Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

09-05-2018, 19:36   #5236
jobbridge4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post

OK, you've apparently focused on a sort of trigger word and missed the larger context. It's not that sexual harassment isn't an important issue to address, it's that it is being addressed in a counter-productive way. We can either address it by holding commanders responsible for the climate on sexual assault in their unit, and by creating a culture of professionalism, or we can address it by mandating that every three months, soldiers sit through the same hour-long lecture. Which of these two is better suited?

And every three months we had (Requirement changed to every two years about two months ago) to sit through the same hour-long lecture on suicide awareness. Equal Opportunity. We have to find room for every good idea from Anti-Terrorism Level 1 training through the Army Accident Avoidance Course to Trafficking in Persons training. As mentioned, the Regular Army are mandated to train 20 months' worth of man-hours every year. I'm a reservist, we only get 20 hours a month, on average, to train. Every quarter, we lose (Well, lost, as of this quarter they reduced the rules) half a day teaching the same stuff which has already been taught. Indeed, Decembers we don't even train, we just sit through our mandatory annual briefs in an auditorium (or aircraft hangar) so we can get the checkboxes checked.

The pilot quoted in one of the articles about there being more paperwork to go on leave than engage in combat wasn't joking. When I was in Ft Knox, we would be given passes on weekends. Most of us drove places. We had to use the Travel Risk Planning System. (TRiPS). Here, you don't need to be logged in to use it, go look at it. https://trips.safety.army.mil/ (Select "army").

As you can see, it's an eight-page form. Now, when I was a humble civilian in UCD, I did not need to fill out risk assessments with contingency planning in order to drive to see my girlfriend in Galway. And God help you if you have a motorcycle. As, at the time, a commander of a combat unit with 100 soldiers, it's downright insulting. (Fortunately, it has also been cancelled as of two weeks ago) .The idiocy of having to wear reflective belts on top of clothing already designed to be reflective (or better yet, wearing them in combat zones) has become a cultural reference point equal to the Huey of Vietnam or the Iwo Jima flag raising of WW2.

Somehow the solution to every issue in the military has become bureaucracy as opposed to common sense. Instead of empowering leaders to fix identified problems, and putting some trust in soldiers, we are more and more micromanaged to address the topic-du-jour, in an organisation which by its very function is supposed to be as un-micromanaged as possible in order to be effective. If we don't empower soldiers to make their own decisions in peacetime, how are we expecting them to do so in combat?

This is now, thankfully, being addressed. We're not saying that race relations, sexual harassment, transgender acceptance, whatever, in the army isn't important, but we are much happier simply reaffirming "Respect the rank, respect the uniform, be a f***ng professional. Now let's go into the field" instead of having repetitive briefs on each individual subject for hours. Being harassment free and reserving sufficient time to train for combat are not mutually exclusive propositions. We are seeing in this last year a focus back on warfighting instead of administration, and we're happy for it.
Cheers for the little 'trigger' dig Manic, but no as much as you might like to write me off as some SJW, I get and accept that a military force exists for the purpose of killing. Rather than for some alleged PC motivation, I focused on the sexual violence aspect because it is was the sole training course you named in a mocking way, and because sexual violence is a plague on the United States military.

'We can either address it by holding commanders responsible for the climate on sexual assault in their unit, and by creating a culture of professionalism, or we can address it by mandating that every three months, soldiers sit through the same hour-long lecture. Which of these two is better suited?'

What went before clearly, demonstrably, by the DoD's own investigations did not work Manic. Holding Commanders responsible is a fine idea, did and does it happen though? Sexual violence is rampant amongst your fellow officers, your suggestion amounts to 'deal with it'. With respect, they haven't been able and/or willing to do so. If they were, countless men and women wouldn't be dealing with the incredible levels of sexual assault that pervades your organisation and is perpetrated by your comrades in arms.

I truly support your value system, "Respect the rank, respect the uniform, be a f***ng professional". The problem is Manic that what went before utterly failed to achieve it. What is the source of your confidence that eliminating training courses will achieve this? It never has before.

Last edited by jobbridge4life; 09-05-2018 at 19:42.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-05-2018, 20:02   #5237

If I was asked "who is the President of the United States?" I would still say Obama. At least he was a real, actual politician.
09-05-2018, 21:00   #5238
oscarBravo
Custodiam ipsos custodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTaylor View Post
At least he was a real, actual politician.
At least he was sane.
09-05-2018, 21:06   #5239
Manic Moran

Quote:
Cheers for the little 'trigger' dig Manic,
Wasn't meant as a dig per se, if you took it as such I apologise. I do note that of all the issues mentioned, and it's not as if we don't have a suicide problem, etc, you (and others) all zeroed in on sexual harassment for some reason.

There is no source of confidence that briefs work either. We know for a fact that they take up training hours and that they royally irritate the hell out of troops, so if there is or is not a benefit on the matter of the various subjects being taught, they certainly have a negative effect on training and morale. The running joke was that all the suicide awareness briefs were driving us to suicide.

However, unlike, say, 20 years ago, we are now aware as an organisational culture that there is a significant harassment issue, suicide issue, PII issue, phishing issue, and whatever else. Besides, it's not that all such training is being removed entirely, we still have our mandatory SHARP and ACE which has to be done, for example, but it's a far more reasonable once-every-two-years instead of the 'once every three months' which got slapped on us when it was a political hot button. We have never really had a period of time when these things were both an active consideration and when briefs didn't keep getting added on, and there are more factors to be concerned about than we can reasonably schedule into formalised training. Thus, let commanders run their units and schedule their training as they see fit, with the understanding that these are factors which are being evaluated. Speaking of, I only get space for a few lines in the annual officer's evaluation report. Last I checked, one of them had to state "Supports the Army SHARP program". More important than expanding on leadership or tactical capabilities, apparently.

As the pilot said, how many times do we need formal training (with a certificate to be printed out upon completion and turned into the unit training NCO) to not put a random CD into a government computer?
09-05-2018, 21:24   #5240
Itssoeasy

NBC news is reporting that Michael cohen was "promising access" to the trump administration according to a drug company official.
Advertisement
09-05-2018, 21:42   #5241
Itssoeasy

John McCain has confirmed in his new book that he was the person who gave the Steele dossier to James comey.
09-05-2018, 22:07   #5242
everlast75

Nunes and another invited to meeting on Thursday in order to avoid causing trouble for sessions. I thought the rep investigations were over? I thought Nunes recused himself?

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/99...404708353?s=19

Maybe it's a good idea. If they are the only 2 with access to the info and it leaks then...
09-05-2018, 22:09   #5243
Itssoeasy

Also the press briefing at the WH has become utterly pointless it seems. It's seems to be either "I've not had that conversation with the president" " not that I'm aware" and "I'd refer you to outside counsel" or the real belter for a WH press secretary "I don't know the details"

I mean she might as well take recordings of herself saying those phrases and just press a button and play them when asked a question. It'd save her voice and her time.
(3) thanks from:
09-05-2018, 23:25   #5244
Cheerful Spring

Early reports but their reports of fighting between Iranians and the Isreali army near the Golan Heights. Iranians are firing missiles into Israel from Syria.
Advertisement
09-05-2018, 23:31   #5245
Cheerful Spring

https://twitter.com/SulomeAnderson/s...42559425204226
09-05-2018, 23:38   #5246
Cheerful Spring

https://twitter.com/mawilner/status/994344850269978624
09-05-2018, 23:40   #5247
markodaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy42 View Post
There is no doubt that that was a low point of the Obama years, he was unwise to make the statement when he couldn't back it up. But Trump has done little extra. A few missiles didn't change anything. So one could say that Trump did the exact same, threatened a lot but back up with very little.
What he did is follow up on what he said. He was explicit in his rhetoric about the use of chemical weapons and followed it up with actions, backed by an international force. A big difference to what his predecessor did.

Quote:
I'm not thinking in any such way. What other options?
Israel doing the dirty work in terms of air strikes. Saudi continuing its fight via proxy. Never mind the more covert stuff.

In other words, we wont be seeing a half a million American troops in Iran anytime soon. It is just not going to happen.
09-05-2018, 23:42   #5248
Cheerful Spring

Israelis heavily attacking Syrian Army now in Al-Quneitra province. Syrian Army responded by firing missiles at an Israeli base

#Israeli Airforce now over #Lebanon. #Syria's air defense system has engaged several targets over #Damascus, early reports suggest they are cruise missiles.
09-05-2018, 23:50   #5249
markodaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy42 View Post
Essentially you will believe his statements you want to and not the others? I mean you believe the isolationist rhetoric but not the rest. Indeed Trump has lied plenty of times, you need to think why you believe the isolationist stuff.
Because he is a populist and his base, the working class blue collar Americans are sick of having to fight these stupid wars of the past. He is not Bush.

He has been consistent in all this. Even the Alt-Right are anti foreign interventions. What they actually want are all the troops to be brought home and protect their own border with Mexico and to hell with the rest of the world. That is their line of thinking. Its flawed of course but there is more nuance here.

Its better to have some sort of rational, or we could go all out Helen Lovejoy and proclaim that WWIII is upon us, but then that would make one look like an hysterical idiot.

Also, remember. Congress are the people who has to declare war, not the POTUS. But I suppose that is lost on the Kool-Aid drinkers.
10-05-2018, 00:01   #5250
Cheerful Spring

IDF confirms missiles fired at Israeli targets. Heavy fighting still ongoing.

IDF defence systems identified approximately 20 rockets that the Iranian Quds forces launched at IDF forward posts on the Golan Heights
Thread Closed