Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
05-08-2018, 21:06   #496
JCX BXC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
Weather forecast for tomorrow (baring in mind I'm in Waterford so using New Ross as my default)

National

Leinster -

I'll report back and see how accurate it was.
Well.......I don't see why Leinster forecast would be more accurate. Perhaps it should be consulted for your location but it shouldn't be more accurate. I'm in Clare, and while I use Munster I'd consult the Connaught forecast sometimes.
JCX BXC is offline  
Advertisement
08-08-2018, 18:28   #497
spookwoman
Registered User
 
spookwoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lingering in the ether
Posts: 5,247
I'd don't know what to believe on their page any more for forecasts.
The top of their page for Waterford City today says showers


You look at hourly one and no rain


Then on the regional its says rain in coastal area's. We are about 15km from the coast so we could fall under that


Then there is the main map for Munster and the nearest weather symbol is Cork. The others are Cahersiveen and Birr Co Offaly which is in Leinster.
The west of munster is covered yet the east is not which is stupid. There is a distance of about 120km between waterford and Cork and we have all seen there is a big difference between the weather in Cork and the weather on the east side of Munster.
spookwoman is offline  
(2) thanks from:
08-08-2018, 18:30   #498
Harry Palmr
Registered User
 
Harry Palmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Waterford
Posts: 26,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
Weather forecast for tomorrow (baring in mind I'm in Waterford so using New Ross as my default)

National

Leinster -
Quote:
Tomorrow, Monday will be mostly cloudy with some patches of light rain or drizzle. The rain and drizzle will clear from western parts of the province later in the afternoon with brighter and fresher conditions following from the west. Highest temperatures of 18 to 22 degrees in light or moderate, southwest to westerly winds
I'll report back and see how accurate it was.
Not at all! Dry with variable brightness all day
Harry Palmr is offline  
09-08-2018, 08:33   #499
Discodog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Near Galway
Posts: 12,190
I had to change my location to avoid a big blue spot obscuring the rain - why isn't it a circle ?
Discodog is offline  
09-08-2018, 09:02   #500
sumtings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookwoman View Post
I'd don't know what to believe on their page any more for forecasts.
The top of their page for Waterford City today says showers


You look at hourly one and no rain


Then on the regional its says rain in coastal area's. We are about 15km from the coast so we could fall under that


Then there is the main map for Munster and the nearest weather symbol is Cork. The others are Cahersiveen and Birr Co Offaly which is in Leinster.
The west of munster is covered yet the east is not which is stupid. There is a distance of about 120km between waterford and Cork and we have all seen there is a big difference between the weather in Cork and the weather on the east side of Munster.
Is the top one current conditions? And looking at the netweather radar for 18:45 last night there was some rain about.

The next one is the numerical forecast which is just a pump out of the model data for your location, rain must have had a low probability when the model was generated for that location so didn't show. Probably places near you that, maybe even yours that got no rain and the forecast was very accurate for.

Then the next one is the more generalised forecast with human intervention. Good for broad strokes.

Last edited by sumtings; 09-08-2018 at 09:07.
sumtings is offline  
Advertisement
09-08-2018, 13:40   #501
spookwoman
Registered User
 
spookwoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lingering in the ether
Posts: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumtings View Post
Is the top one current conditions? And looking at the netweather radar for 18:45 last night there was some rain about.

The next one is the numerical forecast which is just a pump out of the model data for your location, rain must have had a low probability when the model was generated for that location so didn't show. Probably places near you that, maybe even yours that got no rain and the forecast was very accurate for.

Then the next one is the more generalised forecast with human intervention. Good for broad strokes.
Top - There was some rain in the morning but after that not a drop and later it changed to partially cloudy when it was clear outside.

This is the national forecaster, farmers, businesses etc all rely on it and it's a joke, especially the regional maps. Shannon and Waterford both have airports so you would think they would be included also Limerick and Waterford are cities which is another reason. We see it nearly every day weather fronts that come from the Atlantic sweep up the west side of the country from Cork/Kerry to Donegal. The lads here laugh about the shield wall around Cork that seems to interfere with the weather fronts moving east.
Then look at the Leinster map which also includes Birr, it does Dublin and Wexford which are about 100km or so apart as the crow flies. Again Dublin has its own little weather system which is affected by the Isle of Man and even Wales so the weather between Dublin and Birr is going to be drastically different. We've often seen squally lines run from Tipperary town to Dundalk. Wexford is another one it's weather is affected by Wales, South England and the Continent. We are a small Island but our weather varies a great deal around the country.


Todays Munster Forecast 09 August 2018 13:00

Today
A mix of sunny spells and scattered showers today with some heavy bursts expected. Light to moderate, west to southwest winds with highest temperatures 15 to 18 degrees.

Tonight
Some scattered showers overnight, but clear spells also, especially in the east. Lowest temperatures 7 to 9 degrees, in mostly light west to southwest breezes.


Now look at todays radar, it's a fine example of weather differences for areas. There are showers along the west heading east and it's like a invisible line running through waterford country, through Kilkenny and up to Mullingar that seem to switch the rain clouds off yet the regional says showers for Munster today.
spookwoman is offline  
Thanks from:
09-08-2018, 16:17   #502
Sleety_Rain
Registered User
 
Sleety_Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Changeable
Posts: 10,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookwoman View Post
Top - There was some rain in the morning but after that not a drop and later it changed to partially cloudy when it was clear outside.

This is the national forecaster, farmers, businesses etc all rely on it and it's a joke, especially the regional maps. Shannon and Waterford both have airports so you would think they would be included also Limerick and Waterford are cities which is another reason. We see it nearly every day weather fronts that come from the Atlantic sweep up the west side of the country from Cork/Kerry to Donegal. The lads here laugh about the shield wall around Cork that seems to interfere with the weather fronts moving east.
Then look at the Leinster map which also includes Birr, it does Dublin and Wexford which are about 100km or so apart as the crow flies. Again Dublin has its own little weather system which is affected by the Isle of Man and even Wales so the weather between Dublin and Birr is going to be drastically different. We've often seen squally lines run from Tipperary town to Dundalk. Wexford is another one it's weather is affected by Wales, South England and the Continent. We are a small Island but our weather varies a great deal around the country.


Todays Munster Forecast 09 August 2018 13:00

Today
A mix of sunny spells and scattered showers today with some heavy bursts expected. Light to moderate, west to southwest winds with highest temperatures 15 to 18 degrees.

Tonight
Some scattered showers overnight, but clear spells also, especially in the east. Lowest temperatures 7 to 9 degrees, in mostly light west to southwest breezes.


Now look at todays radar, it's a fine example of weather differences for areas. There are showers along the west heading east and it's like a invisible line running through waterford country, through Kilkenny and up to Mullingar that seem to switch the rain clouds off yet the regional says showers for Munster today.
Some showers moving through now
Sleety_Rain is offline  
15-08-2018, 16:49   #503
spookwoman
Registered User
 
spookwoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lingering in the ether
Posts: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathercheck View Post
Some showers moving through now
Most of the time it's wrong like today last night said on the hourly one 2 hours of rain one at about 4pm and one later. It's been raining for a good part of the day. At this stage I'd be better off reading tea leaves
spookwoman is offline  
15-08-2018, 22:58   #504
km79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: east galway
Posts: 32,448
Current location offshore apparently
Closer to England than Ireland
And I'm in Galway!!!!!!!


How is it still so bad

Last edited by km79; 15-08-2018 at 23:02.
km79 is offline  
Advertisement
15-08-2018, 23:06   #505
Artane2002
Registered User
 
Artane2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dublin 5
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by km79 View Post
Current location offshore apparently
Closer to England than Ireland
And I'm in Galway!!!!!!!


How is it still so bad
You must have clicked that location on the rainfall radar. If you do that then it shows that location as your current location.
Artane2002 is online now  
17-08-2018, 11:32   #506
Tails142
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,666
Just came here to say I hate the new website! The forecast maps are too slow to load, sometimes don't load at all or certain squares fail to load, take too long to view and go through hour by hour and when you click between times the image flashes on and off making it hard to track bands of rain moving across the country.

Never had these problems with the old site and now the short range forecast is gone from the old site. Very annoying.
Tails142 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
17-08-2018, 13:28   #507
tiegan
Registered User
 
tiegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fethard, Co Tipp
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails142 View Post
Just came here to say I hate the new website! The forecast maps are too slow to load, sometimes don't load at all or certain squares fail to load, take too long to view and go through hour by hour and when you click between times the image flashes on and off making it hard to track bands of rain moving across the country.

Never had these problems with the old site and now the short range forecast is gone from the old site. Very annoying.
Exactly ^^^ what you said. Hate it, and esp the short range forecast now being dropped, so disappointing for a new site
tiegan is offline  
17-08-2018, 15:31   #508
Comhra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Limerick
Posts: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiegan View Post
Exactly ^^^ what you said. Hate it, and esp the short range forecast now being dropped, so disappointing for a new site
What really annoys me about the site is that rain radar display.
The graphics are so poorly rendered.

ME have added a sferic display feature which is very difficult to see well because the sferics are shown as faint crosses, barely discernible as they use the same colour (orange) as the unnecessary roadways depicted on the map.

The sferics are almost invisible among the clutter. Hopeless effort.

Last edited by Comhra; 17-08-2018 at 23:50.
Comhra is offline  
Thanks from:
18-08-2018, 12:38   #509
Discodog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Near Galway
Posts: 12,190
The UK Met Office app is much better for rainfall prediction. It allows you to zoom on Ireland & then view a future timeline.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eather.android

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...oday/#?tab=map
Discodog is offline  
(2) thanks from:
21-08-2018, 19:08   #510
Discodog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Near Galway
Posts: 12,190
Rain on the way & Shannon goes down.
Discodog is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet