Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap blood test option?

Options
  • 08-10-2017 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Hi, I would like to get my blood tested, a lipid panel and some other markers.

My understanding is that the labs that do the tests do not charge for them and what you pay is the gp visit to get the blood extracted and sent over to the lab.

I do not feel the need to get a doctor to do this, I am just interested in how the numbers change over the next few month. I am wondering if there is a cheaper way to do it than going to a GP? I do not have medical insurance.

I live in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rowanh wrote: »
    what other markers are you looking at?
    My understanding is that the labs that do the tests do not charge for them and what you pay is the gp visit to get the blood extracted and sent over to the lab.
    The labs do charge. The staff aren't volunteers and there are obvious costs involved.
    It's just that when a GP orders the test, the costs are covered by the HSE. That's not the same as being free.

I do not feel the need to get a doctor to do this, I am just interested in how the numbers change over the next few month. I am wondering if there is a cheaper way to do it than going to a GP? I do not have medical insurance.
    I'm sure there are labs that will handling private blood testing. Google should help.
    But bare in mind, that you'll be paying for; the nurse who draws the blood, the lab tech who tests the blood and writes the report, handling the sample, potentially transport, and of course their profit on all of the above.

Private testing is a way to avoid seeing a GP. I'd be surprised if it was cheaper than a GP visit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dundrum medical centre charges 30 euro for a private one.

I've heard of people getting it done by a nurse at their doctors practice for 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I've heard of people getting it done by a nurse at their doctors practice for 20.
    You'll only get it done by the nurse at a practice at the GP's behest. I tried that one before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

I live in Dublin.

Privately it could add up to 50-100 euro per individual test i think. A lot more if it's something weird like a ceruloplasmin. Your GP can request bloods but thats because there's a medical justification for the same and they can interpret them something which a layperson doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's only the fee to draw the blood (which the GP shouldn't be charging extra for). The blood test is still covered by HSE. Not usually an issue but OP wants to avoid going to the doctor for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mellor wrote: »
    That's only the fee to draw the blood (which the GP shouldn't be charging extra for). The blood test is still covered by HSE. Not usually an issue but OP wants to avoid going to the doctor for some reason.

I get this question a lot actually due to people wanting to see how they are getting on on vegan diets, make sure they aren't missing something etc. Loads of people want to avoid going to a doctor for this as it costs more, particularly if you get them regularly and you don't need the doctors input. It's fairly simple for me to interpret mine etc, people often just want to check how things are going or want something specific checked (like my haemochromatosis, although that can be done with an iron test at some pharmacies). Sometimes people need blood tests every week for months.

The Dundrum one is a cheaper option for the OP. If you know your local practice well the nurse there will also do it for you instead of a doctor, skipping that consultation fee.
    Another option for regular blood tests is to pay full price for the initial consultation but arrange a lower fee for subsequent ones with the doctor, who will assign you to the practice nurse.

Mellor wrote: »

It's the fee for courier and equipment too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I do not feel the need to get a doctor to do this, I am just interested in how the numbers change over the next few month. I am wondering if there is a cheaper way to do it than going to a GP?

Labs do not charge for most tests. The cost of taking bloods at a GP practice varies a lot from one to another, so you should "shop around".

It is advisable to have your doctor interpret your results. If the results changed over the next few months what would you do with that information?

I think Boots have self test kits for Glucose/ Cholesterol/ Coeliac testing but I would be dubious about them. The most accurate results come from legitimate laboratory testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I forgot i posted this, the one in Dundrum sounds ideal, thanks for the info. I am not opposed to seeing a Doctor I just do not think it is beneficial in this instance so it seems like a waste of money.

I started doing keto and i am interested in how it is affecting me other than body fat percentage and how I am feeling.

On the other markers, HbA1c, ApoB,1gf1, Uric, also mineral levels like Magnesium/sodium/potassium/chromium and vitamin D.

There were some others I had in mind which I cannot remember off the top of my head. I was reading some of the plant based doctors info on keto being bad for you and they were mentioning specifics that could be checked. Rhonda Patrick also mentioned some markers that were not exactly relevant to keto but sounded like they would be interesting to check.

Turns out you need to see the gp in the Dundrum medical centre before they will do a blood test :/

I was having a look around online, the cheapest ones I have seen are all at least the cost of a Doctors appointment, I may just have to pay that much.

• Advertisement

Turns out you need to see the gp in the Dundrum medical centre before they will do a blood test :/

I was having a look around online, the cheapest ones I have seen are all at least the cost of a Doctors appointment, I may just have to pay that much.

Well when blood tests are carried out, the results have to go somewhere. They can't just be sent to the patient.

All tests are entered on the hospital computer system under the requesting doctor. So the results go back to the doctor.

They can't just be sent to the patient.

Why can't they?

That sucks, they definitely let people do them for cheap before. best bet is to go to a doctor once and ask can they do the subsequent ones cheaper.

Why can't they?

Test results in the hands of a patient can cause people to self-diagnose themselves and possibly self-treat themselves without medical guidance.
    If the results were outside of the normal range, patients may unnecessarily worry and misinterpret the results.

Your doctor considers your recent history, medications, reasons for the bloods tests being taken and then treats you accordingly, not just based on numbers.

Your doctor considers your recent history, medications, reasons for the bloods tests being taken and then treats you accordingly, not just based on numbers.

I am able to go and collect the blood tests without seeing a doctor to follow up, i have to see a doctor first.

Anyway for anyone looking for something similar in the future I spoke to the receptionist again in Dundrum and it sounds like if you have a good reason for getting multiple tests you can just see a doctor once €60 and then pay 30 euros for each you get, it also sounds like €30 for getting as many markers tested as you like.

I forgot i posted this, the one in Dundrum sounds ideal, thanks for the info. I am not opposed to seeing a Doctor I just do not think it is beneficial in this instance so it seems like a waste of money.

I started doing keto and i am interested in how it is affecting me other than body fat percentage and how I am feeling.

On the other markers, HbA1c, ApoB,1gf1, Uric, also mineral levels like Magnesium/sodium/potassium/chromium and vitamin D.

There were some others I had in mind which I cannot remember off the top of my head. I was reading some of the plant based doctors info on keto being bad for you and they were mentioning specifics that could be checked. Rhonda Patrick also mentioned some markers that were not exactly relevant to keto but sounded like they would be interesting to check.

I'd say that's 2000e worth of blood tests privately. A GP won't just request blood tests you want, that's not the way it works. I'd be worried you don't know what your requesting either. IGF-1 is a bizzare test unless you think your acromegalic, Chromium certainly won't be tested. ApoB isn't part of a a routine lipid profile and is adds nothing that an LDL and HDL don't.

Testing all those bloods for you would be a massive waste of scarce healthcare resources. You might get a renal profile and a Hba1c.

I'd say that's 2000e worth of blood tests privately. A GP won't just request blood tests you want, that's not the way it works. I'd be worried you don't know what your requesting either. IGF-1 is a bizzare test unless you think your acromegalic, Chromium certainly won't be tested. ApoB isn't part of a a routine lipid profile and is adds nothing that an LDL and HDL don't.

Testing all those bloods for you would be a massive waste of scarce healthcare resources. You might get a renal profile and a Hba1c.

"Apolipoprotein B is a particle on LDL cholesterol, and acts as the ‘anchor’ when LDL sticks to the walls of blood vessels (this is bad). It’s been recently found to be an even better indicator of risk for heart disease than LDL (or anything else, for that matter). Your Apo B level may be a better indicator of cardiovascular risk than even LDL cholesterol." It sounds worthwhile to me.

Igf1, I heard a lot about this watching a BBC horizon about intermittent fasting, I have also read a bit about it from Rhonda Patrick. I am curious how my diet will effect it, it seems to be quite relevant both to building muscle and to longevity. Perhaps it is somewhat superfluous and hard to put a value to..

"Chromium and vanadium help improve blood sugar regulation. Chromium acts to increase the production and the release of glucose transport molecule called GLUT-4 enzymes in the liver and muscle tissue. It does this by shifting GLUT-4’s location from deep within the cell to a position on the cell membrane." I have heard from a few places it is reccomended to supplement it on keto though it seems I should be getting a decent mount of it in my diet already, perhaps it is unnecessary.

Is there anything else you would suggest requesting that might be of use to me?

Apolipoprotein B isn't routinely available. Not all routine labs perform it so it may be expensive to have done. Similarly with IGF.
    Apo B is still a relatively new biomarker so further study may be needed. There's nothing wrong with measuring HDL and LDL. They are still reliable markers for evaluating the risk of heart disease and are routinely available.

Chromium and vanadium may help improve blood sugar regulation but what's the point in taking supplements you may not need and will probably just excrete them anyway. The best way to regulate your sugar is through diet and glucose measurements are also routinely available from a blood test.

Apolipoprotein B isn't routinely available. Not all routine labs perform it so it may be expensive to have done. Similarly with IGF.
    Apo B is still a relatively new biomarker so further study may be needed. There's nothing wrong with measuring HDL and LDL. They are still reliable markers for evaluating the risk of heart disease and are routinely available.

Chromium and vanadium may help improve blood sugar regulation but what's the point in taking supplements you may not need and will probably just excrete them anyway. The best way to regulate your sugar is through diet and glucose measurements are also routinely available from a blood test.

Sounds fair enough on the apob and igf1, if its complicated and expensive maybe its a waste of resources. I dont get your reasoning on the chromium, "why take something you may not need" I am not saying I want to take it, I am saying I want to see if its high/normal/low.

Advertisement