Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

McGaggs wrote: »
    They aren't a bank. They operate here under a Lithuanian emoney licence.

That’s an e money licence, not a banking licence. Payment Institutions are not allowed to receive deposits or other repayable funds from the public and must use funds exclusively to provide payment services.

They do not offer bank accounts as they are not authorised to received deposits.

So the question remains - how are Revolut operating the services that they provide in Ireland without a banking licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

That’s an e money licence, not a banking licence. Payment Institutions are not allowed to receive deposits or other repayable funds from the public and must use funds exclusively to provide payment services.

They do not offer bank accounts as they are not authorised to received deposits.

So the question remains - how are Revolut operating the services that they provide in Ireland without a banking licence?

What service do you think is revolt offering in Ireland that is not covered by their electronic money license?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

_Brian wrote: »
    Have Revolut and the app on iPhone.

Occasionally in the phone Revolut pops up as of it were to be used as tap payment.

I’ve no idea how this appears, (big thick farmers fingers).

How does this work, can I use this for tap payments.

You must have set up apple pay with your revolut card.

What service do you think is revolt offering in Ireland that is not covered by their electronic money license?

Receiving deposits. Surely that’s what is happening in practice in order to facilitate payment for goods and services? Am I missing something that enables them to operate in the way they do here?

Receiving deposits. Surely that’s what is happening in practice in order to facilitate payment for goods and services? Am I missing something that enables them to operate in the way they do here?

Yes the fact that when you send them € they convert it into Revolut electronic money which is hold in their wallet.

And when you spend money with the card or cash out via transfer they convert that shiny Revolut money back onto what ever fiat currency you are spending.

Same as loads of other electronic money companies.

Which is why holding money in your Revolut wallet (not bank account) is covered by different rules and hence not guaranteed by the bank guarantee scheme but a rather complicated safe guarding process.

That is unless you are a customer in Lithuania or Poland and you have an account with Revolut Bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I'm in Ireland. I top up my Revolut account using a BoI debit card.

I have a Chase checking account in the US. Can I transfer funds from that to my Revolut account? When I go to Add Money->Easy bank transfer, the only options listed are AIB, BoI, PTSB, Ulster Bank.

leck wrote: »
    I'm in Ireland. I top up my Revolut account using a BoI debit card.

I have a Chase checking account in the US. Can I transfer funds from that to my Revolut account? When I go to Add Money->Easy bank transfer, the only options listed are AIB, BoI, PTSB, Ulster Bank.

EU customers do not get an US local bank account for transfers and ACH also does not work.

Options are
    Wire transfer to the LT IBAN in $ which is expensive
    Use the Chase Debit Card directly
    Use the Chase Debit Card via Apple Pay

Or get a transfer wise borderless account, a local US transfer to it via ACH and than throw it over to Revolut which is both costly and time consuming.

Or using your SSN and Us address create US Revolut account, load that and transfer to your EU Revolut account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

After each top up I'm getting a prompt to link my bank account. Is the any benefit to having the account linked rather than my card?

Also, I keep getting daily notifications about the price of gold and silver. I've nothing selected in either of those in my commodities section. Is there a way to stop these notifications?

Yes the fact that when you send them € they convert it into Revolut electronic money which is hold in their wallet.

And when you spend money with the card or cash out via transfer they convert that shiny Revolut money back onto what ever fiat currency you are spending.

Same as loads of other electronic money companies.

Which is why holding money in your Revolut wallet (not bank account) is covered by different rules and hence not guaranteed by the bank guarantee scheme but a rather complicated safe guarding process.

That is unless you are a customer in Lithuania or Poland and you have an account with Revolut Bank.

I don’t understand the process but your explanation would explain the absence of a banking licence.

What about trading in securities? Sure they would need a MIFID authorisation?

I don’t understand the process but your explanation would explain the absence of a banking licence.

What about trading in securities? Sure they would need a MIFID authorisation?

Revolut is not always Revolut as in one entity, you might see it that way because it’s all in the same app but you are dealing with different Revolut companies who have all appropriate authority.

As an example:

Trading and investment services are provided by Revolut Trading Ltd (No. 832790). Revolut Trading Ltd is an appointed representative of Resolution Compliance Ltd (No. 574048) which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Revolut Trading Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Revolut Ltd.

If you go into the app you can see the relevant information for your country.

• Advertisement

Revolut is not always Revolut as in one entity, you might see it that way because it’s all in the same app but you are dealing with different Revolut companies who have all appropriate authority.

As an example:

Trading and investment services are provided by Revolut Trading Ltd (No. 832790). Revolut Trading Ltd is an appointed representative of Resolution Compliance Ltd (No. 574048) which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Revolut Trading Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Revolut Ltd.

If you go into the app you can see the relevant information for your country.

So the trading company has an FCA licence which is now outside the EU. So that would mean they can’t passport investment services into Ireland under MIFID. They would have to get authorized under Mifid here. Maybe they could apply to be authorized as a branch of a third country with a Regulatory regime that’s equivalent to ours. Not sure if that’s a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭This is it

Issues accessing Revolut app due to the GME trading

So the trading company has an FCA licence which is now outside the EU. So that would mean they can’t passport investment services into Ireland under MIFID. They would have to get authorized under Mifid here. Maybe they could apply to be authorized as a branch of a third country with a Regulatory regime that’s equivalent to ours. Not sure if that’s a runner.

I’m sorry but I have to ask, which financial service provider or bank do you work for?

Read the terms and you know how them having a UK license is dealt with since the 1st of January:
    https://www.revolut.com/en-IE/legal/trading

I’m sorry but I have to ask, which financial service provider or bank do you work for?

Read the terms and you know how them having a UK license is dealt with since the 1st of January:
    https://www.revolut.com/en-IE/legal/trading

I’m out of the industry a while now but I’ve been trying to figure out how and why the Fintech companies are light years ahead of the Banks here in the services they can offer customers. Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

I’m out of the industry a while now but I’ve been trying to figure out how and why the Fintech companies are light years ahead of the Banks here in the services they can offer customers. Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

Because they start off reselling 3rd party services in a nicely branded central app and they get successful enough they start slowly replacing each and every service with their own.

Revolut started with using the wallet of GPS, the outbound payments of Currency cloud, currency exchange functions of GPS, individual account numbers by if I remember this right paysafe and cards issued by wire card. They just wrote an App that got all of it into one place and under one name. Than marketed it heavy and burned through money.

The idea is Revolut was to use technology to make it easier and cheaper but they started with minimum own technology beside the integration.

Than when customer liked what they say they slowly replaced the functions with their own software, services and license.

And these days they have their own IBAN, the wallet is theirs and they issues their own cards to maximize revenue.

And once they got successful they continue to reduce what is free slowly to bring more people into fee based services.

I hope that helps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Here's an odd one that really surprised me today. I mistakenly paid for an amazon purchase today using my AIB debit card, instead of Revolut. I checked how much the current rate would charge me on Revolut for conversion, then checked what AIB charged and it was 30 cent cheaper. It blew my preconceived notions of Revolut always been cheaper for sterling. Have I missed something?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

delly wrote: »
    Here's an odd one that really surprised me today. I mistakenly paid for an amazon purchase today using my AIB debit card, instead of Revolut. I checked how much the current rate would charge me on Revolut for conversion, then checked what AIB charged and it was 30 cent cheaper. It blew my preconceived notions of Revolut always been cheaper for sterling. Have I missed something?

Yep, it’s just a pending transaction at the minute, when it’s applied to your account their commission will be added to it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Yep, it’s just a pending transaction at the minute, when it’s applied to your account their commission will be added to it.

Ah, that explains it then. I naively thought the amount I see now would be the final amount. Cheers for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anybody mess about with the shares speculation in Revolut?

Tried to cash out today and it declined multiple times.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »

W@nkers

I tried to trade out gains from amc stock and it’s half the value it was when I plaved order. They cancelled the order after leaving it on pending for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Drumpot wrote: »
    W@nkers

I tried to trade out gains from amc stock and it’s half the value it was when I plaved order. They cancelled the order after leaving it on pending for ages

Surely that's not right you should have got price from the pending

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭This is it

Got some out at $315, left some in to keep it interesting

Surely that's not right you should have got price from the pending

Nope, they cancelled several pending ones. I can see them but they are cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Apologies for the stupid question.

If I am looking to pay for something on Amazon in GBP for example, is this the most cost effective way to do it?

1. Add funds to my Euro account on Revolut from my debit card.
    2. Sell from my Euro account on Revolut to the GPB account.
    3. Place the order on Amazon in GBP.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Apologies for the stupid question.

If I am looking to pay for something on Amazon in GBP for example, is this the most cost effective way to do it?

1. Add funds to my Euro account on Revolut from my debit card.
    2. Sell from my Euro account on Revolut to the GPB account.
    3. Place the order on Amazon in GBP.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

You can leave out the second step as Revoult will do that for you. Just add funds to your EUR account and make sure to select pay in GBP on Amazon, enter your Revolut card details and FX conversion will happen on the fly.

If you already have enough GBP held on Revolut it will use this for your purchase, if not it will convert what it needs and take the full amount from your EUR account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

doney84 wrote: »
    You can leave out the second step as Revoult will do that for you. Just add funds to your EUR account and make sure to select pay in GBP on Amazon, enter your Revolut card details and FX conversion will happen on the fly.

If you already have enough GBP held on Revolut it will use this for your purchase, if not it will convert what it needs and take the full amount from your EUR account.

Thanks so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

delly wrote: »

Tbf. Yesterday I noticed Amazon had a better sterling to euro conversion than revolut significantly so. I've never seen this happen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Drumpot wrote: »
    W@nkers

AMC is up 133 % now

• Advertisement

2forjoy wrote: »
    AMC is up 133 % now

Was up over 500% at one stage!

Advertisement