Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ apologises to Cowen

• 25-03-2009 2:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

Last night, RTÉ ran a brief, accurate report about the two unflattering paintings of Brian Cowen that appeared recently in two different art galleries in Dublin.

Tonight, at the end of the 9 o'clock news, Eileen Dunne read out an apology to Brian Cowen and his family for "any personal offence caused...and for any disrespect shown to the office of the Taoiseach by our broadcast".

Here's the original report and here's the apology.

I thought that Pat Kenny asking that breakdancing kid if he was going to black up was my 'seriously RTÉ, wtf' moment of the week. Right now, my disbelief is matched only by my anger. The paintings, however tasteless, were newsworthy, and had been covered in a number of newspapers before being picked up by RTÉ.

Apologising after receiving complaints over the tastefulness of the item was cowardly and pathetic. It suggests that there are limits to what the national broadcaster can say about the Taoiseach and other political figures. Are there? Where is the line going to be drawn?

Comments

Unreal, wasn't as if it was a bad likeness either :p

Just goes to show how much pull and power this current idiot / crook of Taoiseach we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Also goes to show how conscious he is of the bad public opinion of him. Doesn't want anything except his own actions making a joke out of him

Police state next so it will be seeing as he's now in charge of our TV viewing, wish to god the man would just step down as Taoiseach and leave politics for good.

The boards here will be his next target :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

With all going on in this country Cowen sees fit to pursue this artist and draw ore attention to it. What a fool, watch this one really bite back, maybe if he jails the banking crooks and stops the everyday shootings, protects what jobs still exist etc before going after this artist,

Wow how stupid?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

hellboy99 wrote: »

Just goes to show how much pull and power this current idiot / crook of Taoiseach we have.

Watch your back, mate.

You might just end up disappearing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Being covered now on Pat Kenny

Some FF representative making the undercurrent that RTÉ is financed by a licence fee and should'nt make fun of the taoiseach, Pat made the point that the pictures were in the Sunday Tribune and that the govt was not looking for an apology from them.

I despair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I totally agree with the assessment made by Stargal. This action was cowardly to say the least. RTÉ should not apologise for broadcasting a news item that has been extensively reported elsewhere.

This is approaching the way in which China operates their media. Had Cowen's office known in advance of this report, we can be sure it would never have been broadcast. This is sad, pathetic and laughable all at once.

By apologising RTÉ are towing the line! Has Cowen demanded an apology from the BBC for reporting the story? Would the BBC make such an apology? We can only wait and see.

I really hope other Irish media have more balls that this and start actively reporting, publishing the pictures and asking hard questions of both Cowen and the RTÉ response. Spineless on both sides!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

RTE= State broadcaster, they know full well what side their bread is buttered on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've just sent off a missive to Pat Kenny, he might read it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Embarrassing decision by RTE. No balls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Expect no less from a mouthpiece like o'carroll

To be fair-it wasn't a piece for the main news in the way it was covered.
    It was a piece for a magazine programme or for the opening of tubridy or for podge and rodge...

They werent wrong to cover it but were wrong to treat it in the way they did.
    Their job is to Report the making fun of the Taoiseach and not make fun of him themselves.

Thats the way the piece was done and was most certainly not in my opinion what you'd find on the BBC news at ten or ITV were Gordon Brown the focus of this for example.

The news [as opposed to a discussion programme] on any broadcaster is not meant to be an opinion piece or mouthpiece for any one opinion or parody.
    It's meant to be the factual reporting of the days events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

One of the reasons that a license fee exists is supposedly so that state broadcasting can continue on a long-term basis without being at the whim of the governing party. If RTÉ feel the need to back down so easily perhaps a return to a less secure form of funding might be appropriate...

One of the reasons that a license fee exists is supposedly so that state broadcasting can continue on a long-term basis without being at the whim of the governing party. If RTÉ feel the need to back down so easily perhaps a return to a less secure form of funding might be appropriate...
    Thats ridiculous to be honest.
    Either you enforce proper complaints procedures regardless of who is complaining or you don't.

RTE isn't partial in that regard.
    They had no choice but to apologise.

I'd suggest if people here think that Cowen wasn't seriously entitled to complain about the way this was reported [as opposed to plain reporting] thentake it further and see how you get on...

This thread is just crass government bashing from what I can see- even suggesting that the decision to apologise was because of some government pressure.
    Utter Bull from what I can see.

I can guarantee that if the painting was of you or me and we were famous and complained if the report was done in the way it was done,the result would be the same-an apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Disgraceful, issuing an apology like that. It's not as if RTE were the ones themselves putting the portraits in there. They just reported - in a fair manner I believe - on an event that happened.

What's more, it wasn't given top billing. It was treated as a curiosity, such as we often see on the news, and to my mind it was sensitively handled, with attention to the factual details, for example how the gallery can't sell the paintings, since they belong to someone else.

What's worse than RTE issuing the apology however is the government asking for it, which I presume they did. Cowen gets mocked for his physical appearance, but that's public life. He's a big boy and should get over it. While people might have a quick laugh at his expense, they'll retain a lot more long-term respect for him if they see him as someone who doesn't take himself too seriously.

How do we see him in the light of this event? An oversensitive, irascible bully who can't take the jibes that are the daily feature of a taoiseach's life? Or something more sinister? A vain leader who thinks he should be above ridicule, and who believes (with justification now) that he can stifle such ridicule in the media? Will he now start pushing further and criticise reporting of his political actions?

He seems to think that because he's able to get people to toe the party line in FF, that now that he's taoiseach, he should be able to dictate to RTE as if he had control over them like he does over the party.

What little respect I had for Fianna Fáil and Cowen is now totally gone. The sooner we have an election and kick this crowd out, the better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thats ridiculous to be honest.
    Either you enforce proper complaints procedures regardless of who is complaining or you don't.

RTE isn't partial in that regard.
    They had no choice but to apologise.

I'd suggest if people here think that Cowen wasn't seriously entitled to complain about the way this was reported [as opposed to plain reporting] thentake it further and see how you get on...

This thread is just crass government bashing from what I can see- even suggesting that the decision to apologise was because of some government pressure.
    Utter Bull from what I can see.

I can guarantee that if the painting was of you or me and we were famous and complained if the report was done in the way it was done,the result would be the same-an apology.

Of course Cowen is entitled to complain, that doesn't mean he's entitled to be right.

RTÉ reported on an event that took place and was of some news value. It was not vital, earth-shattering or life changing but it had news value. It has now apologised for causing offence by doing its job, in the same way it might apologise to a crime victim for reporting what happened to them.

If Enda Kenny got up in the Dáil tomorrow and started lobbing personal insults at Cowen, which RTÉ would absolutely have to cover, would RTÉ be responsible for the hurt caused by them?

You can brush it off as anti-Government bile but we have seen our national broadcaster censor itself and apologise to Government for reporting facts. From what Ray D'Arcy spoke about today we are also seeing pressure from the top on Gardaí to pursue the artist by any means necessary due to the offence caused.

If that doesn't trouble you even in some small way you have to wonder what will.

My implication wasn't that it was due to government pressure. On the contrary it was due to a weak broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hardly Government bashing, I don't even live in Ireland anymore and haven't done for 5 years. The main point of my argument is that RTÉ gave in to pressure to apologise for something they had nothing to apologise for. They were weak and backed down when they should have held their ground.

The fact that Cowen complained isn't quite immaterial however as it shows that RTÉ cave in to Government pressure. Let's not forget too that there have already been echoes of Dermot Morgan & Scrap Saturday in the recent warning by RTÉ bosses to the writers of Nob Nation to tone down the Cowen bashing.

Government interference is not something to be taken lightly, nor is the fact that RTÉ backed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Dear Mr. Cowen,

Please find a link to the BCC, www.bcc.ie, should you wish to waste the time of a civil servant I suggested you use the correct ones.

Kind regards,

• Advertisement

My implication wasn't that it was due to government pressure. On the contrary it was due to a weak broadcaster.
    Correction. Now that I see that the Gardaí are committing valuable resources to it obviously they are exerting some unnecessary pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

As a matter of interest what exactly can the gardai charge the artist with?

I can't see how he broke the law. Perhaps littering?

flogen wrote: »
    Of course Cowen is entitled to complain, that doesn't mean he's entitled to be right.

RTÉ reported on an event that took place and was of some news value. It was not vital, earth-shattering or life changing but it had news value. It has now apologised for causing offence by doing its job, in the same way it might apologise to a crime victim for reporting what happened to them.
    My point was it didn't just report.It went out on the street with a vox pop and made fun of him.
    Thats a departure from factual news reporting.It's an advocacy of disrepect which is ok in a satirical programme but it's not the function of news reporting.
    If Enda Kenny got up in the Dáil tomorrow and started lobbing personal insults at Cowen, which RTÉ would absolutely have to cover, would RTÉ be responsible for the hurt caused by them?
    Entirely different because they would be reporting what someone else done.
    They wouldn't be taking part.
    Effectively the piece they did on the 9 o clock news departed from plain reporting and entered the realm of joining the písstake that the paintings were.
    You can brush it off as anti-Government bile but we have seen our national broadcaster censor itself and apologise to Government for reporting facts. From what Ray D'Arcy spoke about today we are also seeing pressure from the top on Gardaí to pursue the artist by any means necessary due to the offence caused.
    I did not hear the darcy programme.Did he publish any facts regarding that?
    Are you suggesting that there is pressure from the top on Gardaí?
    With all due respect to you,I'd suggest you read the thread linked in the site wide forum announcement [for mods only]at the top of this thread by the way if you have no proof of this.
    If that doesn't trouble you even in some small way you have to wonder what will.
    Evidence please :)

Correction. Now that I see that the Gardaí are committing valuable resources to it obviously they are exerting some unnecessary pressure.

RTÉ should tell their Crime Corrospondent to report on the investigation :D

I don't think you are aloud to put paintings up with out the permission of the Galleries. I think that while they are public buildings you aren't allow protest inside them, this could be considered a protest.

My point was it didn't just report.It went out on the street with a vox pop and made fun of him.
    Thats a departure from factual news reporting.It's an advocacy of disrepect which is ok in a satirical programme but it's not the function of news reporting.

And one of the passers by took the piss out of their German PM, Should Mertial(sp?) complain? I am serious about the BCC becoming involved I don't see why the Mr. Cowen should have that quick access to complaints and appoligies when the average joe soap has to go through the proper procedures of making an application to the BCC. Cowen should not have had such access and he also should not ****ing care, there are far more important things going on he should do his job. He has made more of this than RTE's report did.

The report was done in a piss take manner. When I saw I was just about to say how Taigh Enright seems to be the Fluff Coorespondent.

For me the funniest thing about this is now that RTÉ have backed down and the Gardaí have been called in my opinion of the event has changed. Originally I had seen it as a well executed prank that Cowen could laugh off as a welcome distraction from more serious issues. Now I can see a lack of sense of humour, the willingness to meddle with the media and poor political judgement in how it was dealt with.

...and of course a weak pandering broadcaster.

Elmo wrote: »
    And one of the passers by took the piss out of their German PM, Should Mertial(sp?) complain?

The report was done in a piss take manner. When I saw I was just about to say how Taigh Enright seems to be the Fluff Coorespondent.
    Personally I've no issue with that actually except to say what I said,it can give rise to an actionable complaint.

I wouldnt have complained myself now if I was the butt of it,I'd have laughed it off and I'd be of the view that Cowen should have.
    That said,the apology was to his family aswell so maybe it did genuinely cause grave offence to his wife?

But of course we are talikng here about an unpopular man,leader of an unpopular party doing unpopular things...so why should it be expected that posters here might even consider to think that he may be submitting to his families wishes on this.
    I probably would do that if my wife was upset or my mother or my children.
    It's a basic element of human respect.

Personally I've no issue with that actually except to say what I said,it can give rise to an actionable complaint.

I wouldnt have complained myself now if I was the butt of it,I'd have laughed it off and I'd be of the view that Cowen should have.
    That said,the apology was to his family aswell so maybe it did genuinely cause grave offence to his wife?

But of course we are talikng here about an unpopular man,leader of an unpopular party doing unpopular things...so why should it be expected that posters here might even consider to think that he may be submitting to his families wishes on this.
    I probably would do that if my wife was upset or my mother or my children.
    It's a basic element of human respect.

Then he should go to the BCC. That is what it is there for. I am annoyed that he thinks he can just ring up RTÉ and get an appolige the next night. Now he has Micheal Kennedy TD calling for Goan to resign. I am sorry but regardless of the hurt and offence taken by his family he has blown this way out of proportion.

If it was any politican I would feel the same way, guess what if your head of state warn your family that you will have critics and satirist after you.

Elmo you are making assumptions there about Kennedy.
    Politicians aren't the best at being subtle in doing things to lick up to their party masters.

Calling on Goan to resign for this is a tad ott to say the least.

As for making a phone call to make the complaint,thats neither here nor there,it's the way governments make complaints.
    It's not the norm for them to go through the usual procedure and in fact as a government it's courtesy for them to make the approach directly.

The fact of the matter is, that if the complaint was made through the ordinary channels it would have required the same result.
    It's a cut and shut case of withdrawing from the remit of news reporting on a newscast and taking the píss out of someone.
    Fairs fair.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0325/1224243368658.html
    The fact of the matter is, that if the complaint was made through the ordinary channels it would have required the same result.

The BCC may have made the same decision but that doesn't mean that RTE should talk to anyone in the Dept of An Taoisecht relating to some non-story that they choose to report on, as I said they sent the Fluff Corrospondent to do the report.

What if RTÉ had not appoligised? Should they then have gone to the BCC?

If RTE hadn't apologised as I see it on foot of the phone call,then they would have had to do so eventually on foot of a BCC decision on the matter.Now tbh they have more cop on than letting it go to that.
    I don't see any other possible outcome from viewing the actual original RTE report.
    Theres no getting away from the fact that it joined in the sarcasm rather than just reporting it.
    I'm pretty sure it's not allowed in a news cast to create derision as opposed to just reporting it.

If RTE hadn't apologised as I see it on foot of the phone call,then they would have had to do so eventually on foot of a BCC decision on the matter.Now tbh they have more cop on than letting it go to that.
    I don't see any other possible outcome from viewing the actual original RTE report.
    Theres no getting away from the fact that it joined in the sarcasm rather than just reporting it.
    I'm pretty sure it's not allowed in a news cast to create derision as opposed to just reporting it.

BCC lets not confuse people.

Look the report was done in a humours tone and even the staff at the galleries thought it funny. It was not disrepectful in anyway. and their is nothing to suggest that the BCC would not have seen it as anything other then a humourous report.

I think the Taoiseacht has blown this out of proportion and it is a non-story treated on RTÉ News as a non-story. e.g. .... and finally.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

fricatus wrote: »
    Disgraceful, issuing an apology like that. It's not as if RTE were the ones themselves putting the portraits in there. They just reported - in a fair manner I believe - on an event that happened.

It seems that they presented it as an opportunity for jokes rather than a serious news item. There is a difference between reporting a joke on the news, and the news broadcaseers making a joke. Did they say something about it being "unclear whether Mr Cowen had sat for the portraits himself"?

According to the Irish Examiner, RTE had already pulled the item before the complaints were received, because they themselves thought it was inappropriate.

That being said, the Fianna Fail call for the Director General to resign is nasty and bulllying and completely over the top. It looks as if Fianna Fail have leapt on a complaint, which is justified in itself, to fire a warning shot at RTE. That is worrying. So is the guy on the radio dangling the licence fee as a temptation for the state broadcaster to be subservient to the government of the day.

Fianna Fail seem to have a problem understanding that the State and the Government are not the same thing. To be honest, I'm not sure the other parties would be any better in this regard.

I've already said,why I think the BCC would have had to act.
    News casting is not for creating it's own sarcasm or derision,its for factual reporting and associated comment/analysis.

I'd also agreed that it was suitable as such for an "...and finally" spot.

But where it fell down was RTE News enhancing/getting in on the act on it's own by poking fun at the man.They should have dumped that part for due diligence reasons alone I think.
    I'd also agreed that Cowen should have laughed it off but accept that he may have his family to consider.
    Its an important matter in my book anyway to act at the behest of your families wishes if thats what he did.
    My gut feeling is thats exactly what he did.

Dear Mr. Cowen,

Please find a link to the BCC, www.bcc.ie, should you wish to waste the time of a civil servant I suggested you use the correct ones.

Kind regards,

Great point, Elmo. The whole idea of politicians ringing the broadcaster directly like this is worrying in itself, whether the specific complaint is right or wrong. How can it not be felt as pressure?

• Advertisement

gogglebok wrote: »
    That being said, the Fianna Fail call for the Director General to resign is nasty and bulllying and completely over the top. It looks as if Fianna Fail have leapt on a complaint, which is justified in itself, to fire a warning shot at RTE. That is worrying. So is the guy on the radio dangling the licence fee as a temptation for the state broadcaster to be subservient to the government of the day.

Fianna Fail seem to have a problem understanding that the State and the Government are not the same thing. To be honest, I'm not sure the other parties would be any better in this regard.
    I actually think that part of it says more about Mr Kennedy's lack of common sense in relation to this than anything else.
    It looks to me like a case of engaging mouth before brain.
    In which case it's justice that it should come back to bite him by looking like bullying.

Honestly sometimes I do despair about the feet our politicians put in their mouths sometimes and in this case a lack of savvy in my opinion.

Also again in regards to politicians ringing,it's not as if it's not out in the open or that they know it won't be.
    It's very transparent and the norm.
    By all means though people can complain about that process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Is there no end to political bashing in Ireland these days.

Brian Cowen is the political leader of the country & I for one am disgusted that a serious news program on our national broadcaster should promote this form of insult./ Same goes for Today FM & Ray Darcy who thought it was hilarious. - If it was on a show like podge & rodge, it would be different, even funny.

With the world economy at the bottom and some small shoots of growth starting to appear in the USA we should be behind our politicians and promote Ireland for the decent country it is and show potential inward investors that if they invest in Ireland theywill get a good return.

Instead this form of tripe shows us up to be an uneducated country full of naysayers who would prefer & believe tabloid muck than educated elected officials.

Basically, we're showing ourselves to be the same as Britain. -An uneducated majority with very little belief in ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Disgusted by this whole episode. No matter how angry Cowen might be the smartest move is to laugh it off and sweep it under the carpet. It'll be forgotten about very soon, now it's turned into something 100 times bigger with plenty for the opposition to get their teeth into.

And what the hell are the Gardaí getting involved for? Since when it is a crime to deposit art in an art gallery? I'm eager to find out exactly what crime they are investigating.

Old official Ireland springing in to action here, RTE, politicians, Gardaí all working in sync to minimise any harm done to our esteemed Taoiseach. Police investigating insults delivered to political leaders belongs in African banana republics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

To be fair-it wasn't a piece for the main news in the way it was covered.
    It was a piece for a magazine programme or for the opening of tubridy or for podge and rodge...
    gogglebok wrote: »
    It seems that they presented it as an opportunity for jokes rather than a serious news item.
    Wait, are we talking about the same report here?

This
    is the report that went out on the RTÉ news.

There were no innuendos, no crude jokes; the reporter, Tadhg Enright, covered it as a straightforward news story. The only joke he made was at the beginning, saying something about how the painter obviously thought that Cowen wasn't wearing the trousers in government.

It was exactly the tone that is always used by RTÉ for its 'And finally...' stories.

If it had been gratuitously insulting or derogatory in how it depicted the story then there could have been a case for an apology. But it wasn't. Enright spoke to someone from the gallery about what happened, someone from Adam's Auctioneers about how it wasn't worth anything and spoke about how someone had offered to buy it.

The reason that the Office of An Taoiseach complained is because the story was covered at all.And that's why people have such a huge problem with what happened. RTÉ shouldn't be muzzled for something like this.

Something like this would be on all the news stations in Britain, except perhaps the servile BBC. I guarantee Jon Snow would cover it on his C4 news.

darc wrote: »
    Is there no end to political bashing in Ireland these days.

Brian Cowen is the political leader of the country & I for one am disgusted that a serious news program on our national broadcaster should promote this form of insult./ Same goes for Today FM & Ray Darcy who thought it was hilarious. - If it was on a show like podge & rodge, it would be different, even funny.

With the world economy at the bottom and some small shoots of growth starting to appear in the USA we should be behind our politicians and promote Ireland for the decent country it is and show potential inward investors that if they invest in Ireland theywill get a good return.

Instead this form of tripe shows us up to be an uneducated country full of naysayers who would prefer & believe tabloid muck than educated elected officials.

Basically, we're showing ourselves to be the same as Britain. -An uneducated majority with very little belief in ourselves.

• Advertisement

I actually think that part of it says more about Mr Kennedy's lack of common sense in relation to this than anything else.
    It looks to me like a case of engaging mouth before brain.

Fair enough, you're probably right. Stupidity rather than conspiracy every time.
    Stargal wrote: »

We may not be. I can't watch it at work, so I'm going on what the papers say. But that's never misleading, right?

Stargal wrote: »

The reason that the Office of An Taoiseach complained is because the story was covered at all.And that's why people have such a huge problem with what happened. RTÉ shouldn't be muzzled for something like this.
    How do you know that stargal? or is it just your opinion? Do you have access to the content of the call?
    Secondly where are you on the issue of reporting news as opposed to enhancing satire on the news.
    Theres no leeway there when it involves creating new satire.
    There is recourse when a person is parodied in an extra way by the reporter (and the report) other than what is there in the facts to be reported.

As regards RTE being muzzled or any broadcaster,thats not the issue or even the case here.
    Sarcasm is not muzzled,its free and allowed but not on news casts.
    What is at issue here is whether it is right or wrong to expose people who watch or listen to newscasts to something other than the facts of the news and specifically should a politician be subjected in a newscast to sarcasm over and above whats there to be reported.
    The answer is no.

Should the Tribune Say sorry to?

Also I always find Ursla Halligan to be very sarastic, should she say sorry to everyone?

Newspapers operate under different rules Elmo

You should be aware that it's a lot more difficult to get a broadcast licence than open a newspaper ;)

As for Ursella Halligan-only if theres a genuine complaint.

Edit just to clarify...
    My little wink above is in reference to the fact that I know Elmo posts a lot on ICDG so would be aware of that fact.It's not to mean that I'm suggesting political interference in broadcast licence decisions!

While I'm here I may aswell reiterate for the umpteenth time that the difference between print media and TV/Radio newscasts is that the latter aren't allowed to be a mouth piece for political views,they can only report facts and interpret them.
    Even their reporters interpretations can be scrutinised.
    Newspapers on the other hand comparatively speaking have much more free reign as to giving a view on a topic including running opinion pieces for example on their front page as they often do.

Newspapers operate under different rules Elmo

You should be aware that it's a lot more difficult to get a broadcast licence than open a newspaper ;)

Look this is what I have being saying. If Cowen felt the need to complain he should have contacted the different rules that broadcasters operate under, the BCC would be happy to help. I am sure the head of BCC would love to have his name in the paper.

As for Ursla she gave the Minister for Ed a grade F on one report, surely this is flippent, in a so called serious news report.

Look this is what I have being saying. If Cowen felt the need to complain he should have contacted the different rules that broadcasters operate under, the BCC would be happy to help. I am sure the head of BCC would love to have his name in the paper.
    And I'm saying it's not the Norm.
    If you want to change the norm,then it's perfectly acceptable to be taking that position and what you have said so far is consistant with wishing to do so but I think you should accept what is the norm first obviously and that you think it needs to be changed.
    There are plenty of examples of it.
    As for Ursla she gave the Minister for Ed a grade F on one report, surely this is flippent, in a so called serious news report.
    She'd only be commenting on something he was doing in office there presumably.Thats acceptable.
    [EDIT]Mind you we could be here all night discussing individual examples as no doubt there is a line whereby TV shows cannot cross regarding political advocacy.Thats something I'd rather not get into,fascinating a topic as it is...as I've more pressing work here to get on with :) [/edit]

If she gave Cowen an F for his body in the portrait...that would be a different matter and yes justifiably actionable from a programme complaiunts point of view I think.

And I'm saying it's not the Norm.
    If you want to change the norm,then it's perfectly acceptable to be taking that position and what you have said so far is consistant with wishing to do so but I think you should accept what is the norm first obviously and that you think it needs to be changed.
    There are plenty of examples of it.

She'd only be commenting on something he was doing in office there presumably.Thats acceptable.

If she gave Cowen an F for his body in the portrait...that would be a different matter and yes justifiably actionable from a programme complaiunts point of view I think.

The norm = A normal person contacting the BCC to make a complaint in relation to what they consider bad taste in relation to an item regarding a nude painting of An Taoisceach.
    Not the norm = A nude painting of An Taoiseach, that AT is embarrest by. He can then ring the DG :rolleyes: but not the editor of a national broadsheet newspaper.

I can't really remember what the F was for I just thought it was a stupid way to report something. And she basically called the Minister a Failure, I have never seen anyone call any minister a Failure on the TV when reporting the news have you? Surely she was out of the norm.

This was the norm I don't give a care who you are but you don't call the DG or CEO with a complaint.

No Elmo,the norm I am referring to is what is normally always done by our elected representatives/government.

Thats an entirely different concept to you or anyone else objecting to what is normally done by them.

Artist could face charges relating to Taoiseach nudes
    25/03/2009 - 17:04:39 - Source: http://iol.breakingnews.ie/news/ireland/eyaueyauidau/

The artist behind nude paintings of Irish Taoiseach Brian Cowen which were hung in two of the country’s top public galleries could face criminal charges, it was revealed today.

The 35-year-old school teacher, named as Conor Casby, was tracked down to his south Dublin home after investigators scoured CCTV footage of the prank.

The Government sucessfully requested State broadcaster RTÉ apologise for its coverage, while a detective called yesterday at the studios of a national radio station to demand details of email contacts with the artist.

Many Government representatives have spent time today defending the move on radio talk shows, as well as refuting claims that they should have a sense of humour about the incident and concentrate on more important issues such as the economy.

The controversy has now garnered widespread publicity, even achieving international coverage.

A Garda source revealed that Casby was not arrested but voluntarily accompanied investigators to Pearse Street garda station in central Dublin yesterday to be interviewed.

A file is being prepared, which could be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

“We have to go through the statements and everything and if there is any indication of criminality – and there is a lot of debate about this – we’ll have to send it to the DPP,” the source said.

Another senior Garda source said it was unlikely that any charges would be brought, however.

The unflattering paintings were hung in the National Gallery of Ireland and the Royal Hibernian Academy (RHA) gallery – both within a stone’s throw of the Taoiseach’s offices – almost three weeks ago.

One shows a naked Mr Cowen seated on a toilet and holding a toilet roll, while the other shows the Taoiseach holding his underpants.

Both have been seized by the Garda, but Casby, in a “final comment” on the matter issued to the Today FM radio station this morning, said he hoped to auction them off to the highest bidder and donate the proceeds to charity.

A detective called at the radio station’s studios yesterday to demand details of emails between the artist and the Ray D’Arcy show.

Will Hanafin, the show’s producer, said the detective told him the investigation was looking at three potential offences of indecency, incitement to hatred and criminal damage, which was hammering a nail into a gallery wall.

“He was very friendly, very nice, but he said the powers that be wanted it done,” Mr Hanafin said of the detective.

Rest of article:
    When he refused to hand over any information, Mr Hanafin said he was told the Garda may now seek a search warrant.

RTÉ issued an apology last night at the end of its 'Nine News' programme over its television report the previous evening “on the illicit hanging of caricatures of the Taoiseach”.

It said it received a number of complaints, including one from the Taoiseach’s office.
    The state broadcaster apologised for any personal offence caused to Mr Cowen or his family and for any disrespect shown to the office of the Taoiseach.

In a statement to Today FM this morning, Casby said he “would like to draw an end to this by offering the portraits to the highest bidder and donate the proceeds to charity”.

“In terms of the arguments going on in the media now, I think they’re less and less to do with me,” he said.

“As much as I can say about it is that it’s interesting for me to see things like this develop through the media from a viewpoint other than that of punter.”

Fine Gael justice spokesman Charlie Flanagan tonight branded the investigation a gross affront to freedom of expression and a waste of Garda time.

“The way this matter has been handled is more reminiscent of Russia in the 1930s than Ireland in 2009,” he said.

Mr Flanagan said it was a “scandalous waste of resources” for detectives to be probing “what amounted to a practical joke that offended the Taoiseach’s ego”.

“Today FM has clearly come under pressure to hand over emails about this matter while RTÉ News was obviously browbeaten into a grovelling apology,” he said.

“Freedom of expression is fundamental in a democracy.

“As politicians, we are frequently subject to unflattering comment and depiction but that is part and parcel of being a politician living in a free society.

“The Taoiseach’s over-reaction to what amounted to satire is completely over the top.”

What a joke, waste of time and money.

1 Incitement? ......to what exactly?

2 Indecency? .....hmmm....every newspaper and magazine editor in the country would be in doing hard time if that was enforced as a crime these days.

3 Criminal damage? .....I'd imagine there would need to be some intent on his part to cause damage. There was absolutely no intent to damage any property.

If I were him I'd have refused to speak to the Gardai. He could have offered 50 euro to the gallery as a gesture of goodwill towards the structural damage to the building caused by his nail but thats about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement