Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-06-2018, 19:43   #1
Candie

Today, Saudi Women Legally Drive!

I thought this was an event worth noting in the Ladies Lounge.

Today the Saudi police are handing out roses to women drivers, making history just by driving to the shops. Delighted for them, though there's a very, very, long way to go - it's a great step forward.

Saudi men also win today, as today is the first day they get to roll their eyes and tell jokes about women drivers.
Advertisement
24-06-2018, 19:46   #2

Now all Saudi men need to buy 7 cars for their 7 wives.
(2) thanks from:
25-06-2018, 17:59   #3
Paddy Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
I thought this was an event worth noting in the Ladies Lounge.

Today the Saudi police are handing out roses to women drivers, making history just by driving to the shops. Delighted for them, though there's a very, very, long way to go - it's a great step forward.

Saudi men also win today, as today is the first day they get to roll their eyes and tell jokes about women drivers.
I heard on the radio this it's a case of one step forward and two steps back. It's great progress for them but there have been a load of arrests of women's advocates. They still have a looong way to go.
Thanks from:
25-06-2018, 18:01   #4
Fann Linn

'One small step for man.....'
26-06-2018, 22:48   #5
pwurple

Really great news for them.
Advertisement
27-06-2018, 19:31   #6
Candie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Cow View Post
I heard on the radio this it's a case of one step forward and two steps back. It's great progress for them but there have been a load of arrests of women's advocates. They still have a looong way to go.
And there'll definitely be some fallout over this too, I wouldn't be surprised if women drivers weren't targeted on the roads by traditionalists and they amount of accidents will surge - which will then be blamed on the women drivers.

Still though, it is at least a step and I'm pretty sure there are many women in Saudi who are grateful for it such as it is, in a deeply imperfect society with a long, long way to go.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion