Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Are there any more men carrying coal in horse drawn wagons? That was still a thing in the year of our Lard nineteen hundred and eighty seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

uch wrote:
    So do you prefer Choc Ice or Dracula Pop?

I think it was called the count :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Being absolutely fcuking horrified when the price of a bag of Tayto went from 4p to 7p.

Being able to combine our two 1p bus fares when my brother and I managed to skip our bus fares to buy a packet of crisps in the tuck shop on arrival at school. But not Tayto, they were 3p each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Hard hitting public safety ads

Your harmless family pet dog turns into a bloodthirsty cutthroat at night and kills sheep. Do you know where your dog was last night??

Grandad falling into the river and drowning

Young lad getting zapped to oblivion for climbing on ESB equipment.

Lots more

"Wheres Grandad?"
    "So you're off to school on your bike"
    "John did ya put the cat out?"
    "Kids, wouldn't ya die if anything happened them?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

440Hertz wrote: »
    The mystery of picking up the phone and having no idea who was going to be on the other end!

Caller ID didn't widely exist until the mid to late 1990s, and initially in Ireland was only between GSM mobiles and on ISDN.
    It didn't come to all Telecom Eireann analogue landlines until 1998.

I still don’t have caller ID on my landline. Makes no odds, have no issue with answering phone. Same with private numbers on mobile. Can’t understand the fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Postal orders.
    Cheque books.

Cash will be next to go the way of the cheque book. I haven't had a cheque book since around 2008. Don't think I've actually had a banknote in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I still don’t have caller ID on my landline. Makes no odds, have no issue with answering phone. Same with private numbers on mobile. Can’t understand the fear.

Found the poster who isn't behind on their debts

McGaggs wrote: »
    Cash will be next to go the way of the cheque book. I haven't had a cheque book since around 2008. Don't think I've actually had a banknote in 2020.

Wrote a few cheques in last 12 months. Three related to school activities for my children. And one for a new boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

The speaking clock, this was a telephone service where you could phone a number and an automated voice would say something like "at the next beep the time will be 9h30 and 30 seconds... It may seem stupid nowadays to ring a phone number to get a precise time but in the pre-digital era it was a commonly used service.

Wake-up calls, again this was a telephone service where you phoned a number and booked an alarm call. I think you booked the call with a real person but the alarm call was automated however go back far enough and it was manual too. This was a service I used a lot back in the day. I was paranoid about missing flights or important meetings so in addition to setting the old analogue alarm clock, I'd book a wake-up call.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,467 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Noggin the Nog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

The English. In my day they were everywhere. We had to doff our cap and pay a shilling for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

As a child, being sent to the shop by your grandparents with a note:

"Please supply with 40 silk cut purple".

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Being forced out the door to mass. Being interrogated as to what the readings were on your return to make sure you actually went. This was done to adult children home at the weekend.
    Used to go to the video arcade (that's something that probably belongs in this thread) during Mass but I think my mother was suspicious and I'd get the interrogation. We lived in the country and the only time I could easily go to the arcade was at lunchtime on school days, so the temptation to play a few games on a Sunday was too great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Vita nova wrote: »
    The speaking clock, this was a telephone service where you could phone a number and an automated voice would say something like "at the next beep the time will be 9h30 and 30 seconds... It may seem stupid nowadays to ring a phone number to get a precise time but in the pre-digital era it was a commonly used service.
    especially after a power cut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Vita nova wrote: »
    Used to go to the video arcade (that's something that probably belongs in this thread) during Mass but I think my mother was suspicious and I'd get the interrogation. We lived in the country and the only time I could easily go to the arcade was at lunchtime on school days, so the temptation to play a few games on a Sunday was too great.

Lol, that's exactly what I did when I hit about 13. My mother would grill me about the priest reading out death notices etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

smurf492 wrote: »
    I think it was called the count :)

Wasn't there one called a " Chilly Willy"?
    Edit: Found it

https://images.app.goo.gl/wGMRTQKGHMXPLwbk7

Television channels that didn't tell you what programme is on. It's not that many years ago, before digital tv, that even on cable and satellite, you had absolutely no idea what you were watching without referring to a TV guide or guessing.

Didn't you have to buy RTE guide, TV Times and Radio Times to get the listings for RTE,UTV and BBC

Didn't you have to buy RTE guide, TV Times and Radio Times to get the listings for RTE,UTV and BBC

Yes

Easier to check the newspaper (if you had one)

Mastitis and Scour ads on TV

And liverfluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Yes

Teletext or Aertel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes

Checking the newspaper for the TV schedule!Or to see when the prgoramme I had heard about was on.The memories😳
    And I am not 40 yet :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Mastitis and Scour ads on TV

And liverfluke.

Nilzan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzv_xRCFUS8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Midnight mass on Christmas Eve was actually as advertised.

Somewhere in the 90´s midnight mass moved to 7pm. It's still called midnight mass though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Midnight mass on Christmas Eve was actually as advertised.

Somewhere in the 90´s midnight mass moved to 7pm. It's still called midnight mass though!

That was because of the Christmas Eve pub throwouts who would wander up to the church for midnight mass, arrive late, hang around the door talking during the service, leave early and then go home and declare that they "Got Mass".

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Do you remember simulcasts on Network 2 for the Beat Box on a Saturday morning?

At the time TV sound quality was still largely mono, unless you were loaded and had a Nicam digital stereo TV or a satellite dish with proper stereo (cable didn't support it either). So to get the music videos with full quality sound, RTE used to broadcast the show on Network 2 and 2FM at the same time.

If you turned on your big old hi-fi and turned the volume of the TV right down, you got glorious music videos with full quality stereo FM audio for as much as two hours a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

At the time TV sound quality was still largely mono, unless you were loaded and had a Nicam digital stereo TV or a satellite dish with proper stereo (cable didn't support it either). So to get the music videos with full quality sound, RTE used to broadcast the show on Network 2 and 2FM at the same time.

If you turned on your big old hi-fi and turned the volume of the TV right down, you got glorious music videos with full quality stereo FM audio for as much as two hours a week!

Or if you were in my house you turned the volume off and sat there in your pyjamas with your Walkman headphones on (only it wasn't s Walkman) cos "I'm not having that rubbish blasted through the house on a Sunday morning!"

Teletext or Aertel

Lots of tv's didn't have a remote so no teletext

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Just a bit before that... when RTE Radio first went in stereo on VHF, the guide mags and newspapers would have a (S) indicated next to some of the listed scheduled radio programmes, to indicate which ones were going to be originating from the stereo studio.

The TV equivalent was in the mid 70's when RTE started to introduce colour broadcasting regularly. I remember being in for a tour of TV centre when it was being upgraded for the launch of RTE 2 TV and saw a colour mixing desk in the presentation booth, where someone was monitoring the output off the actual broadcast signal on a TV and was then adjusting the colour tones manually, to get the balance right. This was particularly required when transmitting USA imported programmes as the standards conversion required at the time (NTSC to PAL), wasn't quite up to the job and Kojak and co usually looked a bit seasick, with too much green in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Grease nipples.

Anyone remember when cars had steering and suspension joints that needed greasing as part of serviceing?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Playtex bra ads on telly
    Ads for cigarettes in newspapers and magazines

Advertisement