Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Relatively speaking, the earth is as round and as smooth as a snooker ball. The biggest difference from lowest crevice to highest mountain is 11 miles. But the planets diameter is 8 thousand miles. We can’t machine such low tolerances.

1dGtgtqM4Q-8.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Relatively speaking, the earth is as round and as smooth as a snooker ball. The biggest difference from lowest crevice to highest mountain is 11 miles. But the planets diameter is 8 thousand miles. We can’t machine such low tolerances.
    Oh but we can

We've made silicon spheres whose surfaces are so smooth that if they were blown up to the size of Earth, the distance between the tallest mountain and deepest ocean would be just 3–5 meters

Devices known as optical interferometers have allowed researchers to measure the sphere’s width to nanometer precision

And why do we need such perfect balls ?

To measure a mole.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

*Insert obligatory joke about there not being any moles in Ireland here*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

You don't need to justify your perfect balls to anyone Capt'n.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Earth isn't a perfect sphere anyway, the equatorial bulge means that the diameter of Earth measured along the equator is 42km longer than then when it is measured from the North to South poles

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Am I missing something? In what sense is there no current when you can see the water flowing over the edge behind them and int he picture with the two guys they are standing in white water. Have I misunderstood the meaning of the word current for 36 years?

I said when the water levels are right there is no current in the pool, the top image shows ideal conditions, the middle one shows significantly higher water levels so yes, there will be a current but again the men are safe as long as they are standing/sitting inside the underwater rock wall that encloses the devils pool

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Oh but we can

We've made silicon spheres whose surfaces are so smooth that if they were blown up to the size of Earth, the distance between the tallest mountain and deepest ocean would be just 3–5 meters

Devices known as optical interferometers have allowed researchers to measure the sphere’s width to nanometer precision

To measure a mole.

One of these? :confused:

european_mole_1.jpg

aid4365-v4-728px-Read-a-Measuring-Tape-Step-3-Version-6.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Earth isn't a perfect sphere anyway, the equatorial bulge means that the diameter of Earth measured along the equator is 42km longer than then when it is measured from the North to South poles

Love handles or a spare tyre?
    gozunda wrote: »
    One of these? :confused:

european_mole_1.jpg

Called it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Kat1170

New Home wrote:
    *Insert obligatory joke about there not being any moles in Ireland here*

There used to be a few oop North ;). ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As anyone who lives here can tell you it's pear shaped.

The Southern Hemisphere is little bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Columbus thought the earth was breast-shaped.
    I found it (the world) was not round . . . but pear shaped, round where it has a nipple, for there it is taller, or as if one had a round ball and, on one side, it should be like a woman’s breast, and this nipple part is the highest and closest to Heaven.

This was from his voyage log. God knows what he saw that made him think that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Tiny San Marino is the oldest sovereign Republic in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

cdeb wrote: »
    Columbus thought the earth was breast-shaped.

This was from his voyage log. God knows what he saw that made him think that

Several months at sea will do that to a man

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Germanic tribes under the rule of their leader Odoacer, brought down the western Roman Empire

As an ally of Austia-Hungary - the German leader Wilhelm II, went down on history as one of the principal protagonists of First World War.

Hitler as Chancellor of the German Reich invaded Poland and instigated the Second World War

As for World War 3 ....
    afluisteren.jpg:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think most of us would have a had a cup of coffee this morning. The coffee 'bean' is not a bean, it's a seed. It's called a bean because it looks like a bean.

Coffee comes from the 'coffee belt', marked here in yello, the green countries are the top 20 producers in the world.

914px-Bean_belt_%28top_20_coffee_producers_2011%29.svg.png

This is the coffee cherry, the bean is on the inside.

You get about 8 cups of coffee from a Kilo of coffee cherries. Here's the breakdown of the steps in getting some coffee from a cherry.

Dk1g0A8W4AAq9QU.jpg

^^^^
    Floaters ?

Kopi Luwak coffee is quite literally civet shít.

^^^^
    Floaters ?

Not as bad as it sounds...
    http://www.coffeeresearch.org/agriculture/processing.htm
    Irrespective of the harvesting method, green coffee beans and overripe coffee cherries inevitably end up mixed with the perfectly ripe cherries and must be separated during coffee processing.

Overripe coffee cherries, undeveloped coffee cherries, sticks and leaves float in water. Ripe coffee beans and green coffee cherries are dense and sink.

Therefore, the first step in coffee production consists of separating the "floaters" from the "sinkers." The coffee floaters are usually sent directly to the patio to be dried and are often slated for internal consumption.

The ripe and green cherries can be sent to the patios to be dried using the natural process of preparing coffee or can be sent to the coffee pulping machines.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Not as bad as it sounds...

Kopi Luwak is as bad as it sounds. Totally pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Germanic tribes under the rule of their leader Odoacer, brought down the western Roman Empire

As an ally of Austia-Hungary - the German leader Wilhelm II, went down on history as one of the principal protagonists of First World War.

Hitler as Chancellor of the German Reich invaded Poland and instigated the Second World War

As for World War 3 ....

The majority of the US population lives in less than 5% of it's counties.

In this map the population in the orange areas is equal to the population in the red ones,

DlTEkulXsAAzb-D.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Reclaim your tax ... Had to explain this to my son recently, so I guess not everyone knows it (if you are below a certain age)...

You work, you pay tax. Your tax is calculated by week/fortnite/month. But your tax allowance is by year. So if you have a part time job, summer job, etc you might not earn enough to fill your yearly allowance. So you can claim back the tax you paid! Great way to get a bonus before going back to college or before Christmas. Google it for details.....enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think there are restrictions on claiming it twice though. ;)

Generally speaking most people are pretty clueless about what you’re actually allowed to claim back, myself included for shame. But that’s all for a different forum methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Speaking of tax, many "accidental Americans" (people who are American citizens because their parents are American or because of their place of birth, and not by personal choice) may be unaware that they are liable to pay tax in the US on income earned abroad. This has been the case for a long time, but it became a serious issue in 2010 after the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) was enacted, which brought about information sharing between countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

BaZmO* wrote:
    I think there are restrictions on claiming it twice though.

lol... Thx Bazmo....that gave me a smile :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ivy, better warn Roan O'Gara and Marty Morrissey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

As for World War 3 ....

Germany you think? Well, let’s look at the facts, shall we? :cool:

In the history of mankind the Brits instigated the most wars. 90% of all countries in the world have been raided by Britons.

No 2 in the list of warmongers are the French, at the same time being the main target of the Brits, meaning the country that suffered the most British invasions.
    The first recorded invasion by Britons was in the 2. century, led by Clodius Albinus who marched into Gaul with a mainly British army (probably some foreign mercenaries among them).

All countries the Brits ever were at war with are seen here (in pink):
    https://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02388/BRITAIN_2388153b.jpg

The countries that didn’t experience a British invasion are:
    Andorra
    Belarus
    Bolivia
    Burundi
    Central African Republic
    Chad
    Congo
    Guatemala
    Ivory Coast
    Kyrgyzstan
    Liechtenstein
    Luxemburg
    Mali
    Marshall Islands
    Monaco
    Mongolia
    Paraguay
    Sao Tome and Principe
    Sweden
    Tajikistan
    Uzbekistan
    Vatican City

Way to go Britain :rolleyes:

Now for the US: In the last 230 years they started 219 wars of aggression. Since end of WWII they started 201 wars. So far.

As for us Germans: We do the stealth thingy - we invaded boards.ie :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I used to work in the field of geographical analysis. When someone would ask me what I did for a living I would tell them, "I make maps!"

Of course I didn’t, but it saved me from having to explain that I worked with statistics, mathematics and lots and lots of programming.

I would get two basic reactions:

1) "Wow! That's so fcuking cool! You are truly a God among men!" (90% men, 10% women).
    2) "What the fcuk! Have they not finished making all the maps yet? Loser!" (100% women).

Anyway here are some interesting maps that have been doing the rounds online. (I suspect everyone here is an Answer 1 person). Some of these are related to recent posts on this thread

Those countries not invaded by England/Great Britain/United Kingdom in white.

interesting-map36.jpg

Geographic correlation, well roughly, between the location of the historic coal mining regions in England/Wales and Labour victories in a recent UK general election.

coal_vs_votes.jpg?1432056801

Where would you end up if you managed to dig a hole right through the Earth? Australia? China?

Well no! The antipode of almost every point on land is water.

enhanced-buzz-8378-1361482985-3.jpg

Turning to what we call “the Antipodes”, here is Australia’s true geographic size relative to Europe.

56r7r757.jpg

Yet only 2% of the Aussie population live in the shaded area below

where-2-percent-of-australia-lives.jpg

I was recently on the top of a skyscraper in Chicago. I couldn’t get over how large Lake Michigan seemed.

It should not have been a surprise as these are the Great Lakes superimposed on Europe.

enhanced-buzz-31994-1361481119-20.jpg

The spread of Walmart stores throughout the United States.
    h11C0F3F0

Countries that use Fahrenheit Vs those that use Celsius.

4lHTvvs.jpg

Occupation of the highest paid public employee in each US state.

interesting-map3.jpg

Location of each car bomb detonated in Baghdad between 2003 and 2015.

26H0G8v.png

This is one I saw today for the first time. It’s not a cartogram, just a promotional poster for an ‘80s horror movie. Really good though.

6231240098_480e93c8b3_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Leo Varadkar looks like Kevin Spacey 10/15 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar looks like Kevin Spacey 10/15 years ago!

If you're blind, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

If you're blind, maybe.

Ya see, you didn't know that!

And you can't even believe it! Do I win the thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement