Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-01-2018, 18:30   #1
Cake of Tremendous Power

I used to be with it

But then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it and whats it seems weird and scary to me.

I think the first time I began to realise I wasn't with "it" anymore was the rise of Snapchat. People roughly my own age were using it but I just couldn't understand the appeal. After that I began to realise I wasn't quite as up to date on trends as I used to be and found myself to be out of the loop when it came to what the youth were into. I had become old.

So lads, when did "it" change for ye?
Advertisement
13-01-2018, 18:32   #2

No Simpson's clip to go with it?
You disappoint me OP.

Im sure simpson quotes are lost on the youth.
13-01-2018, 18:33   #3
Gremlinertia

Send a message via Yahoo to Gremlinertia
Guards, when they started looking like fourteen year olds playing cops and robbers. Retired to my pipe and slippers then..
13-01-2018, 18:34   #4
AudreyHepburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake of Tremendous Power View Post
But then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it and whats it seems weird and scary to me.

I think the first time I began to realise I wasn't with "it" anymore was the rise of Snapchat. People roughly my own age were using it but I just couldn't understand the appeal. After that I began to realise I wasn't quite as up to date on trends as I used to be and found myself to be out of the loop when it came to what the youth were into. I had become old.

So lads, when did "it" change for ye?
When I too realized I was on neither Snapchat nor Instagram. Like you I just don't see the appeal. I hardly even post on Facebook anymore.

I have no idea what the 'youth' are into either and have recently found myself having to ask my 20 year old brother what certain slang words he uses mean.

It's official - at 31 years of age I am an auld one!
13-01-2018, 18:36   #5
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
For me its motorbikes.

I've ridden bikes for the last 32 years and have had all makes, models and engine sizes.

I had a BMW a few years ago (1100cc), when it started giving trouble I went down size to a 650cc. I had that maybe two years and thought the smaller engine was boring and slow.

So I bought a Kawasaki Z1000 thinking I needed at least 1000cc to satisfy me ~ I've never been so nervous on a bike than this one, I've no confidence in my abilities on it and I just know its because I'm older now (52 in March), so I'm looking at downsizing to a 650 again.

Snapchat too, can't be arsed but I think facebook is great for keeping me in the loop (biking and martial arts).

Oh, I got lovely Karrimor sandals for Christmas ~ they're really comfortable with socks, but my daughter goes made if I try wear them outside [with socks].
Advertisement
13-01-2018, 18:36   #6

Political Correctness
13-01-2018, 18:37   #7

Snapchat you say? Is this where one converses with an alligator?
(3) thanks from:
13-01-2018, 18:38   #8
Srameen

When I should have been with it there was no it. It only came along after I was no longer eligible to be with it. Some of my grandchildren have been known to say I'm with it but they are just being kind and, anyway, their it wouldn't be the same as my it so, by default, I'm not with it.

Last edited by Srameen; 13-01-2018 at 18:46.
13-01-2018, 18:41   #9
budgese

Send a message via Skype™ to budgese
When I went back to college at 35. I mentioned one day the Christmas Eve storm in 1997, and a classmate replied "Mam and dad still talk about that too."
(100) thanks from:
4Ad, 9or10, Agricola, ahnowbrowncow, beertons, Benzino, blue note, BuboBubo, buzsywuzsy, Cake of Tremendous Power, callaway92, Cee-Jay-Cee, Ciderswigger, Colliewollie, Comhra, Contessa Raven, count dookoo, Cutie 3.14, DaeryssaOne, daisybun, DeanAustin, drive3331, Drumpot, dublinman1990, erica74, farmersfriend, fattymuatty, Filmer Paradise, Foxhound38, FTA69, Fuaranach, fuerte1976, gargargar, Gremlinertia, GritBiscuit, Gunslinger92, housetypeb, irishman86, ixoy, JCX BXC, jimmycrackcorm, JupiterKid, justfillmein, KatW4, kellsred, KKkitty, klaz, Lackey, LadyMacBeth_, luckyboy, LynnGrace, magentis, Meleftone, miezekatze, muddypaws, Nerdlingr, newo, Ninjini, norwegianwood, Ol' Donie, Pappa Dolla, Patser, play4fun1, pumpkin4life, Purple Mountain, Pyr0, QuiteInterestin, RDM_83 again, redfacedbear, Remy Whispering Cat, RhubarbCrumble, riffmongous, Rubberlegs, scdublin, Schorpio, scwazrh, Sonics2k, Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo, tara73, taytobreath, Tazio, Tell me how, Teyla Emmagan, The Floyd p, The Master, Timistry, Timmaay, tipp_Gunner, ToddyDoody, tomglsn, Ubbquittious, Unpossible, Ush1, Vladimir Poontang, Vowel Movement, Wibbs, Wildcard7, xzanti, _coinin_, _Kaiser_
Advertisement
13-01-2018, 18:44   #10
mikemac2

A few years ago the media and everyone really was talking about Swedish House Mafia due to stabbings at their Phoenix Park concert

Tens of thousands of young ‘uns there

I never heard of this crowd before
13-01-2018, 18:44   #11
buried

That Simpson's episode and that quote is kind of defunct now. When that episode and line came out, the internet was not in the shape it was today. Back then you were told and SOLD what was "it". With the internet, whatever is "it" for you can now always be "it" forever. All you have to do is ignore the "its" that aren't "it" for you.
(4) thanks from:
13-01-2018, 18:45   #12
Jim Bob Scratcher

tis auld age i tell ya
13-01-2018, 18:47   #13
Cornelius Crow
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac2 View Post
A few years ago the media and everyone really was talking about Swedish House Mafia due to stabbings at their Phoenix Park concert

I was at that gig... felt like an oul wan at it and telling current young wans about it now makes me feel positively decrepit
(2) thanks from:
13-01-2018, 18:49   #14
AudreyHepburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac2 View Post

I drove through the throngs of drunken half dressed teens on my way to dinner before going to see Phantom Of The Opera at the bord gais - I remember thinking to myself ' that's it, I'm offically over the hill now'.

I was the only sober person in a 100 mile radius and was shaking my head in disgust at the state of them all!
13-01-2018, 18:49   #15
freshpopcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgese View Post
When I went back to college at 35. I mentioned one day the Christmas Eve storm in 1997, and a classmate replied "Mam and dad still talk about that too."
I nearly got blown away in that storm!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion