Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Least favourite pro golfer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Garcia is just a complete and utter clown.

But, was still happy for him when he won his Masters.

The spitting is a bit strange alright.

I agree, personality aside, a golfer of his stature deserves a major, for the same reason I feel a certain regret that Montgomery, Westwood and Donald’s careers will probably pass them by without that accolade.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dav010 wrote: »
    I agree, personality aside, a golfer of his stature deserves a major, for the same reason I feel a certain regret that Montgomery, Westwood and Donald’s careers will probably pass them by without that accolade.

It is kind of strange - because If I don't like a person in another sport - I'm not happy to see them win.

It is probably because we know what it takes, to be that good, we probably know how good they are from our greater understanding of the sport.

No matter how much of an arse the person is, we understand the pain a little more.

Monty a good example. Would love to see Westwood win one.

Was delight for Clarke, but the bloke is another spoilt child and so fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

+3. Rose is a far more dignified chap altogether but I was 100% behind Garcia when he won at Augusta in 2017. There was a real sense of this was possibly the last chance he had to win a major so it felt like a majority of fans were willing to overlook just how rude, petulant and ill disciplined he has been for pretty much his entire career. Great tournament it was too, one of the decade's best imo.

It is kind of strange - because If I don't like a person in another sport - I'm not happy to see them win.

It is probably because we know what it takes, to be that good, we probably know how good they are from our greater understanding of the sport.

No matter how much of an arse the person is, we understand the pain a little more.

Monty a good example. Would love to see Westwood win one.

Was delight for Clarke, but the bloke is another spoilt child and so fake.

I don't think its over for Westwood, unlikely but he could do a Clarke and win one yet. Monty was a real shame, such a great golfer.

I too was happy for Garcia although what i've seen from him since i would just like to see him drift off the scene now. I don't enjoy seeing him at all anymore.
    How he could have had the life he has had and be that much of a petulant prick i just don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I don't think its over for Westwood, unlikely but he could do a Clarke and win one yet. Monty was a real shame, such a great golfer.

I too was happy for Garcia although what i've seen from him since i would just like to see him drift off the scene now. I don't enjoy seeing him at all anymore.
    How he could have had the life he has had and be that much of a petulant prick i just don't understand.

Golf is an insular game where attention is focused on the individual more so than team sports, Watson by all accounts is a dislikable character but I was hugely disappointed when he didn’t win the Open in 2009.

Westwood, like Clarke, his best chance of eventually winning a Major is the Open, so there is still a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I know Rahm can be hard work , but I'd give him time.

World number 2 - 25 years of age.

Garcia going on like that in his late 30s.

But there is nothing worse that someone like that on a course. In fact, nightmare when you get one, even at amateur level.

In fairness, it’s almost a certainty that Rahm will win majors - prob end up winning his first one by like 7-10 shots or something blitzing the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Sergio for all the reasons already outlined.

Tyrell Hatton, the annoying little head on him.

JB Holmes and his 27 practice swings. Can't say I was distraught at his final round meltdown at Portrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Tiger - Probably the greatest asshole to ever swing a club in professional golf history, with multiple examples of horrible behaviour yet is still adored by some.

Monty - Probably second only to tiger, thank god he is gone from television screens

Kuchar - Awful individual

Honourable mentions for cantlay, jb, bryson and ben crane. All for timekeeping abuse....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Don’t hold back lol

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Rory McBottler. What a grade A wa*kstain ..

I truly get enjoyment out of him failing...

And boy oh boy do I get value from the Bottler ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭kyleman

galwayllm wrote: »

I think you described yourself very well in the first sentence.
    This a forum for people interested in golf.
    Go and post rubbish in the After Hours forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

galwayllm wrote: »

Just as well he has 100s of millions of reasons to laugh at you!!

I dont think he could sleep otherwise.

After you got stopped on the other thread you had to start here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Don't feed the troll as they have gone on holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

patob wrote: »
    Sir Nick gets a bad rap, but I remember him from hanging round the practice ground at many Irish Opens and he was always patient and sound, always signing autographs for the kids. I quite like his commentating style these days too.

I always wondered about him and whether the UK media brought out the worst in him. But.....

A pro I know is English and Faldo was his hero for years. He finally got him to make an appearance at his club for an event and was so excited about meeting him in person. He was subsequently mortified by Faldo's behaviour and how he treated the members and people who turned out to see him. The pro in question is a gentleman and was devastated by the whole affair. Both with how the day turned out and the fact that he lost his hero.

I remember when I read "Life Swings" by Nick Faldo years ago I thought it was a good book, but that even his own description of himself did not paint him in a good light. One thing that really stuck in my head was him having the births of his children induced so that they did not clash with his playing schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was only young kid back then in 1997 at the Druids Glen driving range looking at Monty and Faldo but can honestly say never liked the 2 from that day on. Their behaviour was appalling, especially Monty, pity he beat Westwood that weekend.

Remember when Monty went into the water on 18 the year later and the crowd cheered? Was reason for that...

I was only young kid back then in 1997 at the Druids Glen driving range looking at Monty and Faldo but can honestly say never liked the 2 from that day on. Their behaviour was appalling, especially Monty, pity he beat Westwood that weekend.

Remember when Monty went into the water on 18 the year later and the crowd cheered? Was reason for that...

What was their behaviour like?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What was their behaviour like?

Awful.

Both were just complete and utter snobs. I remember they're a Bunker Practise area on left of practise range and Faldo was practicing there. He was giving grieve to steward that they're no set of balls around area and that Faldo and caddie has drag balls with them. He embarrassed the young lad in front of people watching on. No need for it.

I have lost track of a amount of things Monty was complaining about on Range and on the course. Pity Westwood did not win that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Probably would be McIlroy tbh, it's irrational and I can't quite put my finger on why but I just cannot warm to him at all and will root against him when in contention.

Honorable mentions for Garcia (obv reasons) Holmes (slow play) Kuchar (caddie-gate)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Paul McGinley and Ewen Murray are very very annoying as commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Paul McGinley and Ewen Murray are very very annoying as commentators.

I was talking to a mate of mine at the weekend, and he made a good point about McGinley, that his standing in the game is vastly higher than his actual achievements in it. Also he pronounces tournaments over and crowns champions on Thursday and Friday. Its annoying as you would think he would know better. On the flip side, Rich Beem is a cool dude, and a major winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Faldo gets an awful bad rap here... Back in the old Faldo series I got to meet him and play a few holes with him and he was a gent to all the juniors involved.. Still have an old Rextar ball he gave us.
    Also he was very generous to a friend of mine who lost his brother when young and Faldo flew in to meet him in the hospital and sent over some merchandise from winning the Open one year to raffle off for a charity night for him.

I have to say Jordan Speith always annoys me, not sure what it is but do like to see him throw it away from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Awful.

Both were just complete and utter snobs. I remember they're a Bunker Practise area on left of practise range and Faldo was practicing there. He was giving grieve to steward that they're no set of balls around area and that Faldo and caddie has drag balls with them. He embarrassed the young lad in front of people watching on. No need for it.

I have lost track of a amount of things Monty was complaining about on Range and on the course. Pity Westwood did not win that weekend.

Complete and utter God complex.

You can kinda understand how it happens, 5 star treatment, travel, resorts all the way. In them places it is like going back to the days of the Great British Empire with an almost , not even almost, but a servant type environment.

We have to accept, the scene that the top guys live in , has a risk of detaching them from the real world .

Someone was holding a towel up to keep sun off dechambeau practicing the other day.

Picture doing the rounds on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Matt Fitzpatrick - cheer the F*** up you grumpy little sh**e

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

Someone was holding a towel up to keep sun off dechambeau practicing the other day.
    To be fair to Dechambeau on this - he was practicing his putting and the guy was holding the towel where his ball was so there weren't any shadows in his line.

davegilly wrote: »
    To be fair to Dechambeau on this - he was practicing his putting and the guy was holding the towel where his ball was so there weren't any shadows in his line.

Yeah he practices with a laser and needed the towel so he could see the laser better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It's a toss up between two tossers.

Montgomerie. Flicked through his autobiography which was released at the time of the 2010 RC. One of the pictures had him posing alongside a full scale oil portrait of himself he had commissioned in which he was notably slimmer and had a pensive stare off into the distance. A deeply narcissistic, egotistical arse hole with a horribly effective swing that needed absolute silence to execute at all times.

Darren Clarke. As others have pointed out he's a classic David Simms type ie playing the genial and jovial rascal when the cameras are trained on him but reverting back to being a base, rude and surly prick when out of contention and thus no cameras around. The way he threw McGinley under the bus during machinations for the Ryder Cup captaincy in 2014 was validation. "Oh, I see that the US have selected Tom Watson as captain? I think our side should also have a high profile major personality of similar stature as our captain unlike my (future former) friend Paul who although it is all but certain he is getting the gig having long paid his dues he is nowhere near well known enough as Watson is unlike Monty who is musing a return or.....quelle surprise...me. I'd be more than happy to throw my hat in the ring and try to shaft my friend for my own ambitions but when it is made abundantly clear to all and sundry that Paul is to be offered the role I will withdraw from consideration because, despite pretences, that's exactly the kind of asshole I am renowned for and which does nothing to enhance my likability".

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Remind me wrote: »
    Matt Fitzpatrick - cheer the F*** up you grumpy little sh**e

He still isn't in the same league as Tyler hatton and matt Wallace - those 2 Reed and Kuchar- a football from hell

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Nobody cheered louder than I did that day. And I was delighted when David Carter beat him in the playoff.

I've been to a lot of tournaments and Montgomerie was definitely one of the most obnoxious human beings I ever encountered. The way he treated stewards, the public, camera men etc. was truly awful.

One of my favourite "sporting" moments came a few years ago. Sky Sports were covering a Major and the panel of 4 included Jack Nicklaus and Montgomerie. They were talking about golfing greats and at one stage Nicklaus said,
    "To be remembered as a great golfer, you have to win a Major. Sorry Colin!"

The camera went straight to Montgomerie and his face was a picture!

Worth every penny of my Sky Sports subscription! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Nobody cheered louder than I did that day. And I was delighted when David Carter beat him in the playoff.

I've been to a lot of tournaments and Montgomerie was definitely one of the most obnoxious human beings I ever encountered. The way he treated stewards, the public, camera men etc. was truly awful.

One of my favourite "sporting" moments came a few years ago. Sky Sports were covering a Major and the panel of 4 included Jack Nicklaus and Montgomerie. They were talking about golfing greats and at one stage Nicklaus said,
    "To be remembered as a great golfer, you have to win a Major. Sorry Colin!"

The camera went straight to Montgomerie and his face was a picture!

Worth every penny of my Sky Sports subscription! :D

I was there that day. Monty said he’d never play in Ireland again. I met Ernie Els in the car park. No one else around at all. Back then he was my favourite golfer. What a day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I was there that day. Monty said he’d never play in Ireland again. I met Ernie Els in the car park. No one else around at all. Back then he was my favourite golfer. What a day out.

That's gas! I have a lovely photo of my brother in law and myself sitting at a picnic bench in Druid's Glen that weekend, having a pint with Ernie Els.

Back then, the Irish Open was a mega event, attracting huge names. I think John Daly played that week also.

I also remember that Clarke refused to play in the Opens at Druids Glen. The rumour was that the owner of the place had pictures of Irish Republican heroes (from 1916, I think) on the walls in the manor house and Clarke didn't like that. I've never had that confirmed as fact......

Advertisement