Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it legal for Taxis to video their passengers ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Maybe if you actually read my comments you wouldn't have responded in such a way.

I didn't defend him in any way. I stated that he made racist comments & that he seems to have assaulted the driver. I stated that if the driver was white Irish that this scumbag would have found a reason to shout and insult him. I was pointing out that taxi drivers have to put up with this on a weekly basis.

I'm supprised that my comments offended you in such a way.

Are you surprised that a person with the handlle "OG SJW" overreacted to your comment without reading your clarifications? Isn't overreaction without the full picture to hand, the basic standard response of a true SJW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Perfectly lawful to record. Processing it thereafter is governed by GDPR and other factors so online publication may be a technical data breach.

Fully admissible in a criminal court provided its probative value outweighs prejudice to the accused.

This, a worthwhile opinion stated on fact and not those sovereign citizen type arguments.

I believe this poster is a barrister judging by the quality his posts on the legal forum so you can be sure this is the best answer you are going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Irexit wrote: »
    CCTV recording audio is only a recent phenomenon. I'm sure most people who not agree to having their private conversations recorded.

It's not a private conversation if you do it in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jim o doom wrote:
    Are you surprised that a person with the handlle "OG SJW" overreacted to your comment without reading your clarifications? Isn't overreaction without the full picture to hand, the basic standard response of a true SJW?

"it was the drink that got the better of him"

How is that defending him? Are you suggesting that he would have carried on like that stone cold sober? No one is denying he made racist comments & is a complete scumbag.

I'll leave it there before I get a smacked bottom from the mods as its the legal forum & this isn't legal conversion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Looking from another very similar perspective, would it be ok for any passenger to video their driver?

What minimum would they need to do this
    e.g. a badge on clothing/back of phone saying 'cctv in operation'?

Only ask after a recent investigation exposed x130 illegal drivers (using false IDs) in Ireland
    https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2019/0306/1034702-sham-marriages-taxi/
    and occasional reports of attacks on passenger, being overcharged or providing an inadequate uninsured service.

Ultimately the future will probably involved everyone being recorded at all times, and at all public locations.
    Maybe via wearable technologies such as GoogleGlass or smaller GoPro4k cameras uploading in real-time to the 5G cloud.
    As all data would be held in a cloud-service, any recording would be perma-stored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Get Real

Irexit wrote: »
    I always thought it was illegal to record someones voice without telling them.

No, for example you can record a private phone conversation and don't need to inform the person on other end (as long as you are part of the call, ie, you can't record a call between two other individuals, unless it's for criminal purposes and you have a warrant) https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/q-a-what-are-the-legal-implications-1.1740070%3fmode=amp

With regard to audio recording, I don't see an issue with it. People over the last twenty years have come to accept CCTV.

I wouldn't be worried about taking a phone call in a taxi for example, as I would talk on the phone if I didn't mind the taxi driver who is physically beside me being able to listen anyway.

If the taxi man hears about a pair of shoes I bought, I don't care, whether it's audio recorded or not. If I'm in a taxi to the airport, and am telling my friend on the phone that my house is empty for a month, I wouldn't say it beside a taxi driver, audio or not.

I can think of very few instances that audio recording would pick up on "private" conversations in a public place. They wouldn't hear anything more than any nosy member of the public could hear.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

I didn't defend him in any way.

You literally handwaved his conduct because 'he was drunk'.

That is providing some sort of defence.

I pray you have the intelligence to see that.

Never mind your 'legal conversion' whatever that means...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Audio on CCTV is older than a lot of boards members. I used to own barber shops & hair salons. 25 years ago we had full colour CCTV with audio so it's at least that old. I won a labour court cast due to audio on the CCTV

What's the name of the case? Be interested to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hoboo wrote: »
    What's the name of the case? Be interested to read it.

Case is from around 1998/9 or so. Not a big case. Employee took payment from a client in a barber shop. Last hair cut on a Friday evening. He put the money in his pocket saying "can't let the boss know about this", or something like that. I fired him a few days later. He brought a case against me to the Labour Court saying I fired him because another member of staff said he assaulted her. It was only at this stage that I reported the theft to the police & gave them a copy of the tape. I converted the VHS tape to a camcorder tape & brought it with me. I let him tell his side of the story to the arbitrator & then I played the tape. The arbitrator talked to him on his own outside the room. They came back & he agreed to retract his case if I didn't go any further with the Gardai. That was it . No full hearing or anything like that.

I'm sure someone will call BS to the above story because no one is that stupid to tell a client that they were pocketing the money & then put the money in their pocket while on camera in front of the till, right? All I can say is that I swear it's totally true. He knew the camera was there. There was a monitor on in the staff room showing the live feed.Maybe he didn't know that it had audio but even without the audio it was obvious what he had done. He stole the money & then was stupid enough to bring me to the Labour Court after I told him I wasn't going to go to the Gardai

Looking from another very similar perspective, would it be ok for any passenger to video their driver?

You've as much right to record the driver as they can record you. It's what you do with the recordings where there can be legal issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Del2005 wrote: »
    You've as much right to record the driver as they can record you. It's what you do with the recordings where there can be legal issues.

The primary reason would be insurance, if there was ever an accident.

With a recent operation discovering x130 illegal taxi drivers (using fake/illegal documentation to aquire licence), we can assume their 'public liability' insurance (if acquired) would be invalid too, yes?

So if you're in a RTA (in an unisured/non-compliant car). You're going to need every scrap of evidence in the event of any serious whisplash or injury.

And with no insurance company liable to cover (re:fake documentation), perhaps you'd have to take a long and laborious path with some state or public intermediary body who'd eventually become liable by default for the situation.

The primary reason would be insurance, if there was ever an accident.

With a recent operation discovering x130 illegal taxi drivers (using fake/illegal documentation to aquire licence), we can assume their 'public liability' insurance (if acquired) would be invalid too, yes?

So if you're in a RTA (in an unisured/non-compliant car). You're going to need every scrap of evidence in the event of any serious whisplash or injury.

And with no insurance company liable to cover (re:fake documentation), perhaps you'd have to take a long and laborious path with some state or public intermediary body who'd eventually become liable by default for the situation.

MIBI cover injuries caused by uninsured drivers.

Advertisement