Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

EvoTech oil and radiator guards,R+G carbon tail sliders,carbon tank pad,and a 5nm torque wrench.Oh and 1/4 inch 12 point socket set and extension bars and taitide numberplate bracket..Its all in there somewhere.:pac:

Just have to cut and modify the tail tidy for the BMW now.:)

20161028_184439_zps1uxk0ejc.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

My bike's filler neck is a bit grotty and the drain doesn't drain all that well.

30662976241_a78a55d4fc_c.jpg
    DSCF8356 by macplaxton, on Flickr

So I decided to kick the can down the road instead of actually taking the tank off and doing the job, because I can do without the downtime. A cap for the cap was needed.

My eye wandered round the kitchen and I spotted this:

30780582185_8cb9e302f2_c.jpg
    IMG_20161023_224358 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Mmmm Tunnocks!

At first I thought about using the base, to cover the fuel cap so over a cuppa I got the scissors out

30144946923_4c0a5e3d2c_c.jpg
    IMG_20161023_224350 by macplaxton, on Flickr

and used the base of the tub with a flap. It was rubbish as it wasn't quite large enough in diameter. So plan B was implemented and that used the lid rather than the base of the tub and it is just slightly over the diameter of the cap assembly. Attached at the right-hand side with some grey duck tape it did okay for a week or so. Any water pooled on the slightly shouldered lid and would keep most - if not all - of the water out of the way, but I thought I could improve the stop-gap fix (ok, bodge).

This time I measured the cap recess diameter, got the knife out on a second tub (yum) and have now constructed a replacement cap hat. It's now a nice snug fit in the gap between the cap edge collar and the tank top panel.

30474590570_f9511e27cc_c.jpg
    DSCF8445 by macplaxton, on Flickr

30686960261_ea95642b89_c.jpg
    DSCF8446 by macplaxton, on Flickr

They'll be massive next year I tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

its probably styrene based plastic? the petrol is just gonna melt it Im afraid..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Started debaffling my Street Glide yesterday. Got the shock of my life when the first came out. They're huuuuuge compared to the US bikes baffles.

Everyone loves noisy Harleys right ?? :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Wossack wrote: »
    its probably styrene based plastic? the petrol is just gonna melt it Im afraid..

It's PP and just a cover to keep the rain out, it's not containing any petrol the tank and cap are doing that job. All it'll get is a whiff of vapour now and then, by the time it's ready to fall apart I'll either have fixed the stupid internal water drain tube or munched through several more pots of Tommy Tunnock's finest. ;)

It's not going to just melt looking at it. I reckon that sunlight (UV) will finish off the plastic first.

• Advertisement

Bought an alloy tail tidy off of Ebay for 20 euro.
    Cut it down to size to suit the S1000rr back end.
    Some alloy/zinc primer,then 3 coats of Hammerite and voila,shes on the bike.:)

s-l1600%203_zpszg5yce75.jpg

20161108_155313_zpsr6zcln9e.jpg

20161109_094929_zpsg5ssjqq5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭smokeyjoe123

Currently replacing the stock rubber brake and clutch lines on the blackbird with lovely carbon look HEL lines, 11 bloody lines in total! Had to label them up to stop me getting confused! Got all new seals for the calipers as well while I'm at it.

Some of the pistons weren't moving even under pressure from the lever/pedal. Didn't bother with using compressed air. Figured out a nice way of getting them out. Had a spare bar end weight that fit into the pistons and just tightened up the nut to make the rubber grab the inside of the piston and pulled it out! Delighted with myself!

Putting a new chain and sprocket set on as well. Still the original set on the bike since 2002!

20161109_213808.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Sold it 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Sold it

Fitted these this morning.
    Nice and bright,but threw a lamp code on the dash and they are flashing too fast,along with the rear LED tail light unit,even with the resistors fitted.

Anyone got any ideas??

20161111_103611_zpszsoaw4uz.jpg
    20161111_113627_zpsr84ni0rm.jpg

• Advertisement

Fitted these this morning.
    Nice and bright,but threw a lamp code on the dash and they are flashing too fast,along with the rear LED tail light unit,even with the resistors fitted.
    But when I press the hazard light switch,they all flash perfectly normal.

Anyone got any ideas??

20161111_103611_zpszsoaw4uz.jpg
    20161111_113627_zpsr84ni0rm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,675 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are all the other lamps working? And are you sure the resistors are correct for the circuit on that model?

If another lamp is out it will flash fast if the resistor is too low it would also cause issues.

Does the S 1000 have a canbus circuit requiring coding of the lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Yesterday I added barkbusters hand guards to my bike. My hands were lovely and warm this morning :-)
    There are leds on them but I haven't wired them up yet.

listermint wrote: »
    Are all the other lamps working? And are you sure the resistors are correct for the circuit on that model?

If another lamp is out it will flash fast if the resistor is too low it would also cause issues.

Does the S 1000 have a canbus circuit requiring coding of the lights?

LED lights are specific for the S1000rr and came from a reputable company.The resisitor leads supplied are the correct ones I presume.The rear indicator lights are gone,as i have an intergrated LED brake light with indicators fitted.

Think it has Canbus allright.
    So its a trip to Joe Duffy and ask them to stick the laptop to wipe the code?
    Will that get them flashing at the correct rate then??:confused:

On a side note..................

Carbon tank pad,techspec pads and carbon tail sliders fitted this afternoon.And got a small number plate up by Artscan for 20 euro.:)

20161114_160306_zpsou37a9zk.jpg

20161114_162549_zpswfmoxajr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

were you having issues with your previous reg setup?

today I locked up my rear wheel when my fuel pump stopped working and I drew a big dark line before pulling in the clutch

I planned on doing it before but now I'm not riding the bike until I clear the fuel filter and see if there's anything else wrong.

also going to look into removing the alarm system on the bike. Don't have a fob for it and the ****ing thing started going off when I was cycling the ignition on and off to try get it started again to ride home

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭blade1

were you having issues with your previous reg setup?

He wasn't but the cops were!!:pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    He wasn't but the cops were!!:pac:

They loved me really.:pac::D

0a556db9-7041-4467-836b-4fa60a15027e_zps656zm5ml.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Finally got round to doing a few bits on me own bike today,

Started by fitting a gear indicator, went for the Gipro. Fitting was really simple and straight forward. For me as a new rider im delighted with this, I was really struggling with remembering what gear i was in, and after my first spin with it on this is well worth the cash!

Oh and excuse the dust, was gutting timber in my garage and this is before washing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭blade1

They loved me really.:pac::D

0a556db9-7041-4467-836b-4fa60a15027e_zps656zm5ml.jpg

BMW owners meeting!:pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    BMW owners meeting!:pac:

Ah jaysus,you're right there.
    Never even "copped" that.:pac::D

• Advertisement

S1000rr OEM tank cover off and new carbon vented cover on instead.

20161115_120922_zpsfywqkd6i.jpg

20161115_122524_zpsvawz4sgk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

Not something i did to the bike but i did pick up one of these guys to stick under the seat in case of battery emergencies this winter.

Decent price too even if i only get to use it once or twice before it dies, it can work as a spare phone powerbank too.

this doesn't sound one bit good..?

horrible sounds from 5 minutes on.. rough running and spluttering for the whole 6 minutes.. and what the **** is that banging at the start as I'm trying to turn it over? immobiliser or something on that fooking alarm or a relay clicking because something is shorted out?

think from my complete guessing that it needs throttle body sync and there's maybe a valve stem gone or something like that to be making those awful noises and causing the mad rev changes there at the end, I was doing my best to keep it at 2k there.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

Sounds like your timing is out with the run on.
    What's the spinning bolt @ 36 seconds on your vid?

Sounds like your timing is out with the run on.
    What's the spinning bolt @ 36 seconds on your vid?

could have hopped a tooth with a stretched timing chain so or something?

the spinning bolt is the adjuster for secondary air valve / high idle cam which is not engaging properly, I move the follower a bit in the video which just raises the revs, so it should be holding it open as it warms up.

Not sure if that bolt is meant to move like that but it's used for adjusting the position of the secondary air valves

• Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sounds to me like one cylinder is intermittently missing - a coil, plug or HT lead breaking down when hot?

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

Got my Austin Racing inconel headers delivered today and also went to Souhan in Trim to get a connector pipe flange widened by the lads there.
    Headers are seriously lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Got my Austin Racing inconel headers delivered today and also went to Souhan in Trim to get a connector pipe flange widened by the lads there.
    Headers are seriously lightweight.

I love that exhaust, shame they dont make it for mine...

Cant wait to hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I fitted a lovely Irish reg plate to my bike today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Any update frozenfrozen (great username for this time of year :) )

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

Advertisement