Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-08-2018, 21:06   #496
JCX BXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
Weather forecast for tomorrow (baring in mind I'm in Waterford so using New Ross as my default)

National

Leinster -

I'll report back and see how accurate it was.
Well.......I don't see why Leinster forecast would be more accurate. Perhaps it should be consulted for your location but it shouldn't be more accurate. I'm in Clare, and while I use Munster I'd consult the Connaught forecast sometimes.
Advertisement
08-08-2018, 18:28   #497
spookwoman

I'd don't know what to believe on their page any more for forecasts.
The top of their page for Waterford City today says showers

You look at hourly one and no rain

Then on the regional its says rain in coastal area's. We are about 15km from the coast so we could fall under that

Then there is the main map for Munster and the nearest weather symbol is Cork. The others are Cahersiveen and Birr Co Offaly which is in Leinster.
The west of munster is covered yet the east is not which is stupid. There is a distance of about 120km between waterford and Cork and we have all seen there is a big difference between the weather in Cork and the weather on the east side of Munster.
(2) thanks from:
08-08-2018, 18:30   #498
Harry Palmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
Weather forecast for tomorrow (baring in mind I'm in Waterford so using New Ross as my default)

National

Leinster -
Quote:
Tomorrow, Monday will be mostly cloudy with some patches of light rain or drizzle. The rain and drizzle will clear from western parts of the province later in the afternoon with brighter and fresher conditions following from the west. Highest temperatures of 18 to 22 degrees in light or moderate, southwest to westerly winds
I'll report back and see how accurate it was.
Not at all! Dry with variable brightness all day
09-08-2018, 08:33   #499
Discodog

I had to change my location to avoid a big blue spot obscuring the rain - why isn't it a circle ?
09-08-2018, 09:02   #500
sumtings

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookwoman View Post
I'd don't know what to believe on their page any more for forecasts.
The top of their page for Waterford City today says showers

You look at hourly one and no rain

Then on the regional its says rain in coastal area's. We are about 15km from the coast so we could fall under that

Then there is the main map for Munster and the nearest weather symbol is Cork. The others are Cahersiveen and Birr Co Offaly which is in Leinster.
The west of munster is covered yet the east is not which is stupid. There is a distance of about 120km between waterford and Cork and we have all seen there is a big difference between the weather in Cork and the weather on the east side of Munster.
Is the top one current conditions? And looking at the netweather radar for 18:45 last night there was some rain about.

The next one is the numerical forecast which is just a pump out of the model data for your location, rain must have had a low probability when the model was generated for that location so didn't show. Probably places near you that, maybe even yours that got no rain and the forecast was very accurate for.

Then the next one is the more generalised forecast with human intervention. Good for broad strokes.

Last edited by sumtings; 09-08-2018 at 09:07.
Advertisement
09-08-2018, 13:40   #501
spookwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumtings View Post
Is the top one current conditions? And looking at the netweather radar for 18:45 last night there was some rain about.

The next one is the numerical forecast which is just a pump out of the model data for your location, rain must have had a low probability when the model was generated for that location so didn't show. Probably places near you that, maybe even yours that got no rain and the forecast was very accurate for.

Then the next one is the more generalised forecast with human intervention. Good for broad strokes.
Top - There was some rain in the morning but after that not a drop and later it changed to partially cloudy when it was clear outside.

This is the national forecaster, farmers, businesses etc all rely on it and it's a joke, especially the regional maps. Shannon and Waterford both have airports so you would think they would be included also Limerick and Waterford are cities which is another reason. We see it nearly every day weather fronts that come from the Atlantic sweep up the west side of the country from Cork/Kerry to Donegal. The lads here laugh about the shield wall around Cork that seems to interfere with the weather fronts moving east.
Then look at the Leinster map which also includes Birr, it does Dublin and Wexford which are about 100km or so apart as the crow flies. Again Dublin has its own little weather system which is affected by the Isle of Man and even Wales so the weather between Dublin and Birr is going to be drastically different. We've often seen squally lines run from Tipperary town to Dundalk. Wexford is another one it's weather is affected by Wales, South England and the Continent. We are a small Island but our weather varies a great deal around the country.

Todays Munster Forecast 09 August 2018 13:00

Today
A mix of sunny spells and scattered showers today with some heavy bursts expected. Light to moderate, west to southwest winds with highest temperatures 15 to 18 degrees.

Tonight
Some scattered showers overnight, but clear spells also, especially in the east. Lowest temperatures 7 to 9 degrees, in mostly light west to southwest breezes.

Now look at todays radar, it's a fine example of weather differences for areas. There are showers along the west heading east and it's like a invisible line running through waterford country, through Kilkenny and up to Mullingar that seem to switch the rain clouds off yet the regional says showers for Munster today.
Thanks from:
09-08-2018, 16:17   #502
Sleety_Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookwoman View Post
Top - There was some rain in the morning but after that not a drop and later it changed to partially cloudy when it was clear outside.

This is the national forecaster, farmers, businesses etc all rely on it and it's a joke, especially the regional maps. Shannon and Waterford both have airports so you would think they would be included also Limerick and Waterford are cities which is another reason. We see it nearly every day weather fronts that come from the Atlantic sweep up the west side of the country from Cork/Kerry to Donegal. The lads here laugh about the shield wall around Cork that seems to interfere with the weather fronts moving east.
Then look at the Leinster map which also includes Birr, it does Dublin and Wexford which are about 100km or so apart as the crow flies. Again Dublin has its own little weather system which is affected by the Isle of Man and even Wales so the weather between Dublin and Birr is going to be drastically different. We've often seen squally lines run from Tipperary town to Dundalk. Wexford is another one it's weather is affected by Wales, South England and the Continent. We are a small Island but our weather varies a great deal around the country.

Todays Munster Forecast 09 August 2018 13:00

Today
A mix of sunny spells and scattered showers today with some heavy bursts expected. Light to moderate, west to southwest winds with highest temperatures 15 to 18 degrees.

Tonight
Some scattered showers overnight, but clear spells also, especially in the east. Lowest temperatures 7 to 9 degrees, in mostly light west to southwest breezes.

Now look at todays radar, it's a fine example of weather differences for areas. There are showers along the west heading east and it's like a invisible line running through waterford country, through Kilkenny and up to Mullingar that seem to switch the rain clouds off yet the regional says showers for Munster today.
Some showers moving through now
15-08-2018, 16:49   #503
spookwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathercheck View Post
Some showers moving through now
Most of the time it's wrong like today last night said on the hourly one 2 hours of rain one at about 4pm and one later. It's been raining for a good part of the day. At this stage I'd be better off reading tea leaves
15-08-2018, 22:58   #504
km79

Current location offshore apparently
Closer to England than Ireland
And I'm in Galway!!!!!!!

How is it still so bad

Last edited by km79; 15-08-2018 at 23:02.
Advertisement
15-08-2018, 23:06   #505
Artane2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by km79 View Post
Current location offshore apparently
Closer to England than Ireland
And I'm in Galway!!!!!!!

How is it still so bad
You must have clicked that location on the rainfall radar. If you do that then it shows that location as your current location.
17-08-2018, 11:32   #506
Tails142

Just came here to say I hate the new website! The forecast maps are too slow to load, sometimes don't load at all or certain squares fail to load, take too long to view and go through hour by hour and when you click between times the image flashes on and off making it hard to track bands of rain moving across the country.

Never had these problems with the old site and now the short range forecast is gone from the old site. Very annoying.
(3) thanks from:
17-08-2018, 13:28   #507
tiegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails142 View Post
Just came here to say I hate the new website! The forecast maps are too slow to load, sometimes don't load at all or certain squares fail to load, take too long to view and go through hour by hour and when you click between times the image flashes on and off making it hard to track bands of rain moving across the country.

Never had these problems with the old site and now the short range forecast is gone from the old site. Very annoying.
Exactly ^^^ what you said. Hate it, and esp the short range forecast now being dropped, so disappointing for a new site
17-08-2018, 15:31   #508
Comhra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiegan View Post
Exactly ^^^ what you said. Hate it, and esp the short range forecast now being dropped, so disappointing for a new site
What really annoys me about the site is that rain radar display.
The graphics are so poorly rendered.

ME have added a sferic display feature which is very difficult to see well because the sferics are shown as faint crosses, barely discernible as they use the same colour (orange) as the unnecessary roadways depicted on the map.

The sferics are almost invisible among the clutter. Hopeless effort.

Last edited by Comhra; 17-08-2018 at 23:50.
Thanks from:
18-08-2018, 12:38   #509
Discodog

The UK Met Office app is much better for rainfall prediction. It allows you to zoom on Ireland & then view a future timeline.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eather.android

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...oday/#?tab=map
(2) thanks from:
21-08-2018, 19:08   #510
Discodog

Rain on the way & Shannon goes down.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text