nayone know, if in 5 years or whatever, if GMcC/ENet fold, after receiving like half a billion Euro or whatever of state funding, but not completing the project, who owns the network left behind?

It's not a far-fetched idea, let's be honest....

Does nayone know, if in 5 years or whatever, if GMcC/ENet fold, after receiving like half a billion Euro or whatever of state funding, but not completing the project, who owns the network left behind?

IIRC, all the stuff we've listened to and read, the state will take it over.

On enet, no longer owned by GMC and now only a supplier to NBI.

• Advertisement

Not technical enough though that's to be expected when Adrian doesn't even know what a fibre cable looks like. A missed opportunity to drill down into the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If the contractor fails to live up to their side, the gov can, at various points in the scheme, step in and take ownership.
    If the contractor works to the end of the 35 years and no longer wishes to continue, the gov have the option to purchase the fibre ... not that it would be worth much to anyone except Openeir IMO.
    If the contractor goes bust during the roll out then what has been done reverts to state ownership.

And you trust...

Any irish government..

To do that ?

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I've given plenty of technical details to this forum and hopefully helped many people along the way. I'm sick of people getting national exposure talking about things they clearly don't understand. You said yourself she was giving incorrect information and in my experience this is not the first time.

I've no interest in taking a 'tech' job in Newstalk.

I only said she had a theory, I commented on it.

Why don't you leave this thread, or at least keep your non-relevant comments to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

fergus1001 wrote: »
    the entire civil service was vehemently against rural electrification on the same grounds back in the day and I think the same thing happened with free third level education

so I'm sorry just because a civil servant says no does not mean that we cannot go ahead with it for the greater good of the country

having proper rural broadband will change this country for the better

Well said.

Of course there is an election coming and rural TDs have had their ears bent, but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

The NBP will give reliable, future-proofed broadband to 1 in 4 people in the country. Whilst I don't agree with the ownership model in full, it is something that needs to be done. Most of the people we see complaining about the cost online and in the media live in areas with a multitude of broadband options. Send them all to the sticks and see if their feelings on it remain the same.
    I'm 10 miles outside of Cork, there is no broadband via landline available. There is zero mobile reception. WISPs are the only option and the speed varies wildly from 0.5Mb to ~30Mb.
    I'm curious to see how their services will deteriorate now that the writing is on the wall. Will they invest and become competitors at a better price point than they currently offer due to their monopoly position or will they start to wind down their consumer operations?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Does anyone have a hi res map of the initial BCPs that was mentioned? Saw a low res copy in a tweet from Gavin Reilly

Edit: Looks like that map was from a floated alternative proposal. Could be a basis for the BCP site selection, though:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1126129502193704961

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Nuphor wrote: »
    Does anyone have a hi res map of the initial BCPs that was mentioned? Saw a low res copy in a tweet from Gavin Reilly

No map that I could find, I assume we won't see until contracts are signed with NBI.

The only thing I could find in relation to the Broadband Connection Points was this presentation by Dr Stjohn O’Connor from the Department of Rural and Community Development to a LEADER Social Inclusion and Broadband workshop in December 2018.

• Advertisement

I think we are very lucky to have,no matter what your own politics,Leo Varadkar and Paschal Donohoe looking at this with the balls to take an actual go ahead and get it done decision despite overwhelming civil service opposition proposing more delay,indecision and fawning over a useless wireless 5G alternative that they’ve no experience of .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement