Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burning the Poppy - A thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Came across this on Twitter.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7664271/Outrage-video-young-woman-burning-poppy-emerges-ahead-Remembrance-Sunday.html

I've found it fascinating, for a number of reasons.

I think she shouldn't have.

You?

#sexchat

No fan of British soldiers, anyone of them working here should go back in a box etc etc.

Scummy thing to do by her.

Rich kid shock jock activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The outrage over this has just given poppy haters a new way to annoy the poppy fascists.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

She’s a dickhead for burning the poppy but so are a lot of the people outraged by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Saw Louis Walsh wearing a poppy on tv earlier.

After the old knighthood eh Louis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

So she’s paid the money for the poppy (which is what it’s really about) and burned it. Reminds me of people in the US that bought the NWA album just to destroy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Saw Louis Walsh wearing a poppy on tv earlier.

After the old knighthood eh Louis?

First time watching British television?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭Damien360

Wearing the poppy in the UK is approaching cult status. Woe betide anyone that fails to follow the cult and show their allegiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

First time watching British television?
    Don't usually watch any of those sh1te Satuday evening "talent" shows,no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That over privileged arsehole mustn’t have the intelligence to comprehend what it would have been like to have one hand on that ladder,hearing that whistle knowing it’s certain death

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

What's she doing in England? No one would be overjoyed if a fordiner were in ireland burning an Irish symbol like a harp or nell mccafferty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

That over privileged arsehole mustn’t have the intelligence to comprehend what it would have been like to have one hand on that ladder,hearing that whistle knowing it’s certain death

Or shooting protesters in Derry, Kenya, India etc. etc.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Freedom of speech. Its like something the DUP would do though ..only to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

People love moaning about the poppy, as if they were directly involved in any altercation with the British army themselves. The majority of these eegits have no interest in history but instead just love stirring ****e.

fatknacker wrote: »
    What's she doing in England? No one would be overjoyed if a fordiner were in ireland burning an Irish symbol like a harp or nell mccafferty
    I think she is english.

If she is Irish she shouldn't have done it. If she is English (which i think she is) freedom of speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The bottom line is that without the sacrifice of thousands of young British, American and Russian soldiers we would be living under Nazi rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭Damien360

Edgware wrote: »
    The bottom line is that without the sacrifice of thousands of young British, American and Russian soldiers we would be living under Nazi rule.

I think it covers WW1 also and all subsequent British soldiers lives in various conflicts. Is it not principally Battle of the Somme ?

Agree 100% with you but the poppy is pushed so hard down everyone’s throat and is very “in your face” that it borders on ridiculous. Yes remember but put away the flegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That aside, the fact is that the poppy does not refer to only WWII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

If she is Irish she shouldn't have done it. If she is English (which i think she is) freedom of speech.

The freedom of speech thing applies to the Irish too, no?

Damien360 wrote: »
    I think it covers WW1 also and all subsequent British soldiers lives in various conflicts. Is it not principally Battle of the Somme ?

Agree 100% with you but the poppy is pushed so hard down everyone’s throat and is very “in your face” that it borders on ridiculous. Yes remember but put away the flegs.
    I agree with you there that it is has gone overboard but from an Irish view we really have not commemorated the thousands of young Irishmen slaughtered in Flanders or Galipoli.
    They werent pro British. They were just young lads looking for adventure or wanting to put food on the table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I agree with you there that it is has gone overboard but from an Irish view we really have not commemorated the thousands of young Irishmen slaughtered in Flanders or Galipoli.
    They werent pro British. They were just young lads looking for adventure or wanting to put food on the table

"'Twas Brittania bade our wild geese go
    That small nations might be free
    But their lonely graves are by Suvla's waves
    On the shore of the gray North Sea
    But had they died by Pearse's side
    Or fought with Cathal Brugha
    Their names we would keep where the Fenians sleep"

🙈🙉🙊

Achasanai wrote: »
    The freedom of speech thing applies to the Irish too, no?

In our case i have noticed its more a case of freedom to be a dick.

"'Twas Brittania bade our wild geese go
    That small nations might be free
    But their lonely graves are by Suvla's waves
    On the shore of the gray North Sea
    But had they died by Pearse's side
    Or fought with Cathal Brugha
    Their names we would keep where the Fenians sleep"
    Lovely song but not much use agaist the Luftwaffe when they flew in against Poland Holland Belgium and France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

It was brought up in the dail in the past week that just 3% of newly recruited gardai were sent to Cork. There is a huge shortage of gardai in Cork and this is the type of activity they simply cannot respond to in numbers .

I've found it fascinating, for a number of reasons.

As a Corkman who lived in Derry for a long number of years and a republican for 40+ years no excuse for what she did,unless she has mental issues etc , maybe she's a silly attention seeker ,what next burn a few churches, synagogues,etc etc,she'd need to learn a bit about life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Don't see the big deal...the poppy represents people who have murdered innocent people in Northern Ireland and across the middle East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wearing the poppy in the UK is approaching cult status. Woe betide anyone that fails to follow the cult and show their allegiance.

It's not actually.

It's only really worn by a small minority.

But its worn by near 99% of people on tv, that's why we all think the whole country is wearing them.

I watched a couple of interviews on British tv over the last couple of days. One was at a train station and the other on a high street. It was very rare to see anyone in the background with a poppy.

I was in Belfast today. In case people don't know, there would be a lot of unionists there. I think I see maybe less than 10 people wearing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think she is english.

She sounds Irish to me but she does not speak long enough to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So the video is a year old and she has apologised for it.

DM stuck for stories to be outraged about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭mattser

The big hitters haven't arrived on thread yet. Busy racking up numbers on other posts I'd guess.
    Give them time...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

She's from Limerick, case solved. Close thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

yak yak yak...

bury the hate not the people, that is all.

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's not actually.

But its worn by near 99% of people on tv, that's why we all think the whole country is wearing them.

I watched a couple of interviews on British tv over the last couple of days. One was at a train station and the other on a high street. It was very rare to see anyone in the background with a poppy.

I was in Belfast today. In case people don't know, there would be a lot of unionists there. I think I see maybe less than 10 people wearing one.

Talking through your hole as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's something going wrong in your life if you get worked up about someone calling themselves Miss Feral Bap Queen burning a bit of plastic.

She's deleted her account and someone calling themselves "Not an entitled irish millenial snowflake" is using her Twitter handle. It keeps him off the streets I suppose.

There's something going wrong in your life if you get worked up about someone calling themselves Miss Feral Bap Queen burning a bit of plastic.

She's deleted her account and someone calling themselves "Not an entitled irish millenial snowflake" is using her Twitter handle. It keeps him off the streets I suppose.
    Anyone going up the ra and burning the poppy in this day and age in this country IS a self entitled millennial ..with zero class.

She's an 18 or 19 year old girl burning a plastic flower. Someone took over her Twitter handle solely to devote his time to posting shite about her because he hates 'snowflakes'. That's a great way to prove your non-snowflake credentials alright.

494898.png

• Advertisement

People are funny.

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's not actually.

We believe you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Personally I have associated the wearing of the Poppy as tacit support of the British armed forces, I know it is supposedly in reference to the fallen of WWI and conflicts onwards but that's my opinion and I will never wear one or support the wearing of same and that includes the bull**** that clown from Roscommon is promoting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

She's an 18 or 19 year old girl burning a plastic flower. Someone took over her Twitter handle solely to devote his time to posting shite about her because he hates 'snowflakes'. That's a great way to prove your non-snowflake credentials alright.

494898.png
    I swear, the loonbags out there. And plenty here too.
    Talking through your hole as usual
    We believe you
    Are you ok? You could have quoted it just once. And what is so unbelievable about it? Oh yeah, nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

And there wouldn't have been any Nazis if the same crowd hadn't gone on a d1ck measuring excercise in WW1.
    The poppy craic has gone peak insanity at this stage. Of course it is fulfilling its duty of priming the next generation of men and women as cannon fodder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Without context your comment is utter bollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

For sure. When did the mass wearing of poppies on British TV begin? I don’t remember it from my childhood.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Is it the oul war poppy worship season over there already. Well holy god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

She was a bit naive to do what she did. There was no need for it.

But,the poppy means different things to different folks. I have folks who fought in WW1 and Folks in the War Of Independence.Personally I despise violence. But ,that's easy for me to say.

I've worked with Chinese folks,and watched on at the disgust in their faces when somebody showed up to a meeting with a Poppy on their lapel. No offence was intended ,but the innocence of the wearer told me that British folks interpret the Poppy in ways that others do not. Like folks in Derry or other places in this world.

I know what you mean by your post,and how you want to honour those folks.It is coming from a decent place.That poor lad climbing the ladder should be recognised.

Maybe others ,who are not enamoured of the wearing of the poppy,are also coming from a decent place.Maybe their story's/ or uninvited situation (like bloody Sunday/Opium Wars/Kenya etc.) should be honoured too.

That is the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    For sure. When did the mass wearing of poppies on British TV begin? I don’t remember it from my childhood.

As far back as 2006, Jon Snow (the Channel 4 newsreader, not the The Game of Thrones character) was complaining about the fascistic response to his choice not to wear a poppy (a choice consistent with his refusal to wear an AIDS ribbon, a breast cancer ribbon, a Marie Curie flower, a Red Cross, any other symbol) while reading the news.

It's a mad country, England... getting madder by the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Attention seeking eejit though. And I don't agree with the "I defend her right to do it" stuff. Well I suppose she can, but others have the right to criticise her.

Apparently her parents got harassed over it though - nut-jobs who'd do that over someone being disrespectful haven't a brain cell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

When you have privileged retards that take their liberty for granted, without strive nor hardships, this is what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I swear, the loonbags out there. And plenty here too.

Are you ok? You could have quoted it just once. And what is so unbelievable about it? Oh yeah, nothing.

Edgy most have forgot to log out and log back in with his other sock

Boy Georges lyrics have gone downhill.

494901.png

I was going to reply to him with a bad poem of my own but I decided against it. So it doesn't go to waste I'll post my shitty poem here.

Boy George beat a man with a chain
    He beat in his brain
    He had little remorse
    When it came to humans of course
    But whined about a poppy made of plastic
    Because he was a prick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's not true. Everyone on TV wears them but normal people don't
    tend to wear them. I've lived a d worked in the UK during poppy season and most people don't wear them. Some people wear 20 poppies of different kinds and almost none of the people I lived and worked with wore a poppy. It just doesn't arise in normal life - outside of TV or Twitter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement