Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Village87

The Shefflin clan not happy with Evan being omitted i hear. DJ getting the blame as Micheal Carey is in direct competition with Evan Shefflin. I do follow club hurling as much as anyone else and Evan is much the better hurler and much more potential. Not as fit as he could be but that is something that can be worked on. Micheal Carey also got way more chances and has been very average. Disgrace what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Have heard that Matthew McWey from the village was called in 2 weeks ago. Plenty of speed in that lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Looks like Cabin Fever is kicking in for a few posters here!!!
    We have no idea what's going on behind closed doors. The lads dropped/not playing might have the wrong attitude, carrying slight injuries etc... Blaming DJ for having his son on the squad is laughable. I bet the same people would be saying that Conor Fogarty is only on the team if Martin was still involved as a selector. How many of us said in the early days that Jackie Tyrell was only there because he was from the village...and look how that turned out. Give all the lads their chances, Cody gets ALOT more right than wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Codyout

It’s going on all the time go back to Richie Reid one day he gone from panel next day in 26 for league final . Michail Carey nice young hurler has done nothing to say he should be on panel young kenny for the boro played real well while standing in for Buckley he would have deserved a look at but he no selector . Evan Cody had great year for the boro but he had a bad game a few years back against Clare good boy never seeing again . Will history repeat itself for having a bad game against Clare don’t think so he wearing right jersey .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Codyout wrote: »
    It’s going on all the time go back to Richie Reid one day he gone from panel next day in 26 for league final . Michail Carey nice young hurler has done nothing to say he should be on panel young kenny for the boro played real well while standing in for Buckley he would have deserved a look at but he no selector . Evan Cody had great year for the boro but he had a bad game a few years back against Clare good boy never seeing again . Will history repeat itself for having a bad game against Clare don’t think so he wearing right jersey .

What ?!? :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

The biggest joke of all was the way young kelly from olouglins was treated in2016. Any manager that is willing to treat players differently and give preferential treatment to his own club players which he did in 2016 looses the confidence of players . It is not that the players are not there look how easy the shamrocks are making it look . Then again they play real hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Yes all managers/coaches in any sport have their own preferences and tactics, also maybe some players have potential but don't flourish and others don't get the chance they possibly should. What some people are forgetting Cody's cv states otherwise won multiple all irelands, leagues and provinces while Coaching some of the greatest players to grace the game. Maybe his tactics are outdated and the game has moved on yet we could quite easily have won last year's all ireland if the red card wouldn't have happened especially when nobody tipped kilkenny to even get there. Say what you want about tactics and players getting chances but Brian Cody is one of the most successful coaches in ANY sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

Village87 wrote: »
    The Shefflin clan not happy with Evan being omitted i hear. DJ getting the blame as Micheal Carey is in direct competition with Evan Shefflin. I do follow club hurling as much as anyone else and Evan is much the better hurler and much more potential. Not as fit as he could be but that is something that can be worked on. Micheal Carey also got way more chances and has been very average. Disgrace what is going on.

I have to agree about Evan Shefflin, was outstanding for Ballyhale and seemed to get no time for KK seniors and then the chop.
    Now I will say there is a massive step up in intensity from club training to inter county hurling training, but I still find it hard to believe he would be so unfit that he wouldn’t be able to last at the training sessions.

He was bombing up the field for Ballyhale scoring points regularly at club all ireland series.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Have heard that Matthew McWey from the village was called in 2 weeks ago. Plenty of speed in that lad.

That’s not true, same player got regraded for Junior with his club only a few weeks back.

I’m sure Brian McEvoy would agree wholeheartedly with ye all that Cody is bias towards Village men.

Few younger lads the last few years have flirted with the best of both worlds lifestyle, rightly or wrongly it’s cost them.

The reality for last year was we lost league play off . Any other year we would be relegated . Needed officials to get to final . In final got one if the biggest beatings ever by a kilkenny team in a all Ireland . When tipp went down to 14 in all Ireland semi they hurled there way out of it . The less said about Kilkenny effort the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Did some posters not see Evan Shefflin's performances in the latter stages of the Fitzgibbon? He looked knackered and replaced after 15 minutes in the Final. It was said at the time that he was carrying an injury. I would therefore suggest that he, and Shane Walsh who also carried an injury in the club campaign, were advised to go away and give the injuries time to mend. Somebody also hinted that James Maher is sick.

Cody never divulges the reasons for players leaving the panel and in the main that's to their benefit.

Grats wrote: »
    Did some posters not see Evan Shefflin's performances in the latter stages of the Fitzgibbon? He looked knackered and replaced after 15 minutes in the Final. It was said at the time that he was carrying an injury. I would therefore suggest that he, and Shane Walsh who also carried an injury in the club campaign, were advised to go away and give the injuries time to mend. Somebody also hinted that James Maher is sick.

Cody never divulges the reasons for players leaving the panel and in the main that's to their benefit.

In fairness to Evan he was marking the best hurler in the Fitzgibbon cup the Kerry lad Shane Conway.

Surely s few months of inter county hurling would of got his fitness sorted.

Anyway who am I to question Cody, he has seen and done it all and can back it up.

Barely on the village panel last year.

conor05 wrote: »
    In fairness to Evan he was marking the best hurler in the Fitzgibbon cup the Kerry lad Shane Conway.

Anyway who am I to question Cody, he has seen and done it all and can back it up.

He was carrying an injury and that's why he was substituted. Fitness and injury aren't the same. Had he picked up the injury with the County I expect he'd have been looked after at County level. He's better off nursing it back with his club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

He scored two badly needed points for the shamrocks when needed in the club final.

Facts are facts. Any manager with Cody’s record in the last 5 years would be gone .
    The way he messed around padraig Walsh in Wexford park .
    Then you go to thurles v Waterford get a draw from no where then our brain wave to put back on lads that came of injured then left Ollie Walsh on the bench with Jamie Barron running right .
    Then last year there one of the worst management performances in all Ireland final he only bettered in 2016 when he had 2 village lads on bench that he could not play because both were injured they were only there to get medals .! Then he stands on the line watching tipp give us another beating . He has being there and done that all right . When fogarty left him we saw real Cody .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Facts are facts. Any manager with Cody’s record in the last 5 years would be gone .
    The way he messed around padraig Walsh in Wexford park .
    Then you go to thurles v Waterford get a draw from no where then our brain wave to put back on lads that came of injured then left Ollie Walsh on the bench with Jamie Barron running right .
    Then last year there one of the worst management performances in all Ireland final he only bettered in 2016 when he had 2 village lads on bench that he could not play because both were injured they were only there to get medals .! Then he stands on the line watching tipp give us another beating . He has being there and done that all right . When fogarty left him we saw real Cody .

Cha ? Is that you ? :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

What about the guy who takes the frees for the Village? Guilfoyle or close, I probably murdered the spelling.
    I haven't seen a whole lot of the Village but he seems a strong player but unless you see these guys often it's tough to judge how club players will adapt to IC.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Their arguments aren't great but in their defence they are right about our record over the last 5 years. We haven't shown any consistent improvement in our use of the ball and the new players don't appear to be improving to a degree that would inspire confidence in the coaching behind the scenes.

Whereas you look at the teams around us:
    Tipperarys use of the ball is consistently accurate and with a purpose to create goals. Goals goals goals.

Similarly, Limericks use of the ball is consistent in its purpose and is of exceptional quality because they are brilliantly coached and still have their individual moments of flair.

Wexford - can anyone here say that they are not performing greater than the sum of their parts. Whatever your opinion of Davy, and I'm far from a fan, his ability to coach a team is top drawer.

Then you look at us and what is our plan? Win your own battle is not a plan anymore. Its admirable and our players willingness to work plus their natural talent in some cases are the reasons we are still a formidable challenge for anyone. The management deserve credit for continually getting a team to work at that level but, if we were properly coached to a degree where we were a better team than the sum of our parts? Imagine how competitive we could be.

Continual changing of the squad is not going to achieve that. Coaching is.

Broader point in that regard, in light of the current isolation. Twitter pages such as Hurling365 in Wexford, coaching officers in Tipp like Barry Mullane, in Cork like Colm Crowley and other independent coaches like Colm McNally are consistently putting up videos of things juveniles could be doing at home to keep their eye in and just engaging with people on Twitter. Maybe I'm just not following the right people but I haven't seen a single video or anything else from Kilkenny GAA or any of our games development officers on what to do. And while I don't know all the coaches involved with the underage development squads, the ones I am aware of don't inspire confidence. I think as a county we have a severe deficit in quality coaching in comparison to other counties but that's just my opinion.

• Advertisement

I am only putting the facts out there. You can hide from them . Not one person has tried to say what I said were not facts . This year alone we let go young blanchfield top performer under 20 , young Nolan sup for league no game time let go . Young sheflin . James Maher / struggling a bit that’s when a manager shows his worth . What’s the difference between Conor brown and Maher ( jersey ) in last year county final the village people even agree it was a very poor forward display still there 3 of them on county panel

Their arguments aren't great but in their defence they are right about our record over the last 5 years. We haven't shown any consistent improvement in our use of the ball and the new players don't appear to be improving to a degree that would inspire confidence in the coaching behind the scenes.

Whereas you look at the teams around us:
    Tipperarys use of the ball is consistently accurate and with a purpose to create goals. Goals goals goals.

Similarly, Limericks use of the ball is consistent in its purpose and is of exceptional quality because they are brilliantly coached and still have their individual moments of flair.

Wexford - can anyone here say that they are not performing greater than the sum of their parts. Whatever your opinion of Davy, and I'm far from a fan, his ability to coach a team is top drawer.

Then you look at us and what is our plan? Win your own battle is not a plan anymore. Its admirable and our players willingness to work plus their natural talent in some cases are the reasons we are still a formidable challenge for anyone. The management deserve credit for continually getting a team to work at that level but, if we were properly coached to a degree where we were a better team than the sum of our parts? Imagine how competitive we could be.

Continual changing of the squad is not going to achieve that. Coaching is.

Broader point in that regard, in light of the current isolation. Twitter pages such as Hurling365 in Wexford, coaching officers in Tipp like Barry Mullane, in Cork like Colm Crowley and other independent coaches like Colm McNally are consistently putting up videos of things juveniles could be doing at home to keep their eye in and just engaging with people on Twitter. Maybe I'm just not following the right people but I haven't seen a single video or anything else from Kilkenny GAA or any of our games development officers on what to do. And while I don't know all the coaches involved with the underage development squads, the ones I am aware of don't inspire confidence. I think as a county we have a severe deficit in quality coaching in comparison to other counties but that's just my opinion.

Wexford are going to see the fruits of Hurling 365 down the line. The appetite in Wexford from all age levels to get to the very top in hurling is ferocious.

I am not saying it isn’t in Kilkenny, but sometimes when you have a very successful period, the standards can drop off across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KK36

We're too lax in Kilkenny. Jobs for the boys (Ned and Pats boys). very poor work being done with development squads, both in terms of quality and quantity. Even Laois are beating us now. Other counties are now light years ahead of us in terms of the planning, coaching and approach. Ah but shur it's grand, we're Kilkenny. We'll always be the best.

Wexford are going to see the fruits of Hurling 365 down the line. The appetite in Wexford from all age levels to get to the very top in hurling is ferocious.

I am not saying it isn’t in Kilkenny, but sometimes when you have a very successful period, the standards can drop off across the board.
    100%. I've seen a ball wall video with Kevin Foley and another video (possibly a crossbar challenge..) with Andrew Shore without even going looking for it. Great engagement by current players. TJ Reid has done a toilet roll roll lift challenge and got Joey Holden and Padraig Walsh to do it as well. That's it. It's ****e.

https://twitter.com/gaa_donegal/status/1240591561911566337?s=19

Even Donegal GAA have put up more stuff about hurling than Kilkenny.

Two big issues which I think are going to affect Kilkenny over the next 10 years.

1) The current status of our schools hurling.

If you like at our Secondary Schools in Kilkenny we have

Kierans and CBS in A competitions
    Johnstown, Comer and Ferrybank in B competitions
    Callan, Ballyhale, Mooncoin, Duiske, Grennan all in C/D competitions

I spoke with a teacher in one of the C schools recently who told me that barring Kierans and CBS in A and Ferrybank in B, every school in Kilkenny had dropped down a level at some stage over the last few years, he mentioned one school who recently went from A to B with one of the best Senior Squads they had ever had.. the reason they gave was "Kierans are too strong". I think that's a rubbish attitude and a rubbish excuse. Ask any young lad and they will want to hurl at the highest level they possibly can. Some of the teachers involved are simply looking to boost their own profile and ego by trying to win B (Which is by no means an easy feat might I add).

I'd break down our schools into two categories
    1. Competing the best they can at the correct level (given number of hurlers, size of school etc)
    2. Schools dropping down through the divisions to try and win

I do agree however, that we have a very very top heavy situation whereby we've dozens of excellent hurlers warming the benches in Kierans. Even CBS have been hit in recent years, more and more O Loughlins and Boro players are going to Kierans than would have gone a decade ago, ironically from a hurling point of view they'd probably be better off in the CBS. You cannot blame Kierans for this situation, they are not going to turn away students or hurlers, ultimately its up to the other schools to entice them in.

However, I would seriously question some of the coaching in Kierans recent years, given the players theyve had the last few years at senior level youd have to wonder how they didn't win all around them? If you go back through Kierans teams since 2014, how many senior hurlers have they produced for Kilkenny given theyve won 4/5 all Irelands in that time? 7 or 8 out of 80/90 players? No other school in Ireland can call on the same amount of ex county minors and 18/19 year olds with senior club experience as Kierans can year in year out.

The second issue I'd notice which relates to the first in some ways and is an issue within my own club is the amount of underage teams opting to play in B and C with teams that are strong enough to play at a higher grade, a lot of our clubs are for all intents and purposes hiding down in B at u13 and u15 when they should be striving to compete at A with extremely talented teams, last years u13A had 5 teams, B had 16 and C had 17. I understand the fear of a hammering is a very real one but the flip side of it is that by hiding down in a grade that your team is too good for you simply aren't improving your players, it creates a false sense throughout the club.

Agree completely. There was a team in B U15 last year (and I won't name them because its not fair to single them out) who won Div 3 of the National Feile at U14 the year before. I'm sorry but you have to be A if you're winning that. That's not on them, that's on the county board. There has to be 12 teams in A and structure the competition so that your whole year is not over because you get hammered by the Boro or Gowran. If you lose in the first round of championship then there's a secondary competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

I am only putting the facts out there. You can hide from them . Not one person has tried to say what I said were not facts . This year alone we let go young blanchfield top performer under 20 , young Nolan sup for league no game time let go . Young sheflin . James Maher / struggling a bit that’s when a manager shows his worth . What’s the difference between Conor brown and Maher ( jersey ) in last year county final the village people even agree it was a very poor forward display still there 3 of them on county panel

How did you think Conor Browne did against limerick last year in the simi final
    Or dose that not suit your argument. Im afraid evan is just to one paced for the really top level, will win lots with ballyhale but its a big step gerry kelly from borrisoleigh was brought into a tipp training last year and never felt the weight of the ball.all happening to quick for him.as far as i know Maher is happy enough to be gone of panel. Small bit of balance to all your facts all the lads you named would be panellist at best. Kilkenny if we do see a championship this year will be simi finalists and no one bar limerick will be looking forward to that.

Schedule for match on tg4 starting with a cracker 14 drawn gameScreenshot_20200321-113159_Facebook.jpg

• Advertisement

I thought his performance in semi final as a defender great as attacker no good . He just not good enough hurler . Remember it took officials decision to get to all Ireland . His performance in all Ireland way out of his depth. In the last 2 championship Murphy of comer has got the better of him . County final his performance not up to it . If we are to go by how players have performed against Clare in league remember Evan Cody of the boro how he was treated .conor brown good athlete hurling very limited probably same category as Dermot Coady and I have yet to find some one that thinks he deserved to be on Kilkenny panel . Re your comment about semis final if that what you want to see Kilkenny hurling come to I rather loose I want to watch hurlers hurl the ball use there skills just like the shamrocks I think they called it puke football. I have no interest in watching puke hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

I thought his performance in semi final as a defender great as attacker no good . He just not good enough hurler . Remember it took officials decision to get to all Ireland . His performance in all Ireland way out of his depth. In the last 2 championship Murphy of comer has got the better of him . County final his performance not up to it . If we are to go by how players have performed against Clare in league remember Evan Cody of the boro how he was treated .conor brown good athlete hurling very limited probably same category as Dermot Coady and I have yet to find some one that thinks he deserved to be on Kilkenny panel . Re your comment about semis final if that what you want to see Kilkenny hurling come to I rather loose I want to watch hurlers hurl the ball use there skills just like the shamrocks I think they called it puke football. I have no interest in watching puke hurling

Give us what your starting team would be if we were playing championship tomorrow as your such a purist

For a man who is all “facts” you’re talking some rot, Browne was centre forward for the Village all championship, Larkin marked Murphy last year in the park. Secondly you reference Evan Cody again, what about the problems he had dealing with Anthony Owens this year (or do we only judge some players off club games?).

There has never been a Dermot Coady played for Kilkenny although I think I know a man from Myshall with the nameðŸ‘ðŸ»

As a defensive midfielder i would rate him very highly and could be a perfect replacement for fogarty. If we are to start re referring games over the last 10 years you could find plenty occasions where a call this way or that and maybe a different result maybe Donnelly deserved a free the year before and didn't get it limerick go down the field and win the game.truth is kilkenny blew limerick away last year in that game and a shell shocked limerick only started hurling in the second half..i do think they will blow true Munster again this year and us or galway are the only ones who could match them.

Murphy
    Murphy
    Delaney
    Wallace
    mullin
    Deegan
    Buckley
    O walsh
    Lawlor
    Donnely
    Walsh
    Reid
    Cody
    Fennnely
    Hogan
    Would like to have a good look at 2 or 3 from oloughlins under 21 team to me they were the most impressive team I saw last year Bergin from conahy . I would like to have a good look at Jason Cleere and Tom kenny and Aidan Nolan and I would use Murphy as impact sub

Can you stop suggesting Michael Murphy please as it just undermines your argument. He's the wrong side of 30 and while a really good club hurler he just isn't, nor has he ever been, inter county standard. No disrespect to him but there's a difference. A big difference.

Also, Huw Lawlor midfield is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

That team would be savaged by westmeath and Carlow let alone any of the main contenders.

No midfield and little inside forwards

Can you stop suggesting Michael Murphy please as it just undermines your argument. He's the wrong side of 30 and while a really good club hurler he just isn't, nor has he ever been, inter county standard. No disrespect to him but there's a difference. A big difference.

Also, Huw Lawlor midfield is ridiculous.

Totally agree. And again with no disrespect to P Walsh, he hasn't been great with his Club - Fact.

Murphy
    Murphy
    Delaney
    Wallace
    mullin
    Deegan
    Buckley
    O walsh
    Lawlor
    Donnely
    Walsh
    Reid
    Cody
    Fennnely
    Hogan
    Would like to have a good look at 2 or 3 from oloughlins under 21 team to me they were the most impressive team I saw last year Bergin from conahy . I would like to have a good look at Jason Cleere and Tom kenny and Aidan Nolan and I would use Murphy as impact sub

Well at last you give us your team and despite your heavy criticism of Brian Cody you have just one different player - O Walsh!!!!! Even the subs you mention have been in the panel.

So for all your arguing you contribute nothing when it's put up to you.

I did not argue with anyone all I said as long as Cody goes down the road he is going we going nowhere . As for one difference I did not mention Leahy Murphy, keogan ,brown . Scanlon ,Walter Walsh bill Sheehan. Bill Ryan Carey ,Tommy Walsh ,Brazil Michail Cody , these are the lads I saw . No point in having lads on panel when you don’t give them chance . As for Padraig Walsh I saw him on numerous occasions play well at centre forward particularly against Ballyragget in what was one of the great games It’s what tj Would benefit from playing along side him . If the inside forward line is no good well we’re ****ed because hogan and fennely will be there and after looking at young Coady against Laois he looked so far above all others . As for midfield well can only go by what I see and listening to people that are involved with these players for Ollie The village man mark him for the last few years . Destroyed Leahy in Gowran last year and that’s from the rower lads Ans is the best passer of a ball bar none and as for Lawlor well oloughlins must know best there again saw him 2 least year against Bridge in Gowan and the ground he covered and ball he moved . He struggling at fullback at moment

Was thinking about this earlier and said I'd throw it up here to see what the masses think.

What would your Kilkenny Club Team of the Decade be? (With a heavy senior bias)

Goalkeeper

Goalie is a very hard position to pick and one of the primary reasons for this is that our inter county goalie for most of the last decade plays outfield with his club so a usual strong candidate is immediately gone. Looking at senior since 2010 a few of the guys that came to mind straight away were Holohan (had an excellent 17/18), Derek Brennan (consistently good shot stopper until he finished in '17), Colin McGrath who was a scorer and a stopper for Martins, Stephen Murphy who has been consistent for OLG throughout the decade. I'd actually give a very tight nod to Enda Cleere based on the huge role he played in the Bridge's back to back promotions, hes been very good at the senior grade too and I think they'll miss him when he's done.

Full back line

Again if you go through all the grades over a decade your going to throw up a serious amount of good hurlers and loads of lads who have had one or two good seasons. It's probably harder to pick out guys who were excellent or close to it over a long number of years. First man i'd pick at 2 is Paul Murphy I'd say most years for the past decade people having been picking Fort to go down and Paul, Richie, Paddy Hogan and Cathal O' Neill are big factors in them staying up. At no.3 I'd go for Joey Holden I'm probably being a bit harsh on guys like John Dalton and Aylward from Mullinavat who have serious hurling done at 3 but Joey has been excellent for a number of years now for Shamrocks. I'd go with Shane Prendergast at no.4, Shane was so good in the middle of the decade he got himself onto the Kilkenny team at 27 years of age and won an All Ireland medal starting corner back, that's no mean feat, won 2 county titles with Clara too.

Half Back Line

Loads of names jumping to mind here who have been very good over the decade, Jason Cleere and Enda Morrissey with the Bridge, Kieran Joyce with the Rower, Cathal O' Neill who I mentioned above for Danesfort, Jackie absolutely huge in 2011 for the Village, Mick Fennelly a colussus the last two years with Ballyhale, Darren Mullen the same, when push comes to shove though I'd go for Conor Delaney at no. 5, I genuinely think over the last 4 years youd struggle to find a better club defender than Delaney. At 6 I'd go with Cillian Buckley who has been a huge part in the Boro's rise over the last 10 years and at 7 I'd go with Paddy Deegan who again has been excellent with OLG for the last 4 or 5 years.

Midfield

The dinner is cooking so I may speed the process up here, again theres loads of guys who have had an excellent year here and excellent year there but if im looking for consistency I'd have to go with Lester Ryan as one midfielder, hes played everywhere for Clara and is still a serious operator at club level, second man I'd go with is Michael Rice, again I think hes been so instrumental for Carrickshock over the last decade, from the highs of county finals to the dogged relegation battles hes been a standout throughout.

Half Forward Line

Again there really is a mountain of players you could put in the forwards, I'm going to start with a player I mentioned earlier Richie Hogan, Danesfort would not be senior without him and that goes without any doubt in my opinion. At no.11 I'll go with TJ and I don't think any explanation is needed there again. The Half forward line is slightly disjointed but I'm going with Eoin Larkin, Larks was literally unplayable at the start of the decade, had a dip for a couple of years and the finished the decade strong again in a deeper role with the Village.

Full Forward Line

Loads of guys in with a shout here but the first man I'd put in has been quietly doing his business for the whole decade is Eoin Reid, his ability to consistently score is huge for Ballyhale, he is so underrated in my opinion and the amount he has won is unbelievable. I'd put Gorta at no.14, it beggars belief that he is still hurling at such a high level almost 10 years after he finished with Kilkenny, he genuinely still hurls like a young lad! The final player I'd put in at No. 15 is Colin Fennelly I'd love to know how many goals he has for Ballyhale in the last 10 years, I know the last few have been particularly fruitful but hes gone from a lightning fast inside forward to an unbelievable battering ram inside and I couldnt leave him out.

Again loads of brilliant players left out, feel free to throw a few names out there yereselves, mine is by no means flawless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

I did not argue with anyone all I said as long as Cody goes down the road he is going we going nowhere . As for one difference I did not mention Leahy Murphy, keogan ,brown . Scanlon ,Walter Walsh bill Sheehan. Bill Ryan Carey ,Tommy Walsh ,Brazil Michail Cody , these are the lads I saw . No point in having lads on panel when you don’t give them chance . As for Padraig Walsh I saw him on numerous occasions play well at centre forward particularly against Ballyragget in what was one of the great games It’s what tj Would benefit from playing along side him . If the inside forward line is no good well we’re ****ed because hogan and fennely will be there and after looking at young Coady against Laois he looked so far above all others . As for midfield well can only go by what I see and listening to people that are involved with these players for Ollie The village man mark him for the last few years . Destroyed Leahy in Gowran last year and that’s from the rower lads Ans is the best passer of a ball bar none and as for Lawlor well oloughlins must know best there again saw him 2 least year against Bridge in Gowan and the ground he covered and ball he moved . He struggling at fullback at moment

On your first line, explain what you mean by what way cody is going? Your team is nothing different except a full back midfielder and a former panelist with him who previously failed when on the panel. Delaney full back isn't going to change too much, padraig walsh could work but feel he is better half back. So where is cody going so far wrong in your mind

Just a pint on Michail Murphy not up to inter county standard . I would have being at most senior hurling matches for the last 2 years . For me he was the best forward on view particularly 2018/19 . They only way you know if he up to standard is you try him .
    It’s great to see how up to date you are with young Lawlor and midfield didn’t realise he could not play midfield I must have being mistaking when I thought he played under 21 for Kilkenny in midfield , played midfield for loug and also played midfield for Kilkenny seniors what I would like to see from midfielders they would seem to have the blend I would like and for what I herd about both of them they are very dedicated .

What I mean about the road he going down first the players he trying being defensive more than attacking . He. Brings in players to keep selectors quite but never plays them young kenny and Nolan from the boro being prime example plus the full back from mullinvat . They way he treats players . To me no manager has the right to turn his back on a player leaving the field this something as a person I could never accept whether you win or loose . When players give there all they deserve respect remember most of his all Ireland’s were won with the greatest panel of players ever I have no doubt there were plenty of people would have succeeded. Think of all the genuine players that gave there all for Kilkenny and were denied all Ireland medals because he had his village players in that had no right to be there . That includes his sons There again some genuine players David blanchfield sheflin have showing there better players than village players . Remember we just out of league and 2 big matches we were found wanting the defeat in Wexford was the worst defeat I have seeing in any sport 2 pints up with 20 minutes to go and a gale in your back and we take of the only forward we had as for Clare I suppose you were at it we might have got a draw but that was Clare doing not ours and there we had to watch the same old thing hit it and run after it . I do accept we are limited with first 15/20 but when a team goes out with no plan no coaching . To me to see the difference in standard between Wexford and Kilkenny was alarming . When you see people like leister Ryan and the way he was treated and he still does it to players . When you look how easy the shamrocks make it with proper coaching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Also funny Savannah disappeared when codyout appeared

Still here just hiding in the long grass. Made my point did not feel the need to continue making it but have quite enjoyed the banter between Codyout and most of you. I do not agree that Cody is pro village to the exclusion of other clubs or that he should be replaced but he has to do more to correct the problems with our forwards and our forward play. I agree with Codyout we are stagnant, reachig an AI semi final is not an acceptable goal and there are many players out there who should have been given a decent chance not least being Tom Phelan. After Reid, Fennelly, Donnelly, and possibly Ryan we have nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

What a game that 2014 final was. Look at how far back we are since then.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    What a game that 2014 final was. Look at how far back we are since then.

Look at all the great players we lost after that final, still managed a win 2015 ran out of steam 2016 it was the end of the road for that team.

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Look at all the great players we lost after that final, still managed a win 2015 ran out of steam 2016 it was the end of the road for that team.

I know Waterford have gotten our stats from the limerick game last year and are studying the way we dealt with them.so we might still have something to offer

I know Waterford have gotten our stats from the limerick game last year and are studying the way we dealt with them.so we might still have something to offer

I hope we have something to offer never said we had not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Fred Daly wrote: »
    I hope we have something to offer never said we had not.

Murphy
    Mullen Lawlor Wallace
    Delaney Walsh Deegan
    Fogarty Leahy
    Reid Donnelly AAAAAAA
    Ryan Fennelly BBBBBBB

Unless we find A&B we are going no where and please do not say Ritchie Hogan. A great player in his day but his day is long gone mostly due to injury. The rest of our current forwards should be charged with impersonation

Murphy
    Mullen Lawlor Wallace
    Delaney Walsh Deegan
    Fogarty Leahy
    Reid Donnelly AAAAAAA
    Ryan Fennelly BBBBBBB

Unless we find A&B we are going no where and please do not say Ritchie Hogan. A great player in his day but his day is long gone mostly due to injury. The rest of our current forwards should be charged with impersonation

Still think joey will be in the corner and you could see Mullen midfield possibly
    With p walsh .leahy to a wing and find b possible try young cody

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement