Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-04-2019, 00:15   #121
newindublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdiver View Post
Just on this point. I bought a pair of sketchers just over a year ago and they recently started leaking. I contacted both sketchers and the retailer and now sketchers are not honouring the 2 year warranty! Sketchers UK claim that they never offer the 2 year waterproof warranty in the EU (only 1 year). It's only 2 years in the US!

Very disingenuous if you ask me. Warning to all. I only play once per week if even that and they gave way that quickly.
I was advised there was a one year warranty at purchase for my sketchers, not 2.

My wife and I both both bought similar shoes around the same time. I take as good care of my own as I think possible, dry them and store them inside but nothing more. My wife likes to keep hers in the car (not my favorite option but I keep my cart in the boot so who am I to complain), and hers have cracked after a year while mine seem perfect.

This doesn't prove anything of course, but proper care sure doesn't seem to hurt.
Advertisement
17-04-2019, 00:17   #122
techdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by newindublin View Post
I was advised there was a one year warranty at purchase for my sketchers, not 2.

My wife and I both both bought similar shoes around the same time. I take as good care of my own as I think possible, dry them and store them inside but nothing more. My wife likes to keep hers in the car (not my favorite option but I keep my cart in the boot so who am I to complain), and hers have cracked after a year while mine seem perfect.

This doesn't prove anything of course, but proper care sure doesn't seem to hurt.
Mine were always dried and kept indoor. I won another pair last year too, so starting to wear them now. Will see how they get on before passing final judgement.
17-04-2019, 08:02   #123
First Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeBo
They have been around since '96 and making shoes since '06 and are a multi-billion dollar company with several top level, high profile sports stars wearing their footwear (Spieth, Curry, etc) ....I don't think they are on a par with the Dunnes Sizzlers tbf.
More like they have been sticking their label (and Jordan Speith's name) on someone elses shoes since '96.

I like their Coldgear but I'll get my shoes from a shoemaker.
17-04-2019, 08:42   #124
prawnsambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy3sheets View Post
Interesting comments.
So, the leaking is because of the top coming away from the sole not because of the top degenerating or cracking. So I doubt if dubbin or polish would have prevented this.
The top is glued to the sole. As regards a regular shoe not having this problem, I doubt a regular shoe would be regularly worn for 4 hours in wet conditions.
It's not something that bothers me too much. 100 rounds from shoes which cost me about 100 euros is decent value. After that time they probably need replacing for support reasons anyway.
Well it could be a combination of factors. When the oils leach out of the leather, it will harden and the loss of flexibility will put strain on the connection between the sole and the upper. Usually around the flex point. So treating regularly with dubbin or such will maintain the flexibility. Also if you make sure to apply dubbin regularly in the seam between leather and upper, you'll prevent ingress of water there and stop it attacking the glue and weakening the bond.
Thanks from:
17-04-2019, 14:27   #125
GreeBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Up View Post
More like they have been sticking their label (and Jordan Speith's name) on someone elses shoes since '96.

I like their Coldgear but I'll get my shoes from a shoemaker.
what makes it their shoe versus someone else's though?

Approximately 98% of ECCO's shoes are produced in its own shoe factories in Portugal, Slovakia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and China, and some under licence in India
Advertisement
17-04-2019, 14:31   #126
Glebee

I would not trust any pair of sketchers to last 2 years, extremely comy shoe but defo not the most hard wearing and capable of any hardship, both in golf shoes and especially ordinary shoes in my opinion.
17-04-2019, 14:39   #127
First Up

Quote:
Approximately 98% of ECCO's shoes are produced in its own shoe factories in Portugal, Slovakia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and China, and some under licence in India
Do Under Armour have many shoe factories?
17-04-2019, 18:13   #128
kev_s88

Picked up 2 pairs of the Nike Lunar Command 2 online from McGuirks today. One comes with Boa which im really intrigued by. Great sale going on so couldnt resist the 2 pairs, they'll keep me going for a while.

Ive had Nike shoes in the past and never had any issues. Got a pair of Adidas Traxions about 14 months ago and the sole has come away on both shoes with the leather cracking and peeling across the top. Now i'll admit that im not one to take care of my golf shoes too well, but the last pair of Nikes i bought i've had for almost 5 years and have held up better

Here's hoping the change back to the Nike shoes will be for the best
(2) thanks from:
17-04-2019, 19:41   #129
billy3sheets

I think it's hard to generalise. Each brand has different ranges, designers, materials, price points etc.
Advertisement
17-04-2019, 21:00   #130
prawnsambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_s88 View Post
Picked up 2 pairs of the Nike Lunar Command 2 online from McGuirks today. One comes with Boa which im really intrigued by. Great sale going on so couldnt resist the 2 pairs, they'll keep me going for a while.
I got those a week ago. I had to bring them back, the fit was incredibly tight. I'm normally a size 8 and the size 8 Nike were too big in length, but too small across the foot. When I tried the 7.5, they were just painful. Immediately. Felt like my foot was in a vice. So just beware, they aren't the same sizing they were some years ago when I had my first pair.
Thanks from:
17-04-2019, 22:56   #131
GreeBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Up View Post
Do Under Armour have many shoe factories?
Almost all of Under Armour's products are made by third party manufacturers in 18 countries. More than 60% of the company's products are made in China, Jordan, Vietnam, and Malaysia.
18-04-2019, 01:32   #132
Hoboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
Nike adidas puma etc, I'd imagine most do.
Only ones I can think of that don't are FJ and Callaway.
18-04-2019, 07:57   #133
First Up

Quote:
Almost all of Under Armour's products are made by third party manufacturers in 18 countries. More than 60% of the company's products are made in China, Jordan, Vietnam, and Malaysia.
I know - it was a rhetorical question.
09-06-2019, 08:17   #134
TitianGerm

Has anyone seen the new Footjoy Flex shoes in stores yet?

No sign of them in McGuirks in Leopardstown yesterday and none of the local pros seem to have them.
10-06-2019, 09:40   #135
ronnie3585

Just adding to the conversation - I got a pair of Ecco Hybrid Biom 3's (https://ie.ecco.com/en-IE/Golf/Colle...BIOM-HYBRID-3), about a month ago.

I've worn them about 10 times and they're hands down the best golf shoes I've ever worn. They're lightweight, extremely comfortable and 100% waterproof as they're Gore-Tex.

As they're spike-less I kind of had it in mind that they'd be summer shoes, but thanks to our lovely summer this year, I've worn them twice in torrential rain/heavy conditions and they performed flawlessly. I didn't feel like I came close to slipping once.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion