Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coddle Recipe

Options

Comments

Tomatoes in a coddle is blasphemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I don't buy the idea that coddle was a leftovers dish.
    Uncooked rashers, sausages, potatoes and onions aren't leftovers, they are ingredients in themselves.

Anyway, I've never had or made coddle but I keep meaning to.

My (Cork:eek:) coddle will have carrots, onion and celery.
    It will also have thyme and parsley (fresh).
    It most certainly will not have any packet soup in it.
    I'm thinking that it won't need stock - just water but I'm open about that.
    I will use bacon pieces (maybe streaky/belly) rather than rashers.
    I might just brown the sausages:eek::eek::eek::D:D

Some funny attitudes to streaky bacon here.
    One poster using "proper rashers", rather than streaky and another poster suggesting that streaky rashers are saltier than loin:confused::confused::confused:

Streaky bacon for the win!!

I hope I haven't upset tooo many people with my Cork coddle.

BTW, drisheen is one of the most foul foodstuffs ever created.

Stick to your stews Corkie!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My mother's coddle was:

Back rashers, sausages, sliced onions, floury potatoes, a few tomatoes cut in half, a handful of pearl barley, a chicken stock cube and a pinch of mixed herbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My mother's coddle was:

Back rashers, sausages, sliced onions, floury potatoes, a few tomatoes cut in half, a handful of pearl barley, a chicken stock cube and a pinch of mixed herbs.

Ooh.
    I reckon there might be pearl barley in my Cork coddle, too.
    I'm thinking it's basically an Irish stew with rashers and sausages instead of lamb/mutton.

Stick to your stews Corkie!!

Coddle is a stew!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Coddle is a stew!

Blasphemy!!!

Coddle is NOT a stew!

....... wrote: »
    Blasphemy!!!

Coddle is NOT a stew!

Meat and vegetables cooked in liquid in a pot on the hob. That's stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

So much to say about this...some factual, and some folklore.

But to shoot down one misconception, coddle is NOT "leftovers" unless there's nothing else in the house: in which case, a thrifty mother might chuck in whatever she's got, including even carrots (which are cheap) but that isn't the purist's coddle.

The real thing is a model of minimalism, an economical symphony of local flavours, cooked on the one fireplace in your simple rented room, in your one pot.
    Traditional Saturday supper in Dublin.
    See the pared-down purist's recipe, here:
    http://thetastebudtest.blogspot.com/2011/01/coddle.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Coddle is a stew!

This is why Dublin is the capital :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I never thought about it before, but I suppose the name comes from the same origin as the old-english word 'caudle'?

• Advertisement

This is why Dublin is the capital :rolleyes: ;)

Dublin is the capital because people there think that their regional stew is somehow not a stew?
    That's interesting.

For other uses, see Stew (disambiguation).

A stew is a combination of solid foodingredients that have been cooked in liquidand served in the resultant gravy. Ingredients in a stew can include any combination of vegetables (such as carrots, potatoes, onions, beans, peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes) and may include meat, especially tougher meats suitable for slow-cooking, such as beef. Poultry, sausages, and seafood are also used. While water can be used as the stew-cooking liquid, stock is also common. Seasoning and flavourings may also be added. Stews are typically cooked at a relatively low temperature (simmered, not boiled), allowing flavours to mingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I can see this thread going the chicken road shortly - downhill. :eek:

People are quite passionate about their coddle it seems. My question is, if it’s not a stew, what is it?

Please keep it sweet people, please!

The Gloomster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

In cooking "To coddle" means to simmer very very gently, below boiling point.
    You can make a "coddled egg" for instance (though I don't recommend)

This is a critical point for a Dublin Coddle, since the ingredients should tenderise, and blend their flavours, without disintegrating into slush, or becoming a weak swimmy liquid.
    Finished consistency and balance of flavours are extremely important with this simple dish, which otherwise can quickly become what Elizabeth David tellingly described as "a dustbin of leftovers".

Simple traditional "poor-people's" cooking actually need more care and attention to detail than classic cuisine, not less.
    Try it and see!

EtymologyEdit

The name comes from the verb coddle, meaning to cook food in water below boiling (see coddled egg), which in turn derives from caudle, which comes from the French term meaning ‘to boil gently, parboil or stew’.[2]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Dublin is the capital because people there think that their regional stew is somehow not a stew?
    That's interesting.

For other uses, see Stew (disambiguation).

A stew is a combination of solid foodingredients that have been cooked in liquidand served in the resultant gravy. Ingredients in a stew can include any combination of vegetables (such as carrots, potatoes, onions, beans, peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes) and may include meat, especially tougher meats suitable for slow-cooking, such as beef. Poultry, sausages, and seafood are also used. While water can be used as the stew-cooking liquid, stock is also common. Seasoning and flavourings may also be added. Stews are typically cooked at a relatively low temperature (simmered, not boiled), allowing flavours to mingle.

It was just a light hearted comment, no seriousness meant by it at all. Apologies for the offence taken.

I would call it a soup type dish rather than a stew. At the end of the day, I couldn't really care whether it's called a stew or not, as long as tomatoes are left out of it :D

Honestly, no offense taken.
    I'm having a laugh here, too.
    Just find it genuinely funny that people are inststing that it isn't a stew.

I guess many people have a very singular idea of what stew is.

Its definitely not a stew, its more of a thin broth.

I made it over the weekend, it was delicious. Tasted like childhood.

Its definitely not a stew, its more of a thin broth.

I made it over the weekend, it was delicious. Tasted like childhood.

Of course it isn't.

Of course it isn't.

If you want to call your coddle a stew then go for it.

Ill call mine a coddle.

If you want to call your coddle a stew then go for it.

Ill call mine a coddle.

LOL
    I meant to say
    "Of Course it is" !
    its more of a thin broth.
    Yes, just like Irish Stew (but alas, half the country doesn't know what Irish stew is, either, but that's a whole other argument)

Anyway this is getting boring.
    Seems people are very expert on coddle but don't really know what a stew is, by definition.

I'll report back when I finally get around to making my Cork coddle.

• Advertisement

Seems people are very expert on coddle but don't really know what a stew is, by definition.

More like people dont care what a stew is, when we're talking about coddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Ah, now I'm going to have to make a pot of coddle for the weekend :)

Not sure if anyone here has used them but there's packs of bacon cuts you can get in Lidl... I ruined a grand pot of coddle a couple of years ago when I used them.

Really salty and a weird metallic taste off them, it's a shame though as most of the stuff from Lidl is very good quality so it was a surprise.

Has anyone here tried making coddle in the slow cooker / crock pot? I bought one a while back but not tested coddle in it yet.

What are people's thoughts on smoked or unsmoked bacon?

Has anyone here tried making coddle in the slow cooker / crock pot? I bought one a while back but not tested coddle in it yet.

Must try that myself.

Heres the recipe I used at the weekend (and it was yummy):

1lb sausage
    1lb ham chunks and some streaky rashers
    1 large onion - chopped
    3 large maris piper spuds - cubed
    3 large carrots - chopped
    a couple of handfuls of "soup mix" - its mix of pearl barley, lentils etc..
    Fresh parsley - chopped
    Fresh Thyme - leaves only
    A shake of "mixed herbs"
    A generous few shakes of white pepper.

Method:
    Cover the meat with water, bring to boil, simmer low for 1 hour.
    Allow to cool - skim the fat

Add everything else
    Bring to boil, simmer low for 1 hour.

In retrospect I could have done with a bit more spud and a bit less water.

We used to have parsnip in ours as kids I think - might add that next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Superquinn sausages are wildly over rated.

Better by far are the Tesco own brand sausages - thick, juicy sausages, 6 per pack. You'll often get them 2 pks for 4 Euro. Also, Denny Gold Medal are the gold standard in sausage.

My coddle would have

Pk of thick juicy sausages from Tesco.
    spuds - i prefer waxy ones, that don't break up too much, cut into quarters.
    Left over bacon from a previous dinner, cubed, with fat trimmed back to a minimum. Rashers don't have enough bite.
    Onion, diced
    Carrot, diced
    fry these in butter.

Add in stock when the frying is done, with Pearl Barley. A ton of freshly cracked black pepper. No need for salt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

^^ Nice recipes there, but you both forgot the tomatoes :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Banned.

tHB

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

Finally someone who agrees!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The recipe in Day Lewin's link is very similar to the one i was given by my Nan.

Large onion halved & thinly sliced & layered in the bottom of the pot.
    Large potato thinly sliced (to disintegrate & thicken the liquid) & layered on top of the onion.
    Whole sausages & quartered back rashers (chunks of leftover boiled ham ok too) on top with a couple of sprigs of parsley & thyme.
    More potatoes thickly sliced then layered on top.
    Add water or veg stock almost to same level as potatoes & put on a medium high heat. As it is about to boil reduce heat & simmer for a couple of hours.
    Don't stir.
    Don't add tomatoes.
    Don't add brown sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

magentis wrote: »
    All sounds fairly vile to be honest.And I'm from Cork.Grew up on tripe and drisheen,crubeens,skirts and kidneys.Coddle just sounds awful.

Amy time I've had it................. One spoon was more than enough. Rotten stuff.

Advertisement