Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coddle Recipe

Options
  • 28-08-2018 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭

Thinking of making a coddle, like my mother used to make only its years since she passed and Im not sure I remember it properly!!

So assistance needed please:

Ingredients
    Butchers sausages
    Streaky rashers (and sometimes pork skirts? Do they still exist?)
    Potatoes (waxy)
    Onion
    Carrot
    Pearl Barley
    White pepper
    Parsley and Thyme

Method
    Boil the sausages and streaky rashers in stock - then allow to cool and skim off the fat.

Add everything else except the parsley and thyme, roughly chopped, add more water or stock, bring to boil and simmer gently for 45 minutes or so. Add the parsley and thyme and give it another 10/15 minutes.

Does that sound reasonable? Im confused about the fat skimming. I have a feeling it was done once at the start but then perhaps again later on?

Also confused about the bacon. I distinctly remember streaky rashers and pork skirts sometimes, but there might have been another type of bacon from time to time that was soaked overnight then the water thrown out.

I also seem to remember more herbs but not sure what.

Any info gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I've come to realise that Coddle is subjective to the eater!!
    Just go with your recipe and see how it tastes.
    But FYI make it the day before.

You've got to think back to the times it was made, it was a poor mans dish.
    They wouldn't have put Herbs in and I've to stop myself adding garlic.

"They" say you should use fatty sausages and just normal rashers.

I didn't skim at all.

My friend uses a tin of potato and leek soup, but I just use stock and add a floury potato.

If it's any help, here's what I do.
    Roughly chop up carrots,
    Chop celery and onion a little smaller.
    Chop up Rashers - my own opinion is that streaky would be too salty.
    Chop up a floury potato or two to thicken.
    Brown them off in a large pot with a little oil.
    Just about cover the veg with stock.
    Simmer til veg is soft, about 40 mins.
    Add in the Sausages (clonakilty) - I chop them, my friend thinks that's a criminal offence.

Simmer for another 20 mins or so.

It's a salty dish so don't add too much more.
    It thickens overnight.

There was a thread on this some years ago, I'll look for it.
    photo-18.JPG

Link to previous thread I was thinking of:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054885861&page=3

There's loads of other threads

Edited to say, you've GOT to eat with fresh crusty bread and real butter spread thickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

NO CARROTS :)

Sausages
    Ham pieces
    Onion
    Spuds
    My mammy would add couple of halved tomatoes
    And cardinal sin.................oxtail soup (Delicious)
    No herbs

Oh and agree with the omment of crusty bread and butter

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Nooooooooooo it has to be white leek and potato soup!!!!!

kellyshell wrote: »
    NO CARROTS :)

Sausages
    Ham pieces
    Onion
    Spuds
    My mammy would add couple of halved tomatoes
    And cardinal sin.................oxtail soup (Delicious)
    No herbs

Oh and agree with the omment of crusty bread and butter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

All coddle recipes are different because all households are different. My Mum used to occasionally make coddle but it was nothing special.

Her Rasher and Sausage Pie however, was food for the gods! :)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057392393/1/#post94569139

I like to think of it as middle class coddle :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

All sounds fairly vile to be honest.And I'm from Cork.Grew up on tripe and drisheen,crubeens,skirts and kidneys.Coddle just sounds awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

All coddle recipes are different because all households are different. My Mum used to occasionally make coddle but it was nothing special.

Her Rasher and Sausage Pie however, was food for the gods! :)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057392393/1/#post94569139

I like to think of it as middle class coddle :rolleyes: ;)

That rasher and sausage pie sounds very nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

magentis wrote: »
    All sounds fairly vile to be honest.And I'm from Cork.Grew up on tripe and drisheen,crubeens,skirts and kidneys.Coddle just sounds awful.

Thought that too til I cooked it for other half.
    Had a taste after cooking it and really it's a taste sensation.

it's a cheap and handy dish to make - you should try it for pig iron :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Potatoes (Roosters) peeled & chopped appropriately
    Sausages (12-18) (Preferably Superquinn), cut into 1-2 cm lengths
    Bacon rashers (16) (with the fat cut off)
    1 onion diced

All in a pot of water and brought to the boil

Next add a packet of Knorr Leek & Potato soup to a mug, and top up the mug with milk and stir it into a thick paste. When the water is approaching boiling, slowly introduce the paste to the pot, constantly stirring. Once all the paste is added, add some salt & pepper to season, give another big stir and simmer for a minimum of 2 hours.

I've been making it this way since I was a kid. A recipe my grandmother (from Ringsend) passed onto me.

So so easy, and so so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Id love to compile a list of various coddle recipes.

Im giggling away at carrots being a sin but tomatoes being acceptable!!

And soup mix - ah stop! (although Ive a feeling my mammy cheated with the soup sometimes too!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

magentis wrote: »
    I was surprised when i moved outside dublin 20 years ago how few people knew about coddle, even to this day i have friends who never heard of it until its being made in my house!

My wife makes a savage coddle, i think i need it for dinner today now....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I put a teaspoon of curry powder in :o . If it was good enough for my granny it's good enough for me. I also use proper rashers cut up, rather than streaky bacon. Nothing better than taking your spoon out of the bowl and seeing you've hit the jackpot with a bit of sausage and a bit of rasher!

I put a teaspoon of curry powder in :o . If it was good enough for my granny it's good enough for me. I also use proper rashers cut up, rather than streaky bacon. Nothing better than taking your spoon out of the bowl and seeing you've hit the jackpot with a bit of sausage and a bit of rasher!

oooh - you just reminded me my mammy used to throw in a spoon of worchester sauce (is that what its called?)

Hang on, you cut up the sausages and rashers before ya cook it??! We leave them whole!

aaakev wrote: »
    My wife makes a savage coddle, i think i need it for dinner today now....

Will you ask her for the recipe please?

Its amazing all the different ways its made!

My mammy put the oxtail soup in because me and the sis wouldnt eat it white. The tomatoes...........she had a few going soft so instead of wasting she threw them in!

My aunt would have a white coddle for breakfast and would poach an egg in it as well :)

kellyshell wrote: »

My aunt would have a white coddle for breakfast and would poach an egg in it as well :)

Sounds amazing.

We only ever had it white.

To me, its the taste of Saturdays of my childhood. I have a particularly strong association with Live Aid and coddle (must have been a good batch that day).

Speaking of batch - nothing like dipping a crusty batch heel in your coddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Surely the wide variation in "recipes" for coddle is down to what it was fundamentally, a means of getting rid of leftovers. If you're living in abject poverty in a tenement building in inner city Dublin at the end of the 19th century and you have a spare carrot lying around that's starting to look a bit dodgy, what are you going to do? Throw it away or chuck it in the coddle? Same goes for any other random ingredient you might have lying around.

Hang on, you cut up the sausages and rashers before ya cook it??! We leave them whole!

Not the sausages...just the rashers. The sausages will cut with the spoon *drool*

....... wrote: »
    oooh - you just reminded me my mammy used to throw in a spoon of worchester sauce (is that what its called?)

Hah! You just reminded me back...my grandad used to put it on when it was served up to him. I totally forgot...must try it next time.

Sounds amazing.

To me, its the taste of Saturdays of my childhood. I have a particularly strong association with Live Aid and coddle (must have been a good batch that day).

Speaking of batch - nothing like dipping a crusty batch heel in your coddle.

Yeh but when she had it white it was just the water with the meat juices!!! Same for all my mammy's side of the family!!!

and yeah a coddle sambo on batch bread is delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It should only ever be white!!

No carrots, no tomatoes, no herbs, no nothing!! My mam cringes at the thought of any of that malarky and I'd say my nan would turn in her grave given her inner city roots!

Water,
    Superquinn (a bit fancy I know) Sausages (cut the skin off before putting in to the pot and leave whole),
    Chunks off a Ham/Bacon Joint or nice chunky bacon from Meath St,
    Potatoes (not too small or just goes to mush),
    Onion (we leave it hole as I hate onion, so we cook it then chuck it in the bin).

Optional some brown bread or batch loaf!

It should only ever be white!!

No carrots, no tomatoes, no herbs, no nothing!! My mam cringes at the thought of any of that malarky and I'd say my nan would turn in her grave given her inner city roots!

Water,
    Superquinn (a bit fancy I know) Sausages (cut the skin off before putting in to the pot and leave whole),
    Chunks off a Ham/Bacon Joint or nice chunky bacon from Meath St,
    Potatoes (not too small or just goes to mush),
    Onion (we leave it hole as I hate onion, so we cook it then chuck it in the bin).

Optional some brown bread or batch loaf!

Meath Street!!!! Best butchers up that street!!
    That's pretty much how my lot did it except my mammy had two fussy f*ckers so had to change it slightly haha

Will you ask her for the recipe please?

I could tell you but id have to kill you

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Exactly how I make it, so good! Especially with a really good batch/turnover with real butter!
    Potatoes (Roosters) peeled & chopped appropriately
    Sausages (12-18) (Preferably Superquinn), cut into 1-2 cm lengths
    Bacon rashers (16) (with the fat cut off)
    1 onion diced

All in a pot of water and brought to the boil

Next add a packet of Knorr Leek & Potato soup to a mug, and top up the mug with milk and stir it into a thick paste. When the water is approaching boiling, slowly introduce the paste to the pot, constantly stirring. Once all the paste is added, add some salt & pepper to season, give another big stir and simmer for a minimum of 2 hours.

I've been making it this way since I was a kid. A recipe my grandmother (from Ringsend) passed onto me.

So so easy, and so so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't buy the idea that coddle was a leftovers dish.
    Uncooked rashers, sausages, potatoes and onions aren't leftovers, they are ingredients in themselves.

Anyway, I've never had or made coddle but I keep meaning to.

My (Cork:eek:) coddle will have carrots, onion and celery.
    It will also have thyme and parsley (fresh).
    It most certainly will not have any packet soup in it.
    I'm thinking that it won't need stock - just water but I'm open about that.
    I will use bacon pieces (maybe streaky/belly) rather than rashers.
    I might just brown the sausages:eek::eek::eek::D:D

Some funny attitudes to streaky bacon here.
    One poster using "proper rashers", rather than streaky and another poster suggesting that streaky rashers are saltier than loin:confused::confused::confused:

Streaky bacon for the win!!

I hope I haven't upset tooo many people with my Cork coddle.

BTW, drisheen is one of the most foul foodstuffs ever created.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Gonna start making it soon. As said, each house has their own variant. My mam makes it using the bacon bits from the butchers or Aldi.
    I see Worcester Sauce mentioned. I've thrown a few splashes in after its cook for my own taste occasionally but wouldnt put it in from the start!

I could tell you but id have to kill you

I would accept a compromise whereby you just send me some coddle to eat?

I would accept a compromise whereby you just send me some coddle to eat?

Wife to me to feck off that she will make it next week because she has not got the ingredients. Ill stickit in the post next week, it'll take a day or 2 to get to you but its always better after a couple of days!

Wife to me to feck off that she will make it next week because she has not got the ingredients. Ill stickit in the post next week, it'll take a day or 2 to get to you but its always better after a couple of days!

Itll be at its best!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No carrots that's a stew

Potatos peeled cut in two
    Onions sliced or Shalots
    Rashers back and streaky
    White Pudding never black
    Tomatoes fresh not tinned
    Kearns Sausages
    Sub. pork sausages Denny

Advertisement