Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

pablo128 wrote: »
    I tackled my sisters clutch after work on Tuesday. Started at 6pm and finished at 11.30pm. 08 Auris petrol. Straightforward enough. I took this pic at 9.15pm.

I was using my new LED worklamp. Supposed to have 4 hours light on a full charge. It lasted 5 and a half hours.:cool:

Did you change it on axle stands in your drive? If so how hard a job is it.ive no doubt i could do it but wondering how feasible it is without it being on a ramp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Goose81 wrote: »
    Did you change it on axle stands in your drive? If so how hard a job is it.ive no doubt i could do it but wondering how feasible it is without it being on a ramp.

On a good set of 6 ton axle stands in my mothers drive. My drive is on a slope. I put one of the wheels under the engine and put a mini trolley jack on it to support the engine once the mounts were removed. I usually take the gearbox out altogether but it kind of wedged in that position so it suited me just fine.

I'm getting too old for this crack though. I was using a creeper but its easier to roll around the ground without it so I ditched it. I paid for it the next day. I was like a cripple!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I'm getting too old for this crack though. I was using a creeper but its easier to roll around the ground without it so I ditched it. I paid for it the next day. I was like a cripple!:(

Big style, my neck and shoulders are in bits today from the work yesterday. As you say a creeper isn't ideal. Crawling around under the car is for young lads. It's getting to the stage I'll need a lift or pit soon :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yeah, neck and shoulder spasms are no fun. I hate going under neath, the last time was to change the oil which wasn't too bad, as it didn't take as long. I remember doing the fuel filter and that took me nearly 2 hours because of the awkward location of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I changed the water pump on my E36 a week ago and a 30 minute job turned into a 5 hour job after the water pump decided it doesn't want to part with the engine.

4YXwobB.jpg?1

No pry bar would pull it out. I had to start drilling into it to try and unsieze it but it wasn't budging.

WrsgbI3.jpg?1

Eventually it split in half and I had to remove the rest of the water pump in pieces using a screw driver and hammer :( That's what happens when you run the original water pump for 130k+ miles :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Was it leaking?

Was it leaking?

It was hard to tell as the pulley covers the complete water pump assembly but there was a bit of play in the bearing.

Jaysus it looks like she took a load of hammering in that first picture :D
    Nothing worse than that feeling.....ffs..just..loosen..up..ya...bo**lix, as you whack your thumb with the hammer :pac:
    Fair play though, tasks like that take perseverance and many would give up before they finished!

lafors wrote: »
    Jaysus it looks like she took a load of hammering in that first picture :D
    Nothing worse than that feeling.....ffs..just..loosen..up..ya...bo**lix, as you whack your thumb with the hammer :pac:
    Fair play though, tasks like that take perseverance and many would give up before they finished!

Yeah it was very annoying. The water pumps have 2 threaded holes to put a bolt through and push the pump out but those sections on the pump just snapped immediately. It was welded to the block basically haha.

Just a small job but I had to post it. I was replacing an undertray on my dads 99 Toyota Picnic that he had caught on a kerb or something. This is the last job I'll be doing on this car. He has it 16 years and I am the only person to have worked on it in that time. I'm sure it has featured in this thread before. Actually in the time he has this yoke the folks have bought and paid for a house!

I have memories of going to look at a car in Limerick about 10 years ago and cracking 120 mph on the way back with my da in the passenger seat. My sister and one of my brothers passed their test in it. On Monday evening it had 299945 miles on the clock exactly. Likes a drop of oil but runs like a swiss watch and passes the nct every time.

Tomorrow it gets replaced with a 131 Auris 1.3 petrol. I don't really know how to feel.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Please get it to 300 before the trade in

Please get it to 300 before the trade in

Today at lunchtime.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Today at lunchtime.:D

You should break a ceremonial bottle of beer over the bonnet for reaching that milestone :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Serviced the girlfriends Nisson Note today. It's a 1.6 petrol and was in dire need of an oil change. First time servicing anything other than my BMW, but it was an absolute doddle. The car is so high you hardly need to lift it at all. Took me less than an hour to get the oil out, change the filters and fill up the oil. She's purring away nicely now.

Next up will be servicing my e46, and then maybe I'll do the plugs on the note. 'Tis the season for working on cars lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Getting the manifold off the note to do the plugs can be annoying, everything you think might have to come off just does have to come off or you're not getting the manifold past the fuel rail.

Straight forward after that. They're a grand car to work on, aux belt change is literally a 10 minute job.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CianRyan wrote: »
    Getting the manifold off the note to do the plugs can be annoying, everything you think might have to come off just does have to come off or you're not getting the manifold past the fuel rail.

Straight forward after that. They're a grand car to work on, aux belt change is literally a 10 minute job.

Thanks! I may as well do the belt too if that's the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I did a mates Peugeot 207 on Sunday, the cabin filters i'd say were at least 5 years old, black as coal. I couldn't get over the oil capacity, 3.25 litres! He normally pays a mechanic €120, we did the oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filters for €43.00. And i'll get an Indian out of it, everyone's a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I did a mates Peugeot 207 on Sunday, the cabin filters i'd say were at least 5 years old, black as coal. I couldn't get over the oil capacity, 3.25 litres! He normally pays a mechanic €120, we did the oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filters for €43.00. And i'll get an Indian out of it, everyone's a winner!

Except the mechanic!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Got new GY Eagle F1s fitted during the week.

20170425_112528_zpspwa06gdc.gif~original

1_zpsipxubssv.gif~original

2_zpsamtvrzl3.gif~original

Then moved onto a little niggle that's been showing the engine light intermittently for the last few weeks, the fuel tank breather valve. It sits on the front of the engine block and feeds fuel vapour from the fuel tank into the intake.

New valve:

3_zpsf6jjqlrj.gif~original

4_zpsepsi1b9u.gif~original

5_zpsut6jkqz8.gif~original

6_zpsd1wnao3f.gif~original

The old valve:

7_zpssdaqmliy.gif~original

Out with the old:

8_zpso6fepqrs.gif~original

9_zps4igukbzw.gif~original

In with the new:

10_zpsf42stjbg.gif~original

Also checked out all the breather lines and breather valves, all good.

11_zpsoogikgx8.gif~original

No more engine light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭blackbox

Busy weekend:
      Replaced a front wheel bearing on the MR2. Old one needed quite a bit of persuading to come out. Changed brake pads while I was at it.
      Also fitted a digital music player to the Lexobarge. It tricks the system into thinking it is a second CD player. Very pleased with it. While I was at this I fixed the armrest. Seemed like it was banjoed as it had to be held forward to unlatch it. Turned out some screws had fallen out, but it took a good bit of dismantling to get to them.
    • Also had a go at fixing an intermittent fault with the display screen on the Lexus. Internet said re-soldering a cracked joint would fix it. I don't think it worked, but at least I haven't made it worse. Never tried "micro" soldering before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Voodoo those rims are class...really suit the bm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Well not today but Friday evening and Saturday morning, new plugs, coils and serpentine belt. Surprised that the old coils hadn't failed given the state of them.

th_BEBDE19B-A7DF-4BAA-8249-77293138651F_zpsdvzh7jgw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

New toys for ms jou's suv.

Was:

416206.jpg

Now:

416207.jpg

She likes it. And when she's happy, I'm happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Indeed! :D

There's a list already. :p

And that list is long. :cool:

;)

Something simple from over the weekend. Was getting annoyed with the surrounds to the idrive and around the gear stick do decided to respray them. I had the gear stick surround plastidipped but it got some small scratches so decided to do a proper respray.

Before:
    IMG_20170428_131857_zps5nus1ims.jpg

Sanded down both parts, then used fine grit paper to get a smooth finish. Next 3 coats of grey plastic primer.

IMG_20170428_140800_zpsmdmpvb35.jpg

Then 3 coats of Matt black, followed by 2 coats of clear lacquer.

IMG_20170501_204416_zpszkjw5was.jpg

Very happy with the finish, though probably shinier than some of the other parts I've done but happy all the same.

Getting the 4 kuhmo KU39 fitted today with full alignment too.
    Need to get my hands on a small compressor and can of gunk now.

Replaced the wishbones on the E36...

Old wishbone vs new wishbone
    o40KXIx.jpg

I went for E30 wishbones because they don't have rubber bushings surrounding the ball joints so they last a lot longer. Plus they are almost half the price compared to E36 wishbones!
    NPHeu3R.jpg

One of the drop link mounting bracket bolt snapped when removing it from the old wishbone so I had to drill it out and use a new bolt...
    AYs4Y3j.jpg

I'm still waiting for the poly bushings to arrive so I removed the old rubber bushings from the lollipop brackets and gave them a quick spray of paint
    j3bQ8ia.jpg

Once the bushings arrive I'll put them in and the car will go for the NCT retest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Not sure on the E36, but on the E30 you can use the drop links from the rear of a Ford Mondeo Estate, the Lemforder part number is LMI 2581102. They are a bit stronger I believe because they are rose jointed.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Not sure on the E36, but on the E30 you can use the drop links from the rear of a Ford Mondeo Estate, the Lemforder part number is LMI 2581102. They are a bit stronger I believe because they are rose jointed.

Thanks man. The front suspension geometry on the e36 is identical to e30 so I'd say they'll fit. Good to know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

Decided Finally To Get My 18" Alloys From My Mondeo Tit x Refurbished,
    They Were In A Bad Way,Kerbing & Scratched All 4 .
    Very Happy With The Results & 4 new Premium Tyres & New Centre Caps Also:D
    (Ps-I Still Don't Know How To Add pictures:confused:)

Advertisement