Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I studied Debate in college ans an extra-curricular for a few months before I dropped it.

This kind of debate never convinced anyone of anything - it is a formal game of point scoring. "Winning" such debates often just makes you look like a bully to the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

blanch152 wrote: »
    They never were children.

Nothing has changed as a result of the Supreme Court.

You're right that nothing changed as a result of the supreme court judgement.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Prior to the 8th, the only right that the unborn had was the right to life, the 8th gave that right equal status to the right to life of the mother, and repealing the 8th only restores the status quo ante.

prior to the 8th the unborn did not have a constitutional right to life. It only has that because of the 8th. If the 8th is repealed then the unborn will have no constitutional rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

splinter65 wrote: »
    Here’s what an unborn human being and a person in an induced coma have in common.
    Neither are sentient or conscious but both have the capacity to be both sentient and conscious in a matter of weeks or months, if looked after carefully.
    Why is one not deserving of protection?

and what they dont share is that one has been born and the other hasn't. From a rights point of view that makes a massive difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

AnneFrank wrote: »
    It's not pro choice, it's pro abortion.
    AnneFrank wrote: »
    pro abortion posters you mean.
    and no i don't play with toys or have a pram, but i guess the yes side wouldn't want either of those as they wouldn't need them.

Mod: AnneFrank, you're adding nothing to the debate at this stage and are only looking to cause arguments. Any more petty potshots like the above and you're gone from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

One of the issues you will have is explaining how 38% of abortions in the UK last year were a second, third or further abortion for the patient.
    That’s a lot of couples finding themselves in difficult circumstances outside of their control over and over again.

Except that has been "explained", and it is not statistically the issue you are making it out to be at all. Rather it is a distortion of the figures, mostly fueled by a single article in the Daily Mail some time ago.

The statistics in question certainly do not support anything even remotely approaching an "over and over again" narrative at all.

All that said however, there is a big "So what" hanging over your nonsense too. Since you have not just slightly but ENTIRELY failed to present an argument as to why the termination of a 10 week old fetus is morally or ethically problematic......... then why does it even matter whether 2 abortions happen in 2 different women, or the same women over her 30-40 year period of fertility?
    Will you accept that some of the 38% are recklessly and irresponsibly becoming pregnant on multiple occasions and availing of abortion as a means of contraception or are you absolutely insisting that this just doesn’t happen?

It depends if you mean literally "doesn't happen" or statistically. Statistically what you are describe essentially does not happen. The quantity of people having 2 or more abortions is already tiny. Those having 3 or more ever even more so. And it drops off in a large non-linear fashion consistently in this fashion.
    It’s a great big missing piece of a puzzle for people in an induced coma too. Can we kill them too?

Well no because people in a coma do not lack the faculty of awareness, sentience and consciousness. It is just not operating in that moment. You do not have, for example, more rights when you are asleep than when you are awake.

The difference between a fetus and a human child, adult or a coma patient is that the first one does not have that faculty AT ALL. The others do.

You are equivocating over the operational status of the faculty which just talks past the people who are equivocating over it's very presence at all. And unless your goal IS to talk past everyone, I recommend repairing that error as your next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I agree. But we are being asked to make this great leap forward. Past a society that places abortion as an option of last resort to of first resort. Wheres the support. Wheres the free contrceptives. Wheres tackling dads who flee the scene. Wheres se education. Wheres adoption.

Who is putting it in "first resort" though? I certainly am not. Nor is anyone else I have met over this entire campaign. Everyone I know wants it to be a choice that is available. Nothing more. Nothing less. Its relative place in the queue of choices seems to be your narrative. Not theirs.

As for the other things you list, where are they indeed. Every pro choice campaigner I have met supports or even campaigns for all those things too.

An interesting question though is why historically are the people against abortion ALSO against some or all the things you have listed however? Take the catholic church for example. What is their position on abortion historically? and what historically has their position been on things like contraceptive?

Why is it people resist better, more comprehensive, and most importantly much EARLIER sexual education in our schools? I campaign for that. Why is it the only people I have had tell me it is a bad idea ALSO the people who are against abortion? Whereas all the pro choice people I know are FOR such education.

You talk about "support" for example. Who here is not for support and welfare? Well actually it was an ANTI abortion speaker..... again..... on this very thread who was against it. Telling us there should be no social welfare, and no financial support for single parents. So yes, ask those anti choice voters where the support is. The rest of us want to offer it.

We should be very skeptical of people who are against abortion but also against the things that would work to reduce it. But of course you are anti skepticism so I guess leave that work to us who are not.

So yes, where are these things indeed! Campaigning for pro choice is not mutually exclusive with the others. I campaign for them all. Hard.
    This is fundamentally a conscience issue. It centres on whether life in the womb is fully human - though different to a walking talking person.

And is it not amazing that the people who seemingly do not want to have that exact conversation, are the anti choice speakers? The Pro choice ones have been TRYING To have that conversation. The anti choicers just run away.

I am in entire agreement with you. The core, if not the entire, issue around abortion should be about whether the fetus in the womb is a "Human". Not "Human" in the sense of biological taxonomy.... but in terms of the philosophy of what it actually means to be human.

And you know why I suspect they do not want to have that conversation? Because they know the result of it already. They know what attributes people use to define that version of the word "Human". And they know as well as I do that the attributes in question are PERCISLEY the ones a 10/12/16 week old fetus lacks.

Not partially lacks.

ENTIRELY lacks.

The issue for me is a linguistic one even before we have the debate at the level of philosophy. In that we have one word "Human" and it means more than one thing. But the anti choice people I have spoken with on this thread seem to conflate them all into one.
    By fully human I mean fully human. Not fully human with equivocation. Your equivocating: which was my point.

But nuance behind what we mean by the word "Human" in any given context is exactly what is required. People are hiding behind the word because they know it has enough meanings and flexibility that it forms a huge linguistic shield.

There is a reason they are more interested in the word than to dig beneath it for nuance and content. And that is because they know the nuance and content will not support their position. I know it supports mine. So I am happy to have that conversation.
    Your effectively saying the fetus isnt fully human enough. Which is grand - not fully human.

Again it depends what you mean by "Human". If you are talking about biological taxonomy then it is human. Fully, 100% human.

If you are talking about "Human" as in Humanity, Personhood, and all the other philosophical terminology related to "Human"..... then a fetus at 10 weeks (when the majority of choice based abortion occurs) it is not human at all, 0%.

So terminology is important, yet you appear to think noticing that is merely "equivocation". Which is just deflection. Hide the actually important stuff behind a word, then stand in front of that word like a shield. That is what the anti choice approach has been on the thread.
    I dont think its to be measured objectively. Youd need God or something. And he doesnt tend to publish scientific papers.

Yea I imagine not existing really plays havoc with meeting the deadlines the average publishing house tends to try and hold to.
    Dya ever see those 'scientific' studies measuring the power of prayer? A bunch of christians set to praying for healing of the sick or something.

It presupposes God (if he's there) wants to be measured.

The study in question was quite scientific in it's approach in fact as it double blinded well. In that it did not just have a group of sick people who were prayed for, and a group that were not. That would have been good, but not good enough.

What they also added was a distinction between more than 2 groups. And the distinction was that some of the people knew where they were being prayed for or not, while the other groups did not.

And the results were interesting. The prayer not only showed no efficacy at all.......... but in fact the people who knew (or believed themselves to be, even when they were not) prayed for fared actively worse.

And this shows how science informs morality for example, even though people say it does not. We have positive scientific data that suggests that telling a sick person you will pray for them could actively cause them harm. How many busy body theists do you think therefore desist from doing so? I don't know, but I do know I still see many of them doing it.

The gulf between science and morality is not as large as many like to pretend. Morality is about evaluating the value of the result of your actions. Science is about telling us what the result of our actions is. They are therefore inextricably linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

The No Side came armed with a strategy last night and due to the inability of the RTE Production team and Claire to facilitate the debate fairly they succeeded in their goal.

The first round of applause came from a nothing statement from Steen, that got the ball rolling, they wanted a Panto. They needed every question to end with a rousing statement to drown out rebuttals so that got the ball rolling.

Their first aim was to attack Dr. Boylan in the early to&fro and the first 2 audience plants. They then proceeded to interrupt and talk over him knowing he's too soft spoken to get down to their level and brawl. Brid Smith went down to their level and they turned it and played the victim and had the audience around her show shock and disgust.

They laid traps for the other YES doctor, the Fine Gael TDs with well rehearsed sound-bite statements. The frustrating thing was how Claire let the No Side side-step questions posed them to so they could return to stript, they used phrases like "leaving that aside", "but on another important point", "moving from that to this point", Claire needed to interject here and insist they address the question.

Finally by the end of the show, the No Side threw a few hail Marys with the lady in orange, "back to school" sound bites.

Mary Lou was the YES side's only effective speaker.

The final YES girl in the black repeal jumper made a valid point regarding trusting women but the YES side of the audience were done with this futile exercise. Then the woman next to her allowed to speak before and after her while not addresses her statement followed by two rounds of clapping.

It was a horrible hour of TV, the YES side felt very unprepared for this approach. This was how the No Side won in '83 but from listening to a few radio shows its seem the level of aggression and visibility of the tactics have put some people off.

As a YES voter I don't really want to see the YES stoop the NO side level of aggressive debating but I wonder if that is what's needed to win over the undecided as RTE are clearly incapable of managing this fairly.

Mod: Approx 80% of all of boards' reported posts over the last 24 hours have come from this thread alone. Thread needs a review. It will be closed for at least a few hours to sort the mess out.

Personally, I'd love nothing more than to nuke the entire thread from orbit. But considering the referendum is 10 days away, that would be ludicrous. While the thread is closed, I kindly ask that all who are involved in the heated elements of discussion to just step away and take a breather.

• Advertisement

Mod: Thread reopened.

Yesterday was a bad day. There were simply too many reports flying in for a team of volunteers to handle in their spare time. Therefore, I just removed all posts from yesterday afternoon until the thread closure. If you made a well, thought-out post, then I apologise for the post loss. If you were acting the muppet and insulting all around you then congrats, you've gotten away with it. Either way, yesterday afternoon is best forgotten about.

Going forward, there have to be more ground rules:
    1) There are far more pro-choice than pro-life posters. Everybody on the majority side needs to understand that those in the minority could have 20+ people expecting a reply to them. There is no sitewide or AH rule that specifies that people must reply to every post directed at them so don't go around badgering people. On the other hand, this doesn't give anybody the right to soapbox either.
    2) No more subtle and petty sniping at other posters. We have tried to give some leeway here to let discussion flow, but it can get out of hand pretty fast. Trying to find out "who started it" is nigh on impossible in fast moving threads. Therefore, there will be zero tolerance to this moving forward.
    3) Relating to 2) above - do try to avoid antagonizing swaths of posters with sweeping, generalised statements. They rarely add anything to discussion.

Lastly, try to be civil. It's like trying to herd cats when I say it, but I mean it. Don't go out of your way to one-up another poster. Don't go out of your way to get the last word. Make your point, and move on. At the end of the day, we are volunteers here and the last thing we want to do is slap grown adults on the wrists for childish nonsense.

This is an emotive issue and almost everybody in these threads holds their opinion close to their hearts, so people will naturally get riled up. If you think you might be posting something that will get you banned, then rewrite it and tone it down, or walk away from your computer/phone/whatever and come back a few minutes later.

In other news, polling card arrived this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

And another thing .................

only joking

My poling card has also arrived. I'm glad you deleted the posts, I was losing the will to live to try and catch up with who was saying what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Maria Steen was on Pat Kenny this morning. So to speak.

Worth listening back to, it's in the first hour of the show. I thought he dealt with her well, but I would think that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm seeing a HUGE influx of pro-life sponsored posts on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I'm seeing a HUGE influx of pro-life sponsored posts on social media.

Remember: Do not react, do not comment, and absolutely do not share them. On Facebook, click the icon on the top-right and hide it from your newsfeed.

This tells the algorithm that you, your friends, and people like you don't want to see them and it will show them less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

If it's applicable, report the ad as offensive or misleading too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/my-circumstances-were-the-same-as-savita-halappanavar-1.3492038

In January 2014, my husband and I sat waiting in the departure lounge to board our flight to Liverpool at 7am. I was extremely unwell; I had pains going down the entire left side of my body and across my stomach.

I was almost 20 weeks pregnant, my waters (amniotic fluid) were broken for seven weeks and had changed from running clear to pink in the last few days. I was getting symptoms of septicaemia. I had been refused care by my hospital because my baby still had a heartbeat, even though it had no chance of survival.

My circumstances were the same as a young woman who had died called Savita Halappanavar, and a new law, the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act 2013, had been in force for nine days.

Interesting article from the Irish times about a woman who had to travel to the UK for treatment because she couldn't get it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Dressing gown

Do we as a nation respect the laws of this land or not? If we do, we should be campaigning for their enforcement. That includes the 8th amendment. That means prosecuting all of those women that are and continue to take abortion pills in Ireland. If you vote no you are voting for that to happen. For the law not to be enforced makes a mockery of the law. If you don’t think it’s right for women to be sentenced to 14 years for taking abortion pills you should vote yes. This referendum is a legal question. The abortion debate comes after and we can battle that out with our government.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

The 8th amendment was never meant to create situations where women whose lives were in danger would be denied an equal right to life. This seems to be something that is being left open to interpretation and needs to be fully clarified and understood by doctors and maternity hospitals across the country.

However, allowing abortion for all pregnancies up to 12 weeks is not, in my view, the answer, as it will lead to the aborting of healthy foetuses being carried by healthy mothers.

Spoke to a guy in his early 40s yesterday, he told me he's voting No because he knows that girls are using abortion as an excuse to go for a weekend away in England. His teenage son then says "if you make it legal they'll all be doing it". How do you even attempt to get through to people like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I received the Together for Yes leaflet with my post this morning. Really well put together, facts and real life examples of how the 8th affects women and their families in wide ranging circumstances.

Last night I bought a t-shirt, a badge for my backpack and a sticker for my husband's van from Together for Yes (the Repeal jumpers are all sold out) and they shipped today so I'm hoping to have them before the weekend.

If you are still undecided, have a read of In her shoes.

2 women every week are forced to travel to the UK after receiving the news that their baby has a FFA, that's 2 pregnant women being turned away by our medical system and exported to the UK when they should be afforded all care and compassion by our medical system.

Every day 3 women take abortion pills in their bedroom or bathroom and, although these pills are safe, if they develop an unexpected complication, who do they turn to? Agonising over this decision could cost them precious life saving time.

Right now, there is no equality, a pregnant woman's life is not equal to that of her foetus, her foetus takes priority.

If a woman wants an abortion, she no longer wants to be pregnant so adoption isn't an option because that would mean continuing with the pregnancy when she no longer wants to be pregnant. Also, adoption exists in Ireland in an extremely limited capacity and presents its own issues for the adopted child.

Contraception is not 100% effective. Contraception does not become 100% effective if you double up, condoms + the pill do not add up to 100%. If contraception failed, it's not because someone was too stupid to use it properly, it failed because it's not 100% effective.

If you vote no, the 8th as it stands will not change at all, which means that victims of rape, victims of incest, women whose babies have a FFA, women who are ill and cannot continue with a pregnancy, women who are in abusive relationships, women who cannot financially or emotionally support themselves or a baby, women who are trying to build their lives through education or employment, are all forced to travel outside of Ireland to access abortion.

Bear in mind that the 8th also means that if I am pregnant and become ill with cancer, for example, I cannot undergo life saving treatment as long as my baby is alive so I am faced with the choice of travelling outside of Ireland for an abortion or continuing with my pregnancy and waiting until after I have given birth to get treatment and hope that the disease hasn't progressed so much that I die before my baby has a chance to know me.

Repeal the 8th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

RobertKK wrote: »
    Still stands as it is is gaining No voters.

So 1,000 out of over 20,000, so 5%.

Did you mix up GP's and GPS just like David Quinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,293 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Spoke to a guy in his early 40s yesterday, he told me he's voting No because he knows that girls are using abortion as an excuse to go for a weekend away in England. His teenage son then says "if you make it legal they'll all be doing it". How do you even attempt to get through to people like this?
    Yikes where do you start :mad:

A swift kick up the a#se?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

The 8th amendment was never meant to create situations where women whose lives were in danger would be denied an equal right to life.

But it has created that situation many times so it is not fit for purpose and needs to be repealed.

You accept that that 8th is not working but your wish is for it to remain unchanged and therefore nothing changes:confused:
    ....... wrote: »
    I actually find the In Her Shoes stories too harrowing to read anymore.

I completely agree but I like to read the stories and feel that I am supporting each woman and their family by grieving with them.

How can anyone have such a disgusting view of women?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I was told very frankly by someone recently that should the 8th be repealed, women will abort full term babies, for reasons such as the baby being too fat or the baby's head being a bit big, because they won't want to stretch their lady bits during the labour process birthing these babies.
    You heard it here first, folks.

I will concede that these views aren't representative of most of the No campaigners but it was a baffling reason for someone to have decided against repeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The 8th amendment was never meant to create situations where women whose lives were in danger would be denied an equal right to life. This seems to be something that is being left open to interpretation and needs to be fully clarified and understood by doctors and maternity hospitals across the country.
    Well this is the crux of the matter. There are lots of things the 8th was "never meant to do", but now it's doing them. We can't keep hacking away at the constitution to try and repair an amendment that was broken in the first place. Remove it, and put its intent into legislation. That way, if the intent goes off track, it can be corrected easily.

The 8th cannot be clarified by doctors and maternity hospitals. They are not legislators.

They can only do what they are legally permitted to do, and the uncertainty around the 8th means that they are not permitted to do what is necessary to treat pregnant women.

At present, "healthy" foetuses from "healthy" mothers are already being aborted. That ship has sailed. Literally.

There is no option to stop abortion, only to bring it back under Irish jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Well the best way to fully clarify anything is to put it in a long and exhaustive piece of legislation which explains all the in-and-outs of who can do what legally.
    The worst way, indeed the most impossible way to do it is in a tweet sized clause in the constitution.

You may not realise or accept it, but you are actually a Yes voter who just has huge problems with the currently proposed legislation.
    As I suggest to all such people, Vote Yes and then fight like hell over the proposed legislation, and if you don't like what this government does then make your vote in the next election conditional on parties changing the legislation to something palatable to you.

But please help get rid of the 8th - it's the worst solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Dressing gown

However, allowing abortion for all pregnancies up to 12 weeks is not, in my view, the answer, as it will lead to the aborting of healthy foetuses being carried by healthy mothers.

The fact is interpretation of an ambiguous law comes from case law;for case law to exist there needs to be a case, and for a case to happen things need to go wrong and doctors need to get sued. Doctors do not want to be sued, so they won’t risk making what can be construed as a mistake on this, which is why the life of the foetus will always trump the mother while this amendment is in place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement