Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambivalent about babies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

cena wrote: »
    I have just turned 36. No kids or partner/wife yet. I would love to have at least one or two by now. I would make a great dad.

Their is always fostering or adoption

I vaguely remember someone on here recently mentioning that 35 is the cut off age for adoption here, and its a lengthy process. Besides that, its not really how fostering or adoption work in Ireland - they are more as a support for children in need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

cena wrote: »

Their is always fostering or adoption

There isn't always fostering or adoption.

Please don't rely on that. This is 2021, babies are not harvested from single mothers anymore. You can count the number of stranger adoptions that take place on one hand these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I'd never consider fostering or adoption as options, as there seems to be so many hoops to jump through and I'm nowhere near settled i.e married with a mortgage and two pensionable jobs.

A friend of mine is 30, single and really broody. She's decided if she hasn't met someone she'd see herself having kids with by 2022, she'll go the sperm donor route alone. When I had my fertility checked a few months ago, I learned about the process, timeline and costs associated with that. I think that's a far more viable option than fostering/adoption these days.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Fostering and adopting are wonderful aspirations - but the threshold a prospective parent needs to meet is very high. That's as it should be, because it's putting the needs of the child to the forefront of the process. As well as that, there's very few newborns up for adoption, the children that are up for adoption have a complicated past and very often would have issues as a result of their biological family or their stints in care. So the priority is placing them with a family that could cope with behavioural issues and possibly work extensively with professionals to resolve them. Social welfare reforms has meant that mothers are supported by the state to keep their babies rather than surrender them to care - which is something we should be proud of.

It can take years to become approved for adoption and while it used to be that a quick trip to Eastern Europe or China after that got you your family, those routes have been closed down. History has shown us that adoption has had significant impacts on the adoptee - especially if there was any secrecy or concealment at play. Even the success stories, have people who still feel marginalised due to not being able to get their own birth cert, or their lack of rights as to regards their birth family.

Probably the easiest way of hedging your bets would be to freeze eggs/sperm for future use. But then surrogacy is another ethical minefield...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

36 for a man isn't old when it comes to having children, obviously as you get older you may have to aim for a younger partner but being a dad is still an option for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

For me, the question has become less “do I want a baby” and more “do I want to commit to raising a child”. Babies are cute and sweet and cuddly and squishy - of course they’re appealing!

What, for me, is not appealing is the long term realities of raising a child. Sure, there are amazing parts, but it’s bloody hard, and one needs to think about the good AND bad aspects of parenting, not just in the baby stage, but throughout development into adulthood.

My perception is definitely skewed because I work in healthcare with children, young people and parents, so I see firsthand every day the less common challenges of parenting and the damage that poor parenting does, so that definitely shapes my view.

But, for me, at the end of the day, after years and years of bloody hard work, I’m finally in a place where I love my life (at least, my life without the presence of COVID!). I have everything pretty much where I want it and I’m very happy for things to stay this way. I’m always open to changing my mind but I’m feeling really comfortable in my decision to be child free these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

@Faith, that is exactly how I'm feeling. I've been feeling unenthused at the idea of having kids for a few years now and thought maybe the broodiness would hit and change my mind. I think that broodiness has actually hit in a way - I want a baby, in that maternal instinct kind of way. I want to be pregnant and I want a baby to cuddle and smell and have that newborn baby bubble. I'm actually having dreams about having a baby so it feels like my uterus is screaming at me :pac:
    But, I don't want a 4/8/12 year old! Having actual small people to parent just doesn't really appeal to me and honestly, I don't think I'd enjoy it. I like my freedom now and I think I'd hate the routines of school runs, homework, bedtime etc. And I think kids deserve better than someone who resents being a parent at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Baby Ambivalence

@thecool I was the opposite, I didn't mind the idea of parenting a kid that can feed themselves, express themselves verbally and wipe their own bum. The utter dependence of the baby phase left me feeling cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 arex93

There are still many children for adoption in my country (the abortion is illegal and the state does not offer assistance to single parents). The process also takes years, but there is no cut age and no costs. But I cannot adopt a child from my country if I live abroad. And I naively thought of adopting in Ireland without knowing the reality of the country. Fortunately, there are no abandon children here.

I never considered freezing my eggs because of the costs with no guarantee of results. And It does not please me the idea of submitting myself to a high level of hormones. But I think this is the best way under my circumstances if I take too long to start a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 arex93

@thecool I was the opposite, I didn't mind the idea of parenting a kid that can feed themselves, express themselves verbally and wipe their own bum. The utter dependence of the baby phase left me feeling cold.

Same. Well, babies are cute and I would like to have experience with a newborn. But they are so dependent, it scares me.

When I think about my children, I think on them with the age of 5-10... I like the idea of raising a child, educate them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Rmgblue

So I find myself here sharing all the same concerns worries and wonders.
    I have just made an appointment to talk to someone about my options.
    I am almost 36 and not where I want to be in my career. Selfish or not I will not get this job if I am pregnant/have a child. Apart from this I'm just not ready. Having a child for the sake of it doesn't sit right with me. I do know I want one but am certain I'm not ready. A family member recently under went cancer treatment and so was left with no other option to have her eggs frozen. I am giving this full consideration. Its scary too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think if I were set up in a stable job, a partner and a decent house I'd be struggling more with the decision. In a way, it's a bit of a relief that fate has taken it out of my hands as I'm living in a houseshare in London.

I've been to the homes of friends and relatives and seen the nice side of it but I've also seen struggling parents in museums and the like with squealing children running around and it looks like hell when it's like that.

There's a really nice line at the start of this thread by Doozer T6 that asks how upset you'd be if you were told you couldn't have children. I think I'd be devastated if I never got to travel any more or suffer a steep reduction in my alone time but having children I think I can live without. It's not nice to think that there'll be nobody to look after you but spending several years of your life on a partial countermeasure is a bad idea IMO. I just became and uncle and I've no interest in my niece/nephew. I think my answer is there somewhere.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I'm the same. I have zero interest in babies. I don't see the appeal at all (I don't get the whole "new baby smell" thing). You can't interact with them on any sort of meaningful level. From the sounds of it, they just keep you up all night and you spend your whole time trying to clean/feed/comfort them. It sounds utterly miserable to me.

But kids! Kids I like. You can talk to kids. Play with them. Teach them things. Have a proper conversation with them. Help them with their problems.

I'm 35 and still don't feel broody for babies. I'm worried if I don't have a baby soon though, I'll never have a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Baby Ambivalence

woodchuck wrote: »
    (I don't get the whole "new baby smell" thing). You can't interact with them on any sort of meaningful level. From the sounds of it, they just keep you up all night and you spend your whole time trying to clean/feed/comfort them. It sounds utterly miserable

Now that I've joined the ranks of the breeders I can exclusively reveal the new baby smell is a myth. To be completely honest, the most noticeable smells I found with new parenthood was my own sweat (I sweated buckets for the first few months) and milk. Funnily enough the poo was fairly benign to begin with. The early baby months can be tough going but once they start to be aware of their surroundings its more enjoyable. Watching them learn and grow is fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I put a good bit of thought into this topic recently as well. I absolutely adore my neices and nephews, maybe too much. I worry for their future and dont want the big bad world to get them, just want to wrap them up forever from it. Of course i know thats not healthy, i think there is definte broodiness coming out of me naturally now at 37 and has been since around 32. But the thought of having a baby scares me stiff, the thoughts of giving up free time to myself is a non runner. I also have the problem or perhaps the blessing of never having been in a relationship yet, i had lots of chances but something kept holding me back.

There was one girl 4 years ago whome i seen for 3 months max but she ghosted me so that was that. I was activly trying to woo two other girs whome i would have gladly tried a relationship with but it went no further than teh shift for a few weeks at a time. There have been other women who are seriously wanting me to get into a relationship with but i really wasnt mad into them the way i should be to embark in a relationship. I am so confused now about what exxactly a relationship is i suppose i am miles from embarking on wondering if i should have children.

In all seriousness i wonder how the Covid scenario will play out in a few years re. babies born, weddings etc will we see a big gap there from the time singletons couldnt hook up naturally in places like coppers etc. surely this is still where many relationships first fire from or indeed babies concived. Like how many people on this thread would have met a partner in a nightclub, on a random night , perhaps in a place where if you had been in some other pub or not out at all you would not have met. A sliding doors moment?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Now that I've joined the ranks of the breeders I can exclusively reveal the new baby smell is a myth. To be completely honest, the most noticeable smells I found with new parenthood was my own sweat (I sweated buckets for the first few months) and milk. Funnily enough the poo was fairly benign to begin with. The early baby months can be tough going but once they start to be aware of their surroundings its more enjoyable. Watching them learn and grow is fascinating.

I could only ever smell it on other babies, never my own one. But other people who cuddled him got the new baby smell off him. I got a smell all right, but the closest I can describe is that if you blindfolded me and lined up a rake of babies, I'd know 'his' smell. It was weird, considering I probably used exactly the same soap/ shampoo or wipes on him. I just came to the conclusion that there was some sort of genetic thing to ensure we could recognise our own babies. Even now when the baby years are long past,I still would pick him out blindfolded in a sniff test. And it's not something that's affected by soap/dirt. If he is a mucky scruffer or newly scrubbed out of the bath, I get that olfactory recognition. It's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Neyite wrote: »
    I could only ever smell it on other babies, never my own one. But other people who cuddled him got the new baby smell off him. I got a smell all right, but the closest I can describe is that if you blindfolded me and lined up a rake of babies, I'd know 'his' smell. It was weird, considering I probably used exactly the same soap/ shampoo or wipes on him. I just came to the conclusion that there was some sort of genetic thing to ensure we could recognise our own babies. Even now when the baby years are long past,I still would pick him out blindfolded in a sniff test. And it's not something that's affected by soap/dirt. If he is a mucky scruffer or newly scrubbed out of the bath, I get that olfactory recognition. It's mad.

My mother could smell it every time I got a sinus infection growing up, which was a lot. Nobody else noted the smell, but my mother could.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Dickie10 wrote: »
    In all seriousness i wonder how the Covid scenario will play out in a few years re. babies born, weddings etc will we see a big gap there from the time singletons couldnt hook up naturally in places like coppers etc. surely this is still where many relationships first fire from or indeed babies concived. Like how many people on this thread would have met a partner in a nightclub, on a random night , perhaps in a place where if you had been in some other pub or not out at all you would not have met. A sliding doors moment?
    I met my husband at a party. Thrown by a work colleague I wasn't very good friends with. I remember standing outside the front door in two minds about whether I'd go in. Someone came up behind me and rang the bell so I couldn't exactly run off as the door opened immediately! I decided to give it an hour, met someone I knew and stayed longer and then got talking to my now husband. He was supposed to be somewhere else that night but agreed to tag along with his brother for an hour.

lazygal wrote: »
    I met my husband at a party. Thrown by a work colleague I wasn't very good friends with. I remember standing outside the front door in two minds about whether I'd go in. Someone came up behind me and rang the bell so I couldn't exactly run off as the door opened immediately! I decided to give it an hour, met someone I knew and stayed longer and then got talking to my now husband. He was supposed to be somewhere else that night but agreed to tag along with his brother for an hour.

Wow thats a bit crazy. Had any small detail not happened you may never have met. Must be some amount of those moments gone into the ether the last 12 months when you think of it. i would find it very hard to believe there are many who met Long Term people in libraries/coffee shops/gyms/hiking.
    I wonder how exactly Europeans meet each other in cafe style bars where you dont stray from your table or get up and dance or mingle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's definitely a real sliding doors moment for us! I remember that night so well, driving from a lecture and feeling a bit rubbish and wondering if I would bother going, then last minute pulling into the house and going to the door. I could easily have kept on driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I honestly don't know what I want, as I've never had a relationship, so I think to myself, how could I know? On the one hand, I sometimes think I'd love a baby but I've never had that maternal feeling and this is probably down to me never having been in a relationship? Anybody else here who hasn't much relationship experience that feels this way? I'm 35 now, 36 in May so time isn't exactly on my side if I do want kids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

leahyl wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what I want, as I've never had a relationship, so I think to myself, how could I know? On the one hand, I sometimes think I'd love a baby but I've never had that maternal feeling and this is probably down to me never having been in a relationship? Anybody else here who hasn't much relationship experience that feels this way? I'm 35 now, 36 in May so time isn't exactly on my side if I do want kids :(

Yes I know exactly how that feels, I mentioned similar in an earlier post on this thread. It's a weird feeling to be this age (I'm 46) and to never have developed that bond with someone where I could see them as the father of my child(ren). It's just an abstract theory to me. Now that (realistically) any chance of having a family has passed for me, and I also never wanted to 'go it alone', I do feel regret for what could have been. But even that feeling of regret is somewhat abstract because I never once even got to consider/talk about starting a family with anyone, thus it was never a concrete idea in my head. Does that even make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Covid has really affirmed my decision to not have children. It’s such a relief!
    Though I find I’m getting a lot more ‘pity’ and having to defend my lifestyle a lot more lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Addle wrote: »
    Covid has really affirmed my decision to not have children. It’s such a relief!
    Though I find I’m getting a lot more ‘pity’ and having to defend my lifestyle a lot more lately.

That is horrible that people cannot just respect your decision and not feel like you are lacking in anything.
    I love my children and always wanted them but I do fantasise about what a child- free lockdown would be like!

i have never had a relationship either outside of a couple of dates for say 6-8 weeks , had a huge amount of chances but girls i was very attracted to didnt recipricote after a date or to. others that really wabted to date me just didnt enliven me hugely. its actually a vicous circle im 37 now and absolutley terriffied of a relationship, im so used to my own company. I love socialising but actually nowhalf liking lockdown and soberiety. i havent touched alchohol since september 28th, not even christmas. but i have thrown myself completely into my work even family have noticed that. its strangely comforting being in top gear and in control work wise, so i kind of love the lockdown as its got rid of the frivolus side of life, but know its unhealthy.

The thought of a relationship also scares me which i worry about what the heck is up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

That is horrible that people cannot just respect your decision and not feel like you are lacking in anything.
    I love my children and always wanted them but I do fantasise about what a child- free lockdown would be like!

I’d imagine it would be much less stressful ... and very boring !

fits wrote: »
    I’d imagine it would be much less stressful ... and very boring !

I'm curious why you think there would be a difference in the level of boredom experienced between childfree households and households with children?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Faith wrote: »
    I'm curious why you think there would be a difference in the level of boredom experienced between childfree households and households with children?

I’m just busy the whole time. I lived abroad on my own in an apartment in Finland a few years ago and on winter weekends there was sometimes close to nothing to do. It’s a very different experience.

• Advertisement

I think the ability to feel entertained is more about personality than children, tbh. I don't find I feel particularly bored during lockdown, but I might feel frustrated that I can't do all the things I'd like to do. Equally I've heard plenty of my friends with kids complain about unrelenting boredom.

Advertisement