Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
30-08-2017, 01:04   #1
Stephen15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,037
Bus Eireann Middle Doors or lack of them

Why when the NTA is buying city buses for DB do they buy them with middle doors but not when buying city buses for Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, the town services or the Wrigthbus DDs they bought for use for use on the Dublin commuter routes such as the 103.
Stephen15 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-08-2017, 11:40   #2
bk
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 18,177
Sigh, yes it is pretty silly, just repeating the mistakes made with DB in he past.

But what is even worse IMO is the lack of a right hand side leap card validator and the need to interact with the driver, despite Cork being fundamentally flat fare! * Makes no sense at all.

* Yes I know that strictly speaking there are two zones. But many routes only operate in the inner zone and even on the longer routes, the majority of people are probably inner zone users.

The solution is simple. Install a right hand validator, set it to the inner zone fare, people looking for outer zone fare continue to interact with the driver.
bk is offline  
(2) thanks from:
30-08-2017, 11:57   #3
devnull
Moderator
 
devnull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,000
I'm not aware of passenger numbers in Cork the last year or two, but really is there a lot of people getting off many stops like in Dublin outside the terminus of many routes?

When I was there last it always struck me that the volume of passengers getting on and off a bus outside terminus stations was not really enough to justify middle doors.

What I will agree with though is having a flat fare and no right hand side validator is silly.
devnull is offline  
Thanks from:
30-08-2017, 12:28   #4
Stephen15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Sigh, yes it is pretty silly, just repeating the mistakes made with DB in he past.

But what is even worse IMO is the lack of a right hand side leap card validator and the need to interact with the driver, despite Cork being fundamentally flat fare! * Makes no sense at all.

* Yes I know that strictly speaking there are two zones. But many routes only operate in the inner zone and even on the longer routes, the majority of people are probably inner zone users.

The solution is simple. Install a right hand validator, set it to the inner zone fare, people looking for outer zone fare continue to interact with the driver.
Or just remive outer zone fare altogether and have a flat fare no matter where you going on the the Cork city bus network
Stephen15 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
30-08-2017, 12:31   #5
boardsuser1
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,802
The last buses to be in service in Cork with centre doors were the 1999 VWL's.

The centre doors were rarely used and were ceasing up.

They'd be very handy now though.

People going in the 'back doors' was another problem though thus fare avoidance.
boardsuser1 is offline  
Advertisement
30-08-2017, 13:18   #6
Stephen15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
I'm not aware of passenger numbers in Cork the last year or two, but really is there a lot of people getting off many stops like in Dublin outside the terminus of many routes?

When I was there last it always struck me that the volume of passengers getting on and off a bus outside terminus stations was not really enough to justify middle doors.

What I will agree with though is having a flat fare and no right hand side validator is silly.
Maybe not on sds but on dds definitely I don't why the vwds dont have them
Stephen15 is offline  
31-08-2017, 03:43   #7
dfx-
Moderator
 
dfx-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Solvency
Posts: 13,318
Strangely enough, I'd have thought the 205 and 208 for example would be ideal candidates for middle doors with lots of people getting off at the colleges.

Certainly more than the need on DB where they're not needed for the vast majority of the time (anytime outside the morning peak really) at the vast majority of the stops on the vast majority of the routes but are a shiny 'added extra' for government policy...
dfx- is offline  
Thanks from:
22-09-2017, 16:53   #8
WomanSkirtFan8
Registered User
 
WomanSkirtFan8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: somewhere in county wicklow, Ireland
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Sigh, yes it is pretty silly, just repeating the mistakes made with DB in he past.

But what is even worse IMO is the lack of a right hand side leap card validator and the need to interact with the driver, despite Cork being fundamentally flat fare! * Makes no sense at all.

* Yes I know that strictly speaking there are two zones. But many routes only operate in the inner zone and even on the longer routes, the majority of people are probably inner zone users.

The solution is simple. Install a right hand validator, set it to the inner zone fare, people looking for outer zone fare continue to interact with the driver.
Absolutely agree with that. The driver's job should be to just drive the bus and not have to worry about having to handle cash fares, Leap Cards, FTPs, etc.
WomanSkirtFan8 is offline  
17-11-2017, 19:31   #9
Evil-1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 44
There was an interview with the NTA about two years ago where they mentioned dual door buses in regional cities, they felt there is no need for them at this time but did not rule out using them in the future.
Evil-1 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-11-2017, 23:37   #10
brighterdays
Registered User
 
brighterdays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 75
The 304 in Limerick desperately needs these buses. It boggles my mind how it's not already there. You have to wait for every tom, dick and harry to get off before getting on which is lovely in the lashing rain when it's around 0 degrees!

And yes to the validator too. Having to let the driver physically enter your fare goes against the point of using a card in the first place... Honestly. The place is run by morons.
brighterdays is offline  
03-01-2018, 02:16   #11
MGWR
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Truck Driver View Post
The last buses to be in service in Cork with centre doors were the 1999 VWL's.

The centre doors were rarely used and were ceasing up.

They'd be very handy now though.

People going in the 'back doors' was another problem though thus fare avoidance.
That would be fare evasion. Fare "avoidance" means legally avoiding having to pay the fare.

The centre doors on the vast majority of US city buses (at least since the advent of the "new look" bus in 1959) have for decades been passenger-operated, where the grab bars on the door open the doors when an exiting passenger pushes on them; once the passenger lets go, the doors close automatically, preventing fare evaders from sneaking on. And it's not like anyone at DB or BE (or even CIE) would be unaware of this kind of operation, even after all these decades.
MGWR is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet