Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redmi Note 5 3/32gb €139.99 pre-pay from three (unlocked)

Options
  • 21-11-2018 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

Redmi Note 5 3/32gb €139.99 Pre-Pay from three (unlocked) its a christmas offer - its Global version (not china version) - New Customers to three - if you want to join three then its 139.99eur pre-Pay - if you want Pre-pay and use existing SIM then its 189.99 ...

However...

If you want to get it at 139.99 - buy a pre-pay SIM card from another vendor (say tesco mobile or vodafone say) take that into the three store , they will port the new number to the pre-pay SIM card you purchased - then apply 10eur to the three SIM (so phone with the credit will cost 149.99) - but then if you want to when you get home (or an hour or 2 later for the porting to go though) pop in your existing Pre-pay or bill pay SIM into the Redmi Note 5 - it will work because the Xiaomi Phones purchased from three dont seem to be locked to the three network like all the other phones in their store (samsung etc..)

It beats waiting 3 weeks or whatever it is waiting for a Xiaomi phone to come from a China network - or pay through the nose for a Redmi Note 5 locally (I priced up in one shop and it was about 250 300euro I think unlocked. )

HTH

https://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/xiaomi-redmi-note-5/?src=p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Can you go in and ask for a new number rather than a port and get the 139.99 deal?

Edit checked it there you cant, you need a number to port.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭cletus

Have you a link for the phone? I was on the three website, but I can only see the Redmi 6. Is it unlocked too, do you know

*edit* scratch that, found it. Cheers OP

I think you can get a tesco number for free.....they used to do that not sure anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It's a tenner for a Tesco SIM or free with 15 top up (top up voucher can be used by anyone on Tesco prepay).

Lyca SIMs are either free (online) or 99c (Centra, Spar, Gala etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Eircom SIM cards are €5 with no obligation to buy credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

My son has had his note for a grand total of 17 days and it's gone back to three completely dead,won't turn on etc.
    Googling throws up loads of people with the same problem.Just saying.

vandriver wrote: »
    My son has had his note for a grand total of 17 days and it's gone back to three completely dead,won't turn on etc.
    Googling throws up loads of people with the same problem.Just saying.

Strange, Xiaomi are usually the most reliable from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Strange, Xiaomi are usually the most reliable from China.

On their higher end phones certainly. Low end ones aren't great. But you get what you pay for as usual.

adm wrote: »
    On their higher end phones certainly. Low end ones aren't great. But you get what you pay for as usual.

I only buy low end Chinese phones and the 2 I had where great, only downside I find with them are that they are more likely to break the screen if dropped on a hard surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Ten Pin wrote: »
    It's a tenner for a Tesco SIM or free with 15 top up (top up voucher can be used by anyone on Tesco prepay).

Lyca SIMs are either free (online) or 99c (Centra, Spar, Gala etc)

I could've saved myself nearly a tenner then and got a Lyca mobile SIM. its only for the 3 sales lady said pop into tesco and get a SIM without credit .. but I suppose it would have worked with any SIM from any provider

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭as.eirinn

I only buy low end Chinese phones and the 2 I had where great, only downside I find with them are that they are more likely to break the screen if dropped on a hard surface.

Great thing is you can fix them for less than 20, pop out the internals and swap them into a new screen and frame from hong kong ebay, tutorials on youtube...screens are factory seconds but work and look 'as new';)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

and what about Huawei P Smart for 79e+20e top up 99e all together
    https://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/huawei-p-smart/?src=p

• Registered Users Posts: 41 OsZa

P smart is a good phone for that price. Only downside for me is sound, I wish phone was louder, but otherwise good all rounder.

OsZa wrote: »
    P smart is a good phone for that price. Only downside for me is sound, I wish phone was louder, but otherwise good all rounder.
    but maybe is expensive to unlock

P Smart looks good specs too - personally I liked the idea that the Xiaomi ones are not locked to the 3 network so you can put in any SIM .

nice loud ringtone on the Xiaomi Note 5 - louder than my previous Huawei . I fancy having a go at Rooting it soon (if i dont brick it) I think I read somewher the Xiaomi phones were pretty easy to root. - lovely fast responsive phone (well most of them are when you get them at the start) with 3gb ram should be OK. Nice clear and bright pictures with the 2 cameras on the back .

getting 4k video with the google cam app - I am just trying to suss out with these 2 camera phones how you make everything in focus in a photo, i mean its very cool having the depth of field effect and the background blurred , but there might be times where you just want everything in focus , I wonder is there there a way to disable the secondary camera on the back and just use the one main primary camera out of the 2 - I cannot see it in settings .. does anyone know?

Can you go in and ask for a new number rather than a port and get the 139.99 deal?

Edit checked it there you cant, you need a number to port.

yeah, I think if you want it with a new number then its 189eur ... if say your a Vodafone pre-pay customer but you wanted to move over to three pre-pay then you will get it for 139.99

that must mean that if you are already a three pre-pay customer but like the look of it and want to buy it you have to pay 189eur .. because you are not a new customer? - have I that right? ... doesnt seem fair

on amazon is 139£ now, maybe tomorrow will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭skippy15

yeah, I think if you want it with a new number then its 189eur ... if say your a Vodafone pre-pay customer but you wanted to move over to three pre-pay then you will get it for 139.99

that must mean that if you are already a three pre-pay customer but like the look of it and want to buy it you have to pay 189eur .. because you are not a new customer? - have I that right? ... doesnt seem fair

100% spot on, I went in and argued that fact- salesman couldn't answer but said had no control.
    So got the wife to "swap" over her pre pay number. Gave me a new three sim to swap to change her number on. Never bothered even putting that sim in and I just started using it on my number. Bosh
    Had the phone before and I love it is am amazing phone battery and operating speed and all, Don't think anything comes close for the price personally

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Redmi 6 there for the same money.

Which would be be better?

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »

I see that when i was in the shop - I liked the look and feel of the note 5 better personally - you see there with that Redmi 6 that you dont have to be a new customer for that price of 139eur you can just rock in off the street and buy it for 139eur and get a new pre-pay number and just pop in any SIM because like the 5 not it should be unlocked to all networks (as all the Xiaomi phones are in a three store)

Have you seen the redmi 6 also have an offer on for a fitness pack including like a fitbit watch in the deal?

Redmi 6 by the way has a 3000mah battery (but it has got a slightly smaller screen - so might balance out) but the Note 5 has a 4000mah battery

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Redmi Note 5 3/32gb €139.99 Pre-Pay from three (unlocked) its a christmas offer - its Global version (not china version) - New Customers to three - if you want to join three then its 139.99eur pre-Pay - if you want Pre-pay and use existing SIM then its 189.99 ...

However...

If you want to get it at 139.99 - buy a pre-pay SIM card from another vendor (say tesco mobile or vodafone say) take that into the three store , they will port the new number to the pre-pay SIM card you purchased - then apply 10eur to the three SIM (so phone with the credit will cost 149.99) - but then if you want to when you get home (or an hour or 2 later for the porting to go though) pop in your existing Pre-pay or bill pay SIM into the Redmi Note 5 - it will work because the Xiaomi Phones purchased from three dont seem to be locked to the three network like all the other phones in their store (samsung etc..)

It beats waiting 3 weeks or whatever it is waiting for a Xiaomi phone to come from a China network - or pay through the nose for a Redmi Note 5 locally (I priced up in one shop and it was about 250 300euro I think unlocked. )

HTH

https://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/xiaomi-redmi-note-5/?src=p

You have to buy 10credit aswell?

sasta le wrote: »
    You have to buy 10credit aswell?

well I had to so

139.99 (Handset) +

10 (Tesco SIM Mobile Card only without credit on it) +

10 charged from Three (I presume to top up the Pre-Pay card)

Thats how it worked for me - (i havent checked yet) but i presume that if I put the 3 SIM into SIM 2 slot on the handset it will have 10eur of credit on it (three pre-pay 083 ) and a new number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thats how it worked for me - (i havent checked yet) but i presume that if I put the 3 SIM into SIM 2 slot on the handset it will have 10eur of credit on it (three pre-pay 083 ) and a new number

Does it recognise the 2nd sim slot? I thought the software would lock the use of a 2nd sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

mfceiling wrote: »

rizzee wrote: »
    Does it recognise the 2nd sim slot? I thought the software would lock the use of a 2nd sim.

It is not locked/disabled and the devices have stock MIUI, not a vendor rom.
    corkie wrote: »
    Xiaomi devices are not locked to Three.

But you should avoid that entry level [REDMI 6]CRAP Mediatek CPU device.

If your buying through the free bill pay offer, have a look at the better Redmi Note 5, instead.

rizzee wrote: »

haven't tried it yet - even though its loaded with Global version in the menu for IMEI information it says IMEI (Slot 1) and IMEI (Slot2) - so i am presuming its still a Dual SIM phone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

Welcome to new owners of WHYRED{Redmi Note 5}

There is a dedicated thread for the device in the Android forums.

Where everything from debloating MIUI and flashing custom roms is discussed along with suggestion for cases etc.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Have my RN5 4/64gb since May, I hope people are not paying through the nose with 3 Bill Pay for 3/32gb version.

corkie wrote: »
    Welcome to new owners of WHYRED{Redmi Note 5}

There is a dedicated thread for the device in the Android forums.

Where everything from debloating MIUI and flashing custom roms is discussed along with suggestion for cases etc.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Have my RN5 4/64gb since May, I hope people are not paying through the nose with 3 Bill Pay for 3/32gb version.

Brilliant, thanks I shall have a lookie at that . I bet the 4/64 is nice - I got the 3/32 but on pre-pay from there .

Personal preferences, wish the phone / screen was a bit wider (when using upright in portrait) and that the cameras were in middle of the phone as opposed to the edge after using it a couple of days now

• Advertisement

bondja80 wrote: »

Says 134.99 UK pounds for me when I go on that link. I don't normally like phones when they have the word 'lite' in the description, normally means some features are cut down from a flagship model. But it does look like it's got decent specs

Advertisement