Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I walked out after 29 minutes...

Options
  • 30-07-2017 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭

Baby Driver 2017

I thought this was awful. An IDIOT friend of mine recommended this to me as I'm a big fan of crime films. The only good aspect I got out of watching this thing was gaining the knowledge never to listen to that person's "crime" film recommendations ever again. "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is a more edgier crime film than this. I knew I was going to have problems right from the musical-ish get go. I left after 29 minutes and was glad to be out. The derivative, gimmicky, cartoon colour cheese nearly suffocated me. Also, even though a big music fan myself, there is nothing worse than having to listen or even remotely hear what somebody else is listening to on their own headphones as they prance about like a t!t, either on-screen or in reality. It's not funny, clever or cool, its just plain annoying. Awful awful stuff

zero out of 10

Mod note: this post and the following discussion was originally posted in the recently watched thread.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

buried wrote: »
    Baby Driver 2017

I thought this was awful. An IDIOT friend of mine recommended this to me as I'm a big fan of crime films. The only good aspect I got out of watching this thing was gaining the knowledge never to listen to that person's "crime" film recommendations ever again. "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is a more edgier crime film than this. I knew I was going to have problems right from the musical-ish get go. I left after 29 minutes and was glad to be out. The derivative, gimmicky, cartoon colour cheese nearly suffocated me. Also, even though a big music fan myself, there is nothing worse than having to listen or even remotely hear what somebody else is listening to on their own headphones as they prance about like a t!t, either on-screen or in reality. It's not funny, clever or cool, its just plain annoying. Awful awful stuff

1 out of 10

You watched 29 minutes? How are you in a position to give it any kind of rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

You watched 29 minutes? How are you in a position to give it any kind of rating?

The 29 minutes was enough. I also never walk out of films. This thing made me want to cut off my own legs never mind walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The 29 minutes was enough. I also never walk out of films. This thing made me want to cut off my own legs never mind walk.

Sorry but that is nonsense, you have no idea what happened in the rest of the movie therefore are in no position to give it a rating.

Sorry but that is nonsense, you have no idea what happened in the rest of the movie therefore are in no position to give it a rating.

Too bad. I just did rate it. 1 out 10.
    I know what happened at the start and that was bad enough to make me leave. That's how bad I thought it was.
    In fact, looking back now, Ima give it zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Too bad. I just did rate it. 1 out 10.
    I know what happened at the start and that was bad enough to make me leave. That's how bad I thought it was.
    In fact, looking back now, Ima give it zero.

Hopefully we can start a thread where you can review and rate other movies you didn't watch. I'm really excited about where this concept can go. I'd imagine the rating system would range between zero and 1 ... or maybe we could use the % of the movie you actually watched as the rating? "Watched 2 minutes of wolf of Wall Street rated 1%."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Hopefully we can start a thread where you can review and rate other movies you didn't watch. I'm really excited about where this concept can go. I'd imagine the rating system would range between zero and 1 ... or maybe we could use the % of the movie you actually watched as the rating? "Watched 2 minutes of wolf of Wall Street rated 1%."

This is a great idea, What Have You Not Watched Recently
    "Oh I didn't watch Baby Driver there the other day. Hated it I'd say, 1/10"

lol I did watch it, I watched 29 minutes of it and it nearly made me vomit. What was I supposed to do so? Waste another hour and 30 minutes enduring something I thought was absolutely atrocious? On a Saturday night? Would it have gotten any better for me if I had stayed? Honestly, would it have?

Ridiculous the twisty knickers people get into when a person pans a hyped up movie that particular person didn't like!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

lol I did watch it, I watched 29 minutes of it and it nearly made me vomit. What was I supposed to do so? Waste another hour and 30 minutes enduring something I thought was absolutely atrocious? On a Saturday night? Would it have gotten any better for me if I had stayed? Honestly, would it have?

Ridiculous the twisty knickers people get into when a person pans a hyped up movie that particular person didn't like!

You started watching it. I'm sure you understand the difference.

Haven't seen baby driver myself but did see Dunkirk. Wasn't what I was expecting but the more I think about it since watching (all of) it, the more I think it's a really excellent film. Not what you'd expect from a war film at all and the timelines are novel and a clever way to show the events from different perspectives. One to catch in the cinema.

budgemook wrote: »
    You started watching it. I'm sure you understand the difference.

I started watching it, then I stopped watching it because I thought it was terrible. I'm sure you can understand that yourself, never done something similar yourself I suppose?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

So we need a "What have you started watching recently" thread.

• Advertisement

So we need a "What have you started watching recently" thread.

See, the difference here is that to start watching something, that sort of implies that you will eventually return and finish watching it.

I won't be doing so with this particular film. I was ecstatic to get out of the thing and shan't be returning

See, the difference here is that to start watching something, that sort of implies that you will eventually return and finish watching it.

I won't be doing so with this particular film. I was ecstatic to get out of the thing and shan't be returning

That's not going to fit in a thread title.

I suppose, how about - "what have you watched recently what made you kill your screen"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Baby Driver

It was a bit dodgy for the first 29 mins, after that it picked up rightly and I thought it was great.

Left after 36 mins though. Still thought it was great.

lol Look Baby fans, I ain't getting paid to spend the little free time I have watching something I find to be absolute rubbish from the very start, and then to keep watching the rubbish right until the very end of the thing. It was either walk out and be free of it, or, stay in my seat like a total masochistic lunatic until the very end.

"Baby Driver" isn't some tv show series what starts out a bit slow then builds up as it goes, this films tone, setting and mood was completely evident to the viewer straight from the first 60 seconds, and I thought it was totally awful, and for me it got progressively worse. 29 minutes was hard enough work to sit through as it was.

Once again, Would this film have gotten any better for me if I had stayed? Did it totally change course after 29 minutes or did it still resemble the same ridiculous cheesey cartoon trying to be a stylish crime thriller with really badly written, poor dialogue and badly written characters that I couldn't give a tupennyf**k about?? I seriously doubt it.

I also would like to be shown this new pedantic rule where you can't comment or rate a film just because you found it so terrible that you turned it off or left the cinema. What kind of lame baby infant fanboi new age nonsense is that?
    What next? You must listen to an entire album of music you don't like or even enjoy before you can comment about how poor you think it is?

Looks like 'Baby Driver' got some real Baby Infant Fans, and they get real pedantic and really p!ssy about the fact someone didn't like this film and thought it was an absolute heap of $hite.

I don't think anyone gives a s**t that the film in question, or the 29 minutes of the film in question, was Baby Driver.

I don't think anyone gives a s**t that the film in question, or the 29 minutes of the film in question, was Baby Driver.

Well whats the problem here then, you've never heard someone say they thought a film was so bad that they turned it off? Seriously? You've never done that yourself?

I heard it said numerous times, done it myself numerous times, whats the problem?

Well whats the problem here then, you've never heard someone say they thought a film was so bad that they turned it off? Seriously? You've never done that yourself?

I heard it said numerous times, done it myself numerous times, whats the problem?

It seems it's the fact that you've both reviewed and rated a film you only watched 29 minutes of.

I have of course turned films off but the most I would say about them is I turned them off and perhaps the reasoning for it. I wouldn't rate/review the whole film based on 29 minutes.

It seems it's the fact that you've both reviewed and rated a film you only watched 29 minutes of.

I have of course turned films off but the most I would say about them is I turned them off and perhaps the reasoning for it. I wouldn't rate/review the whole film based on 29 minutes.

Yeah, not once did I give a legitimate reason why I thought it was terrible :rolleyes:

You'd want to re-read what I wrote Elmo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I started watching Robocop 3 the other night, it wasn't good I thought at the start but I persevered. It was rubbish. But I did it!

I can now say Robocop 3 is shoite.

• Advertisement

Yeah, not once did I give a legitimate reason why I thought it was terrible :rolleyes:

You'd want to re-read what I wrote Elmo

Perhaps you should reread what I wrote.

I was saying what I would write if I didn't watch a full film. I didn't say you had or hadn't given reasoning for not liking the first 29 mins of Baby Driver.

Perhaps you should reread what I wrote.

I was saying what I would write if I didn't watch a full film. I didn't say you had or hadn't given reasoning for not liking the first 29 mins of Baby Driver.

:confused: You said this
    I have of course turned films off but the most I would say about them is I turned them off and perhaps the reasoning for it.

I did the exact same thing in the very first post about it, did I not? So once again, what is the problem??

:confused: You said this

I did the exact same thing in the very first post about it, did I not? So once again, what is the problem??

The bit at the end? The bit you left out of the quote there? Maybe? Giving a 0/10 rating to a film you haven't actually watched.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the problem other posters have with your post is that they love Baby Driver so much. You've accidentally unlocked a whole new sect of Internet super fans.

lol I'm out of this spiralling goobledygook, bad enough I had to endure 29 minutes of it last night, now I've spent the entire day today back in its ridiculous noise. Sorry my review of a totally rubbish film derailed the thread.

I am also going to strangle the clown who recommended this thing to me. That's probably what I should have done this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Probably because Kermode had it on his top 10 so far of 2017. He stuck it ahead of La la Land as a better musical. I have always turned musicals off but I wouldn't be spouting what a rubbish film it is without seeing the whole thing.

Jesus christ on the cross, it wasn't like I left and didn't watch the whole thing because my wife was about to head into labour or some other kind of emergency. I left because I thought it was absolute $hit. Am I not allowed that opinion because I walked out because I thought it was $hit? Seriously? Should I go see it again tomorrow and watch the whole thing like an actual torture event? Can I haz opinion on it then plzzzz?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can I haz opinion on it then plzzzz?

Yep. And others are allowed call it out your opinion if they think it's ridiculous. That is how public discussion forums work.

(For the record, the film's best sequence is later on and marks a notable tonal shift from the cleanly choreographed ones at the beginning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Look at it this way. I clearly know I'm gonna hate a one direction concert movie. If a mate of mine told me it was actually an all action sex drugs n rock n roll epic and I got fooled into seeing it, and left after a few minutes, even 29, I'd not be coming online posting reviews of it.

Baby driver is crystal clear a leave your brain at home action driving cartoon like caper. Just because you expected the usual suspects due to your mate's explanation of the movie doesn't give you enough ammo to come on saying it's trash.

Yep. And others are allowed call it out your opinion if they think it's ridiculous. That is how public discussion forums work.

(For the record, the film's best sequence is later on and marks a notable tonal shift from the cleanly choreographed ones at the beginning).

Well That's handy. Can you remember what time it starts at? I'll just go in tomorrow and catch that bit so

• Advertisement

Look at it this way. I clearly know I'm gonna hate a one direction concert movie. If a mate of mine told me it was actually an all action sex drugs n rock n roll epic and I got fooled into seeing it, and left after a few minutes, even 29, I'd not be coming online posting reviews of it.

Baby driver is crystal clear a leave your brain at home action driving cartoon like caper. Just because you expected the usual suspects due to your mate's explanation of the movie doesn't give you enough ammo to come on saying it's trash.

Sorry JP but that wasn't my only reason, I also said it was badly written with bad characters that I literally did not give a damn about.

But yeah, your right I suppose, I should have done my own research on it instead of going in totally blind. FWIW I was told that it was a "crime thriller" on par with films such as 'Drive' and the 'Pusher' trilogy by an absolute total idiot, either that or an absolute liar who hadn't seen it or those other films at all.
    It's a cheesey cartoon, badly written with bad characters along with a relentless pop soundtrack with not much else. It wouldn't have mattered if it was 4 hours or 30 minutes long. It was awful.

Advertisement