Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stop start technology

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,588 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Dardania wrote: »
    Just a perhaps tongue in cheek observation - would those on this thread that don't like the start/stop technology, and actively disable it - would they perhaps be the same people that don't leave their air conditioning in automatic mode, and instead like to manually control the heating & cooling?

Reason I make this observation, is that some people are happy to offload thinking to the machine (set & forget) whereas others, for whatever motivation, don't like to release control at all...

I use the stop start.
    Climate control I use manually
    Lights on auto
    Heads / dims on auto
    Wipers on auto
    Handbrake I never touch, Use it on Auto.
    Phone auto connect Bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

My tongue in cheek generalisation about control freaks was off the mark completely! I stand over thinking its a good tec - maybe it's just annoying to some people. Anxiety causing maybe?

I saw a good clip where fifth gear tested stop start in I think Birmingham - seemed to give good results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8D6N981zo8

Although grogis point about lifecycle costs needs to be borne in mind with the weight of things etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I have 250,000km on my 2011 superb tdi with stop start and no problem with it so far.

I turn it off when in stop start traffic on m50 but otherwise I don't even notice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I really like the peace and quiet it brings - you can have a chat at the lights if someone is in the car with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

(Awful in diesel cars. Who wants a big shudder every time you start stop).
    Totally untrue, no shudder with the stop/start in my Audi A3, and will only work when the engine is up to full tempeture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

joe199 wrote: »
    What's peoples opinions on these new cars which cut the engine everytime you stop? On a personal level I just couldn't get used to it and don't think I ever could.
    I've a 2010 Honda insight,i think it's a good idea,saves the environment,a bit,and the pocket a bit,so win,win

vectra wrote: »
    Dardania wrote: »
    Just a perhaps tongue in cheek observation - would those on this thread that don't like the start/stop technology, and actively disable it - would they perhaps be the same people that don't leave their air conditioning in automatic mode, and instead like to manually control the heating & cooling?

Reason I make this observation, is that some people are happy to offload thinking to the machine (set & forget) whereas others, for whatever motivation, don't like to release control at all...

I use the stop start.
    Climate control I use manually
    Lights on auto
    Heads / dims on auto
    Wipers on auto
    Handbrake I never touch, Use it on Auto.
    Phone auto connect Bluetooth.
    Don't forget the pillow,tomorriw morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Nah... no need for the pillow.

I got one of these to keep me alert

https://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-RPSC-784-12-Volt-Coffee-Carafe/dp/B00446YIYK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,588 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Forgot to mention I have the driver alert on as well in case I get a bit tired :pac:

vectra wrote: »

Forgot to mention I have the driver alert on as well in case I get a bit tired :pac:
    That takes the fun out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I don't actually have one.

My commute isn't that long

Advertisement