Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness tracker.

Options
  • 09-01-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all, I want to buy a fitness tracker and I am currently looking at either a garmin vivoactive hr or tomtom multi-sport cardio + music. Does anybody have any experience of either of these, (or any other I might have missed) and what are they like? They are pretty expensive and would like some feedback from users before taking the plunge. The reason I want to buy one is to maintain weight loss and get fitter generally but also to track my heart rate (without a chest strap preferably). I have trouble sleeping so it would be nice to see how many hours of quality sleep I am getting as well.
    I should also note that I am considering giving a triathlon a try later this year hence these two models. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Just got the new FitBit Charge 2 last week and love it.

I've had a couple FitBits before and this is by far my favorite!

Battery last about 4 days with good use.
    Accurate heart monitoring. (Checked with a chest strap)
    Silent Alarms (vibrating)
    Sleep Monitoring
    Stairs and General Activity Monitoring
    Call/Text/Calendar Notifications (You can read them)
    Stopwatch

Then special modes like Weight Training, Interval Training, Running, Cycling etc all built into watch. Plus some things like 'Mindfulness Breathing' to calm you down if you get stressed.

They've added GPS tracking too if you run with your phone.

If they added Music Controls and WhatsApp etc it'd be PERFECT!

Looks great! Highly recommend.

Think they're about €120 from Amazon. (Mine was a part exchange after my old ones screen got damaged)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitbit-Charge-Heart-Fitness-Wristband/dp/B01KSX37G2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1484048336&sr=1-1&keywords=charge%2B2&th=1&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

I have wanted an activity tracker for a while, I have had 2 Garmin Forerunners purely for running over the years, and liked how they performed & the Garmin Connect interface, so I decided on the Garmin Vivosmart HR+ GPS. I bought on Amazon for about €160, a lot cheaper than Harvey Norman etc. Just watch that it is the GPS version you are looking at, as there is Vivosmart HR and HR+GPS.

My main motivation was for the HR feature on the wrist rather than a chest strap, the constant tracking with active minutes identified, and the ability to track activities in the gym as well as running. I like that it collects stats all the time, and over time as fitness increases you can see the improvements in your HR zones etc. I mainly will be using it for going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week. I used to do a decent amount of running and am aiming to get back into it, hence I went for the GPS version.

IMO the main pros are:

-Step Counter, initiative to your level of usage, and increases/decreases accordingly. Also hourly silent vibration alerts to keep active, you need to walk for a couple of minutes to clear it so it makes me get up from my desk which is always a good thing. Also records stairs / levels changes.

-HR Monitor at wrist, which so far I have found to be accurate and very similar to the Forerunner data (with chest strap). Also shows a 4 hour snapshot on the watch, with full details viewable on the app/online Garmin Connect.

-GPS for outdoor running

- 5 day battery life, 8 hours with GPS – This is pretty decent, and the watch does alert you when the battery is 24 hours to go

- Sleep Monitoring – Shows times of deep and light sleep, and movement etc. I personally don’t fully understand the benefit of this as yet as I sleep like a log anyhow, but might be handy to others!

- Records Active Minutes – i.e. exercise minutes, and sets goals and changes them accordingly to your level of activities.

- Bluetooth updates to phone, also allows music volume control and text/email etc. notifications on the watch while in use and connected

- Garmin Connect App – This is really good, shows all your stats in an easy to read way, its very interact and I find very easy to use.

Cons

-The main con IMO is that it only allows you to record Walking, Running or Other, so gym work (apart from cardio) is recorded as other, but I do wonder how accurate it is as its not activity specific. I would have liked to see Strength Training, HIIT etc to choose from. But in fairness its not a big deal, and for all of the list above its not a big deal

-It is a bit chunky on my wrist, some of the other products seem to be a bit tidier, but again only a minor thing.

I have been wearing it for a week now and so far am really happy with it, has exceeded my expectations and as a person who loves stats its super!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭naulpolan

Thank you for such long and detailed replies. I think I will go with the vivoactive hr. It seems quite competent in all aspects of use and for a fairly reasonable price. The only one I see to better it is the Fenix 3 but prices are way too expensive for me.

Advertisement