Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-01-2018, 14:48   #2836
CatFromHue

Regarding the Church abuse there was the Ryan Report that followed a commission that looked into the abuse.

I don't know if there will or would be a commission that looks into Hollywood.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2018, 15:07   #2837
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandroad View Post
This attitude would invalidate the vast majority of church abuse claims in Ireland though. Very few of them saw the inside of any court or indeed a garda station, technically they are all allegations. And yet we believe them.
I'm inclined to believe them. I don't automatically. I believe the judicial enquiries that found evidence of abuse. I most certainly do not see someone as having any entitlement for automatic belief just because they make an accusation.
13-01-2018, 17:08   #2838
AudreyHepburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbleRouser2k View Post
That story was a paraphrasing of a Kathleen Madigan joke, she's a comic. If it did or didn't happen, I dunno. It's a good example of the stuff she does.
Encourage spending beyond their means.

Anyways, did anyone see the Late Late show tonight? Liam Neeson did an interview, as did Sean Spicer (surprising guest list tonight) and Neeson's comments on the metoo movement, describing it as a 'witch hunt' were met with 'revulsion' from twitter.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ow-822560.html

Liam Neeson was on the Late Late Show, was asked about MeToo...and suddenly twitter think's he's condoning rape.

The only thing they have to judge it on is a clip from the late late show. He clarified his statements later on in the interview, but twitter went insane. It's like those mad countries who think someone said something nasty because someone told them, and they can't read the truth.
He's absolutely right and anyone that thinks otherwise wants their head checked.

The likes of Harvey Weinstein clearly should be locked up but it seems to be the case that any man in any way associated with the film industry is fair game and that any little innocent brush against a woman can be seen as sexual misconduct and it's actually sickening to see.

It makes a mockery of true sexual assault and will only result in men being afraid to even look at women for fear of being accused of something untoward.

They can't all be sexual deviants. Just because a man brushed off you, touched you or said something dirty or having sexual innuendo or content in it does not make a sexual predator nor does it mean he deserves to have his career and life ruined.

Last edited by AudreyHepburn; 13-01-2018 at 17:13.
13-01-2018, 21:08   #2839
cloudatlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyHepburn View Post
He's absolutely right and anyone that thinks otherwise wants their head checked.

The likes of Harvey Weinstein clearly should be locked up but it seems to be the case that any man in any way associated with the film industry is fair game and that any little innocent brush against a woman can be seen as sexual misconduct and it's actually sickening to see.

It makes a mockery of true sexual assault and will only result in men being afraid to even look at women for fear of being accused of something untoward.

They can't all be sexual deviants. Just because a man brushed off you, touched you or said something dirty or having sexual innuendo or content in it does not make a sexual predator nor does it mean he deserves to have his career and life ruined.
Neeson's comment about Dustin Hoffman having a ritual for good luck was weird I didn't get it.
Thanks from:
13-01-2018, 21:11   #2840
RabbleRouser2k

Yeah, anyone who disagrees is being threatened with blocking on twitter...no discussion allowed...and this is why so called millennials are ridiculed. Though technically I fall into that bracket.

As Neeson said at the beginning of the interview, he dreads public speaking. No wonder with these people. Ugh.

Eliza Dushku is alleging she was molested when she was 12, by a stunt coordinator who worked on Tru Lies. He's still working in the industry, on high profile projects like Blade runner 2049.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/eliza...he-was-12.html
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-01-2018, 14:35   #2841

Margaret Atwood has written a piece about the divisions in feminism and verbalises a concern that I certainly have: when accusations are taken as fact, inevitably some innocent person is going to get caught in the crossfire. There must be some way for people to assert their innocence and currently that's not happening.
14-01-2018, 15:13   #2842
JupiterKid

And now another serious allegation. Eliza Dushku, who played Arnold Swarznegger and Jamie Lee Curtis’s daughter in the 1994 film True Lies, alleges she was sexually assaulted at the age of 12 by the stunt co-ordinator during filming.

Link:
https://www.cbr.com/eliza-dushku-sex...rue-lies-1994/
14-01-2018, 15:33   #2843

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterKid View Post
And now another serious allegation. Eliza Dushku, who played Arnold Swarznegger and Jamie Lee Curtis’s daughter in the 1994 film True Lies, alleges she was sexually assaulted at the age of 12 by the stunt co-ordinator during filming.

Link:
Really disturbing this could happen and people would turn a blind eye on any production, but for it to happen on a James Cameron film is even more surprising.

Only a couple of months ago he was moaning about Wonder Woman setting a bad message to women both young and old.
15-01-2018, 02:35   #2844
brooke 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudatlas View Post
Neeson's comment about Dustin Hoffman having a ritual for good luck was weird I didn't get it.
That was bizarre! He claimed he was 'on the fence' about Hoffman, yet proceeded to make statements to show he was anything but.
He even seemed to condone some of the grotesque behaviour attributed to Hoffman, calling some of it 'superstition' and 'childhood
stuff' among actors, at the same time as claiming that he himself had never indulged in any of it.
Perhaps Liam has a few skeletons in his own closet?
Advertisement
15-01-2018, 03:01   #2845
NIMAN

Can anyone tell me what the latest on Weinstein is?

Is he still 'helping police with their enquiries'?

Or is he a free man? If so, it would suggest he didn't do anything too illegal?
15-01-2018, 09:29   #2846
NI24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
Or is he a free man? If so, it would suggest he didn't do anything too illegal?
Hi Harvey!  You should save your strength-- you have a lot more prosecutors to bribe.
Thanks from:
15-01-2018, 09:33   #2847
eviltimeban

Now Aziz Ansari's getting it. Apparently he had consensual sexual activity with a girl who pursued him at a party, she gave him "non verbal cues" that he "didn't pick up on" but at no time did she leave or say no. Sounds more like regret over a bad date than anything else.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...ansari/550541/
(2) thanks from:
15-01-2018, 09:43   #2848
Mokuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterKid View Post

Link:
He has denied this.

Its her word against his right now. Both sides claiming that have people who can back up their version of events.

Yet its his name who has been dragged into the mud with no investigation. He has since been fired by his agency.

It would be nice if the world didn't automatically believe people based on gender.
(4) thanks from:
15-01-2018, 09:56   #2849
RabbleRouser2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeBob View Post
Really disturbing this could happen and people would turn a blind eye on any production, but for it to happen on a James Cameron film is even more surprising.

Only a couple of months ago he was moaning about Wonder Woman setting a bad message to women both young and old.
Read up on Cameron-he sat idly by while Arnold Schwarzenegger was groping ladies all around him, including his then wife Linda Hamilton (Cameron's wife I mean).

So this happened before, its him acting like it didn't that's creepy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...3/usa.filmnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vojera View Post
Margaret Atwood has written a piece about the divisions in feminism and verbalises a concern that I certainly have: when accusations are taken as fact, inevitably some innocent person is going to get caught in the crossfire. There must be some way for people to assert their innocence and currently that's not happening.
I think that was a telling sign when she didn't turn up for the Globes. Like the message of her book had been corrupted to become 'blame men!!!!'. No, blame those in power, those who allowed this crud to happen and are now shrinking in their chairs.

The allegations about Anziz Anzari are interesting-it explains why his Globes speech was so 'quiet' compared to his SNL hosting gig.

Last edited by RabbleRouser2k; 15-01-2018 at 11:51.
(4) thanks from:
15-01-2018, 17:40   #2850
pitifulgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokuba View Post
He has denied this.

Its her word against his right now. Both sides claiming that have people who can back up their version of events.

Yet its his name who has been dragged into the mud with no investigation. He has since been fired by his agency.

It would be nice if the world didn't automatically believe people based on gender.
What conceivable reason would she have to make it up? She told more than one person at the time about it. Seems more like effective measures weren't taken against the man at the time unfortunately. So yep I have no issue believing her. Terry Crews called out an agent for groping, it was also a guy who called out Kevin Spacey. So there are male victims that have come out.

Also in all likelihood not the only person abused by him so bringing it out into the open and will most likely make other victims more willing to come out.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion