Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OHP and shoulders

Options
  • 01-08-2016 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Most of my lifts progress slowly but surely but I am really stuck on overhead pressing. I have been a bit very guilty of neglecting shoulders in the past (I have also had a long term injury that has hindered things a bit) but for the past 3 months I have been doing OHP twice a week (5 sets at a heavy weight 5-6 reps one day and another day 5 sets at a lighter weight 10ish reps with a drop set for some volume). Honestly I am still stuck at pretty much the same weights DBwise and not seeing much progress at all.

Is there any good assistance work that might help? I have been doing lateral raises 2-3 times a week and occasionally front raises and cuban presses with a very light weight but I am not sure if these are a good use of my time as I am a bit frustrated at getting nowhere shoulder-wise. With shoulder stuff in particular I try to be very conscious of mind-muscle connection to get my form right perhaps at the cost of moving up in weights, but I actually find I really need to concentrate when doing shoulders more than any other exercise to try and activate the muscle.

Would really appreciate any advice on some assistance work or other tips that might help me improve and stop me being stuck on 8kg DBs for sets of 10 forever. And ever. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi guys

Most of my lifts progress slowly but surely but I am really stuck on overhead pressing. I have been a bit very guilty of neglecting shoulders in the past (I have also had a long term injury that has hindered things a bit) but for the past 3 months I have been doing OHP twice a week (5 sets at a heavy weight 5-6 reps one day and another day 5 sets at a lighter weight 10ish reps with a drop set for some volume). Honestly I am still stuck at pretty much the same weights DBwise and not seeing much progress at all.

Is there any good assistance work that might help? I have been doing lateral raises 2-3 times a week and occasionally front raises and cuban presses with a very light weight but I am not sure if these are a good use of my time as I am a bit frustrated at getting nowhere shoulder-wise. With shoulder stuff in particular I try to be very conscious of mind-muscle connection to get my form right perhaps at the cost of moving up in weights, but I actually find I really need to concentrate when doing shoulders more than any other exercise to try and activate the muscle.

Would really appreciate any advice on some assistance work or other tips that might help me improve and stop me being stuck on 8kg DBs for sets of 10 forever. And ever. :o

Did you try apply hanleys want a simple program to get stronger approach. I'm doing an OHP day and making good progress on it. On the second 6 weeks now and I'm doing Arnold press, seated barbell press, face pulls Cuban press as assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Did you try apply hanleys want a simple program to get stronger approach. I'm doing an OHP day and making good progress on it. On the second 6 weeks now and I'm doing Arnold press, seated barbell press, face pulls Cuban press as assistance

Thanks - yeah I did it, or something very similar (a programme from Hanley's webinar series) a while back, but not for shoulders, so that's a good idea. At the moment I do back and shoulders on the same day but maybe I just need to absolutely ram the shoulders to death one day a week and see how it goes :D

Thanks - yeah I did it, or something very similar (a programme from Hanley's webinar series) a while back, but not for shoulders, so that's a good idea. At the moment I do back and shoulders on the same day but maybe I just need to absolutely ram the shoulders to death one day a week and see how it goes :D

Well it's workin for me and I've a dreadful OHP. And my long dangly arms don't help either:)

Well it's workin for me and I've a dreadful OHP. And my long dangly arms don't help either:)

I have long arms too :D I'll use that as an excuse to make myself feel better!

I have long arms too :D I'll use that as an excuse to make myself feel better!

Do, I blame my arms after bench pressing too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So you do 5 sets of 5-6 and 5 sets of 10 another night?

Thing is with DBs, you're looking at 2.5kg jumps so at a certain point you can hit a plateau for a bit.

Have you tried either adding volume at the weights at 5x5/6 and 5/10 rather than just a drop set for volume?

You could try upping the weight and building up to the set /rep rangers...you could manipulate rest times...you could do some tempo work. Plenty of ways to vary what you do rather than just weight til such time as you can up the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

On heavy day, the first week, what reps and weight did you do?
    What are you doing now?

The main issue with OHP is that it's a naturally smaller lift than the rest of the "big 6". So a standard jump is relatively more compared to the others.
    If you are lifting lighter weights that issue is compounded further. I'm trying to jump from 28kg to 30kg, 7% and it's a balls.
    10kg to 12kg is 20%

I was doing 5x5 with 10kg for 2 months or so and can now just about do 6 reps for a couple of the sets now, but not all. Was trying to gradually increase reps over time but it's not happening.

The other day I do sets of 5 sets of 10 with 7kg (and a dropset with 4kg) - 90 seconds rest - started this a month ago after I switched from having done 8kg x 10 x 5 sets for 6 weeks as wasn't able to increase my reps to 11 so thought I would try something else.

Some good suggestions there to think about, thanks guys.

If I got 5x5 I'd usually increase the load. The issue here that here a 20-25% increase is probably more than your max (10-12% over 5rm).

There's two approaches I'd try in your position.
    • Switch to barbell presses for a while. You'll be lifting double current DBs, but with relatively smaller increases. You'll get 20kg X 5, then give 22.5kg a shot.
    • Stick with DBs, but find a way to divide the jump to the next SB. Can't lift 12kg? Put a pair of wrist weights on, say .25kg or .5kg, and lift the 10kgs. There's it's a PR. Repeat next week with something heavier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Weekly progression:

PHASE 1
    6kg 4x15
    7kg 4x12
    8kg 4x10
    9kg 4x8
    10kg 4x5-6

PHASE 2
    7kg 4x15
    8kg 4x12
    9kg 4x10
    10kg 4x8
    11kg 4x5-6

...then just do whatever other assistance work you want after. The ones DTP suggested would be good.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys - thanks Hanley will give that a shot and hopefully report back with good news in a couple of months. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,129 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There is also no doubt that the OHP will be the hardest lift to progress for most people, though the programming advice above is good.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There is also no doubt that the OHP will be the hardest lift to progress for most people

It's the reason I have 0.5kg plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm trying to jump from 28kg to 30kg, 7% and it's a balls.

Yeah, I am sitting on 27.5kg DBOHP and the thought of jumping all the way to 30kg as the next increment is not exactly exciting.

Zillah wrote: »
    Yeah, I am sitting on 27.5kg DBOHP and the thought of jumping all the way to 30kg as the next increment is not exactly exciting.
    I was genuinely happy when my gym upgraded the DB to 2kg increments. It's the little things.

I was genuinely happy when my gym upgraded the DB to 2kg increments. It's the little things.

Used to be a set of DBs going up in 2kg increments from 16 to 38 along with the others going up in 2.5kgs.

Was great to be able to go 20 - 22 - 22.5 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27.5.

Used to be a set of DBs going up in 2kg increments from 16 to 38 along with the others going up in 2.5kgs.

Was great to be able to go 20 - 22 - 22.5 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27.5.
    We have 2kg jumps from 2kg right up to 50kg,
    The other set were dumped, but the other branch of the gym has them, if I needed a rock the mini jump

While we're on the subject, what would be classed at a good standing OHP with barbell?

While we're on the subject, what would be classed at a good standing OHP with barbell?

Bodyweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Hanley wrote: »
    Bodyweight.

Yeah but whose bodyweight?

.......:(

• Advertisement

Yeah but whose bodyweight?

.......:(

Ones

Bodyweight.

Right now I actually think I have more chance of getting my bodyweight down to 25kg than I do of ever OHPing 65kg+ :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I can OHP my nephew's bodyweight quite easily. Can we go with that?

Zillah wrote: »
    I can OHP my nephew's bodyweight quite easily. Can we go with that?

Sounds good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

OP hows your form? Have you any vids or have you gotten anyone to check it out

Bodyweight.

Strict or pushed? :(

Strict or pushed? :(

Press. Not a push press.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

id also add in make sure you've decent rom in your shoulders and ensure you're doing some external rotator cuff work and powell raises etc

JJayoo wrote: »
    OP hows your form? Have you any vids or have you gotten anyone to check it out

Don't have any videos unfortunately - my form is something I am conscious of and I am sure it could definitely be improved. But I do try and pay attention to my form on shoulder stuff more than any other area to be honest as I find it so difficult. I do them with a neutral grip so the dumbell just touches my shoulder at the bottom, and try to make sure not to lean back, but keep everything directly overhead in a straight line. I can put my arms over my head when standing against a wall without reaching my neck out so I think my shoulder mobility is not the worst (though again, could definitely be improved!)

I do a load of shoulder dislocates, band pull aparts, very light rear delt flyes too just for mobility a few times a week but am going to give the powell raises a go as well. They look interesting!

Thanks again for all the advice!

• Advertisement

my form is something I am conscious of and I am sure it could definitely be improved.

Get heavy DBs, have someone help you get them up to lockout, then do three reps through a 6" range of motion before dropping them from the top and making some sort of loud grunt.

Gains.

Advertisement