Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst scam you've fallen for

Options
  • 08-08-2019 1:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

or almost fell for. A couple years back, I got the "gardai virus" (type of scareware) on my laptop which said I'd need to pay €150 to unlock my laptop. I stupidly entered my debit card details and on the weekend, found that not just €150 but 300 was taken from account leaving me with just €20. Canceled the card and reported it to the bank who unfortunately couldn't refund it.

Friends werea a bit shocked as they said I'm a computer nerd but they themselves have also fallen victim to ponzi schemes etc and one even lent his camera to a stranger who ran off in Tanzania...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Prince in Nigeria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

‘Lending’ all my confirmation money to my mother in 1985

Turns out it wasn’t a ‘loan’ as I never got it back.... #bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

fortunately, *touch wood*, I have never fallen to any of these.
    I remember that Garda one. Got it myself. They used the Garda insignia too. Douchebags.
    I was a little freaked ou for a minute or so but quickly realised why on earth would the police be looking for money to unlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

Bought a bit of hash off a fella in a pub down past Connolly station on the quays years ago (What could go wrong).
    He dissapeared with my 50 euro, and I was left with a square of Cadburys chocolate wrapped in tin foil...
    Bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

When I was 12 I was selling strawberrys on the side of the road. Some older kid conviced me that we was collecting the cash for the manager. Almost immediately after he left I realised how stupid I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Lad I worked with got caught with the top of the range laptop from a car sale. Expensive argos book purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

G Shock wrote: »
    Bought a bit of hash off a fella in a pub down past Connolly station on the quays years ago (What could go wrong).
    He dissapeared and I was left with a square of Cadburys chocolate wrapped in tin foil...
    Bastard!

At least you got some name brand chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Ex-Wife - said she would love me and the 5 kids forever.She took half my money and is now shacked up with a Nigerian prince.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He dissapeared with my 50 euro, and I was left with a square of Cadburys chocolate wrapped in tin foil...
    Bastard!

Did you at least eat it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Not an offical scam but I felt like an idiot and robbed due to my own stupidity

In new York, wrecked from.shopping all.day with herself and sick of shops plus walking!!

I was standing outside some.clothing store while herself was inside

Outside the store there was this beauty stall [hand wash, facial creams, etc]

Anyway this sales woman walks over to me and grabs my arm and basically says oh come try our hand wash ****e etc

So tired and unwilling to decline I went about 5 feet away

So 2 min later im washing my hands into a basin and sure doesn't the water look off colour [prob eating, touching money etc all day] and she is look oh great cleaning product bla bla

Then she rubs some creams on my hand while bigging up the product and its natural origins and ****e

Im a male and couldnt give a f to be honest

Anyway , im half alseep and she is like 'will you take a bit for you and the wife and I asked how much?

50 dollars she said

And why the **** I didn't walk away then i dunno

Handed 50 quid for bascially a bar of soap and cream

Wife comes out and big smile oh what did you buy

I just handed her the bag in my own disgust and said lets not talk about it

I hated myself for blowing 50 dollars but being so tired I just wanted that woman to **** off

5 years ago and still annoys me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Bastard!

Is it not €30 for a bar now? €50 for an eighth ounce of weed....but what do I know:D

Is it not €30 for a bar now? €50 for an eighth ounce of weed....but what do I know:D

I wouldn't have a clue these days tbh..

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Did you at least eat it?
    Na, it got hurled into the Liffey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

wally1990 wrote: »
    Not an offical scam but I felt like an idiot and robbed due to my own stupidity

In new York, wrecked from.shopping all.day with herself and sick of shops plus walking!!

I was standing outside some.clothing store while herself was inside

Outside the store there was this beauty stall [hand wash, facial creams, etc]

Anyway this sales woman walks over to me and grabs my arm and basically says oh come try our hand wash ****e etc

So tired and unwilling to decline I went about 5 feet away

So 2 min later im washing my hands into a basin and sure doesn't the water look off colour [prob eating, touching money etc all day] and she is look oh great cleaning product bla bla

Then she rubs some creams on my hand while bigging up the product and its natural origins and ****e

Im a male and couldnt give a f to be honest

Anyway , im half alseep and she is like 'will you take a bit for you and the wife and I asked how much?

50 dollars she said

And why the **** I didn't walk away then i dunno

Handed 50 quid for bascially a bar of soap and cream

Wife comes out and big smile oh what did you buy

I just handed her the bag in my own disgust and said lets not talk about it

I hated myself for blowing 50 dollars but being so tired I just wanted that woman to **** off

5 years ago and still annoys me

I was sure you were going to say that the shopping bags were nicked.

I'm a bit disappointed now to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The attractive woman who approached me in a bar that turned out to be a hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

About 13 at the time got caught with the leather belt trick by the usual suspects at the annual point to point. £10 lost which was a fortune to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

The attractive woman who approached me in a bar that turned out to be a hooker.

Cheaper than a girlfriend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

One and only time something like this has ever happened, I'm usually very careful, but I got caught by a fake website geared towards providing info to people on how to use bitcoins safely. Link on the website led to cloned coin washer that was fake. Lost 200 Euro I think. Was annoyed for 24 hours, but then just had to admire what a good job they'd done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

This wasn't a scam by any means but I'll post it anyhow because it'll give some a laugh.
    A few years ago, I was on a boozy weekend city break with some girlfriends in a European city.
    We were well on this one evening, and walking around an area deciding on pubs and clubs to go into.
    This really friendly local girl suddenly appears at our side and there's the usual drunken bants, although I realised after she was sober!
    So my friends start following her to a pub door so I figure, cool we've made a new friend and she's taking us to her local.
    So in we go and a few seconds later, I turn to my friends and say 'Where's your woman gone?'.
    They had a great laugh explaining that she wasn't actually a new friend but a promoter for the pub trying to bring in business.
    It wasn't a sun resort and wasn't a busy area at all so I really thought she just wanted to tag along for a night of girl's fun!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

TV licence. Every year they get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

That time I bought a '7 Minute Abs' dvd.

Turned out it was only '6 Minute Abs', fcuker stiffed me out of a whole minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Smashmouth

Bought a ringtone sometime in the early-mid 2000s. ****ers took money out of my credit for weeks. And the ringtone was ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Paid a street hawker €20 to get into the coliseum, facepalm 🀦*♂️

Wife got stung by a phone scam and let a guy onto her laptop by vpn, got her banking details and got stung for 10 grand , lucky it wasn’t more as we were building a house.
    The bank got it back a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

With this ring ....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Bastard!

A similar thing happend to me in paris. Bought weed for 50 quid turned out to be just leaves wrapped up. Couldnt see in a dark alley thats my excuse.
    Felt like some idiot : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

TV licence. Every year they get me.

Pay €160 to go towards Tubridy's €495,000 a year salary? No thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

FFred wrote: »
    ‘Lending’ all my confirmation money to my mother in 1985

Turns out it wasn’t a ‘loan’ as I never got it back.... #bitter

Please tell me you're joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

tried to order a stripper off some site, turned out to be a honeypot and demanded significant money not to call my place of work

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Anyone who's been in Southeast Asia is usually scammed within the first few days lol.

The travel agents with the cheap as chips fees with massive commission on top is one that got me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Those pull-up competitions in public places. The bar rotates to force you to lose your grip once you get a few in. Think I did one drunk. €5 I'll never see again.

Advertisement