Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

Food for thought alright! I had a quick look at DIY jobs...some remove the calipers altogether which would be a much better and cleaner job. Not something I'd like to tackle though. I reckon spraying with them in place would be a disaster (in my case anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Wailin wrote: »
    Food for thought alright! I had a quick look at DIY jobs...some remove the calipers altogether which would be a much better and cleaner job. Not something I'd like to tackle though. I reckon spraying with them in place would be a disaster (in my case anyway).

You'd never spray them in place. If leaving them in place Painting them with a brush is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ross94

Lol Liberty changing terms/conditions on new policies, Any use of 3rd party extension the other car now needs an existing policy in place already.

An abundance of E36 and Is200 for sale shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Halfords petrol resistant lacquer is next to useless. If the op wants a long lasting job they would be better off getting a proper 2k paint with hardner and painting it on. It will offer much better protection against stone damage and rust compared to hammerite and halfords petrol resistant(it isn't) lacquer.

I used it so that it wouldn't break down from having wheel cleaner sprayed on it every week and it didn't even after 1.5 years. Never tried petrol on it though!

2k paint and hardener would actually be a better option. I sprayed mine in place and didn't want brush strokes. Not issues doing it as long as proper masking is done and any overspray on the discs comes off easily and quickly with use of the brakes.
    Wailin wrote: »
    Think I'll give it a go! What's the best paint for the job? Im thinking red because the car is dark grey which goes well with red.

As I mentioned, Hammerite but if you can get 2k paint and hardener as JohnBoy mentioned, go for that instead. On yours I would go red, the blue wouldn't go too well from what I've seen in pictures.

As JBJ mentioned, MX Valeting do a lot of caliper painting and he's very good. I'm following him on FB and he has a brake paint job posted every few weeks and the results look great. Might be a better idea since you haven't done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'd agree about brush strokes but I done it the hard way by taking them off and cleaning them properly(took me ages to get all the brake dust off)and spraying them with aerosols(not 2k) it looked great but it wasn't a long lasting job.

With another car I left them in place and used a brush and 2k marine paint which tbh went on well with a brush but obviously not as good as spraying. This was a much better job in terms of longevity and you'd have to look really close to see they were painted. With the wheels on it became even less obvious.

I understand though if you are particular(I admit I am too) then a sprayed finish will always look better especially for someone into detailing.

If someone hasn't got time though or can't take them off and just wants a nice improvement then painting them with a brush is a good option imo. If they are cleaned relatively well and the proper paint is used the finish will last a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Was going to clean the car this morning but now its raining also doing about 450km in it this evening into tonight so the inch of flies of the front of it after makes the effort seem not worth it. One bad thing about summer you get up with a car that has both sides and rear clean and then the front just covered in flies particularly if you even attempt to drive in darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi, not sure this is worthy of a new thread so posting here.

There is an Ask Me Anything topic in other parts of Boards, this one is a car salesman:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057838076

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/312594/sheriff-granted-order-tosell-car-seized-duringcab-operation-in-limerick.html
    A man who owes almost €800k to the tax man is to have a high-powered car that was seized by CAB forfeited to the State and sold off.

At Newcastle West Court, Revenue Sheriff Plunkett Hayes sought an order allowing him to sell the white Volkswagen Passat which belongs to Richard O’Brien of Monks Hill, Rathkeale, who has outstanding tax liabilities of €789.291.

:pac:

Could be a 240bhp bi turbo 4 motion one but unlikely and even at that 240 is hardly a mad high powered car. Most likely a 150bhp 2.0tdi.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’d want to be seriously brave buying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That newspaper would not have a very credible record, in fact there is an entire thread about that newspaper's crap stories over in the Limerick forum. Worth reading for a good laugh if you have some time to spare.

As for your man in the article, given the location and the model of car mentioned, I'd say it's just his culture and leave it at that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

CIP4 wrote: »
    Was going to clean the car this morning but now its raining also doing about 450km in it this evening into tonight so the inch of flies of the front of it after makes the effort seem not worth it. One bad thing about summer you get up with a car that has both sides and rear clean and then the front just covered in flies particularly if you even attempt to drive in darkness.

Did anyone notice that there's less and less flies and bugs around these days. Before there'd be layers of them on the car after a drive but now not so much.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You’d want to be seriously brave buying that.

If the guy owes 800k in tax I’d say depreciation on a Passat would be well down his list of financial worries :pac:

I mean whoever buys the car now would need to be brave!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I mean whoever buys the car now would need to be brave!

The weather has picked up here so brought the car for a wash. I cleaned the inside then first time I actually hoovered it since getting it and it wasn’t that bad anyway. Daytona grey is a lovely colour when it’s clean and the sun is shining on it :)

Was reading the service manual for the car says timing belt is only due every 210k km with no age limit seems mad when rubber perishes with age. Intervals for everything in general I thought are high air filter 60k km and spark plugs 90k km most stuff has age limit as well. Pollen is 60k km or 2 years which is normal enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

Did anyone notice that there's less and less flies and bugs around these days. Before there'd be layers of them on the car after a drive but now not so much.

Wait until late summer for the real bloodfest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ross94 wrote: »
    Lol Liberty changing terms/conditions on new policies, Any use of 3rd party extension the other car now needs an existing policy in place already.

An abundance of E36 and Is200 for sale shortly.

It had to have been abused to the extreme for them to change their position. It was like that for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mycroft H wrote: »
    It had to have been abused to the extreme for them to change their position. It was like that for years.

Well a young lad who works with me drives is200 altezza version. :pac: And the only reason he stayed with liberty, because of thirs party extension. You dont need to look for examples far to see why they scraping it.
    Its a good option for mature drivers, but as always, there will be those who will abuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

There's science behind this. Insect populations have plummetted due to pesticides and ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Fcuk all pheasants! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

450652.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

joujoujou wrote: »
    Fcuk all pheasants! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

That's fowl.

No, but seriously that's a sh1tty thing to find.

Unregistered Users

I don't really mind mirror, even though it'd cost me at least 30 notes + labour. But door got hit by mirror, so it now bears very visible mirror-shaped stamp on it. Dent and scratch. facepalm.gif

Electric folding mirror retrofit opportunity?

Unregistered Users

Electric folding mirror retrofit opportunity?
    I did my homework much earlier regarding that, even bought a set of aftermarket mirrors and some electronic bits (well, for retrofitting power fold mirrors in prius, not corolla though). But, seriously, at some stage, I lost all my enthusiasm into it and the whole lot landed in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

So the e30 moved onto it's new owner at the weekend. I wasn't driving it much over the last few months and felt I had got a lot out of the experience already and it was time to move it on. Not sure what to go for next, looking at everything from Clio sports to 7 series but sure looking is part of the craic. The sensible option would be a diesel saloon.

Here's how the e30 looked before she headed off :)
    IMG_20180511_185026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I hope you won't be sorry to let it go. What kind of customer took it do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Bad buzz dude. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That's a sad day for the parish. You were well invested into it in every sense of the phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Ah the parish will get over it :)

No point in just having one car for years and years. Something different next to keep me interested again. I found once I had the car as I wanted it, I soon became bored of it as there was no more tinkering to be done. I do think an e30 with an s54 is still something I could look at down the road but I didn't think that particular car of mine was a suitable candidate as the motor in it was going great. Hopefully I'll get something interesting over the next few months again to fill that space.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement